Duct Tape tales...

Discussion in 'Other Skills' started by SwissArmyKnife, Dec 6, 2012.

1. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    How many times has this versatile material come in handy for you? To many to count most likely, so let's hear about the time when it really saved your hide, or just came in really handy.

I was working overseas awhile back and my team was in an operations room with alot going on. Somebody tripped on a phone line and it broke where it had been pinched by a computer desk. The only tool I had on hand was my SAK and three or so feet of duct tape is keep in my wallet wrapped around an old ID card. So I proceeded to splice the phone cord back together and used the duct tape as an insulator. We returned later to repair it properly. But it worked well enough temporarily for everyone to keep working.
    It may not be my wildest fix or use for it but it was probably the most important.

2. Spearo

Spearo Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Hockey stick tape is the original Duct tape.

3. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    While I was going through operation Iraqi Freedom, my knife sheath strarted to come apart, and duct tape was the only thing handy to fix it and has been there for close to a decade now.

4. alukban

alukban Guide

Blog Posts:
    I had driven long way to pick a trailer that I was going to borrow and realized when I got there that I had the wrong size towball on. No problem because I had the correct size with... except for I did not have any large wrenches or channel locks.

I did have a roll of Gorrila brand duct tape however. I doubled over the duct tape so that I had a couple of long strips with both sides sticky. I then used it with a couple of short sections of 2x4 to make two strap wrenches to undo the tow ball and mount the correct one on :dblthumb:

5. GrowlingBear

GrowlingBear Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've used it to hold boots together a few times on back country trips as well as in the army. My best work was probably fixing my busted fishing pole in the middle of the Sierras. A couple twigs for support and a foot of duct tape kept me in trout the rest of the trip. Duct tape is truly one of nature's greatest treasures. LOL.

6. JerseyDevil22

JerseyDevil22 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I had to build a duct tape canteen at DC's basic class. Leaked like a friggin' sieve.......... :)

7. sherlockian100

sherlockian100 Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I had a radiator hose clamp fail on a stretch of road in Utah, I-70 I think, that goes 110 miles without any services. I was about midway through. My duct tape was able to keep my cooling system intact long enough to get to a shop. Once there, it held so well, I probably could have completed my trip. Thats one of many times I used it in a pinch.

8. YTSESoldier

YTSESoldier Scout

Blog Posts:
    Have wrapped balls of feet and pinky toes prior to 15 mile rucks to avoid hotspots.

9. bharen

bharen Guide

Blog Posts:
    Duct taped a 'prisoner' to a tree once during a military exercise. He wasn't being cooperative. Don't worry, the tree wasn't harmed.

10. Sandcut

Sandcut Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Nothing sexy here. I just use it for sheathes and blade guards for my carving tools.

Elder daughter has used it to make herself a quiver for her arrows aside from the more mundane items like book covers, purses, shoulder bags and totes.

11. Shnick

Shnick Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    C-5 we were supposed to fly on had a cracked window. They taped it and flew us from Morocco to Dover. Worked like a champ.

12. Loosearrow

Loosearrow Scout

Blog Posts:
    Picked up a BK2 without a sheath. My 12 yr grandson thought it was for him. He made a knife sheath for it out of duct tape without me knowing about it. It has been about a year and I haven't made a sheath for it yet. Seems to be holding up. He is proud of his BK2. Hope he never cuts through it.

13. 2stoves

2stoves Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Not a "bush" tale but a true one non the less.

1.5k miles away from home on a motorcycle trip. Headlight falls loose from bike. All the bolts holding the light onto the bike had worked their way lose and in the process 2 of the 3 mountings had broken off. Pulled out the handy dandy duct tape and taped it back into place since parts would have to be ordered.

It did such a good job holding it there, the duct tape was still in place 3 years later when I sold the bike.

Yep, I love me some duct tape.

14. WesternAngler

WesternAngler Scout

Blog Posts:
    Had a pair of brand new snowboard boots fall apart once. Tested them for one day on Mt Hood, then flew to Chile for some off-season riding. Opened my bag when I got there and the soles were falling off of both boots ( I blame TSA :p). No worries though, I always pack duck tape. The tape repair lasted several weeks of South American riding then I warrantied them when I got back to the states.

I hit a bear and messed up my Jeep a while back. I did some shade tree body work with a crowbar and duck tape to keep it on the road for cheap. I've had the corner light held in now with some silver duck tape for weeks, next time it needs to be retaped I'm going with some black gorilla tape, it'll match whats left of the paint better and hopefully last a bit longer in the elements.

15. Twelve Moons

Twelve Moons Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Several months ago I was solo leading an adventure excursion for a group of teens; caving, climbing, rappeling, backpacking, canoeing. The night before our departure I had them set up our tents to make sure we had all the pieces, and to be sure that they would know how to get them up quickly in the field.

After hiking in to our first campsite we dropped our gear and got the tents out for setting up. Somehow, overnight, many key pieces went missing from each tent.

We had a few small rolls of duct tape so we were able to construct basic pole frames from which we could hang the tent bodies.

We moved camp once and had enough tape for a second set-up.

It all worked out, and it was a great trip for all of us.

16. BushTramp

BushTramp Team Canada Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I made a canoe once -was fun

17. MiddleWolf

MiddleWolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    Once used duct tape to rescue some ducklings that fell into a storm drain on the lot at our dealership here near Portland. Several of the brood fell between the slats on the grate and the mom and a couple of others were standing around quaking in distress. One of the guys got a broom handle and we balled up the tape on the end. Just stuck it down and each duckling in turn got stuck and was pulled up then gently removed and placed in a box. Then mom followed the box safely across the street and all were released to continue down to the river. One guy said they used the same trick to retrieve some keys that fell in one the grates in the past.

18. froldt

froldt Scout

Blog Posts:
    On a family camping trip one of the guys brought a canopy whose poles appeared to have been used as a football. Some strategically placed duct tape later and we were safe and dry for the weekend.

I've also sported a couple of duct tape wallets plus plenty of cardboard and duct tape sheaths.

19. Hunt4lyf

Hunt4lyf Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I was four wheelin once and I broke a rear leaf spring on my four runner way out in the desert and all we had was a roll of duck tape so we just wrapped the leaf spring with the whole roll of tape and limped back to camp. This was on Outer Limits in Johnson Valley in So Cal

20. robear

robear Tracker

Blog Posts:
    well i saved a trip to the E.R. when i split my finger open on my knife. i was on a mountain top the nearest hospital 20 miles away so i applied pressure with my bandana held it their while i rummaged threw my bag found duct tape and some triple antibiotic ointment and lifted my hand above my head till it stopped bleeding and then continued on my way

21. cockeyedhunter

cockeyedhunter Guide Lifetime Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I sometimes tape my rain bibs to my rubber boots to make chest waders when I run into deep water.

22. gasmandave

gasmandave Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    bharin "Duct taped a 'prisoner' to a tree once during a military exercise. He wasn't being cooperative. Don't worry, the tree wasn't harmed.

We had to tape an un cooperative fellow to a light pole during The Gulf War Part 1 (Desert Storm) being the kind hearted Gunny(E-7) that I was I made the guys cut him loose...he was one of ours. :4:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  23. tree-ratsniper

tree-ratsniper Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've used duct tape & paper towels (or TP) as an emergency bandage on the job on several occasions. A DOT inspection finally convinced the boss that we needed a first aid kit in the service truck... :34:

24. Airth

Airth Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ditto here for first-aid use; used it in lieu of proper bandages when none were available. It has also made a handy sling--both for an arm and a rifle sling that was coming apart.

25. wulfesinger67

wulfesinger67 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yahoo! Messenger:
    wulfesinger67
    ive used the ol 100mph tape and cheapo walmart my fav is the gorilla tape you can use it for every thing...just dont tuck the roll under your arm while your working ..thats when i did a magic trick.. i pulled a gerbil out of my arm pit!! those edges are very sticky too!

26. NJWHN95

NJWHN95 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have used it for a lot. Once I was camping with a few friends and one borrowed a roll to duct tape a hammock up and then had the rest of us duct tape him into the hammock so he wouldn't fall out (ya it wasn't a very bright idea, but pretty darn funny). However, the most useful has to be the "reinforcement" of a folder. I was going through folders for school pretty fast, so finally I was fed up with cheap folders falling apart in just a few weeks so I duct taped the whole folder, and I am still using it today, a few years later. People ask about it a lot, and when I tell them they can't help but smile.

27. MtnManJoe

MtnManJoe Guide

Blog Posts:
    "I pulled a gerbil out of my arm pit" .. hahaHaHaHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
    That is the funniest 'visual' I have had in a long time .. Thank You!!!!!

28. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    I still use that as my preferred bandage when I'm working or in the field. It just holds up better than darn near anything else.

Those military stories remind me of another use it had. In Iraq, my unit managed a detention facility. We used duct tape to wrap swimming goggles so the prisoners couldn't see when they were outside the facility for transport. I've also seen it used by one of my buddies as an emergency trousers repair. Just don't use it on the inside of your thighs on them, especially if you're going commando. Talk about pulling out a gerbil! *shudders*

29. Crafter

Crafter Scout

Blog Posts:
  30. Spearo

Spearo Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
  31. Electric Cowboy

Electric Cowboy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Riding Horses in the Moutains,if a hose loses a shoe,we would make a "Duct Tape Shoe" out of Duct tape.
    A roll of Duct Tape has endless uses.

32. jontok

jontok Guide

Blog Posts:
    It was the night before x-mas.... More precisely it was Dec 23rd 2011, and it was snowing like...um...very much. I had to go do something (can't remember what), but I pulled in to this gas-station.
    It was snowing so much that you had to use your windshield wipers constantly or you wouldn't see squat.
    Now, as I was in there there was this woman having trouble finding a new windshield wiper for her car. (Turned out she had a new Mercedes which only took Mercedes wipers and not standard ones).
    I had a look at her wipers, and the trouble was that the end-clip that holds the rubber onto the metal part of the viper was broken, so she couldn't use it without scraping up her window. That was when I had a Macgyver inspired moment!
    I had some duct tape and a small SAK on me, so I used the SAK to sort of flatten a little piece of the rubber on the wiper where the clip should have been (about one cm at the end), then I taped the rubber back on to the metal part.
    Worked like a charm, and the woman could then go and pick up her daughter at the airport. :)

33. Brazito

Brazito Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Years ago while waiting at the doctors office I was reading a magazine (probably Popular Mechanics or something similar). The article was about the predictable failure of duct tape for it's intended purpose. Thanks goodness for this thread, at least it's good for something. :4:

34. n8reimers

n8reimers Scout

Blog Posts:
    Used duck tape to start a fire the other day when my cotton ball/striker wasn't working.

35. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think I'd like some elaboration on that one. I'm not doubting at all, I'd just like to hear what part of the process duct tape played.

36. n8reimers

n8reimers Scout

Blog Posts:
    If you wrap duck tape up on itself it will burn like a candle when lit.

37. Kevinthewise

Kevinthewise Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is not so much bushcrafty per say but i have carpet in my bedroom and my computer is here as well and i use one of those plastic floor savers. It started to fall apart so i grabbed my Gorilla Tape and patch it up this was over a year ago and its still going strong

38. Kevinthewise

Kevinthewise Scout

Blog Posts:
    i have created a birds nest with duck tape and used it for tender and it worked fine, it smelled terrible but it would work in a emergency situation.

39. dwightp

dwightp Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Recent North Florida transplant from Northwest Geo
  40. Cheapeats

Cheapeats Scout

Blog Posts:
    I often use it as a covering for traditional first aid products to keep them form falling off or getting dirty.

41. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    Mythbusters actually tested that one. A pilot let them shred his plane, apply the duct tape fix, and he successfully flew it. They then proceeded to completely remove the lightweight (and VERY expensive) skin and duct tape the ENTIRE plane body. The pilot noted that the added weight made it a bit different to fly than normal, but that it still flew well.

42. Lars

Lars Angry German Supporter

Blog Posts:
    We used duct tape to attach hand warmers to our Nalgene bottles when snowshoeing at 12,000+ feet altitude last Sunday. It kept the water from freezing.

43. rolandsilvajr

rolandsilvajr Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    During a survival class used it to make a fire boil water and then used it in a cup to make a torch. Worked great burned a long time

44. MWalker

MWalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    I put a small hole in my fuel tank once way out in the bush. I rubbed a piece of duct tape over the hole until enough glue came off to plug the hole, then slapped another piece over top. Held fine until I got home.

45. dogonlynose

dogonlynose Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    My first ship was a minesweeper. At the time they were wooden, and most seemed to have original piping. We had a section in an AC/R room that leaked like a sieve. So we pushed toothpicks in the holes and bound that tightly with duct tape. That pipe was nearly twice its original size before we replaced it, and looking down the interior it must have had 50 toothpicks.

46. TheGeoSquirrel

TheGeoSquirrel Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    duck tape to the rescue

When I was in High School many years ago I had a friend that decided to see how long he could make a brown paper lunch sack last. Over the course of the school year every time the bag would rip and tear he would add a piece of Duct Tape. At the end of the school year the original bag was completely replaced by the tape. I don't remember now but I think he continued to use the bag the next school year.

47. jcl-MD

jcl-MD The Enigma Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    [video=youtube;h4pW_cuzjBY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4pW_cuzjBY[/video]

GO!

48. ED-E

ED-E Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I repaired my watch band, a few holes in my bivi bag and my rainjacket/poncho with duct tape.. Repaired a knife sheath with duct tape..

49. Rider

Rider Guide

Blog Posts:
    Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver ;)

sent from my dumb phone.

50. BigDaddyO

BigDaddyO Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Power cord holders

Not bushcrafty but I wrap empty toilet paper rolls with a layer of red duct tape and slip it over the bundled up cords on all my power tools.

Makes it super easy to keep the tools tidy and the red duct tape makes it easy to find in whatever pile i'm working in.