Esbit/Alchohol Stove Set-up pics

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by Panzer, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Panzer

Panzer Prepared Wanderer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I came up with this little set-up trying to make a lightweight and simple cooker for making joe in the field. I have had both stoves for years and used them separately with success. But together I was able to boil water in under 5 mins. in my glacier cup. The esbit acted as a stand and a windscreen. Plus it give me the option of burning esbit or twigs (I have done both in the past). There are many stove options out there but I re-purposed what I had instead of buying something new.

This set-ups going in my day bag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. roweman07

roweman07 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've been thinking the Esbit or East German stove will be my next stove purchase!

3. sdjsdj

sdjsdj Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Personally, I like the East German stove because it is smaller and seems to be made of better steel.

BTW, very ccol idea Panzer.

4. ashman

ashman Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have an Emberlit Mini Ti that I acquired an esbit tray for, from a guy over on the Hammockforum.net website. He goes by Caribou Bentspoke, and not sure he still sells them or not. I can also place a small alcohol burner on the tray. I usually use the Emberlit as a wood burner, like it's ment to be...but having the esbit or alcohol as a fallback is nice.

I am still trying to figure out the best way to use my trangia in Emberlit, but the other little alcohol burner does fine as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Roamer

Roamer Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nice setup Panzer. I'm a fan of the versatile folding Esbit stove, too. I'm experimenting with making an alky burner out of a small shoe polish tin that fits inside the Esbit stove when it's folded up. Handy concept, potentially. I think my first attempt had too many burn holes, however, and it burned a bit too fast. :45:

6. ESEE-Fan

ESEE-Fan Scout

Blog Posts:
  7. Spork

Spork Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've experimented with different alky burners and have come to prefer non-jetted ones. The single column of flame seems to work better with smaller vessels like canteen cups.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I recently acquired a "Large" Esbit stove...it's bigger than the Coghlan's version and stores a entire box of 12 tablets.

[​IMG]

8. rolandsilvajr

rolandsilvajr Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    maybe driling two small holes on each side and using metal dowels would work great idea though has me thinking or you could make two diff sizes of coat hangers and drill small holes in a small metal block

9. ESEE-Fan

ESEE-Fan Scout

Blog Posts:
    Please tell me all the parts of your setup

10. hmichel777

hmichel777 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have both. The east german is not as stable as the esbit stove and it rusts.

11. ashman

ashman Scout

Blog Posts:
    I considered drilling holes, but since it's Titanium, I thought it might be hard to drill...have never dealt with drilling titanium. I have found that sitting something under the Trangia to raise it up works just fine. I used the simmer ring, and it works fine...but could be just a little taller. Besides, then I can snuff the burner out. I think I am going to just use some rocks or cut some sticks and use that.

12. Eagle Scout

Eagle Scout Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Had picked up an Esbit stove to play with. Can't argue with the design, it's bulletproof. I like it now for twig fires but had used it with an open cup style alchohol stove. Ended up replacing it with a homemade stove.

This is the setup I carry all the time now. A Toaks Ti cup nested with the GSI insulated mug nested with the Embark water bottle. The stove is homemade kit inside a small plastic first aid kit container. The stove, fuel, and ligher are less than 4 ounces.

Stove1_zpsd30c9b39.jpg

Here it is setup. The stove is made from two 7.5oz soda cans and is pressurized. The triangle pot stand is a cut wire cooling rack. Used the metal round handle off a chip brush cut into sections to create the round sleeves that hold the stand together. Boils 1.5 cups in around three minutes using .5oz of HEET. I carry a full ounce of fuel in that container.

Stove2_zps6a988f3a.jpg

13. rdec

rdec Guide

Blog Posts:
    Tinny at Mini-Bull Designs has a design for an Esbit replacement he calls the Ssbit stove. He doesn't list it currently but may be willing to make a few. I have one and they fit into anything that uses Esbit tablets and have a similar flame pattern. His Atomic and Mini-Atomic stoves are jetted but the jets point toward the center making them ideal for smaller cups. They do need a stove stand but the Esbit stove would likely do fine. I'll try to dig out the bits and pieces and try the Esbit stove with the Mini-Atomic.

14. Code Red

Code Red Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Panzer,

Like you, I have an esbit that I use all the time, and a couple trangia/SVEA alcohol burners that I like, but don't use much anymore.

Do you think a commercial Trangia would work for your set-up, or does it have to be a homemade stove?

I like being able to carry the fuel in the bulletproof trangia, but this may be the encouragement I need to try other things.

15. photobear

photobear Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Can you tell me more about the large esbit? I thought about getting one (thought it would be better as a wood burner than the smaller version), but from the pictures it looks like the base is higher off the ground than the regular esbit stove, meaning there's really no more space to put twigs than in the regular one. Can you measure the space from the floor (where the esbit tab sits) to the top?

16. Spork

Blog Posts:
    The pouches are MOLLE Grenade pouches. The windscreens are made from Dollar store steel cookie sheet. The burners are small tins filled with insulation, carbon felt in one and fiberglass in the other.

17. Spork

Blog Posts:
    Dimensions closed:

Small - 3-7/8" x 2-7/8" x 3/4"
    Large - 5-1/8" x 3-3/4" x 1-3/8"

Opened in the H-shape the distance from fuel pan to top of stove:

Small - 1-3/4"
    Large - 2"

The distance from fuel to bottom of the pan is not going to vary by a large amount because that is probably determined as the optimal gap for the Esbit fuel.

18. Crazysanman

Crazysanman Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I have one of these for sale in my trade blanket thread:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's an original Minibull BIOS stove from around 2008 or early 2009.

I switched to Esbit stoves a few years ago. I have two of the folding stoves, two emergency stoves, and one of the tiny little titanium ones.

19. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It all depends on the design. My jetted alcohol stove design shoots a nice centralized flame. Here is a picture of it setting in my homemade Emberlit.

Attached Files:

20. photobear

Blog Posts:
    Ok, that's pretty much what I thought. Thank you!

21. wooly bugger

wooly bugger Scout

Blog Posts:
    I love my Kettle #1 and the old Esbit stove combo for when I'm on the move and don't want to fuss with a fire. I have also used these with twigs, bark, etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. photobear

Blog Posts:
    Nice! I had the Snow Peak Kettle 1 and it worked out really well. I switched to the GSI stainless steel kettle though, because its shape (wider and flatter) fit better in my pack. It seems to boil water faster as well and sits a little more stable. About the same price/weight as the Kettle 1. They have a halulite version as well that weighs only 5.9 ounces. Works great with esbit!

http://www.amazon.com/GSI-Outdoors-...TF8&qid=1363711072&sr=8-1&keywords=gsi+kettle

http://www.amazon.com/GSI-Outdoors-...TF8&qid=1363711072&sr=8-2&keywords=gsi+kettle

23. roweman07

roweman07 Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is going to be the set up I buy in the next couple days. Been contemplating the kettle one for a while now. Looks like some great kit.

24. ashman

ashman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Love my Kettle One, great little pot indeed

25. roweman07

roweman07 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Was really hoping to get more posts on this thread. I always like seeing as many ideas as I can.