Chicken Coop Build

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by delkancott, Dec 14, 2016.

1. delkancott

delkancott Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I posted this to another forum where someone asked for pictures of the coop, but I figured I would share it here too as I think it came out okay and if it helps someone else's build, then great. The coop was designed to house 100 layers in a "free range" (aka second larger pen) concept. It was funded through a grant for our non-profit farm. Estimated cost was about $6000 not including my time. I figured I could scrap it together on my actual farm for less than $1,000, but where I work does not have any "supplies" laying around. Biggest expenses were the trailer frame, the oak beams/subframe, the nest boxes and the metal roofing. I also have all watering supplies (included in that figure), but just haven't had the time to put it together and won't now before spring. The price also included two 50lb. feeders and two five gallon standalone waterers.

Biggest thing I'd change is to remove the unintended roosts on the trailer frame. You'll notice the gray curtains (pool liner) which are to prevent the hens from roosting on the frame which what ultimately keeps them out of the safe coop all night. I will also make the coop narrower and lower. It is too much like a sail now and our fields are quite windy at this farm. I would also put a second auto door because there can be roadblocks due to the high intelligence of the chickens. Last thing for right now is I bought those two Kuhl Rear Roll Out nest boxes hoping they would accommodate the nesting needs of 100 layers. Now, I know that is plenty. In fact, I think they could support 200 hens. When I build a new coop I will start with just one as they are about $500 each. They do make them in smaller sizes also.

[​IMG]Chicken Coop Hay Wagon by Delkan Cott, on Flickr

[​IMG]Chicken Coop Hay Wagon by Delkan Cott, on Flickr[/QUOTE]

2. delkancott

delkancott Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Also, I'll add that the coop is missing the water catchment services (which I have purchased) and it's quite dirty. It is over due it's Dec. 1 cleaning.

TX-1948, Smokey Radley and NattyBo like this.