Damn Cows!

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by dads2vette, Jan 8, 2017.

1. dads2vette

dads2vette Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've been away from the homestead for an extended amount of time. Visiting friends and family over the holidays and such. I got back to the homestead and the damn cows went thru and caused some damage.

Here in AZ it's open range and the only way to keep them off my place is to put up barbed wire but that would inhibit other creatures from wandering around as well. Cows ate a few electrical cords and some of my Christmas lights. Yes, it's my fault, I should have put that stuff away...live and learn. They also trampled what was left of my portable garage. Must have gotten caught up in the paracord that was used to hold it down. They also trampled my two person tent, an old cot and my hammock stand...bastards! Only thing that really bugs me is the tent...I spent lots of time in that tent.

Nice part about it was they also trampled some areas and made them look a little neater and made a couple of nice paths.

2. Johnny Mustache

Johnny Mustache Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That sucks! Sorry for the loss of that tent.

cows.jpg

3. cornbred

cornbred Scout

Blog Posts:
    mmmm im thinkin the bbq'd ribs will taste much sweeter for you....

4. Hawkcreek

Hawkcreek Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Your cows or someone else's? And what animals are you worried about being bothered by your fence? Deer and elk won't care as they'll go over it, or under it as some deer do.

5. gila_dog

gila_dog BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    NM is also a "fence out" state. If you don't want cows or other critters on you land you have to fence them out. What I've done is put a livestock panel fence around my yard. That's where my garden and stuff is. That also keeps the javelinas out, and my dog in. Deer could get in, and rabbits do sometimes. But the dog makes them unwelcome. A fence like mine is a bit expensive but I don't want even small critters going in and out. A 4 strand barbed wire fence would keep cattle out and let just about everything else in.

Nonc-Tobe, 80mtn, dads2vette and 2 others like this.
  6. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Well, bummer! If they are yours I'd say bird shot if they're habitual offenders. My grandpa shot a cow once that kept breaking into the garden. Dad claims it taught it a lesson.

Nonc-Tobe, 80mtn and dads2vette like this.
  7. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    Someone else's cows. I'm sure the elk and deer would go under or over but I'm thinking they'd much rather go around. I'd only fence in maybe a few acres right around the house so there wouldn't be any need to go through. Cows will eventually figure out I'm back and avoid the place again. If not...bbq beef party at my place!

8. Hawkcreek

Hawkcreek Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've never seen a deer care about a fence. Pretty rare around here to see a deer trail follow a fence line. Where the trails run into a fence the deer go over/under it and keep going. For a few acres it'd probably be pretty close either way to run a 3 strand barbed wire fence or a hotwire around your place. If the cattle are so rangy that a hotwire won't keep them out then a barbed wire fence wouldnt keep them out much better.

I wouldnt advise shooting someones cattle. That would surely go to court and in a free range area you'd be seen as the aggressor.

hunter63, 80mtn, dads2vette and 2 others like this.
  9. Polecat

Polecat Polecat in a Poke

Blog Posts:
    FWIW, I much prefer high tensile fencing to barbed wire (or woven wire or about anything else generally, heh). When the barbed wire gets old, it's a nightmare. The high tensile wire lasts forever, though. Replace some stakes every 10 years and it's good as new again. It is more expensive initially to build, but I think it more than makes up for itself in labor and materials costs on upkeep.

It's especially nice if you can electrify it. Then you can space the stakes way out and use fewer strands. Even keeps out the bear, sorta, with a juicy enough charger, unless they get too hungry.

I don't know anything about elk, but the deer here jump right over it, and the smaller critters go through it, at least if the low wire isn't electrified.

80mtn, dads2vette and SmilinJoe like this.
  10. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    Not going to shoot 'em. They're just doing what cows do. Like I mentioned earlier, I'll see what happens after they realize I'm back home. They'll probably stop coming up the ridge this fa and keep to the dirt road.

Seems everything got use to me not being here as I was greeted by a bunch of javelina when I went out to use the facilities.

hunter63 and 80mtn like this.
  11. ineffableone

ineffableone Guide

Blog Posts:
    Something to note, cows habitually use the same paths, this is why you see the narrow cow paths that get used over and over. If you want to speed up stopping them from entering your property, find a way to disrupt their path. This could be placing a boulder in the path, dropping a tree in the way, etc... Once they are diverted and exploring new ground, they suddenly are much more prone to channeling and suggestion for other routes and not so fixated on following that same old pathway.

dads2vette and 80mtn like this.
  12. drobs

drobs Scout

Blog Posts:
    I feel your pain.
    [​IMG]

My land (S. Missouri) is on the left, neighbor with cows land is on the right. For the longest time he had 1 strand of electric wire keeping his cows in his pasture. He finally put up some barbwire but only to the wood line and not tied off to the the woods.

Missouri is a "closed range" state, meaning livestock owners need to fence in their animals.

Frequently see this in my backyard:

[​IMG]

13. gila_dog

gila_dog BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Cows make excellent targets for my slingshot or my bow with rubber blunts, and my little blue heeler dog loves to torment them when they come around my place. But other than that I keep my garden and hay barn, etc behind a good fence.

Watch out for those javelinas. They are not your friends. If you have a dog try and keep it from chasing them because they will really tear a dog up. They can tear you up too if they think you're a threat, especially if they have babies.

Swarvegorilla, dads2vette and 80mtn like this.
  14. 80mtn

80mtn Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    National Forest (Gila) leased grazing land surrounds my land. 3 strand barbed wire all around. Especially during hunting season a lot of deer hang out inside the fence where they're safe. Biggest muley buck I've seen in New Mexico, went strolling by us sitting at the fire one evening with a couple of does, Gunfire raging all around outside the fence. :) Frankly, from a survival standpoint, I encourage this behavior...

15. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Scout

Blog Posts:
    Throw a fence up! Not a natural critter out there that can't go over or under a normal sized barbed wire fence. I don't like cows much either. There are free range cattle where I hunt. It's a heavily wooded, very steep mountainous area and the cows tend to take up residence in all of the prime places like benches, flat spots in draws ect. Deer usually steer clear of them, they flatten and eat the ground cover around them thus destroying good grouse habitat. Not to mention you'll hear them walking and get excited thinking an elk herd is coming your way but nope, just cows I can't shoot.

80mtn likes this.
  16. Makarov

Makarov Scout

Blog Posts:
    I hear that frozen paint balls will get the attention of about any animal, I once shot a bull with 22 bird shot, It moved right along after that.

80mtn likes this.
  17. 80mtn

80mtn Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    2012-09-23_16-44-56_453.jpg
    Was sitting by the fire once and a huge racket starts up just up the hill from us. My dog and I went up to see, thinking it was some elk or a bear tearing stuff up. Came into this little clearing and there's 2 giant texas longhorns. Prehistoric looking at that range. We slowly backed out and headed back down the hill. The dog didn't even bark they were so scary! :)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    drobs, Swarvegorilla and dads2vette like this.
  18. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    Ain't that the truth! There are a few spots in Mesa where they thrive. Folks think they are the cutest things...waiting to hear about someone's child, dog or themselves getting seriously hurt when they take a selfie.

If I can get them to change their route then it'll be a "no harm, no foul" kind of thing. This was really my fault, I should have packed the everything away before I left but I was only going to be gone for 10 days, not a month.

80mtn likes this.
  19. NJHeart2Heart

NJHeart2Heart Dawn Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Clearly a mixed bag.. though I feel bad for your tent :( Any chance of rehabbing it to useable level again?

20. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    No, kind of like the scarecrow from Wizard of Oz...They tore my legs off and they threw it over there! Then, they took my chest off and they threw it over there!

80mtn and NJHeart2Heart like this.
  21. NJHeart2Heart

NJHeart2Heart Dawn Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Though sad for your tent, you had me smiling at the Wiz of Oz reference! :D

80mtn and dads2vette like this.
  22. Polecat

Blog Posts:
    Please don't shoot cattle, even with paint balls or slingshots or BB guns. It makes them wild and difficult to handle, even to the point of being dangerous to the humans trying to work with them. Maybe that's not your problem usually, but it will be once they get through your fence and you go to chase them out.....

Indiana, Swarvegorilla, 80mtn and 2 others like this.
  23. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    Yep, agree with you on that point. Like I said, they're just doing what cows do. Only a couple came around last night and none today...word(moos) must have gotten around that I'm back home.

80mtn likes this.
  24. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Agree....they be a PITA but if they are allowed there, it's up to you to keep them out.
    Have the same problem when the river bottom floods......

[​IMG]

25. Polecat

Blog Posts:
    We loaned a bull to a guy once, who herded it around with a .22 and rat shot. That bull was so wild and dangerous when we got it back that we had to butcher him. Before that, he was gentle as a lamb. :( Couldn't go in the same pen with that thing afterwards though, without getting chased over the fence.

80mtn, dads2vette and hunter63 like this.
  26. Swarvegorilla

Swarvegorilla Scout

Blog Posts:
    Agreed.
    The best cows and bulls..... are the chilled out ones that see humans and think OMG SNACKS!
    Not the ones so freaked out they are charging shadows.

An electric fence is a really cheap fast way to section off some land. If you get one you can connect up to a car battery you just need a way to charge batterys.
    Once cows encounter an electric fence they rarely test it again..... so it also has a tremendous phychological effect even when its not actually on....

Indiana, Polecat and 80mtn like this.