Carpenters Hatchet

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by caleath, Sep 13, 2011.

1. caleath

caleath Guide

Blog Posts:
    I found a hatchet in some stuff someone gave me. I did some research and found out its a carpenters hatchet. Hammer on one end and hatchet on the other. Its USA made and I think it will make a great bush tool. Anyone else use one for bushcraft?

2. upthecreek

upthecreek Guide

Blog Posts:
  3. smokewalker

smokewalker Guide

Blog Posts:
    That is my poor mans Tomahawk

4. Old Philosopher

Old Philosopher Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I like the balance of those more than a "conventional" hatchet.

5. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I've had mines for over 30, and 20 years, used it countless times on Haole Koa trees.
    [​IMG]

6. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yep, they make excellent wood working tools.

7. Sawdust and Splinters

Sawdust and Splinters Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I like the old style much better than the newer style for the bushcrafting. I do have a newer eastwing, but that only comes out for roof work, just doesnt work good for bushcrafting.

8. caleath

caleath Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the replies..mine is a woodings verona. I have other hatchets. One is a Fiskars which works pretty good too.

Heck this one was free. I will probably leave it in my truck kit.

9. Flag_Mtn_Hkrs

Flag_Mtn_Hkrs Scout

Blog Posts:
    My dad was a carpenter and always brought his out camping. He always called it a "rigging axe". I guess he used it for framing out houses and for splitting shingles on roof work. It sure did split the kindlin in camp.

10. TomcatPC

TomcatPC Scout

Blog Posts:
    When I was a kid in the 1970s and 1980s, that is the type of hatchet my Dad would bring along whilst camping, and it did double duty for splitting kindling for the fireplace in the basement during the Winter. I now have this hatchet and plan on using it one of these days.
    Mark

11. VaughnT

VaughnT Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Can't ask for a better tool around the campsite! The only downside is their weight as they are usually heavier than a standard hatchet. But, that's easily remedied when you grind a better angle on the edge.

Very handy hatchet to have!

12. Pappy Frank

Pappy Frank Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have one and like it. I use it a lot when car camping, but if I am going to have to carry things I prefer to use my trail hawk, much lighter.

13. Brute1100

Brute1100 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have always used these... I agree with the fact that they are heavier and its not always a good weight... But for me as an all around user it gets grabbed more so than just about anything else to do bigger wood working with... But my knife/tool chest isn't very deep... Yet :)

Live, Laugh, Love. If that doesn't work, Load, Aim and Fire. (repeat as necessary)

14. ewtoutdoors

ewtoutdoors Guide

Blog Posts:
    This "Craftsman" was my grandfathers, not sure how old it is but I remember it back in the early 60's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. grizz

grizz Scout

Blog Posts:
    i have an old eswing one.... great stuff for camp chores

16. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I wound up reshaping mine into "viking boat axe" shape.

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

17. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I use an Estwing Rigger's Axe for all sorts of tasks on the homestead. It's a great multipurpose tool. While the nail puller notch will generally not be handy for pulling nails, it's GREAT for hauling on old wire fencing (including barbed) to keep your hands from getting bit by it.

18. Easy_rider75

Easy_rider75 Bushwhacker

Blog Posts:
    Cool mod on that one

Like using these old hatchets myself

19. swoody126

swoody126 Guest

Blog Posts:
    hatchet

carpenter's, rigger's or framer's hatchet

derned iffin th'aint uh purty good tool to have along...

as mentioned, above, they do have some heft/weight to them

and mine hangs out in the p/u tool box

i've carried a shingler's hatchet w/ a shortened handle, for many years, in my m/c & canoeing kit

i made a sheath from an old/torn backpacker's closed cell foam mattress & duct tape, that keeps the razor sharp edge from wreaking havoc on the rest of the stuff in the kit

this website keeps on providing really good information on how folks adapt stuff from one discipline to another, making the creation of the individual's kit much easier, economical & way more personal!!

many thanks for the ideas

keep 'em coming

happy camping

20. The Kid

The Kid Scout

Blog Posts:
    Is a carpenter hatchet the same as a roofing hatchet ?

21. Hawkcreek

Hawkcreek Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  22. 320

320 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    hawkcreek is correct.

supposedly the rigger part of the name came from the guys building wooden oil derricks.
    it seems to be primarily a western usa tool.

legend has it the guys who became house framers had the blade removed and claws welded on the poll. thus the 22 ounce california (special) framing hammers was born.

i've seen railroad carpenters using the long handled axe as a fine-adjusting tool.

i picked up an estwing carpenter's axe decades ago because it was a handsome tool. it's sharp and makes an excellent paring tool. whacks nails with authority as well.

to be honest i'm more likely to use a hammer and carry a sheathed chisel than drag out the axe.

23. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I find the Rigger's Axe great for when I'm out bracing old fences. I can chop one end of the board I'm using into a point on one end then drive it into the ground at an angle before nailing it in place. :)

24. sportsnut777

sportsnut777 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I do. It was my grandfather's before he passed away. Given the type of person he was, my guess is that the thing is somehow engineered to never break, be waterproof, and self-sharpening.

25. claymation

claymation Tracker

Blog Posts:
    That's right. When I was just out'a high school in the '70's, everybody used rigging axes to frame with. We used them for adjusting seating notches on rafters when walking the top plates. Actually, the axes were more of a status symbol then because all the old timers used them. I remember the throwing contests during lunch was the best use for mine. LOL

26. klammer

klammer Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I use one quite a bit around the acreage for fixing fences etc also. Very handy as opposed to mushrooming the head of a regular hatchet.

27. texascarl

texascarl Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    If my memory serves, Humphrey Bogart uses a riggers axe early in the movie 'Treasure of the Sierra Madre', building oil rigs in Mexico. It's been a while since I've seen the movie, but I remember noticing it.

I like 'em - I spent some time in the late 60's remodeling a home in the Missouri ozarks, it was built w/white oak lumber milled from the farm 40 years earlier. That oak was hard to nail, so a heavy riggers axe was useful. That summer gave me pretty good forearms.

28. Danjo

Danjo Scout

Blog Posts:
    When I was framing, a lot of framers used the hatchets (80's). Even those of us who used claw hammers never pulled nails with them, we used a catspaw instead to save the handles.

29. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Very interesting thread. After 60 cycles around the Sun, I've just now begun to learn about the different patterns of Axes and their intended purposes. I've seen numerous styles and never really understood why some had little notches on the bottom of the Head (nail puller) or why some had a hammer on the back (Shingle Axe or Carpenter's Axe). The large 'Gull Wing' hewing Axes are a good example. If there weren't a resurgence in hand crafted log homes, no one would know what a 'Hewing Axe' is. This is all fascinating to me.

I'm a life-long knife guy. Ever since my Boy Scout days Axes have always been a utility tool for splitting kindling, making a tent peg or felling the occasional tree. Nothing too specialized. Boy was I wrong.

Recently, I began to get interested in Bowl and spoon carving in the old Scandinavian method. During my research I discovered just how diverse a class of tool Axes really are. Each culture added their unique style to what is essentially a sharpened wedge on a stick.

The history of the Axe is also intriguing. Historians and Archaeologists are still split (pun intended:1:) as to whether or not the Axe began as a weapon or a utility tool around the campfire. Regardless of the original intent, it evolved into both. And here we are today, tens of thousands of years later, the Axe is still in it's same basic form. Design perfection.

Sorry for the long-winded response.

BTW, this is my 10th response.

RB

30. SilverFox

SilverFox Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a "carpenters" hatchet that has been used for camping for around 30yrs. Great all in one tool. One thing I did that makes it work better for me is replacing the shorter handle with an 18" to 20" handle. It splits small wood great and can be used as a wedge for larger stuff. The only negative is the handle can't easily be replaced in the field. Otherwise its worth the extra weigh. I strap mine to a day pack for hunting trips and day hikes..