Car emergency axe?

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Therealredding, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Therealredding

Therealredding Scout

Blog Posts:
    I am putting together an emergency kit for my car, you know the standard blanket, food, rope, tarp, knife, shovel and so on. I'm looking for suggestions for an axe to throw into this kit. I'm looking for something that can replace a large survival knife but can still handle falling smaller trees. I currently have a Gransfors Bruks Small Foresters Axe and I love it, but the price to get another one seems a little high for something that's just gonna sit in the car.....I guess it could act as a back up bushcraft axe if I forget the GB at home..

Any suggestions?

2. Slade74

Slade74 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    thought about cold steel tomahawks?

3. Lars

Lars Angry German Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The Fiskars X7 is a great little axe for around $25. I have one in my Jeep.

4. exomatt

exomatt Tracker

Blog Posts:
    the x7 is handy, but I prefer the x15, as it gives you a bit more haft to swing with. Its a fantastic axe for the price.

5. Shnick

Shnick Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I hacked a path through 12" pine trees after this guy tore up all sorts of stuff near the house.
    All I had was a Craftsman Hatchet and a Bolo Machete.

EDIT:
    My wife quit asking me why I kept an axe and machete under the Jeeps back seat...LOL

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  6. Roamer

Roamer Guide

Blog Posts:
    I keep an Estwing hatchet in the car, just because it is so durable and foolproof.

7. bharner

bharner Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a Fiskars X7 and it's a decent little axe.
    But I keep a saw in my car. I had an Arkan-Saw, which is a takedown bow saw with metal, wood, and meat cutting blades that all goes inside an 18"x1" steel tube.
    It works pretty well. I've recently replaced it with a cheap "E-Limb-Inator" folding saw that was $8 .
    It works really well for small trees and removing limbs. Pair that with a decent, inexpensive machete and you're GTG for a lot of things.
    I keep the saw in the car in case I come across downed trees while I'm on the back roads I tend to enjoy and it's generally far quicker and more efficient than an hatchet/hand axe for little jobs.

Tapatalk ate my spelling and grammar.

8. Vanitas

Vanitas Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I keep a hand saw and an axe... the fiskars are a nice cheap option or just ebay an old boys axe head and rehaft a hadle to your length preference.

9. WoodsJack

WoodsJack Guide

Blog Posts:
    I keep this in the truck:

Ontario "SPAX"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Therealredding

Therealredding Scout

Blog Posts:
    The Fiskar seems like a good choice, I can grab it from almost any where. Just for more options.....how good words for Cold Steel axes?

11. Lutra

Lutra Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I keep a Council Tool boys axe in my truck. I literally can (and have) swung that axe all day comfortably, and it barely takes up any room. One of my favorite tools, and practical too.

12. Bax 40

Bax 40 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    DSC01591.jpg

This little jewell rides behind the back seat of my truck and has allowed me to get in my road a couple of times.

Larry

13. Shamrock73

Shamrock73 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I keep the M48 tactical hawk.

14. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Us Hawaiian we prefer a machete over an axe. I usually keep my Tiger Cane Knife in my truck, and my Golokized Martindale machete in my Suzuki wagon. They do get switched around occasionally.

I forgot to mention when I lived in McCall, Idaho some 30+ years ago a always carried my full size Plumb axe in the trunk of my Datsun. :3:

Tiger Cane Knife
    [​IMG]

"Golokized" Martindale Machete
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  15. WoodsJack

WoodsJack Guide

Blog Posts:
    I like that rope rug too!

16. cmac

cmac Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I picked up a "Ontario Knife Spec Plus SP8 Machete W/Sheath" at a gun show in 1996 for $20-$40 (don't remember exactly) and I have kept it in my Pathfinder along with a foldable pruning saw and an etool. Those three tools have been invaluable. To be honest, the pruning saw is one of those $10-$15 saws you get at a big box home improvement store, but it is one of the best tools to have around. It makes short work of 6" or less limbs or trees. I'm on my third or fourth one now.

The machete/hatchet is heavy and very useful for trimming, carving. I'll put on a leather glove and use it like a drawknife to remove bark. I've beaten the you-know-what out of it and it's held up through it all.

Read Reviews for the SP8 on Amazon here.

SpecOps SP8-95.jpg

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  17. Seniorman

Seniorman Guide

Blog Posts:
    I keep an old Estwing axe in the trunk of my car, and an even older 3½ lb Plumb axe in my truck. They work just fine.

S.M.

18. rdec

rdec Guide

Blog Posts:
    The Estwing long handle is a fine truck axe. It is realtively inexpensive, the head can't loosen, very strong and a good cutter, but due to the slim profile, not as good at splitting. However, a vehicle axe is most likely to be used for clearing blowdowns and such, not so much splitting. Several makers have a "Boy's Axe", typically 2.5 lb. head with a 28" handle that also work well. It's a good idea to have a saw, too. I prefer the "H" frame type YMMV.

If you get an Estwing, wax it or wipe it down from time to time, they do rust.

19. Therealredding

Therealredding Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm afraid I do not know much about axes, but when I was looking around the GB was rated very well and the price was at par with everything else. Mind you, for my bushcraft axe I was looking for something that would last me a life time so I figured the price was worth it.

The thing I really like about the GB forester is that it's sharp enough and just thin enough that I can do everything with it that I could with my esee5 knife but chop way more. I'd love to have that feature in my car axe as well....but like you said, $130 for a car axe? Nah.

I wish I could get the Council Tool Hudson Bay hatchet up here in Canada, but all I've found is the Hudson Bay foresters axe for like $150 :15:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  20. Long John Tinfoil

Long John Tinfoil Guide

Blog Posts:
    Somewhere at the bottom of the toolbox is one of these

[​IMG]

LJT

21. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Some of the kit includes a small snow shovel, a cold steel shovel, and cold steel hawk, cheater pipe, with all the comparments in the new vehicles it's nice to be able to remove the head of the hawk and get everything to fit pretty nicely. Small axe would work if I rearranged a few things...

22. Thaddius Bickerton

Thaddius Bickerton Guide

Blog Posts:
    It may be just an old wives tale, and I cannot even remember where I read or heard it, but I seem to recall that in alaska the airplanes use a all metal axe like the eastwing because in the event of a fire one can still salvage the axe with a usable handle.

I think there is more to the story but that's all I can recal at the moment.

I like eastwings, I prefer my wooden handle axe but that is nostalgia and taste.

Those prybar / hammer / hatchet things are useful if the metal is good in them. I have a few of those around also.

In fact having a prybar in a vehicle kit is a very useful thing to have along with a shovel and chain / tow strap and a come-a-long.

Thad

23. sarky

sarky Tracker

Blog Posts:
    For the car I use the Cold Steel spetznatz shovel. With the one side sharpened, it works just fine as a small axe.

24. Ned

Ned Scout

Blog Posts:
    What is that, a battle axe? xD I would rock that.

Don't forget a tow cable and booster battery. :)

25. Tundra

Tundra Scout

Blog Posts:
    I would suggest you carry a "survival" knife in your car too.

I carry a large potbelly knife under my car seat, in addition to my usual knife carry on my person.

Come to think of it, a kukri wouldn't be bad, or as others pointed out, a good folding saw.

Husqvarna makes a good axe at around 25% less than a GB.

26. PeterCartwright

PeterCartwright Guide

Blog Posts:
    Me too. Not pretty or nostalgic. Indestructible axe for whatever.

PC

27. CKjeep84

CKjeep84 Scout

Blog Posts:
    as far as a "survival" axe for the vehicle goes i have the Fiskars X15. redid the factory edge and its good to go. i like it for the durability of the handle and its not to heavy if i had to pack out. i feel that in a situation that you have to depend on a tool Not to break i rather go with a handle that is not made of wood. i know i could always re-make a wooden handle if i had to but if i'm trying to survive i rather be sending my time on surviving and not trying to fix an axe if i dont have to. i know there are better ones out there but for the 30 bucks you cant beat it. i have put my X15 though hell and it is still holding up just fine.

28. DarkXstar

DarkXstar Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nothing real special here for me I have a axe in every car most are just a vintage no name on a 24" haft. Last June when the derecho (basically a land hurricane)hit WV. I needed mine i had to cut 4 trees out of the way to get home and just the week before my wife was laughing at me asking why i had a axe in the trunk of the car. A 1 hour trip home took me over 5 hours.

29. Farmer

Farmer Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I keep a Pulaski and shovel in the truck. They both have been very helpful many times.

30. Long John Tinfoil

Long John Tinfoil Guide

Blog Posts:
    Going back to my Dad's grocery store when I was a kid, something like that has always been out by the loading dock anyplace that had product arriving in wooden crates. Generally called a "box tool" and used to peel, pry, slash, smash, bash, and bang anything that needs opening, closing or demolition. Cheap, fugly and pretty much indestructible. Like any multi-tool it does nothing really well, but lots of things well enough.

LJT

31. CongoChris

CongoChris Scout

Blog Posts:
    Same here, short d-handle shovel (due to space constraints, it's a Ranger) and a fiberglass handled pulaski. Easier to take care of for something that just sits in my tuck box, and easy to replace if someone pries open my truck box and makes off with my stuff.

32. jimbuddy

jimbuddy Scout

Blog Posts:
    I as well would recommend the Fiskars X15. Good all around axe, affordable, serviceable. Plus.....if in the back of the truck or trunk of a car, the handle will not get all moldy. Just oil the head once in a while.

33. highlander

highlander Guide

Blog Posts:
    My suggestion is any American made boy's axe. Council tools makes a good one from what I've heard. I have an older Collins Homestead in my truck.

34. Hiwa

Hiwa Guide

Blog Posts:
    Your in Canada , right? Go to Home depo and get the Estwing 16" Campers axe. ( $45). Big enough to do most jobs and short enough to stow easily.
    Go to MEC and get a collapsible rescue shovel when they're on sale if you can. I also keep a crowbar and a Gerber Prodigy under the Jeep seat , as well as a 20 oz. ripping hammer ( straight claw.)
    With these tools I can cut a tree blocking my way , cut seatbelts , smash windows out , pry a door open , dig out , and get underway again.

I've been looking at axes a lot lately...that one at Home Depo is the best deal going on a new one. Plus , it's a great camp axe if you forget to bring your normal carry. ( For me , it is my normally carried axe for camp.)

35. rthrasher2

rthrasher2 Scout

Blog Posts:
  36. Therealredding

Therealredding Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was leaning the Fiskars route but then I saw a few reviews saying how easily the handle melted, in a car fire that wouldn't be good.

37. rthrasher2

rthrasher2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    But to be fair You would be hard pressed to find something that can't be destroyed in a car fire.

38. Therealredding

Therealredding Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is true, but the handle on the Fiskars is really susceptible to heat and fire. One video I saw the guy used the axe to just do a quick poke into his camp fire and it melted a bit....Wood would handle fire better then that.

I ended up doing what Hiwa suggested and grabbed the 16" Estwing Camping Axe. I had to put a little work into the edge with my Work Sharp but this axe will do nicely.

I do have to say....The Estwing axe was about half the price as my GB small foresters axe and I can really see the difference in the quality and see why the GB is more expensive.

39. rthrasher2

rthrasher2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well yeah its gonna melt some, just like a wood handle is gonna burn some. Expecting it not to, is like putting your hand in a fire and expecting not to get burnt. And why would you intentionally put your fire susceptible tools in a fire in the first place?

40. Sagebrush

Sagebrush Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have carried an early version of a Mineral Mountain EMT axe in my vehicle emergency bag for
    about 15 years. Never had to use it, but it will chop wood and it has the heft to hack into a car
    door if I had to. The current version is shaped a little different.

mmaxe3.jpg

mmaxe2.jpg

mmaxe1.jpg

41. scottman

scottman Guide

Blog Posts:
    estwing would be a natural for this. A good saw would be nice too.

42. stronghorse

stronghorse Guide

Blog Posts:
    I just carry this little axe in the back.
    [​IMG]

43. TacMedOp

TacMedOp Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Estwing 16" camp axe perfect size, not to big not to small.. Good steel can hold a razor sharp edge and keep it...also made in the USA all steel one piece....

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  44. Therealredding

Therealredding Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yep, the edge is now razor sharp with a little work, though it was pretty dull from the store........and of coarse I cut myself as soon as it was sharp :-/

45. Mannlicher

Mannlicher Guide

Blog Posts:
    I cary a 19 inch Wetterlings ax in my truck. Never hit the woods without it.

46. PikeMonger

PikeMonger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's the one that I keep in my truck as well. Along with a Silky Big Boy and Ontario's 18" Machete.

47. forcemultiplyr

forcemultiplyr Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Bang for the buck I don't think you can beat the X15 from Fiskars.
    The synthetic handle is near indestructable and requires no maintenance, also this axe as opposed to similar priced axes comes with a plastic sheath that not only protects the edge (and other things from the edge) but it does NOT harbor moisture like leather will.The one suggestion I would make if you buy an X15 is to work the edge with a stone- the head will take a razor edge, but does not ship that way.
    Here is mine (aftermarket kydex sheath) next to X7 for comparison
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also painted both black, didn't like the way the orange looked.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  48. montanero

montanero Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I went thru the same decision process and bought an $18 hatchet at the local big box hardware. Seems like the right decision for a tool box item that will be banged around a lot and used seldom. i made a cardboard and duct tape sheath to cover the sharp edge.

i also have a machete in the tool box, but if I had to cut wood the hatchet would be the tool as machetes are light and deliver the shock to your hand and wrist. A hickory handle is also much more comfortable to me than a machete handle.

Since buying that hatchet, I`ve gone anti-chicom and am looking for a slightly bigger axe for the cabin and the 16" Estwing seems like the one. I had one of their hammers with the blue rubber handle and it was comfortable for about the first 20 years, then I gave it away. If I could find a store and fondle some of the Condor axes I might buy one of them instead.

My ontario mp 8 is reserved for cleaning up firewood and some light yardwork and stays in the shed..

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  49. KD8REV

KD8REV Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I always keep an Ames True Temper fiber-plastic handled Michigan axe in the back of my car, right next to a heavy-duty Stanley 36-inch crowbar... Mind you as a volunteer firefighter I am more concerned with dealing with someone else's emergency (rescue and extrication, as well as clearing a blocked roadway) than I am with survival situations... And this combo provides a very cheap alternative to a Council Tool flat-head fire axe and an K-tool Halligan bar. For my intended usage (hammering on the pry bar, chopping sheet metal and medium-duty wood chopping) the soft steel of the Ames axe is not nessasarily a bad thing, as it is a lot less likely to chip if I hit something hard; and I specifically wanted a plastic handle because it is non-conductive. That being said I am considering buying another Fiskars X15 for woodcutting purposes and keeping the Ames simply as a cheap-ass fire axe.

50. jimbuddy

jimbuddy Scout

Blog Posts:
    I keep my Fiskars X15 as a full time truck axe and have a huge emerge kit
    Despite having over 80 axes, the X15 is good for that purpose I feel as the composite handle won't mild swell and contract. I have it rigged up on an old leather guitar strap as a sling if a grab it for a hike or on a hunt by foot