Eastern White Pine

Discussion in 'Tree and Plant ID Database' started by abo4ster, Jun 27, 2010.

1. abo4ster

abo4ster Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
  2. Cracker

Cracker Scout

Blog Posts:
    Exellent video Chris, the first time I tried White Pine I was amazed how mild and not real "piney" it was.

3. Adventure Sworn

Adventure Sworn Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for this. One of my favorite trees, both to use and admire (a mature eastern white is quite the sight in my book). Good video!

4. ForestNH/VT

ForestNH/VT Scout

Blog Posts:
    Great info and very well done video. EWP is dominant in this area (King's Pines, Pine Tree Riot) and there are many stories of individuals subsisting on "Pine Noodles" during the Starving Time, March-May. Thanks!

Forest

BTW love to know more about your knife - it looks like my ideal of a bushcraft knife. Is it a rehandled Mora?

5. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder Staff Member Administrator Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Great vid Abo, I wish I could master that skill some day

6. mainewoods

mainewoods Maine Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    A Great Video loaded with great Imformation Chris In The Winter Months here where I live (Maine) My wife And Enjoy a good cup of "Eastern white pine needle Tea" with a drop or two of Honey. Great Video Thanks for Posting this.

7. abo4ster

Blog Posts:
    Funny you say that as Adirondack means "bark eater."
    http://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/tribes/a/adirondack_indian_history.htm

Knife was made by one of own here at BushcraftUSA, Mook...
    http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10906

I have used a red-handled Mora for about eight years though.

8. lowcard1

lowcard1 Guide

Blog Posts:
    That was a super vid thanks ,how well does the inner bark work for medicine.

9. abo4ster

Blog Posts:
    I am not sure how to answer that as anything I say will be totally subjective. If you drink it a couple times a day, I would say in comparison to an OTC remedy such as Mucinex, it is perhaps 50% as potent. That's just my guess based on my experience alone.

Here is a little science behind the tea with the source linked below it...

""The White Pine was used in medicinal applications by several North American Indian tribes. The dried inner bark of the White Pine contains a glycoside, an oleoresin, a volatile oil, mucilage and tannin. Brewed as a diuretic and expectorant tea, it was used to treat diseases of the mucous membranes and respiratory problems such as colds, coughs and sore throats. White Pine bark powder and White Pine bark tea are still sold commercially for this purpose. As a poultice, the inner bark was used to treat skin complaints including wounds, burns and boils.""
    http://www.sierrapotomac.org/W_Needham/EasternWhitePine_060326.htm

""White Pine Bark is an old and trusted remedy for colds and flu. It helps loosen and expel phlegm from the respiratory tract, easing bronchitis and lung congestion, and its warming qualities stimulate circulation, which may ward off colds and flu before they settle in. The high content of nature's most powerful antioxidants (proanthocyanidins/PCSs/OPCs) in White Pine Bark have made it the focus of much attention in the area of combating free radicals, arteriosclerosis and strokes.""
    http://www.herbalextractsplus.com/white-pine-bark.cfm

Also of interest from the first link...
    ""The inner bark of White Pine Bark (cambium) is the source of resveratrol, a polyphenolic phytoalexin, which is produced in plants that is reputed to have antifungal properties.

According to recent research (2008) from Peninsula Medical School, England, the resveratrol found in Pine Bark, Grape Skin and Red Wine can protect against cellular damage to blood vessels caused by high production of glucose in diabetes, claiming resveratrol's antioxidant effects are well documented. But the new research establishes a link between high levels of glucose, its damaging effect on cell structure and the ability of resveratrol to protect against and mend such damage. Moreover, resveratrol could be a factor in blocking the damaging effect of glucose, which, in turn, might combat the often life-threatening complications that accompany diabetes and potentially be a basis of effective diet-based therapy for the prevention of vascular damage caused by hyperglycemia in the future.

In 2008, Italian researchers reported in Phytotherapy Research that supplements of Pine Bark extract may reduce the pain associated with arthritis of the knee by about fifty-five percent. The study also indicated an improvement in all osteoarthritis symptoms by fifty-six percent.

White Pine Bark is considered a diuretic, and as such, encourages the flow of urine, which is said to be very helpful in cases of urinary tract infections and kidney problems.""

10. ForestNH/VT

ForestNH/VT Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the background info. I have been using Common Mullein for chest colds - maybe a combination of that with White Pine:confused: Would certainly taste good. Thanks again - great info as always!

Forest

11. Cracker

Cracker Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was thinking that same thing, how do you use the mullein?smoke/tea/tincture/powder?

12. abo4ster

Blog Posts:
    I haven't used mullein for a cold as much as I have for allergies. I would imagine the same treatment would apply... simmer green leaves in water holding your head over the steam taking about 10 deep breaths. Do this twice a day for 3-5 days. Works better if you put a towel over your head to capture the steam, make sure you breath in through your nose for your sinuses too.

Supposedly, this will prevent allergies for a season too as it covers the receptors in your sinuses with the mucilage and saponin which is contained in common mullein.

Lots of info on the web for mullein uses...

13. Guy

Guy Founder Staff Member Administrator Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I really like this type of information. Thanks!

14. lowcard1

lowcard1 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks again for this information, this is the kind of stuff that makes this forum rock.:)

15. ForestNH/VT

ForestNH/VT Scout

Blog Posts:
    I use dry leaves to make tea. Harvest in late summer, dry, crumble and keep on hand for cold season. Use roughly 1 Tbs leaves, cover with about a cup of boiling water and let steep. I really like the taste. Will have to try some in combination with EWP.

Forest

16. Old Forester

Old Forester Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, Abo.
    Some useful Information there.
    O.F.

17. KuRUpTD

KuRUpTD Guide

Blog Posts:
    Excellent video ... please keep them coming.

18. Trapper joe

Trapper joe Scout

Blog Posts:
    thanks for the info and video.learned something new today thanks to you.

19. AlpineZone

AlpineZone Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the great post on a great tree. Love the white pine.

20. unswydd

unswydd Guide

Blog Posts:
    I love learning new things about natural medicine. This is a very good example of nature at it's finest.
    Thanks for the video and information!

21. Leif

Leif Staff Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    For something extra, I made a Eastern White Pine spindle and used it with a Eastern Red Ceder and the results were good. It can be seen in my last youtube video.

22. Desmodus

Desmodus Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for sharing this! Well done!

How far west does the Eastern White Pine naturally grow? Can I find it in the midwest?

23. Dink

Dink Guest

Blog Posts:
    I have about 20 of these in my front yard (of the place I am selling) that I planted in 1990. Just don't plant them or any other evergreen within a certain distance to fruit trees...I forget how far...it will cause the fruit to get rust rot on it and pretty well ruins the crops. I will plant some at my new place on the back of the property as far from my orchard as possible.

24. abo4ster

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the feedback.

In the link below is a US map showing the states Eastern White Pine can be found. You can click on a state and it will give you the counties it can be found as well. In my experience with other trees, the maps are fairly accurate.

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=PIST

25. abo4ster

Blog Posts:
    Did you see rust on your Eastern White Pines? There is a White Pine Blister Rust (another non-native introduction), but it is more prevalent in the northeast. The alternate host is Ribes spp, not fruit trees.

Cedar-Apple Rust goes after fruit trees of which Junipers are the alternate host. Even if you had rust on your White Pines, I betcha that the junipers where the real culprit. They can be several miles away and still create an impact on an orchard.

26. Myxinikela

Myxinikela Scout

Blog Posts:
    The active ingredient in white pine is Shikimic Acid, normally found in all plants and some bacteria as a metabolite. Most plants use it up to form other necessary compounds for growth. Conifers (eg pine) store some, probably "Money in the bank", an adaptive development insuring survival. They retain 1 to 3.5% of their weight in shikimic acid, with white pine in the upper figure. Roche, who manufactures Tamiflu, an anti-flu medication, gets their supply from China (star anise) at between $300 to $700/kg. The white pine is being investigated as a commercial source. The process being contemplated is to have a separate truck at pine logging operations to collect the needles, but a commercially viable process of separating the acid from the needles must be found.

To get the most compound, the tree must be actively growing (metabolizing), and the needles fresh. Chop them up and brew your tea. A much surer method than guessing at what to put into flu shots.

As an aside: Adirondaks means"tree eater" and is a derogatory term for those peoples without the wit to put in a few crops. (the morpheme for bark is osno).

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  27. Firm_04

Firm_04 Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Very interesting, thank you all

28. mainewoods

mainewoods Maine Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    A small Fact on Eastern White Pine (Register for the Biggest Pine here in Maine 2008)
    ** Circumfernce 229"
    ** Height 125'
    ** Crown spread 72'
    ** Location Morrill, Maine

This Is A Biggie For Sure!!! Last time I saw it (in 2009) was still there!

29. Firm_04

Blog Posts:
    Is there any health concern about drinking white pine tea on a daily basis ? This morning I found a big recently fallen branch with thousand of needles to harvest

30. whitepine

whitepine Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Alright, my favorite tree!

31. whitepine

whitepine Tracker

Blog Posts:
    abo4ster and others: be forewarned that the maps on the above URL are not 100% accurate. They left out half a dozen NC counties, including mine, where there are literally thousands of acres of white pine canopied forests. They also have a tool where you can put in info on the usda site, but it is currently not working :( but thanks for the otherwise usefool tool!

ps: I hope my post doesnt sound too negative...

32. abo4ster

Blog Posts:
    I agree with the maps not being completely accurate; unfortunately, there are not that many range maps online. For the most part, they can get you close... I think many discrepanies occur on the freeze zone boundaries...

Thanks for pointing it out, good that folks know these maps aren't perfect.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  33. abo4ster

Blog Posts:
    All I can say is... I don't know.

Too much of anything can kill you, but I doubt a cup of pine tea a day would have a negative effect even in the long term. I would imagine coffee would be a far worse beverage daily and look how many drink coffee everyday...

Again, outloud speculation on my part. Really don't know.

34. Firm_04

Blog Posts:
    You are totally right, thanks

35. abo4ster

Blog Posts:
    Two and half years later and the wound from harvesting the inner bark in the video has healed nicely. Branch did not die, but did have less needles.

[​IMG]

36. book

book Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The distance between the branches of an Eastern White Pine is that years growth. You can get a rough age of a white pine by counting the branch whorls plus branch scars. The distance between the branches is an indication of how good the site is. The white pine is a preferred specie of the white tail deer so that in many states, it is very difficult to establish.

37. Vanitas

Vanitas Guide

Blog Posts:
    W.Pine is one of my favorite trees (unless its near my house or driveway). Its range however is still being pushed further and further north as well as sugar maple. Massachusetts for example has had its hardiness zone changed from 6 to 5/5B. In the ADK Oaks are moving into pine habitat where oak has never been seen before. In just the past 10 years they started finding Oak up near cranberry lake in pine stands.

38. inaweofwilderness

inaweofwilderness Tracker

Blog Posts:
    i've made pine needle tea from white pine a few months ago but maynot have processed it right to make it as tasty and effective. i just threw a couple clusters of 5 needles in the hot water and let it cook a little bit..still not bad but im sure there is a better way. my wife and i are both sick with chest colds (given to us by our grandson lol) and i may trek out and make the inner bark tea. Chris thank you so much for the video. now i know how to best collect it for my use and do minimal dammage to the tree. this kind of info ya can't even put a value on :)
    frog

39. Boe

Boe Scout

Blog Posts:
    thanks for the usefull link

40. Vanitas

Vanitas Guide

Blog Posts:
    If you are talking White Pine Blister Rust, its alternate hosts are Ribes (raspberry, ect). I can't think of a rust that moves from W.Pine on to most fruit trees. However Cedar Apple Rust may be what you are thinking of. This rust ruins crops but doesn't affect W. Pine.

41. darodalaf

darodalaf Guide

Blog Posts:
    When I lived in NY, My standard bushwhacking wandering practice was whenever I had an overlook, I would identify groves of White Pine and make for them. Their relative lack of undergrowth made the groves perfect places for camps, lunchspots, etc.

I remember reading Thoreau bemoaning the status of the White Pine something like, 'once harvested to become masts on the most powerful ships in the world, now they are reduced to making matchsticks.' I think he would be happy to see that much of the northeast has seen them restored to their former stature, changing climate/range aside.