Disgusting Mess in a Box!!

Discussion in 'Geocaching' started by werewolf won, Apr 20, 2015.

1. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I found a box today, totally by accident while fishing. I thought it was a Tupperware box that was washed up into a fork of a tree by spring flooding. When I went to throw it in the trash I saw that it was marked as a geocach. Never having bothered with this activity I figured I’d check it out. I was the second person to find it according to the book in it. The first was a local woman, who left her address, and I assume not what I found in the box. What it contained was a disgusting mix of potential bio hazards. Namely a used surgical mask and a cigarette butt. Too bad the original placer of this box did not leave their contact info, I’d like to contact them and tell them to maintain it or remove it.

I'd also clue the person in that the vines that wrap the tree he picked are poison ivy and in a few weeks anyone finding that box will be a mess shortly afterward.

I don't own a GPS, but after finding this by mistake, I know I have better things to do with my time.

Wolf

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  2. Vanitas

Vanitas Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    better than the one I found with what looked like used tissues (not used for their nose). I actually run across them somewhat often, sometimes in places they are not suppose to be. Most of them just have a roll of paper to sign others people have messed with. Some the "box" is creative, leaf camo hanging from an oak tree ect. Unfortunately, there are some people out there that enjoy spoiling things for others.

2jka likes this.
  3. werewolf won

Blog Posts:
    Well how special was that, a nice box of used toilet paper for your trouble. People are animals.

4. hidden_lion

hidden_lion Scout

Blog Posts:
    should probably caution the lady who left her address in the box, in this day and age, probably not a wise thing to do

5. werewolf won

Blog Posts:
    It is a good point. She just left her name and the town not a complete street address. I’d hope no one would be careless enough to leave a complete address, but based on some of the information I’ve seen posted over the years I really wonder.

6. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    We did the geocaching thing for a while. It was a good way to get familiar with GPS when it was new to us (back when they were a little less user-friendly) Kids enjoyed it, and it's somewhat useful for learning to be observant - if you have people doing really creative hides. That was pretty common early on, but as time went by and it became popular the new hiders got progressively less careful about following guidelines and putting thought into it. The best caches were those that lead you to a special out of the way place with some sort of history or geography lesson involved. The bad ones were more like that described in the OP - or worse.

Ultimately, we lost interest in the whole thing as the experience degraded.

Theoretically, you could look up the owner of the cache on the associated website (last I checked, there were three different organizations - another cause of problems IMO ), and let the 'owner' know of it's poor placement and condition or even report it as an inappropriate cache. That is, if the proper documentation was in the cache. Sadly, some of those who practice sloppy cache placement also don't always include proper documentation. And even if they do, the increased chance of an accidental "find" such as in the OP increases the odds that it will be tampered with in a negative way.

If you simply removed it and disposed of it, hopefully the person who placed it there is paying enough attention to catch a clue and either do better or give it up. But if the documentation is there, it would be best to leave a note on the cache's web page so others who might look for it won't tear the place up searching for something that ain't there. Lots of "trash caches" out there though, so in my eyes it's not a positive trend. It's been years since we participated in the game though, so maybe that's changed.....

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
    Skotelawe and 2jka like this.
  7. werewolf won

Blog Posts:
    Most normal people would never find this one. I go into some out of the way places to fish and saw this on my way up the bank not going down. Based on the amount of junk in the box I assume a fair number of kids see it canoeing the river as it is not visible, even with the trees bare, from the road.

8. oldsoldier

oldsoldier Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I still actively geocache. I find that the ones that are in highly populated areas are trashed pretty quick. I have a tendency to go after the micros in those areas. I do find more traditional ones, but, when I do, they are pretty far off the beaten path, and rarely touched by anyone other than geocachers (although, in some cases, animals get hold of them).
    I've found quite a few cool places geocaching, and, currently, am doing a challenge that I must find at least one cache in every town in my state. I'm willing to bet that the amount of people who have visited every single town in my state could fit into standard size living room :).

Skotelawe, rsnurkle and 2jka like this.
  9. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Time Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I could never understand the point of geocaching.

It's like treasure hunting with no payoff in the end. Basically, a waste of time. YMMV.

In the area where I lived in Nevada, a stage coach was robbed by three men back in the late 1800s, one man was killed. They got away with $50,000 in gold bullion (1800s value). They hid the gold then split up, planning to retrieve it six months later.

A few weeks later all three were captured. During the capture, two were mortally wounded and the third died in prison. The gold is still out there and would be worth millions today. I have a hunch where it might be, within 1/4 mile, but never had the time or resources to go look for it.

Now, THAT'S geocaching!

Steve

10. rdec

rdec Guide

Blog Posts:
    "People are animals."

Correction: SOME People are animals. And, actually, they are far fewer than decent folks.

Skotelawe likes this.
  11. MANIMAL

MANIMAL Guide

Blog Posts:
    I could never understand the point of geocaching.

its way more fun with small children and its taken us to places Id have never found. its a good time

12. Vanitas

Vanitas Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Very true.

When you jump on the couch to relax don't sit on my lap, thanks. ;p In all seriousness I don't know if I've been to all, but if not definitely nearly all.

13. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Go to geocaching.com and send in the cache name as damaged and they will notify the owner. Not all people are idiots but alot are.

14. werewolf won

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, just notified them.

15. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Well, yeah Steve - pretty much. But to be fair, it's like a lot of activities - inland sailing, for instance. Rather pointless by itself as a means to an end, but the mental exercise is healthy and educational. It's often about the journey more than the destination.

Skotelawe, PMSteve and kennedjt like this.
  16. DuctTape

DuctTape Scout

Blog Posts:
    Since we have this invention called the internet, there is no need for a physical box to be left. The "signing in", or token can be a web based system where the "finder" takes a digital photo of the location and then submits it online to the "cacher" who them verifies and awards the digital token. This could even provide access to a comment section and the photos of the cache. Finders can have a digital profile which tracks their finds, etc... All this would make it more interactive and eliminate the trash left in the woods or in other public spaces.

BeardyCrow likes this.
  17. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    That's known as a virtual cache and it's already being done on the geocaching.com website. It has it's merits, but isn't as challenging as a cleverly hidden physical cache.

Skotelawe and 2jka like this.
  18. Mtnwanderer

Mtnwanderer Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I had to do this one time with some campers and you can find some pretty gross stuff in it, that's for sure.

2jka likes this.
  19. Gerald_G

Gerald_G Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    A couple of thoughts on the topic.

Through geocaching, I have discovered some beautiful tucked away nature spots that I would not otherwise have known about. This is one of the "points" of geocaching, to help discover the world around you. I live in AB, Canada, but I have hiked to a beautiful little waterfall in Wisconsin, and many other cool places thanks to geocaching.

It's also true that geocachers have been responsible for removing far more trash from these places than they have bee responsible for placing out there. True, a handful of geocaches get washed away in floods, etc, but thanks to the C.I.T.O. (cache in trash out) program, most cachers carry a garbage bag with them, and usually return from a hike with it full (sadly).

Here is an example pic.

[​IMG]

gila_dog, Skotelawe, rsnurkle and 2 others like this.
  20. hidden_lion

hidden_lion Scout

Blog Posts:
    awesome. no that would be a great adventure...if you find it, don't tell the guvment...they always find a way to steal it

PMSteve likes this.
  21. perdidochas

perdidochas Scout

Blog Posts:
    I agree. It's a great family activity, and it causes you to go places you wouldn't normally go. A local marina has dinosaur statues (think realistic putt-putt golf statues) located on it's grounds. Each one has a geocache. Finding the 6 or 7 of them made for a fun afternoon.

Skotelawe and kennedjt like this.
  22. Chazzle

Chazzle Guide

Blog Posts:
    I stopped geocaching after I was stopped by a cop for supposedly acting suspicious in an area prone to burglaries, I got patted down and everything... never again.

PMSteve and 2jka like this.
  23. PMSteve

Blog Posts:
    I agree! The gold was bound from Hamilton (a gold mining boom town - now a ghost town) to Elko, Nevada to be loaded on the train to the Carson City Mint. I'm sure the government would want it all back... if they knew about it. :54:

Steve

24. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Hamilton to Elko......that's a lot of ground to cover! Some pretty cool country though.

PMSteve likes this.
  25. Drift

Drift Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    We have had a great time Geo-caching. Sure you will run into idiots and the like but overall its a fun activity especially when you have kids or grand kids. As has been mentioned before several cachers clean up the messes the scum leave behind. Last year we found a coin that we transplanted to Indiana as part of a cache. At that time it had traveled some 4000+ miles over its existence. It is a nice way to see history of a location and sometimes just informative. Sad that a few destroy peoples views on this.

kennedjt likes this.
  26. werewolf won

Blog Posts:
    Don’t misunderstand my OP. I’m not blaming Geo cashers for what was in the box. I doubt the woman who found the box and signed in left any of the stuff I found. You leave something like that in a town parking lot with the local nick name of “Pickle Park” and you should expect it to be defiled pretty fast, and it was.

The reply I did get back from Geo.com has however given me a whole new opinion of the “sport’s” governing body. I’m taking time out of my busy day to do them a favor reporting a bad situation, and they are sending back flip answers on what I can do about it. Nice way to treat concerned people who go the extra yard to try and help their reputation.

No good deed goes unpunished it seems.

2jka and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  27. oldsoldier

oldsoldier Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've been doing it since its inception, almost. The beginning, the community was small, and well policed. Over the years, its become a beauracracy, and many cache owners are no longer active. So, many caches that are in bad shape, get report, often dozens of times-and nothing happens. Its certainly an unfortunate downside to the game. However, there are cachers there (I am one) that will remove ones that are destroyed, and leave a note explaining that. This is sometimes frowned upon, but, come on. Would you rather a 5 year old find a cache filled with potentially biohazard material? No, of course not. I know some of the active cachers in my area, and will see if the owner, if it needs to be replaced, is still active. I will let them know, and, honestly, sometimes lie, stating the cache is missing (technically, its true-I removed it), and let them handle it from there.

Skotelawe likes this.
  28. upnorth

upnorth Scout

Blog Posts:
    I gave up on these things a few years back after bumping into them by accident. I won't even touch one now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. Swede6.5x55

Swede6.5x55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I think that someone who wasn't interested in the project found it and done that business.

30. salty dog

salty dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sorry the reply was poor. I suspect the problem is they couldn't tell where it was or which cache it was, so they gave some options that sounded like you were being dismissed. Geocachers tend to be a little geeky, so they can come across that way when they are trying to be helpful. I am not connected with the .com folks, just an experienced cacher. But if you can describe where the cache was I can try and find which one it is and provide you with contact info. It may not work, but I can try.

Skotelawe likes this.
  31. Traditionalist

Traditionalist Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't really either, but if you'll PM the coordinates I'll split the proceeds. ;)

A quarter mile is small area..............unlike those treasure hunters who spend years at sea looking for sunken ships.

32. EvanStinson

EvanStinson Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    You may know within 1/4 mile where millions in gold bullion is and have never even planned one trip to take a peak? I don't know if I could resist that.

33. Self Reliantist

Self Reliantist Scout

Blog Posts:
    We used to terra-cache, but groundspeak took a dump on that.
    It was more based on just going to cool places and getting a history/geology/anthropology, pick just about any 'ology lesson. There wasn't any sleuthing, just interesting places, stories, fables, and knowledge. The Knick-knackery never was appealing or tracking travel bugs, to each their own.

Norm

bigfoot and 2jka like this.
  34. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Norm[/QUOTE]
    I sure couldn't resist, I'd be out there in a flash with my White's coin detector and at least have a fighting chance of finding something a bit more valuable than a box of used rags like Vanitas found.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    EvanStinson likes this.
  35. PMSteve

Blog Posts:
    It's rugged country but fairly easy to get into. I know where the bad guys were captured without the gold. On the route from Hamilton to the capture site, there's an area with many rock formations. The land around the area is fairly flat and featureless, so I'm guessing this is the area where the gold is stashed. They'd need a spot that would be easily recognizable, and this is it.

I often wanted to buy a metal detector and hit this spot as often as I could, but this is the time my Wife began to get pretty sick with her liver disease, so I wasn't in a position to leave her alone for any length of time, besides, what if I'm wrong? I could be wasting my time with this. I think I'm right, but who's to say?

Steve

EvanStinson likes this.
  36. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So what if you're wrong? You got a day out. I say pack an overnight bag and go for it!

80mtn and gila_dog like this.
  37. gila_dog

gila_dog BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I've placed 3 geocaches in places that are exceptionally interesting and beautiful. Some people have found them and logged their finds on geocaching.com. They said they had a good time and saw an interesting place that they would never have seen otherwise. So far nobody has trashed my caches, except one that a rat tried to chew into. It was a plastic box that I've since replaced with a metal box. But other than getting out and exploring interesting places, playing with your GPS and learning how to use it, and maybe getting a kid or two interested in doing something outdoorsy, there's really no point in it.

80mtn and AncientNCO like this.
  38. 80mtn

80mtn Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    There are quite a few old home places that I come across in The Gila Wilderness. These are all pre-1922 ruins now because that's when it was designated a 'wilderness'. Some of them have foundations and chimneys with a mantle. People leave and take things from the mantle just like a geocache. Bear skulls, lion skulls all kinds of things. I used to carry little green army men in the bottom of my pack to leave.

gila_dog likes this.