Diabetes - staring me in the eyes!

Discussion in 'Bush Medicine' started by Mr. Tettnanger, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Woods Walker

Woods Walker Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    102 this am. Last nights 6 mile trail run and no late eating helped though didn't eat great (7 out of diabetic 10) still much better then the day before. Heading out for a trail run now. Might rain but I don't care.

2. Fat Old Man

Fat Old Man Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What's killing me is my fasting/waking numbers. The Dr. wants me under 180, 2hrs after a meal- I've never been north of 180 since I've been testing- Usually 140 or less. But my fasting/waking numbers are supposed to be under 100 and I've only done that once. They're typically under 140 and have been down as low as 109, 105 and frequently below 130. What I don't understand is why I've had my 2hr post-meal level in between 110-130 and my fasting/waking numbers the next morning over 130! That's with NO eating in between and being basically sedentary after dinner.

Any ideas why? Thanks! -FOM

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    Subdood and Woods Walker like this.
  3. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    102 during the AM but look at this for mid day.

Working out and eating right pays off.

[​IMG]

4. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    Yup. I think the reason is the stimulative effect of the meds wear down over night. So in some ways the morning numbers show how you're doing on your own and the intra day how you're doing with the meds and on your own. Not a doc and opted out of taking the meds they offered so could be wrong but that seems to be the case with most people.

Here is what I think based on your numbers. Again I am no doc.

140 or less two hours after eating is considered controlled diabetes however shoot for lower brother. Lets see the 120s. The morning numbers 109 and 105 are within the margin of error aka 15% of the meter. That's actually ok. Anything under 130 is controlled diabetes however lets shoot for the 90's.

Fat Old Man likes this.
  5. mahaney

mahaney Guide

Blog Posts:
    I know in my case- and the Endo can't figure it out, but my sugars sky rocket after working out. To the point where I can't run any more. I can walk, but it has to be a fairly easy pace. So I have been walking a lot to try and burn off the sugars.

Check out the sunrise phenomenon. Basically your body is dumping glucose into your system to get you moving in the morning. Are they high with the alarm clock going off or are they high every morning. On mornings I get up with an alarm clock, mine are higher than naturally waking up.

Also, the type of food you are eating could be to blame. If it is something with both carbs and protein or carbs and fat, both protein and fatty foods will slow down digestion which could lead to good numbers 2 hrs later (not all the way digested yet), then the carbs are kicking in when you are sleeping.

6. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    Again not a doc but I think the reason is the sugars which are being processed to provide energy can't be taken into the cells no matter what. It's a sign of a higher insulin resistance and other issues within the wildly complex system IMHO but then again who knows as they don't have a cure. My RN said blood sugars will actually rise during the day. It should be lower in the AM hence the requirement for a lower fasting number.

mahaney and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  7. mahaney

mahaney Guide

Blog Posts:
  8. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    98 this am. Back below 100 in the morning and back on the reservation!

9. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I think these meals are diabetic safe. Last night Fast Food Night - bacon cheese burger no ketchup and a side salad. The dog gets the bun and the patty goes on the salad topped off with more mayo, mustard and oil dressing.
    [​IMG]
    Tonight 6 net carb tortillas with 2 teaspoons of garlic alfredo sauce. Chicken with chopped spinach, basil, a few garden cherry tomatoes, and mozzarella slices. Drizzled with olive oil and some red pepper flakes for zing.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  10. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    That's the way brother Tangotag. For today as stated 98 in the am, 107 mid day and 90 just now. Went off the res a bit again for dinner (stuffed shrimp but no other carbs) however the night trail run burned that. The total running, jogging and hiking for the last 3 days as 36.99 miles. Today was 11.5 miles. I might have to take it easy tomorrow but might not depending on how I feel.

11. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    Last 4 readings 90, 101....95 last night and 88 this AM. I am on the reservation! Last 4 days trail jogging numbers.

[​IMG]

It's hard for blood sugar to stay high when backpack trail running over 10 miles a day. Might take it easy today aka a short hike or something.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    T. Pollock, mahaney, Tangotag and 2 others like this.
  12. Jean

Jean Guide

Blog Posts:
    Time to get a new meter, broke the battery door last night on mine. Whats good and I think I want Bluetooth this time.

My current supply of strips is OneTouch but I don't have too many left.

Woods Walker and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  13. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    89 this AM. On the reservation.

Edit. Took it easy today with all the wind. Road jogged 3.2 miles and was being pelted with acorns. Storm went out to sea but when it comes to tropical stuff a rogue gust can really ruin your day if under a heavy canopy and luck is bad. Stayed out of the woods. Ate at the Greek place. Had chicken souvlaki, yes I needed Google to spell that cuz even the hated auto correct couldn't save me. Also a bowl of lentil soup and water to drink. The chicken thing was really a Greek salad with one piece of pita bread. Bread isn't good but quantity matters and that's not much. Some strawberries at home for desert.

Will test in a few hours. Guessing 118 given what I ate for 10 pm but will find out then. Also some of you are behind with your weekly reports. LOL!

Edit. 124 a bit higher than expected but bread raises my blood sugar. Still it's well below 140 2 hours after eating.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    Mr. Tettnanger likes this.
  14. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Weekly report:

Weight=207
    Blood sugar=137

I am really surprised that I lost 2lbs this week. I was not very good with my eating and boozing with the holiday! Pizza and beer were my downfall this past week!

I also realize that if I don't get right up bright and early to walk, it is too easy to skip it after work when I get home! I also keep forgetting to check blood sugar 2 hours after meals. Heck, I'm asleep most night within 2 hours after eating! Maybe forcing myself to exercise at night, I could stay awake longer and feel better?

Excuses, excuses!

But, I am still going in the right direction!

I hope that all of you are getting after it!

15. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    Try to check intra day after lunch say 2 hours after or 1 hour after dinner. 137 is better than 140s which is better than 200's.

I was 89 this AM so for now back below 100 is holding!

mahaney and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  16. the_dude

the_dude Guide

Blog Posts:
    eating close to bedtime is something that really messes with your digestion, sleep, metabolism, etc. try a smaller dinner, take a leisurely walk afterward, and go to bed when you no longer feel full.

i used to snack right before bed, and my cholesterol and triglyceride levels were all farqued up until i changed my eating habits.

//not a diabetic, so my experience might not be relevant.

17. mahaney

mahaney Guide

Blog Posts:
    One of my issues is that if I get below 100, I start feeling really bad. For me, I almost can't tell a difference between high 80's and high 30's. Yes, I have been as low as 27.....Skipped lunch, worked all day, almost skipped dinner- started feeling horrible. Cold sweat, dilated eyes ( I could see air molecules)....Clinic hotline on base almost called ambulance for me. Anyone who has had a low that low knows what I mean.

Tangotag, Woods Walker and the_dude like this.
  18. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    My worst habit by far is eating late. Then again I often trail jog well into the night and come back hungry however that makes the habit of eating very late (12 am) and end up doing it when not night hiking and running. Gotta stop that. GGreatly reduced it however and that lowered my numbers for the am but you're right.

Oh. 27. Dang that's on the edge of the cliff brother.

mahaney, Tangotag and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  19. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    113 last night 3 hours after eating. 89 again this AM. Blood sugar is rock stable. Ran 8 miles in the cold rain last night on the trials for a total of 10.99 miles of physical activity. Going to not eat after 8-9 tonight as been cutting it back over the last week or so.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    mahaney, Tangotag and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  20. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    Ok guessing most here have smart phones etc. You can use that to record your sugar though it can't actually test. I tested some nights late because for the last week been eating dinner at 8-9 pm. For the most part been working out hard so don't get in till late. Hard to eat at 6 when I am on a 10 mile trail run till 7 or 8 pm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found my medical records from late 2014. What could possibly go wrong with this situation? They said the meds would help me drop some weight. I decided the woods would work out better.

[​IMG]

Tangotag, the_dude and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  21. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    So this AM was 105 but tonight's number threw me off. Thought it was 99 but actually 66. LOL!

[​IMG]

Lower resting heart rate makes it easier to keep on the move which in turn helps control blood sugar in many people. Earlier today.

[​IMG]

22. Frank G. Henry

Frank G. Henry Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It's easy to get rid of as its diet and exercise as you already know.

No processed sugar, breads, artificial sweeteners, soft drinks and limit the amounts of red meats and alcohol.

There are also a few products on the market that assist as well. Look up "glyconutrients" online.

Also, the latest research is indicating that dementia is Type III Diabetes.

You can whip this.

-----------------------------
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

23. Mr. Tettnanger

Blog Posts:
    Weekly update

Weight = 205.8

Blood sugar = 137

24. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    That's not bad.

I was 110 this am. Yesterday 113 then 99. Not enough sleep and hurt my foot working out (feeling better now). Still no working out raises my blood sugar. Keeping the cell phone app updated.

Tangotag, the_dude and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  25. Mr. Tettnanger

Blog Posts:
    What app do you use?

Tangotag likes this.
  26. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    It's standard on IOS 9 if you have an iPhone/Pad/Pod. I can put up info on the dashboard or list total data. Look for the little box with heart icon on you screen. Some data like blood sugar needs to be entered other like stairs climbed of distance it does for you. For example I walked extra around the super market, parked far way when shopping and despite it being only around 1 pm already have over a mile in walking. Will run later on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit! 82 at 10:30 pm (ate at 8 pm) What a low blood sugar day! 91 in the AM and 82 at night.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    Tangotag and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  27. Mr. Tettnanger

Blog Posts:
    Weekly update:

Weight: 206.4
    Blood sugar: 128

Bad week, very inactive! I missed a step/fell last Sunday and messed up my right leg and hip. Still hurting but not as bad. Put a mile in on Saturday morning but suffered for it. I see the chiropractor today.

Stone, Tangotag and Subdood like this.
  28. Subdood

Subdood Ex-bubblehead Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Hang in there Mt. Tetttnanger!

29. Mr. Tettnanger

Blog Posts:
    No activity to speak of this past week again. Back and hip are still holding me back.

Weight: 208.2
    Blood sugar: 109!

Stone and Tangotag like this.
  30. Tangotag

Blog Posts:
    I'm 7 weeks into my weight loss limiting daily 20 or less carbs a day with 30 pounds off and at least more 70 to go. I have had very little physical activity to this point though with a rucksack of weight gone that will be changing. I checked my glucose this morning before eating and had 100 and 106 checking both hands. Yesterday I had a caloric restricted day with only 672 calories consumed.
    I need to refer to my previous checks but 90-96 on a morning check was what I've had in the past. Could the caloric restrict day bump it up a little?

Woods Walker and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  31. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Scout

Blog Posts:
    Only thing to do now is grow a walrus style mustache and pronounce it "diabeetus".

Woods Walker likes this.
  32. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    Blood sugar bounces around. No way to be sure why. Come to think of it I don't know for certain if they really know 100%. I prefer below 100 for the AM but 100-110 isn't exactly going to create health issues IMHO. Be careful on overly restrictive calories for weight loss. That always backfired for me down the road.

Tangotag likes this.
  33. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    99 this morning but have done that 109 thing before. That falls within the normal range (aka within the margin of error to normal). Congrats!!!! Keep it up!

34. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    LOL! I remember that! Is that guy still alive.

Bitterroot Native likes this.
  35. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Scout

Blog Posts:
    Haha yeah as far as I know he's still pushing diabeetus products.

Woods Walker likes this.
  36. DomC

DomC Retired Old Scrub Stomper

Blog Posts:
    Wilford Brimley : born 27 Sept 34 & just turned 82yrs... still alive and kicking...:dblthumb:

Dom

Woods Walker likes this.
  37. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    92 in the middle of the day. So ran the overall averages.

7 day 102.

14 day 104.

30 day 102.

38. Mr. Tettnanger

Blog Posts:
    Weekly update

Weight 208.7
    Blood 145

Hunt4lyf, Woods Walker and Tangotag like this.
  39. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    83 this am. All week kinda high around 110 in the am but was lower for the rest of the day. Actually 110 isn't so bad still.

Tangotag likes this.
  40. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    104 mid day! Not great but good enough. Going to night run again in the bear infested woods.

Mr. Tettnanger and Tangotag like this.
  41. Mr. Tettnanger

Blog Posts:
    Weekly update. Back, hip and legs seem to be getting worse rather than better. I may have to go get it checked out.

Weight: 207.3
    Blood sugar: 140

42. Creaky Bones

Creaky Bones Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I haven't checked this thread in a while, but I'm glad I did today. I'm really happy to see you posting your progress. Sorry to hear about the setback, but there will always be some sort of obstacle to overcome. That's the way life goes. The important thing (in the words of my much better half) is to put your head down and plow through them. I just took my dad to the hospital last week for his diabetes related glaucoma surgery. I sat waiting with my mom, holding the cane I made for him after his diabetes caused strokes. I watched an 80 year old man go from carrying bundles of shingles up a ladder to me, to someone who can barely get out of a chair in a matter of days. He's a prisoner now in a body that can't do most of the things he wants it to do. I'm happy that you are taking steps to avoid a similar fate. Best of luck Mr. T. Plow through.

43. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    Good for the blood part as it is lower than the very high numbers some weeks ago. Lets work at moving the bar lower! 97 this am. In Florida on vacation. Most am readings around 110 so this is the first sub 100 of the vacation. Harder to control things when not home. Still even 110 beats the 200s I used to get in the am. Sorry to hear about the hip/leg issue. What do yes think it is.

Tangotag likes this.
  44. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    That's hard. Same thing for my friend who is in this 40's. high BP and blood sugar gave him a stroke.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    Tangotag and Creaky Bones like this.
  45. Mr. Tettnanger

Blog Posts:
    I missed last weeks update.

This weeks update:
    Weight: 205.7
    Blood sugar: 132

No real exercise. My back and hips are still really bothering me. I had a hard time even walking yesterday. I was pretty uncomfortable. I've been eating Advil like Chiclets and that is no good! It seems worse than it has since I missed the step and jarred myself. I have another chiropractor appointment today.

the_dude, Woods Walker and Tangotag like this.
  46. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    132 is getting better. I am I. Florida on a long vacation and been around 98 to 110 in the am. Higher than I like but still ok.

47. Tangotag

Blog Posts:
    Trying to do good food wise making this tonight. Shrimp scampi on spaghetti squash with graded parmesan. Still not pasta but not too bad.
    About 22 carbs with 5 fiber not a to bad net meal.
    [​IMG]

48. Sargent

Sargent Bushwhacker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    That looks good!

Tangotag likes this.
  49. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    Around 98 yesterday and 101 today. On a loooong vacation and will post photos in the trip report section when I get back in a week. Kinda off my diet (but don't drink soda etc etc). Every night I ride the bike or jog so that is saving me. Will resume weight loss attempts once back in New England.

50. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    106 last night and 89 this am. Ate much better yesterday and bushwhacked deep into the Big Cypress then jogged around Marco for 5 miles. So working out and not eating badly paid off. Almost stepped on a cotton mouth and ran into some gators in the swamp. Going to have fun doing the trip reports once I get back home.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    Mr. Tettnanger and Tangotag like this.