Early Spring Overnighter

Discussion in 'Trips & Expeditions' started by driftwood_ar, Mar 23, 2013.

1. driftwood_ar

driftwood_ar Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I got a chance to get out for an overnighter last weekend and finally got a chance to post this weekend. Last weekend in Arkansas was great for camping. Daytime temps in the 70's and high 40's to low 50's at night. This weekend it is cold and rainy so staying in is not so bad.

I hiked in about 3 miles to a nice, secluded spot. Here are a few pictures:

Signs of Spring:
    [​IMG]

Water source near camp:
    [​IMG]

Another interesting (to me) hollowed out old tree. It almost looks like a fireplace with chimney:
    [​IMG]

Roots grown together to form an "eye":
    [​IMG]

and finally, everything dumped out at camp:
    [​IMG]

Continued

2. driftwood_ar

Blog Posts:
    The Kitchen:
    [​IMG]

My new Turley (Awesome!) preparing a stake:
    [​IMG]

Getting the fire started:
    [​IMG]

A different kind of steak:
    [​IMG]

Continued

3. Pawoodsman

Pawoodsman Guide

Blog Posts:
    Great looking camp my friend

4. driftwood_ar

Blog Posts:
    And letting the fire die down:
    [​IMG]

I had a great outing overall but had a first-time unpleasant experience during the night. I have slept outside on the ground on many trips over the past 30 years without any problems. Creepy-crawlies have never been a problem for me - until now.

I had just gotten to sleep when I felt someting crawl across my ear, and then right into my ear. I won't say I freaked out but it did result in a rather quick rise from my bed. I could feel and hear "it" moving inside my ear. Apparently doing a little dance, whatever "it" was. It was very apparent that this was not going to be something I could tolerate for long and I was trying to figure out what I was going to do about it when I felt "it" moving to get out the same way it got in. I immendiately reach up and grabbed "it". It turned out to be a very tiny little spider. He did not survive the encounter but I did.

Having something moving around inside my head is not something I want to repeat. (All of those voices are bad enough! :3: ) I spent the rest of the night with a stocking cap pulled down over my ears. If it ever crept up where I could feel air on my earlobes, I would wake up, grab it frantically and tug it back down. Needless to say, it was not the best night of sleep I have had in the woods. When I got home and told the story to some friends they asked me how long the spider was in my ear. I told them it was the longest 4 hours of my life. In reality it was probably about 1 minute, but it sure felt longer than that at the time. Luckily, no harm done (well, except for the spider.):4:

Other than that little incident, it was great to get out. I will be out again soon but from now on if I don't pack a tent or hammock, I am packing earplugs. I hope you enjoy the pics and story and hope you can get out soon too.

5. mboyce

mboyce Scout

Blog Posts:
    Looks like you had a great weekend, other that that spider issue. This weekend would not have been so nice. Where in Arkansas are you? I am near Dardanelle.

6. driftwood_ar

Blog Posts:
    Little Rock. Most of my trips are in and around the Ouachita National Forest.

7. Bax 40

Bax 40 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice trip and I hear ya about the creepy crawlies, I am in Mt. Home and the ticks were out in force last weekend, 6 inchs snow this weekend.
    I have a Turley like yous coming if Iz makes it bacjk from his campin trip this week!:17:t

Larry

8. kgd

kgd Dr. Fishguts Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the thread and story at the end. Two years ago while in Florida I ended up having to stay at a campground due to timing before I could get into backcountry the next day. I was outfitted for hammock camping, but didn't find out until just beforehand that hammocks were not allowed. So I stopped by a surplus store and bought a mosquito mesh to rig up with my tarp. That evening it started thunderstorming (longer than the usual afternoon 15 min dum) and 3 or 4 rats decided that my shelter was a good place to huddle up. It didn't seem to take them long to figure out how to work their way under my mesh screening and were hopping around over my legs and body. Needless to say, the rats won the shelter. I crawled away and slept in the back seat of my rental car :)

9. driftwood_ar

Blog Posts:
    LOL. Great story. Thanks.

10. SquirrelCommander

SquirrelCommander Tracker

Blog Posts:
    thanks for the pics, they make me want to get back out there after this long winter.

11. DCP

DCP Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Good trip, can't wait for spring around here.

Gotta love the creepie crawlies, my first time using a hammock a spider found it's way down the hammock strap and went right across my face. I'm not scared of them since we don't have any that I know can cause serious issues, but it was the strangest feeling being awakened by that.

12. rlh2

rlh2 Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a great outing. Thanks for posting.

13. MightyTygart

MightyTygart Scout

Blog Posts:
    You are fortunate that it decided to come out. Otherwise, it could have been a long and uncomfortable encounter for you......

14. Woods Walker

Woods Walker Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I liked the tarp shelter. Night creepy crawlies suck. Maybe 5 years ago had my tipi setup during Autumn. Cold hard rain beating like a drum on the canopy, coffee water boiling away on the stove curled up on a Ridgerest. Life was treating me good when something fell on my eye. It was dark so couldn't see but the darn thing felt heavy like a quarter. Swatted it off and discovered it was one of those creepy evil black and yellow Autumn spiders super sized. Jabbed the nasty thing with a twig and into the fire box it went. I have the usual hand to rodent fighting stories but that was the creepiest of the night creeps.

15. Prof

Prof Guide Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I like the little coffee pot; I have one that looks almost exactly like it. Thanks for the photos and story!

16. Westender

Westender Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a great camp out! I thought it started to sound like that McManus story where he felt something cold and slimy slither across his neck and discovered it was only a lace from his hiking boot, but not until he killed it with several blows from his other hiking boot. After your story, man, makes me want to sleep with my cap pulled tight over my ears, and sealed with duct tape, indoors or out!

17. Chiral

Chiral Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a great trip!

18. Hale

Hale Guide

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a good time out, thanks for sharing!

19. OutdoorEnvy

OutdoorEnvy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nice time. Yeah once it warms up enough that the bugs are back out I usually bring the tent or hammock with bugnet. It's just a pain getting woke up and then worrying about what's going to crawl on you next. The winter and sub freezing temps is the only time I'll open ground sleep.

Anyways, the rest of your trip certainly looked enjoyable. Enjoyed your report.