ECWCS Fleece jackets

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by wizard, Jan 24, 2013.

1. wizard

wizard Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Anyone use the military ECWCS black fleece jacket, Gen II? Bascially it is the same as The North Face Denali jacket without the $200 pricetag.

I am more of a wool person than a synthetic fleece user but I do like the fleece for a mid layer on really cold outings and I like fleece as an around town jacket on a cold day.

You can still find the 300 weight Polartec fleece jackets around for about $25 in excellent condition. New ones will be about $40. The military has gone over to Gen III and a different cold weather system and the 300 Polartec fleece has been discontinued. Great buy for those that like a synthetic fleece.

I like the inner pockets, pit zips and velcro cuffs. The jacket is in some ways more versatile than a wool sweater. Just stay away from that campfire if you're using it as an outer layer.

2. tim martin

tim martin Tracker

Blog Posts:
  3. Galen

Galen Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I actually have both. I've used the Denali Jacket for almost 15 years and picked up the Gen II ECWCS fleece at an Army/Navy Surplus store about a year ago for$20 . To be honest, I think the ECWCS is actually nicer. It's got a taller collar and I think the Polartec fleece is much nicer than on my Denali (although to be fair my denali is almost 15 years old and has seen a lot of use.) Plus the ECWCS was made in the USA!! All in all I think it is a much better buy IMHO.

4. Pawoodsman

Pawoodsman Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have the ECWCS one and it's great I haven't needed to where it with the parka yet not cold enough .

5. wizard

Blog Posts:
    I have a Denali also and I like the ECWCS better too. I like the adjustable cuffs, the inside pockets and the overall cleaner look than the Denali jacket. The Denali has the 2 upper chest pockets that are nice but they detract from the clean look. I could buy 8 ECWCS Gen II jackets for the retail price of a Denali.

You can find the Denali's on sale, sometimes under $100, which is good. I still prefer the made in the USA ECWCS GenII though.

The Duluth fleece looks good, not sure of the thickness of the fleece compared to the Denali and ECWCS, which use Polartec 300 weight. There are no ventilating pit zips on the Duluth either and that is a very useful feature for hiking and doing strenuous activity with the jacket on. It keeps me from overheating. I like to have pit zips on both the fleece jackets and outer shell jackets, like my Marmot Pre-Cip or my ECWCS Gore-tex parka.

6. BabasBear

BabasBear Guest

Blog Posts:
    Tim, I have the Shoremans fleece, it is one of the best I have owned. Worth the money in my opinion.

7. BushMetal

BushMetal Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    300wt black mil one here

love it bought some for the family

8. winterlover

winterlover Guide

Blog Posts:
    I like the gen1 "Bear Suit" jacket myself, very bulky but WARM!

9. Farmboy

Farmboy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just got the ECWS GenII jacket a couple weeks ago, heavyweight, warm, BUT the wind blasted through it like it wasn't there. Maybe it was just mine, but it definitely needs a windbreaker over it. By the way I got mine for $20 plus $10 flat shipping. Came in like-new condition.

-Farm.

10. Yellow Lab

Yellow Lab Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Great jacket. I was issued this a few years ago and really like it.

11. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder Staff Member Administrator Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Got one and love it

12. Leif

Leif Staff Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    I am using one zipped into my ecwcs parka. Working like a charm, and its below 0 tonight.

13. Mattexian

Mattexian Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've got one of the Gen1 "brown bear" liner jackets that as was mentioned earlier, ain't worth crap if the wind's blowing and you don't have the parka shell over it. Instead of the Gen2, I've got a Condor Alpha fleece jacket, that I love for the handy pockets and sleeve Velcro patches for showing off my morale patches (since I'm not in anymore).

Matt in Tx

14. Howie

Howie Guide Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    have about 10 or so. one of my favorite clothing items for the mountains to school. durable, light, dries quick. [​IMG]

15. Farmboy

Farmboy Scout

Blog Posts:
    So they do need a "hard shell" over them to keep the wind out, or am I just being cold-blooded?

-Farm.

16. wizard

Blog Posts:
    I never go out to the bush without a good shell and yes, the standard Polartec fleece is not windproof. The objective is to have it breathe, which it does alright, though not as well as a wool sweater.

The main thing for me is usefulness for the money and at around $25 it is hard to get anything that warm and well made in any material. Sure, I have better jackets and sweaters and shirts but they all cost quite a lot more. As I said in the first post, I am more of a wool person and prefer natural fabrics mostly. The fleece does have a place and it works well as a mid-layer item or as an outer jacket on many occasions. Still, the motivator for me was the price vs. some alternatives. They are starting to thin out at places like ebay, since they are no longer issued or made, there is a supply out there and it is selling out pretty quickly.

A good time to pick one up is now, if you are interested. :1:

17. ThomasA

ThomasA Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If you think the ECWCS fleece is equal to a north face, more power to ya. I hate the ECWCS. It doesnt cut wind for sh*t and it's bulky and too stretchy. It doesn't pack small either. I love that it's the ONLY option I have for a jacket other than the goretex shell, which is the complete opposite. Cuts wind, but sweats you to death.

18. ThomasA

ThomasA Tracker

Blog Posts:
  19. captainamer

captainamer Scout

Blog Posts:
    ECWCS fleece is not designed to stop wind or be worn as an outter layer. Nor was the brown gen 1 Buffalo. These are designed as a insulating layer is what they told me in the marines during cold weather training and have proven this to myself repeatedly whike taking the dogs outside and i through one on no matter who made it, they are not a wind stopping jacket. :thumbup:

If you want a wind proof jacket then just get one.

Just my 2 cents

:beer:

20. POGEYBAIT

POGEYBAIT Scout

Blog Posts:
    The ECWS fleece is a great jacket, but the north face jackets are finished better. I've owned several of each and wear them all the time. You can't beat the ECWS for the money.

21. redneck17

redneck17 Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    wearing one right now. I actually like it pretty good. pair it up with the ECWS parka and you will be plenty warm and dry in some pretty cold stuff. as a stand alone, it works good in milder weather(say down to about 10 degrees for short periods). very comfortable too. construction is a little weaker than Id like, but for off duty stuff, i have the older generation fleece(the black one). that one is built heavier and thicker. good choice either way.

22. cgeb

cgeb Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I wear the ECWS just about everyday in the winter. I buy them new and logo them for my business. I don't think there is a beter value out there in fleece. I would be lost in a fleece without pit zips. I can be in the car one minute then working in a home with no heat the next. I love the zip to regulate my heat so I don't sweat to much.

23. pedro

pedro Scout

Blog Posts:
    I love my ECWCS fleece. Cheap, durable insulation layer. Throw a windbreaker over it and I'm good to go.

24. Vipers

Vipers Tracker

Blog Posts:
    When first introduced they weren't even authorized for external wear in the Army... although I hadn't been issued one yet at that point. When a 4 star starts being seen regularly wearing his an outer layer things change though. ;)