Coldsteel???

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Brazito, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Brazito

Brazito Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just curious - Why isn't there more love for Coldsteel products?

Your opinions good or bad appreciated.

2. BUSHscandi

BUSHscandi Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have two of their products, a roach belly and a spetznas shovel, and I love them both.

3. exomatt

exomatt Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm thinking that its a mixture of some people here being used to high end stuff, and some quality control issues that Cold Steel seems to be having recently. That said, we have such an intense love of their tomohawks here. I have a Finn Bear that I've beaten on for two years, and love their speznatz shovel.

Also their machetes. 'Nuff said :4:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  4. kontraktniki

kontraktniki Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think some of their products are fantastic (especially the Pendleton Lite Hunter...I prefer it over my Moras), some are just ok but functional, and others are just completely impractical.

Can't really speak to their entire line of products, but the few that I have serve their purposes, and some have exceeded my expectations by a wide margin.

5. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Their less expensive range has tons of gems. Their medium priced items serve a different market than the bushcraft community. The same goes for their most expensive items, and their pricier stuff tends to be a poor value in my opinion--especially compared to the standard of price vs. performance that their budget items set. So they put out some really great stuff but you have to pick and choose a bit. :)

6. Ranger

Ranger Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a couple of their original knives and have been very pleased with their quality. I have heard that their quality may not be as high as it once was, but I cannot speak to that.

7. Crazysanman

Crazysanman Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I have a trail hawk, a kukri, a Bowie bushman, and a pocket bushman. They are all great products and all can be found under $25.

8. Yonder

Yonder Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I only have experience with the Pendleton Lite Hunter. Get one, it's that good. I've handled other models owned by friends and co-workers, seemed OK.

9. rlh2

rlh2 Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've had some of their offerings in the past and have had mixed reviews.

10. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I only have two of their knives, a Mini Gurka Light (Kukri) that was around $175, if my memory serves me correctly, that I bought back in 2002 and was made in the USA. Great tool. I've used it to split wood chop up old furniture so it would fit in a garbage trash dumpster and have used it as a cleaver, and it has removed a few deer heads from the carcass.
    The other is the Mini Penpleton Hunter which I carry in my belt every day. Its a sturdy little knife and I work horse. I want to replace it with Bark River or something similar, but when I do I'll drop this one in my bread/shoulder bags.

Edit I forgot to add that Condor Tool and Knife has some good things going and has actually took some of Cold Steels customers.

11. Thorbyfour

Thorbyfour Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I really like my trail hawk and rifleman hawk. Both have stood up to the tasks I wanted them to do.

My son ha a couple of different Cold Steel knives and seems to like them alot. He is really hard on sharps and they are still in good shape. So they are durable:)

12. bharen

bharen Guide

Blog Posts:
    I think a lot of people are put off by the marketing hype that Cold Steel surrounds itself with. They are sort of like the Herters of the 21st Century ("The Best!" "Nothing Today Can Touch It!"). A lot is off-putting.

But beyond the marketing hype Cold Steel puts out some very nice blades, and most of their stuff is very affordable.

I particularly like the Roachbelly (which my wife has appropriated for the kitchen), the Pendleton Hunter Lite (a leader in it's class), the regular Pendleton Hunter (actually a very good small bush blade), the Master Hunter and their new large folders - the Lone Star Hunter and Mackinac Hunter are really nicely done. The Mackinac Hunter in particular is a very well balanced knife.

13. VinWild

VinWild Scout

Blog Posts:
    Cold Steel came onto the scene and out of the gate swinging; Then fizzled !
    Lynn Thompson knows quality steel - however he sold out to mass marketing a long time ago.
    There are some usable products (US Made vintage) that are right at home in the bush; and some others that IMO are garbage.
    Cold Steel was a master of marketing in the 80's - 90's; and their out of the box thinking was second to none. Originally they produced a good worker budget-minded line; along with some superb tactical models that saw use in the harshest places on the planet. Then, more and more products were being made on foreign soil & were introduced that shadowed the real treasures they had to offer - So the almost cult-like following petered out. They lost the respect of their own targeted customer base.
    I do use a CS Rifleman Hawk often; and it's a great quality tool for the money.
    Also, I keep a CS Bushman in my truck bag; but beyond that - there is nothing the line has to offer that can't be bettered by an American Company or Custom maker.

14. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think that the synthetic kraton handles, while serviceable, tend to be aesthetically less pleasing to those who work with wood and natural materials a lot.

I have several Cold Steel blades from years past. The original SRK is a workhorse blade, and makes a fine field knife. Carried one in my gear bag for years.

I think the Finnbear is about the price range of a Mora, and it is also a nice, small using blade. The Pendleton light Hunter is another very good value for money.
    The Bushman series- original, Bowie, and the Mini- are all well used here, as accessories if not as primary blades.

Cold Steel has, I think, a few negatives -other than the simple aesthetics- that affect the popularity here. First, many, if not most, of their products are designed as fighting tools, not bushcraft tools. Second, they went to China for some production, and lost a lot of goodwill over the QC failures. Third, their customer service department is not the friendliest in the world, and considers batonning a mortal sin. Finally, their advertising is so full of hyperbolic claims that it puts some people off.

15. churro

churro Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like cold steel. Just ignore the hype, look at the prices and designs and choose what you like. The quality will likely be fair to excellent. My only complaint is that my bushman won't hold an edge very well while skinning, but it will when working on wood. Oh well, I like a smaller knife for skinning anyway. My CS tomahawk is awesome, and I really like their blowguns. I made my own blowguns from 3/4" pvc for years, then finally bought one each of the magnum and the pro. I keep one in the barn to kill rats and mice without upsetting the chickens, but they will take game, too.

I think what I love about cold steel is that they will go ahead and try out the products that nobody else is making and do a fair job of it, too. That really appeals to the 12 yr old in me.

16. th3transp0rt3r

th3transp0rt3r Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I only have a few of their things, but every one that I have has performed well. The Pendelton Lite, Canadian Belt Knife, Magnum Kukri machete, and my son has the G.I. Tanto I think it's called. They have all done the jobs that I have used em for. Especially the machete. It's a beast, kinda hard on the hands though. The handle is really rough.

17. Mastino

Mastino Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a US made SRK in Carbon V and it's a great workhorse. Superior IMO to the equivalent Fallkniven. Lately I noticed that they don't seem to make Carbon V products anymore, any idea why?

18. freefall149

freefall149 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've had a two of their knives- both pocket bushmans. I don't own any knife of theirs now, but I do have one of their swords (Grosse Messer) as wall decoration.
    I think they make great products. My funds just don't often gravitate in their direction because of their 1 year warranty, while other equal or better companies offer lifetime warranties.

19. RangerXanatos

RangerXanatos Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've warped every machete I've gotten from them. I can be rough on my machetes but most of it was because they were junk. My friend had the hammer poll break off of his rifleman hawk. He was hitting the back of another piece of metal so I can understand that. My trailhawk came in bent. My bushman came in with a slight bend as well. The only thing I can't complain about is the Special Forces Shovel and the True Flight Thrower that I have used for other things than throwing. With all of that being said, I cannot speak too highly of Coldsteel. Plus I find their 'in your face' advertizing tactics too extreme and repulsive.

20. Tye Possum

Tye Possum Tracker

Blog Posts:
    A lot of their products seem very gimmicky and mostly appeal to the mall ninja crowd, that combined with their pretty outrageous testing videos, their "Our knives are better than everyone elses!" mentality and the Taiwan production tends to put people off I think. I have two Cold steel products though and I've been happy with them.

My pipe hawk was very roughly finished out of the box but that's not very representative of their usual product lines, they're more modding projects and everyone seems to know that by now. With some work it's become a good woods tool. I also have an American lawman folder that far exceeded my expectations and has replaced the Spyderco Endura with G10 scales I used to carry despite the Endura being more high end and having better steel. I just much prefer the design of the Lawman for actual use and I have no issues with its fit and finish or cutting ability, plus it has one of the strongest locks going.

21. icemancometh

icemancometh Scout

Blog Posts:
    I seemed to have had better luck with their lower priced items. I have a Roach Belly, Finn Bear and a Pendleton Hunter Lite that have been great. I use the PH lite for deer hunting and have only positive things to say about it. My CS tomahawk and Spetznaz Shovel are also great. I have had in the past a Master Hunter (i think that is right name) that would not hold an edge for anything. I sold it on ebay. I do also have 2 original Bushmans that are so-so in my opinion.

22. gloomhound

gloomhound Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a Finn Bear and a Trail Hawk. The Trail Hawk has a warped blade on it and I'm having to send it back.

23. Hiwa

Hiwa Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have these , and have never had a problem with any of them. Like any knife company , they have models I like and some that I don't.

Sorry for the caps. (copy/pasted from my knife inventory)

COLD STEEL AMERICAN LAWMAN
    COLD STEEL MINI LAWMAN
    COLD STEEL MINI RECON 1 SPEAR POINT (2)
    COLD STEEL RECON 1 CLIP POINT
    COLD STEEL LARGE VOYAGER
    COLD STEEL MEDIUM VOYAGER
    COLD STEEL SRK (AUS-8A)
    COLD STEEL SRK ( CARBON-5)
    COLD STEEL BUSHMAN
    COLD STEEL KUKRI
    COLD STEEL PENDLETON HUNTER
    COLD STEEL PENDLETON LITE HUNTER (3)
    COLD STEEL READY-EDGE
    COLD STEEL MASTER HUNTER SAN MAI 3

Favorite folder is the American Lawman . The Master hunter is a much better bush knife than the SRK ,Imo. Great knife , no issues with Lam. steel.
    The Pendleton Hunter is a great poor man's F1 substitute. The Pendleton lite's are a great inexpensive backup knife and can do a lot , and the Kukri I have ( cheaper $20 one) makes a good light-weight chopper.

Looking forward to the Code 4 folders. Will definitely get one . Of all the Aus8 steel out there , I think Cold Steel's suppliers make the best. (My opinion is from use/abuse , sharpenability , edge holding , etc. in the field.) Never had a blade chip or fold on me , just get dull from use , which all knives do.

Cold Steel is only a small percentage of the knives I have , and they have performed well. Jmho.

24. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The company that provided the carbon v steel went out of business and sold the name. So Cold Steel had to switch to different steels. Despite the fact that these are mass produced products, they seem to do alright. My mini Pendleton was baught last fall and is about ready for a sharpening. I should probabally state that this blade came with a spot on the blade that should have been buffed out. When I run my finger across it, I can feel it dig into my skin.

25. Svwone

Svwone Tracker

Blog Posts:
  26. harley1903

harley1903 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I Have A Few Cold Steel Products, And I Love Them. Ive Never Had Any Problems With Them.

27. Taliesin

Taliesin Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a Trail Hawk, a Kopis machete (old style) and a Tanto Spike. All are good functional blades and have their uses. If I were looking at a good outdoor knife from them, I'd look at the economical models like the Canadian Belt Knife, the Finn Bear, Roach Belly or Pendleton Lite Hunter for bushcrafting. The think is for the same amount of money or less, you can pick up a Mora and I think they might better a bit better in quality. If you go a bit more expensive, then you are into the Condor lines and I think they are a much better deal!

28. Lamewolf

Lamewolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have the older ODA from Cold Steel with the CarbonV steel and its a great knife. But since they quit using the CarbonV steel (actually CarbonV is no longer made) the quailty of Cold Steel products don't seem to review as well as they once did. I prefer the Ontario Spec Plus line now that is made of 5160 high carbon spring steel.

29. redmech

redmech Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    [video=youtube;DN8SJnIh1sw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN8SJnIh1sw[/video]

The shovel is cool.

30. cucumberfly

cucumberfly Scout

Blog Posts:
    bought a ti lite from cold steel....had to return the first one cus the blade was very wiggly and gave up when the second came in wiggly....then bought a spartan which wasn't all to bad sooo I think they are a rather hit and miss sort of company. Plus I hate their marketing BS videos

31. 1066vik

1066vik Guide

Blog Posts:
    I love my CS shovel.
    have had several of their products over the years, some of which were a good value, some of which were badly overpriced.
    a lot of their offerings are too tacticool for me.
    The SRK is a good field knife, the Hudson Bay Knife Co series they did 15 years back were excellent. I bought a bunch of their original Bushman stamped "survival" knives and gave them out as X-mas gifts one year -- and carry one in the just-in-case kit in both our vehicles.

32. Bax 40

Bax 40 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That was Camillous and whgat they called carbon V was o176 same as Cam used, Carbon V was a sales pitch and all cold Steel sharps are noe made in China.

I have a usa made Master Hunter that is a pretty good hunter but have never cared much for the rubber handles

33. rdec

rdec Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have te original Tanto, bought when it was Cold Steel's first and only product. I aldo have a large Clipmate, bought when they were introduced and a Recon Scout, ditto. All have proven to be fine tools, well made and sturdy. I have no problem with Kraton handles but admit I would prefer stag, wood or leather.

34. 1066vik

1066vik Guide

Blog Posts:
    Case CV carbon steel and the 1095CV Kabar uses are supposedly the same recipe -- Camillus made the knife blanks for CS until the US factory closed its doors.

35. Convex

Convex Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Some of the CS equipment is good stuff. I have a Master Hunter from the late 80`s early 90`s, and an EL Voyager. Like them both.

36. Axe

Axe Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I like cold steel. I have their trail hawk and very pleased with it. I want the SRK but its not in the budget right now.

37. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Scout

Blog Posts:
    I am a big Cold Steel fan. What other company brings you blowguns, spears, swords, shovels, sword canes, etc, plus knives? Some of their products are not my style but there plenty that I like. I had great luck with their shovel, Roach Belly and blowgun. I also sold their products for several years. I had one complaint which was about a sheath. The customer wound up contacting Cold Steel directly and as far as I know the issue was resolved.

38. mjf

mjf Scout

Blog Posts:
    Tanto

Here's a pic of my trusty 25+ year old Tanto. This knife is outstanding. It has had a hard life and can take anything you throw at it. I dont know about now, but back then they made excellent knives.
    [​IMG]

39. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I own two of their discontinued products which I think are gems especially for the price, a Barong, and a Sax. I have a Pipe Hawk on my wish list too. Their tomahawks I think are very popular a best buy. Their Heavy Machete sheath fit my old West German Tiger cane knife perfectly. I'm more attracted to their economy imported stuff than their high end high cost stuff.

I almost forgot to mention my CS Bushman knife/spear which I think is a best buy in a practical economical versatile knife.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  40. vakman

vakman Scout

Blog Posts:
    +1 to Lite Hunter, it's the only knife I own and use.

CS sells a lot of novelty items that appeal to the inner child instead of the inner craftsman. A lot of people who buy crossbows with fixed scopes that they aren't strong enough to string will drool over CS's cheap prices and large variety of junk. There're some goodies in there though.

41. gloomhound

gloomhound Guide

Blog Posts:

I've always wanted one of their Barongs as well.

42. brewcitymike

brewcitymike Tracker

Blog Posts:
    What are your opinions on the San Mai versions of the Trailmaster, Recon Scout, and Gurka Kukri? I have always kinda liked the TM and RS with the satin blades but the double guard puts me off from actually buying one. If I had the funds I would probably get the Falkniven Thor or Njord which are clones of the cold steel knives but look a bit cooler and are most likely much better quality.

I should say that I do own a trailhawk and love it and I plan to buy a few of the more inexpensive CS items like the roachbelly, and a few of the other hawks and machetes too. Between CS, Mora and Condor you can stock up on good blades, axes and hawks for very little money, you just have to hope your purchases were met with good quality control which CS and Condor seem to have issues with from time to time

43. Jon308

Jon308 Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I have the Trail Master in carbon V made in the US and 2 of the Tantos made in Japan one is san mai also have the small folder made in the US these are all great knives very sharp the TM is 1/4 thick its a brute. But would not buy their cheap stuff unless you don't mind buying another when it breaks. They were at one time very good products just like most other US made knives that went cheap Today I would buy Esee all the way, Best knife out there for the money in my opinion.

44. Slickrock

Slickrock Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a cold steel Pendleton lite. It's a great blade for only about $15. Cold steel gets a bad rep because of their cheesy videos and mall ninja reputation.

45. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    The CS Barong I have was made in China, very nice quality a very comfortable grip design and material. From what I had heard it was discontinued when the factory in China burn down.
    Cold Steel's old Barong
    http://dealerscorner.coldsteel.com/Products/97BA18S/
    [​IMG]

I just discovered Cold Steel is introducing a new version of their Barong, and I think it looks pretty good the grip looking more traditional on this new Barong than the last interpretation.
    Cold Steel's new Barong
    http://dealerscorner.coldsteel.com/Products/97BAM18S/
    [​IMG][​IMG]

46. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I've got one of the old 18" barongs. It's a nice piece of work but the rubbery handle causes hot spots and blisters with extended (hour plus) use from chafing during the swing. I'm excited about the new one.

47. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    That's interesting as I found the grips very comfortable for long use much better than the grips on Cold Steel's South African made machetes. I found the grip on my Barong the most comfortable and ergonomically correct out of all my machetes. I do have rather large calloused hands though.
    The old barong has a 3mm thickness blade but I noticed that the new barong has a blade thickness of 2.8mm though an inch longer and a tad (.07 oz) heavier. Curious to see how the two will compare in the field. I love the looks of the new grip especially the palm swell and slip stopping hook. May have to pick one up when available.

48. Brute1100

Brute1100 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I love ny cold steel kobun... Batoned lots of wood with that blade... Carried it every day for 2+ years now... I have never regretted that purchase...

Live, Laugh, Love. If that doesn't work, Load, Aim and Fire. (repeat as necessary)

49. Takashi kajihara

Takashi kajihara Scout

Blog Posts:
    I love cold steel.
    Especially trail master is one of the most wonderful knives for me.
    Please look the love(sickness) to my cold steel lol!

IMG_2191.jpg IMG_2196.jpg IMG_1955.jpg IMG_1780.jpg IMG_1798.jpg

50. gdpolk

gdpolk Guide

Blog Posts:
    Depends on the tool whether it's worth it to me. For the money, I think most of their products are fantastic in quality and value.

I prefer to have a higher end knife than what they offer for my smaller to medium sized blades because I find that there are better steels out there and I have a bit of extra cash to get the nicer stuff if I wait for it. If I were to buy a 3"-5" knife for bushcraft in their price range, I would rather have a Mora.

However, for their heavier use chopping tools, I like them a lot. Their machetes and BIG knives are nice as are their hawk heads. For something that's just going to be absolutely used, abused, and hung up wet, they offer a fantastic value.

I won a Trail Hawk from mndless from last year's pumpkin carving contest that is one of my favorite trail and hunting tools. He sent it with the paint stripped and a vinegar patina on it. There were some tooling marks and pitting from the factory that could easily hold water on the surface promoting rust; since the weather was poor today so I sanded it and polished it to a near mirror finish and then forced a "patina" on it with some cold bluing paste. It's still one of my favorite tools.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013