cookin with pine pitch

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by lonetracker, Apr 21, 2010.

1. lonetracker

lonetracker Guide

Blog Posts:
    this morning as i lay in the hammock,trying to ignore my cold feet and full bladder,i had an idea.i can safely say this idea is partially the fault of my worn out boots,and partially the fault of my white gas stove turning into a ball of flames yesterday morning.

step 1 collect pine pitch.i got mine from some white spruce.took me 20 minutes to collect all this. note:hardwoodsman may as well stop reading now.:p:D
    [​IMG][/IMG]

step 2 make 4 stakes.use green wood they will hold up your pot,while being surrounded by fire.could also use medal tent stakes for this
    [​IMG][/IMG]

step 3 clear all leaves and other burnables from area.scoop a little hole out.the hole will hold your burning,melted pitch in place.drive stakes around hole,so pot can sit levelly on them
    [​IMG][/IMG]

step 4 put a lump of pine pitch about the size of a golf ball and a half in hole.light it.i did not use anything fancy cause i was hungry,just a lighter.but use whatever method you like.you pyros.you know who you are.you are reading along,not to cook on pitch,but so you can find out about yet one more way to play with fire.:D
    [​IMG][/IMG]

step 5 place pot on stakes and just watch er burn.note;i used a aluminum wind screen around pot and fire not neccesary,but i think helped speed the process and was safer in the gusty wind and dry conditions.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

step 6 add fuel as neccesary,i stuck it on a stick and added it that way.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

step 7 remove pot.pyros watch er burn
    [​IMG][/IMG]

everyone else put er out.i used sand found by an animal burrow
    [​IMG][/IMG]

pitch stove fun facts,and observations.
    i boiled 4 cups of water in 16 minutes.after i got done i boiled 4 cups on my coleman peek 1 with white gas i used a narrower pot.it took 17:20 minutes.
    i used 3 chunks of pitch,each about a golf ball and a half size.
    this stuff may work in a canteen cup stove.
    is good to use when very dry and you want a small fire.
    some pitch globs seemed to burn better.the goey ones were best
    the pot was horibly coated with black soot.
    just from barly touching it my fingers were covered.mm ramin and spam .good bushy breakfast:)
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    the pot scrubed of with some sand looks extra bushy now :)
    [​IMG][/IMG]

allright so here is the storey about the boots and fire ball.yesterday morn i was going to boil some water and have coffee and oatmeal from the hammock.about 1 min into the boil my stove became covered in flames.i mean not only the top,but the sides,everywere.i got it out with no bad burns or explosions or anything,but it was scary:eek:of course,after changing out of my wet cloths(spilled the pot of water on me when i fell out of the hammock:eek:) i still wanted a hot breakfast.so after moving the stove a safer distance from the hammock(don't want to burn that),i tried again.and yes once again i had my face inches away from a burning gas tank.:eek:i got the flames out much quicker this time.being more stuborn then sensible i tried aggain and got it lit the third time.it was after this that i noticed on the directions on the stove it said 'if below freezing(it was) preheating paste must be used'....:confused:never heard of it.:confused:
    now the reason i was laying in bed thinking of this is my boots were wet,because of the holes,and the beaver pond.i did not want to get up and put those frozen boots on so i was layin there thinkin about stuff i normally would not have.like could i use pine pitch for a pre heeting paste?...lay a little longer... 'how would just pine pitch work for boiling?'

2. kgd

kgd Dr. Fishguts Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Fire mmmmmmmm....fire....mmmmm

Very hot (as in the opposite of cool) - great stuff!

3. Iz

Iz MEMBER of a BANNED Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    lol, even us hardwoodsman can appreciate a guy who uses his resources well.
    Great post, Lt.
    Iz
    p.s. I'm jealous.:(;)

4. Edz

Edz Scout

Blog Posts:
    Pine pitch, and pine in general really messes up pots. But just cook some hardwood under the same pot and it'll harden up that black soot! Makes it more efficient. You also don't wanna cook meat or other stuff right on a pine fire IMO... puts a wicked strong taste into the food.
    For some reason this year I'm not finding a lot of pine pitch around. No idea why.

edz

5. BushBum

BushBum Guide

Blog Posts:
    Physically: the concrete jungle. Mentally: about
    Good Stuff man....Like your style.

6. cloudraker

cloudraker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Probably works as well as those tuna can buddy burners. It probably smels better too.

7. hog

hog Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thats some serious pine resin, realy hard to find here and I am surrounded by pine plantations, must be looking badly, any pics of this on the tree?

8. lonetracker

lonetracker Guide

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

thats all i got.these are white spruce.we also have black spruce,i have found a little on that it is more clear looking.i also have red and white pine around,have not seen any pitch on those yet.neither on hemlock or tamarack(larch).have not really checked jack pine.balsam fir has a sap bubble that forms under the bark it is more runny,and i do not think it burns as well.

it usually oozes out around an old branch or other scar in the tree it will look milky white to allmost barklike after time.look for tell tale drip marks,follow them to the ground for a stalagmite like lump of pitch or up untill you discover were it is coming from.trees over 14inch diameter seem to have the most.after you spot a few it will get eisier to find more

9. sticks65

sticks65 Guest

Blog Posts:
    Thats a good haul of pitch you got there Bud,wish i could find amounts like that here.

Ive never seen pine sap used like this before and think it an original idea,maybe a good idea to keep some in your pack just incase you need to heat some water or food in a none wooded area..

Id collect some more of that sap up and store it for fire lighting to.

thanks for sharing Bro.

10. mainewoods

mainewoods Maine Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Great Post Lonetracker Great Post i use a little pine pitch in My fires it helps, Again Thanks for the Great Info.

11. 45jack

45jack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Good post, but next time tell your manicurist the polish goes on the fingernails.

You guys with pine forests have all the luck

12. lonetracker

lonetracker Guide

Blog Posts:
    mani who.what:confused:thanks 45 jack i am guessing a manicurist is someone you hardswoodsman see after,maybe before, messing with hardwood?:confused::rolleyes:::p:D really just being:rolleyes:thanks for the coments:)

13. BOWGUY

BOWGUY Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    man, id ditch the gas stove for sure.
    nothin like collectin a little branch and sticks and cooking over a hobo cookset.

14. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder Staff Member Administrator Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Great post as always Bro

15. Nerual the Mad

Nerual the Mad Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have used pine pitch before as a torch on a stick, but never thought to cook on it. Why I'm at it. I was going to make some pitch glue and try my hand at making some arrows. My question is, How do I get all the bark out of my pitch so it's not lumpy?

16. lonetracker

lonetracker Guide

Blog Posts:
    here are a few links to two great threads on pitch glue

http://www.bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9027&highlight=pitch+glue

http://www.primitiveways.com/pine_pitch_stick.html

there may be more use the search function

17. Rook

Rook Staff Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor

Blog Posts:
    That's a lot of pitch:eek: and a neat way to use it as well. I was looking at it thinking of how much leather preservative it would make blended with beeswax and mink oil:D Thanks for sharing!

18. snakedoctor

snakedoctor Deceased

Blog Posts:
    Yahoo! Messenger:
    warrenenterprizes
    Very cool! Thanks for yet another way to make tea and noodles!:D and fire

19. lonetracker

lonetracker Guide

Blog Posts:
    is that recipe posted.sounds interesting.i have 3 sandwich bags of raw pitch,cant seem to stop gathering it.

20. Rook

Blog Posts:
    I will see if I can find it for the both of us. Was getting ready to gather some pitch from the pine in our front yard :) Not a native tree but handy to have:D

21. Rook

Blog Posts:
    So as not to hijack your thread LT, I started another on the intended experiment HERE in selfmade gear.

22. nitroduck

nitroduck Tracker

Blog Posts:
    i have been looking relentlessly would some one please tell me were i need to b looking on the bottom of the tree in the middle are at the bottom of tree i do not want to buy it i wanna find it please help . bob o

23. nitroduck

nitroduck Tracker

Blog Posts:
    i have been looking relentlessly would some one please tell me were i need to b looking on the bottom of the tree in the middle are at the bottom of tree i do not want to buy it i wanna find it please help . bob o

24. AlteredMentalStatus

AlteredMentalStatus Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    AIM:
    bigkingtut@mac.com
  25. Yankee Cymro

Yankee Cymro Scout

Blog Posts:
    That's some true American ingenuity right there. Some people would have just packed up and gone home if their stove died. I collect up every bit of sap that I can find. I keep a film canister full of it in my tinder kit. Great stuff.

26. Brad Lee

Brad Lee Guest

Blog Posts:
    I'm a tinder fiend and so what if I only read your post for new pyro ideas? ;) I stop at every one of the random pines I find here for pitch or fatwood, saw that oakworks too now I have to try that out! Ceder bark fluff and wild grape vine scraps. Well played sir, true Michigander even if you are a UP'er ;) Good stuff lonetracker, very good stuff.

27. lonetracker

lonetracker Guide

Blog Posts:
    pitch can be any were on the tree.were ever there is a split,or a cut in the bark.or an old loose branch(this is were i find most of mine)the fresh pitch is easy to see,being a milky white color the older stuff starts to look just like bark.sometimes there is drip marks down the tree.
    i believe the type of pine is very important.i find all my pitch on white spruce and have seen it on black spruce in small amounts.i also find it on larger trees normally.

28. Pinewood.CH

Pinewood.CH Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Almost each time I purify my pine pitch in the woods, I use the flames to boil my water on it... Did that for 8 years or so... works well and is well into the survival way of spending the lowest amount of energy. Only problem, I've been told that the black smoke and fumes aren't that healthy... but hey... on a cold morning in the woods in the Alps... I would be out of my mind if I did not get that hot brew

29. sherlockian100

sherlockian100 Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts: