Emmrod Pack fishing pole

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Doc, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Doc

Doc Scout

Blog Posts:
    Okay tribe first let me start by saying I am in no means a "fisherman". (however ,it being a good bush skill to have I felt I should try.)

After spending several months of reading various threads on finding a good pack pole, I decided to take the leap for all of us and buy a Emmrod Packer fishing pole

Now let me start buy saying I have far less time then I am sure 99% of you. Up till about 2 months ago the last time I dropped a line in the water was more then 25 years ago.

However my lack of knowledge/practical experience I feel gives me a perfect point of view as to the issues facing a new fisherman.

So in the last few months I have spent about $200 bucks on varies wally world fishing setups for myself and family. During that time my R&D department. (staffed by my 11 y/o son) has managed to destroy or break 2 out of 4 poles. One a collapsible model the other a standard 6 ft.

This brought me to chasing down the Emmrod pole.

First, let me say I am using a spinning reel on this set up. this is not what they recommend but I had two spare from the R&D dept...so I used it.

Second...while the reel showed no issues on the pole. I am not reveiwing the reel.

Now on to the review. If you watch the videos on the Emmrod site...they show you a ton of different points to the pole they have designed. I was interested in only 2 of these points...however a third did become a wonderful suprise.

Point one. Packability/Size. I have broken this pole down and stuffed it in to my pack with no concerns of it breaking or snapping. The metal construction make this thing almost bomb proof.

It lives in the side pocket of my Snugpak rocket pack. I can have it out and assembled in about 60 seconds. This includes attaching the reel and stringing the line.[​IMG][/IMG]

Point two. The ability to get a good cast from a small rod and reel.

Since I choose to fish creeks i am always dealing with low over hanging limbs and river edge plants. As a novice, fishing with a standard pole, in those conditions was a nightmare. I lost lines,hooks, and my dignity to limbs and branches.

With the packer I was able to cast EXACTLY where I wanted to with very little practice.

The added bonus I cam to really enjoy...due to the built in spring. Setting the hook...is actually done by the fish.

Ok so that my 2 cents review. While I do have a "hobo" fishing kit. the Emmrod packer is my pole of choice.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. madmax

madmax Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Well awright! That's certainly not a cookie-cutter rod and reel. And nothin' can refute a stringer of fish. Sounds like you found your ideal pack rod.

3. Nerual the Mad

Nerual the Mad Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'd love to see it in use..

4. Mr.Black

Mr.Black WILDEROXEN Tracker Pack #1 Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    That is a awsome little rig,the spring rod is brilliant! bet it was fun to use.
    Take care.
    M/BK

5. BushTramp

BushTramp Team Canada Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    looks good-that rod has intrigued me for awhile-one day i'm gonna have to just buy it

6. Bucketosudz

Bucketosudz ARTISAN ATTRIBUTES

Blog Posts:
  7. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, that is a neat idea, ideal for a bit of unplanned fun on a trip. :)

8. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder Staff Member Administrator Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Thats different lookin, might need to try that

9. Skab

Skab Staff Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Nice little poles, have fished with a few of the same design before. They were orginally desgined for ice fishing, sold in the 50's under the brand name "Stub Caster" I passed one up in an antique shop a few months ago, they wanted too much for it and the handle was broken.

Attached Files:

• d5_1.jpg
      d5_1.jpg
      File size:
      11.8 KB
      Views:
  10. SigNY

SigNY Scout

Blog Posts:
    Man that is just what I have been looking for. I am going to get one of those and try it out. Thanks for the review!

11. Outrider

Outrider Scout

Blog Posts:
    I really like the look of that! Looks like it would handle being humped around in my pack a while with no ill effects. I'll have to look into one of those.

12. ROCK6

ROCK6 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Great review Doc, and nice load of trout!!!

I've been using the Emmrod Packer for awhile it's a really effective, compact and robust rod. I recently picked up the more compact Packrod and the fly rod (which I love for remote mountain streams).

You can also removed the rod and thread the handle through the coils making it even more compact:

[​IMG]

Here's my flyrod:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They take getting use to. If you're using top water jib bates, you need more movement compared to a longer rod; just some different techniques. In heavy under-brush, these rods excel, allowing you to really reach some remote and hard to reach holes.

ROCK6

13. mischief

mischief Guide

Blog Posts:
    What weight fly line does the rod handle, I see you have a 3/4 wt reel. Will it handle a 5 weight?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  14. ROCK6

ROCK6 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'll have to check but I've used up to 5 and 6 weight lines. If you check Emmrod, you can get few coils for heavy lines or more coils for lighter lines. Most of what I used this for is smaller 2-3 pound bass, brim and trout when up in the mountains.

ROCK6

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  15. Doc

Doc Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yeah my son is begging for one of the packers for himself...soooo Im gonna get me a pack rod ans let him have my current set up.

I just wish I could find a good light baitcaster reel that could work for creek/river trout.

16. J

J Bushwhacker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Those are awesome.

17. justin_baker

justin_baker Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Doc,
    Trees, reeds, branches,
    They are the arch nemesis of every fisherman.
    One idea is to take a saw or machete and use that to chop down some overhanging branches. This might be illegal or impractical if you are fishing along a city park or something though.....but something to consider.

18. mainewoods

mainewoods Maine Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Looks cool Heavy price for a small rod I think My 2cents.

19. Doc

Doc Scout

Blog Posts:
    You know MW I couldnt agree more with you.

However my largest reason for going ahead with getting one was the fact I like the durability of it. Plus being such a novice fisherman...I just feel more comfy with something other then a hollow tube and line set up.

20. Blazin

Blazin Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've been using multi piece spinning rod sets and a particular Eagle claw telescopic rod that work really well. However this rod is so compact and looks very practical if not almost indestructible. Its on my lists of wants but they do seem pricey.

21. Suspectdevice

Suspectdevice Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I agree about it seeming pricey but considering the cost of replacing my lost or damaged pack rod sections over the years it could be worth it. What is the tip-top eyelet made of? Is the rod totally inflexible other than the coil spring section?

22. anubis1335

anubis1335 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    AIM:
    anubaeobscura
    Thank you SOO much for the review. I have be "this close" to grabbing one for my pack. This helps w/ my decision!

23. Doc

Doc Scout

Blog Posts:
    For the most part I would say the rod is rather ridged...however depending on where and what type of fishing your doing...you could just purchase a "rod tip" that is in order with your intended fishing.

BTW...this weekend I took a rather long slide/fall (I guess about 25 feet or so) down a rock face hiking in to my fishing spot...landed flat on my pack with my rod packed in side.

Fishing rod came out of it no worse for wear. The same fall seems to have cracked a small pelican case I had in my pack.

As far as the tip eyelet...I think it is a stainless steel of some sort.

I love bomb proof stuff.:D

24. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a Emrod Packer set up with two spring rods. Overall it catches fish fairly easily. Thinking about buying another real set with line for ice fishing. For panfish, smaller bass and the like where I fish it is just fine. Looks like they do well on trout too. Have yet to catch a big fish on mine to see how the action and rod handles. Not for lack of trying though. Depending upon needs, wants and wallet thickness there are cheaper ways to go. I've caught just as many or more fish with my sons 30 some odd inch fiberglass kids rod with floaty handle. Emrod with two poles and a bag of gear around $100, kids rod with a small box of hooks, weights, bobbers, about $25. Durability about the same with a slight edge to the emrod, but my kid hasn't broken his yet with plenty of abuse. Lots of fishing options out there......

25. Geoffrey

Geoffrey Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the pictures and feedback.

I have been on the fence about getting one of these, I think I may need to get one now.

Thanks.

26. Jaycad

Jaycad Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have one and LOVE IT! Strapped to the side of my pack!

27. solocanoe

solocanoe Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    nice. looks durable too. love my little telescopic rod. that and my tenkara set up have replaced my old packrod fly rod/spinning combo.

also, I haven't used these...but folks can check out http://penfishingrods.com/shop/index.php

if I didn't have a zillion fishing set ups already....this may be a good little set up to start out with.

28. Doc

Doc Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just got a second one of these for my son for Xmas. I have a real hard time now looking at other poles. LOL

(my fishing pole version of the scandi/convex issue)

29. gold prospector

gold prospector Scout

Blog Posts:
    I am planning on geting one or so of those rods this spring looks like a great tool for sure.

30. OddTheViking

OddTheViking Guide

Blog Posts:
    I saw these at a booth at the MN State Fair last week. AWESOME! Obviously super light and compact, durable, but pricey. It's very high on my list of fishin gear. The thing that sold me was the guy at the booth was able to pull back the lure, aim it at a target, at snap it away like a shot from a slingshot!

Here's the web site: http://www.emmrod.com/

31. Doc

Doc Scout

Blog Posts:
    These little poles have quickly become my favorite non-knife bit of kit.

My favorite aspect is the easy that you can cast under overhanging limbs.

32. itsomac

itsomac Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just use my lil 15$ ice rod from cabellas held upto a 5lb cat so far

Sent Via: Typewriter

33. Wildmike

Wildmike Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for sharing that link. Been looking for these for a while. Didn't know who made em.

They look like an excellent option for a backpacking rod.

34. neal krantz

neal krantz Lost....But never stuck Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the review looks like I might have to give it a try.

35. Gingerman

Gingerman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Price vs Cost

I was given my first Emmrod, so the price was of no affect. I immediately fell in love with it. I expected to pack into my bag for back country carry (it is only 10 inches or so broken down) but I wanted to see how it worked. I enjoyed using it so much that I found myself using it exclusively all year.

So I bought a couple more rod tips, ie, the stainless steel part, for about twenty dollars, and found I had three very nice rods that could all three go completely in my pack.

So I always have a fishing rod, if the opportunity arises. I've had several (read 8 or 9) folding, telescoping, breaking down type rods. I'm not counting my 3and 4 piece fly rods, which work just fine, and are bulky, delecate in comparison, and much more expensive. Mostly, the portable rods are cheap toys that don't last a season, and in aggregate cost more than the Emmrods.

Then I bought the fly rod, which is considerably cheaper initially than my cheapest 9 footer, and has no chance of breaking in rough handling. It doesn't cast like a 9 footer, but it works well on most streams in my neck of the woods.

Which brings me to price vs cost. Cost is the hard dollars that are paid up front, plus the price of time and/or aggravation, plus the worth of reliability, plus thevalue you plaxe on your pleasure, plus the actual valuevof the tool as a survival tool. Also, there is a value to excellent customer service, which I got. I needed some help on an order, and talked diectly to the owner and inventor of the company.

I find my Emmrods are not very pricey at all.
    I plan to buy at least two more systems from them for my wife and son.

Oh, BTW, I'm not affiliated in any way with the Emmrod company, except as a satisfied, happy customer.

Gingerman,
    In Maryland

36. IamLegend

IamLegend Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Bump
    Don't really get how these rods work. Would like to see some vid on them.
    And what about the weight versus the pin rod style and other?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  37. IamLegend

Blog Posts:
    That's a good link bro. Never used a penrod but it seems to me that as long as the rod holds up and don't break it should be the same as using an ultralite rig. Am I wrong in that thinking? Or is the difference mainly in the reel size versus an ultra lite reel I wonder?

Edit: I'm looking at the goliath 5'3" with all aluminum spinning reel. But I'm just wondering about the reels???

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  38. karlhungusjr

karlhungusjr Scout

Blog Posts:
    They work just like any other rod/reel combo. they're just smaller

here's some vids from their site. unfortunately most other videos on them seem to be from resellers and not end users.

http://www.emmrod.com/pages/Media.html

39. solocanoe

solocanoe Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Hey Legend - yep the rod has been OK. It's sorta a back up to back up...and I've not taken it out much recently. I got some telescoping Eagle Claw rods at Academy for under $10 each and they are more of a "real rod" and I like them fine. They go down to around 13" which seems to fit in my packs just fine. I still keep the Penrod setup - ammo pouch and all ready for whatever though.

The Emrods are still most awesome looking to me though. My dad had these little metal trolling rods growing up - they were just a couple feet long....awesome little dudes. The emrod gets fantastic reviews!

40. IamLegend

Blog Posts:
    All your points make sence. Here's my biggest concern with the emmrod. Just don't look like you can get the action out of it as you can with a traditional rod. I'm used to casting in, around and under all types of limbs and such with any size rod but I don't see how you could use those techniques with that rod. Although I realize they're say you would not need to do much flipping and such with that rod but it just looks awkward to use. In writing this I just realized I'm not gonna know for sure unless I try both. I brought this thread back up to look for your opinion mostly but I think I'm gonna have to get my hands on both to see what works for me. Getting both is not a bad thing anyway:)

41. cockeyedhunter

cockeyedhunter Guide Lifetime Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I bought an Emmrod about 10 years ago after seeing a review in Fur-Fish-Game. I was tired of breaking graphite poles when backpacking. I found they were made in the USA and are very durable. I have been happy with this pole and use it every summer.
    [​IMG]

42. jacksterp

jacksterp Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Another vote for Emmrod.

I have the Combat paired with the Emmrod spinning reel and absolutely love it. Easy to pack and very capable. I can cast easily 50+ feet with a 1/4 oz. lure/bait. More than enough for the streams and ponds/lakes I fish or hike to and more than enough for the fish I catch - mostly Bass, Crappie and Channel Cat.

43. canoesonmyfeet

canoesonmyfeet Scout

Blog Posts:
    what lure did you catch those bad boys with

44. jkfisher84

jkfisher84 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ive been fishing for a majority of my life and have never seen this. My fishing tackle will grow bigger now and my wife will hate me that much more