Cold Steel Master Hunter Carbon V

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Bill Cox, May 11, 2011.

1. Bill Cox

Bill Cox Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I recently got a few knives and one of the is a Cold Steel Master Hunter Carbon V. I have only tried the knife out 2 times so far, and it is amazing. Its so lightweight and yet very sturdy. It has a full flat grind and it came razor sharp. Anubis hit it on the head when he said its pretty much an affordable Fallkniven F1. The only issues I had with the knife are the sheath and the fact that it doesnt throw sparks well from the spine of the knife. I love the Kraton handle, its my favorite handle material.

Thanks Bill

YouTube - Cold Steel Master Hunter Carbon V Review

Its pictured with a SDS Camper for comparison.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. solocanoe

solocanoe Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    got myself into a basic, used F-1 recently via some trades - it's quite possibly the perfect (production) woods knife for me.

can see where that CS is just SO much like the F-1 - that's gotta be very cool! :)
    I bet a file would on the spine would help square that off a bit for the firesteel - maybe? :6:

congrats on your find, Bill - heck on both the blades! :4:

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  3. Bill Cox

Blog Posts:

The spine is flat and you can feel a good bur on the side to throw the sparks it just wont, im gonna try the file tomorrow though, thanks for the idea.

Thanks Bill

4. Trail Dust

Trail Dust Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hi Bill,

Many years ago, famed professional hunter and author (he worked for Guns & Ammo Magazine, too), Ross Seyfried did a lengthy magazine review on the carbon Master Hunter. He used the knife all over the world, on a variety of game, and rated the knife quite highly in his writings. After Seyfried's first article on the knife, the Cold Steel Master Hunter started popping up all over the place and the retailers were having a hard time keeping the knife in stock. Four of the six guys I elk and moose hunted with at the time, purchased the Master Hunter and those same four highly experienced and successful hunters STILL use the same knives after all these years (over 20 years, I'm guessing).

I have both the carbon and stainless version of the Master Hunter in my collection and have found the knife, in the past, very useful on larger game. IMHO, the knife is too big and too thick for deer and smaller game, though some will use the knife for such and seem to be content. Though the knife was designed as a "hunting" knife, its general characteristics lend itself well to some camp chores (a bit thick for the camp kitchen). Yes, my big hand finds the handle very comfortable, too. By all means, ditch that sheath! :)

5. HoosierArcher

HoosierArcher Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I had one myself. I took it hunting everytime I went. It was used to dress out 7 wild boars in one day and could still shave the hair off my arm. Unfortunately it was one of the items stolen from my storage unit. Everytime I see one on eBay it goes for a price way out of my league. You're going to love it more the longer you own it.

6. hillst1

hillst1 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a couple just like that and use them for hunting. The knife was made by Camillus from 50100-B or 0170-6 (same steel). They are seconds just like yours and cost $25. You can tell by the 2 burned into the pommel. I could not find anything wrong with mine. Enjoy, they are very nice knives.

7. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That really does look like the Fallkniven!

Interesting!?!

8. joe305

joe305 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Great blade great steel.....one of the few blades( commercial ) out there that you will constantly see good feedback on.

9. celticfisherman

celticfisherman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nice lookin knife. Cold Steel makes good pieces. I've been using a canadien belt knife for year on deer, rabbits, squirrels, etc.

Most under rated knife out there IMO.

The thing I like the most is they make a knife that does have some flex in it. Makes them perfect for boning and skinning.

10. Hiwa

Hiwa Guide

Blog Posts:
    That's a great knife. I sprung for one of the new san-mai aus8 ones recently and it seems to be performing well so far. I call it the " poor mans' F1" I got mine for about $60 less than what F1's are going for round here.

I've had no issues with edge chipping, rolling, or anything else. That said , I wish I scored the carbon 5 one when I had the chance. But this one's pretty good. no complaints here :dblthumb:

11. solocanoe

solocanoe Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    some pretty high praise (and deservedly so) in this thread - for this knife. that's really cool!

Nice background, Traildust - thanks for saying all that.

As I said, I was Blessed to trade my way into an F-1 recently - and the handle is just about the most comfy thing I've ever picked up...
    and the blade is beyond reproof given the reviews all over the web.

Looks like the Master Hunter may have ACTUALLY come first????
    In any case...no matter who came first -
    the Master Hunter seems to have proven it's worth over time very well - a high compliment in my book! :dblthumb:

Glad you brought it up, Bill!

12. cloudraker

cloudraker Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a CS Master hunter in Carbon V. Mora convinved me of carbon steel's superiority, the master hunter in CV made me fall in love with it. Never had a knife stay that sharp even after field dressing a deer. It's a tough knife. I used a baton to chop a blacktail deer ribs off a carcass. Not a mark. Sharpened up on a kitchen steel.
    I also found I really like the drop point design. My only concern with the CV model is the thinness of the tip. It's fine for dressing game, but not great for bushcrafting. So I horse traded for an F1 and a master hunter in San MaiIII. The F1 is a little smaller and has a convex beefier blade - meant for bushcrafting and survival. It's a tough knife for sure - just check out Koa's vids. The SMIII Master hunter is also beefier, somewhere in between the CV and the F1, but full flat grind. I need to test run it.

The CV master hunter has a custom kydex sheath built by Mike Sastre http://www.rivercitysheaths.com/.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  13. Bill Cox

Blog Posts:

Great post, thanks. I think the ideal role for the master hunter is to be teamed up with a larger blade or an axe. It is a bit thin but I think it will hold up to moderate use, and the thinner blade gives it great carving ability.

Thanks Bill

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here are the pics bud

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011