Dutch surplus stainless mess tins

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by rescout, Feb 12, 2013.

1. rescout

rescout Tracker

Blog Posts:
    These are Dutch surplus mess tins (or “mess kit” to us Americans; I think the Aussies call this style of mess tins “dixies”). They are not the cheapest “UK” style mess tins, but as far as I know they are the only ones made in stainless steel other than BCB’s Crusader tins. I figure they will not be available as forever, so I picked up two sets.

So, other than being stainless steel, what is interesting about them? Well, if I understand the markings correctly, these are of fairly recent manufacture. The photos below are “as-received”; you can see one clearly has seen some use and the other very little use. The cleaner one is marked “KL 06” and “DUT”. From another post on BCUSA, the “KL” is for “Koninklijke Landmacht” (Royal Netherlands Army) and “06” would be a 2006 date of manufacture. “DUT” is presumable a manufacturer’s code. The more used mess tins are marked “MvD07” and actually has a website stamped on instead of a maker’s code: "www-dot-deltahouten-dot-nl" I am guessing the”Mvd” is for Ministry of Defense (Ministerie van Defensie in Dutch) and “07” is for 2007. If true, 2006 would be the last year they were marked for the “Royal Netherlands Army”. Times they are a-changing.

The 2007 mess tins have a fair bit of use for an item being in service for, at most, five years. However, the fact that such items are already surplused would seems to indicate that the Dutch Army no longer considers mess tins a useful item. This would support my hunch that these mess tins won’t be available forever. Maybe it’s all disposable plastic kit from now on.

I do not have a UK mess tin set (the “standard”) to compare them to, but I do have a Danish set in aluminum. Sizewise, the Dutch stainless tins are smaller. The larger Dutch tin is about the same size as the smaller Danish tin, being about the same in width and just a touch longer.

The large Dutch tin will hold three 8 oz cups of water quite comfortably, and perhaps 4 cups with a bit of care (it is not to the brim). The small Dutch tin will hold 2 cups of water easily, and 3 cups with care.

The stainless Dutch tins are quite thin gauge, being about 0.020 thick versus the Danish aluminum tins that have a thickness of about 0.055. This thinness allows the larger Dutch tin to “oil can” a bit in the larger flat areas; no permanent sets or dents but the aluminum tins don’t do this as they are stiffer. The rolled lip of the Dutch tins is probably there to reinforce the thin gauge – and perhaps to keep one from cutting himself on a sharp edge! The oil canning is not of concern, though. The Dutch stainless tins feel quite sturdy.

I will note that aluminum tins politely “clink” as they are used. The stainless tins “clang” rather proudly, and any grit in the handle joint will give a protesting squeak when the handles are rotated. The stainless tins are “noiser” than the aluminum ones. It is of no real bother, just something I noticed in comparison.

The Dutch mess tins are quite interesting. I’ve never used a “UK” style tin before. Hopefully over time I’ll try both the Dutch stainless ones and the Danish aluminum ones. In the meantime, it can’t hurt to have a few spare mess kits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. vakman

vakman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for posting, mind me asking how much you picked the dutch tin up for?

3. rescout

rescout Tracker

Blog Posts:
    $15 per, then shipping, from Coleman's Military Surplus.

4. Foilist

Foilist Scout

Blog Posts:
    That would make a great container for a possibles kit.

5. rescout

rescout Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Here's a photo of the Dutch mess tins with a package of Ramen noodles in the small tin to give a sense of size. The can is 15 oz, also for size reference.

[​IMG]

This photo has the Dutch tins inboard, flanked by their Danish aluminum counterparts. I've moved the Ramen to the small Danish tin. Not only is the Danish counterpart larger, it is deeper too.

[​IMG]

The khaki cover goes with the Danish tins. For anyone interested, Numrich Gun Parts offers the Danish tins in excellent condition for less than six bucks. The description states "no cover provided" but I have received four sets and all four included a cover. Maybe they don't want to bother sorting into those with and those without covers; clearly they do not promise one. There are no belt loops on the cover but still nice to have. The covers are musty, some have some frayed threading and some are dirty. The tins, however, are indeed in excellent condition. Of the four sets, all but one small tin appears completely unused. They have the usual bare aluminum wear, such as where the rivets of the pans rub against each other. Numrich's shipping is a reasonable $6.50 and you can call their order line and they will give you a code for $4.95 off shipping to encourage you to order online. I ordered three sets in one order, and it was less then $20 delivered.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  6. Okbushcraft

Okbushcraft Guide

Blog Posts:
    AIM:
    shaul67@aol.com
    Probably getting a kit for fathers day. Like the looks, thanks for the thread

7. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Not sure if it's true or not but many years ago I was told the original British tin was sized to fit a single tin of Army bully beef and one pack of hard tack inside it. The Aussie dixies have the handles swiveling on the sides which I prefer but you really do need a bag and padding of some description to stop the wear and noise.
    I no longer have mine; middle daughter borrowed and has "Misplaced" and they aren't cheap over here as nothing comes to surplus [ everything gets destroyed for security reasons] even this sort of kit.

8. rurik

rurik Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I used to wrap my inner set of handles in electrical tape & then a big rubber band on the outside. Kept the Cpl out of my face when it came to rattle. Also if you could get your hands on the old green ammo pouches they would slide inside nice and tight with enough room for your KFS.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  9. MohaveGreen

MohaveGreen Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for posting. That looks like a nice-sized kit, and versatile, too. Any chance you could post a weight?

10. rurik

rurik Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hey I saw a heap of these is a shope in Canberra yesterday for less than $30 pm me if you want the details.

11. The Stumpy One

The Stumpy One Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Not hard tack "Biscuits, Brown". Food of the gods!

UK mess tins I have some experience of. They are handy for making a quick brew, but most fresh food can't really be kept in them in belt kit because they don't seal (so the bean juice or whatever leaks all over the place), they are noisy, and any hot food put into them goes cold quickly. There is also a way to get them gleaming like mirrors that involves steel wool, metal polish, and lots of sweat. I bet you can guess what it is!

12. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Bren gun pouch, yep there was always an eye open for those, I still have mine but now nuggeted dark brown so it looks like leather, we actually got issued a lightweight cotton tea towel for this purpose with our initial kit but not the cloth outer bag, bicycle tube works well too

13. rescout

rescout Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Sorry for the delay; I've been out of pocket for awhile.

Danish Aluminum mess tins: 15.2 ounces (18.2 ounces with canvas pouch)
    Dutch Stainless Steel mess tins: 15.4 ounces

If that seems odd, keep in mind the Dutch tins are smaller and the stainless steel is much thinner in wall thickness.

14. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I just remembered that Australian mess tins underwent a size change and got smaller after my time, I prefer the larger ones myself

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  15. rescout

rescout Tracker

Blog Posts:
    For what it is worth, the dutch mess tins fit in the USGI MOLLE canteen pouch.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  16. GrandLarsony

GrandLarsony Guide

Blog Posts:
    Might you be able to supply outside dimensions (especially for the larger Danish set)?

Does anyone know if the Danish set might fit properly into a Molle SAW 200 pouch (or any other common Molle gear)?

17. Ron

Ron Guide

Blog Posts:
    Mind you the Dutch messtins are also available in aluminium!
    I do not know when they switched to stainless, but in my days they were alu. That was the beginning of the 90's.

18. rescout

rescout Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Dutch: 5 1/8 wide, 7 long, 2 1/4 deep (2 3/4 to clear folded handle)
    Danish: just a touch over 5 1/2 wide, 7 1/4 long, 2 5/8 deep (about 3 to clear folded handle)

These are the dimensions of the larger tin, as the smaller nests inside. Interesting what just a slight change in dimensions will give - you can see in the pictures that the Danish tins are visibly larger.

And, the Danish tins definitely will not fit in the MOLLE canteen pouch. I was quite pleased to find the Dutch tins fit in the canteen pouch.

Just got a 100 round MOLLE SAW pouch; the Dutch tin set will not fit in it. The small tin, by itself, will fit in a 100 round saw pouch. I think this is a commercial pouch as it has no markings, but it is well-made and has the hard plastic liners on the side walls.

I also got a MOLLE IFAK pouch (this one is genuine GI) and it will take the larger Danish tin set with a bit of room left over.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013