Essential Oils

Discussion in 'Bush Medicine' started by Tatonka, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Tatonka

Tatonka Young Brave Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Hello, friends. My wife recently got into these essential oils. She's reading a ton and I ordered her a batch of different ones. She's mixed up some different "recipes" into these roller ball vials that you can roll on your skin. She also puts them in a defuser, which is just like a small vaporizer, and it mists out into the room. She's has them for headaches, joint pain, anxiety, focus, ect. Now, I'm a pretty skeptical guy, but I'm not too sure these things don't work. I had a headache and I rolled some of her oils on my forehead and it went away. I was feeling tired and I tried the one for energy and it took the edge off. I know aromatherapy has been around for thousands of years, but who knows if it's the oils or my brain just wanting it to be and acting accordingly. I guess I don't care if it results in a favorable outcome.

My question for all of you, beings these are suppose to be 100% all natural pure extract and we like natural things here; Has anyone had their own experience with Essential Oils? Do they work for you? I have to say I'm kind of sold. I keep four of my favorites in a leather pouch with loops in my pack. If you do use them, what are some of your favorites?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  2. dub

dub Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I've always thought that even if it's a placebo effect, the results are what matter. I've never used any essential oils myself. What are some of them called?

CivilizationDropout and Tatonka like this.
  3. tomme boy

tomme boy Scout

Blog Posts:
    My old lady has all kinds. The one tht works for me is called "On Guard" I have some wisdom teeth that need to come out and are tommorow. Well I had some pain two times in the last few weeks. If I use the OTC tooth pain stuff it actually irritates it even worse. I used the On Guard and it KILLED the pain right now.

I just put a drop on my finger and rubbed it on my gums a few times and it was gone. I am now going to put it in my carry bag for a just in case.

4. Tatonka

Blog Posts:
    CivilizationDropout likes this.
  5. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:
    They do help if used correctly. Aromatherapy (basically a vaporizer) is just one method of delivery.

Some that I like:

1. Oil of Oregano. This is hands down my favorite. It is like a medicine chest in a bottle. I've written about extensively. This is about the only one that I would carry with me (diluted) unless I was dealing with some specific problem.

2. Clove Oil. This is really good for things like toothaches. I keep it at the house, but I don't think that I would bring in the field because Oregano Oil works almost as good for a toothache. It is also anti-bacterial and anti-parasitic.

3. Lavender. Great for things like relaxing the muscles, stings, burns, etc.

4. Black Cumin Seed Oil. A great source of Omegas and a powerful cancer fighter. It is good to boost the immune system and is good for things like digestion, headache, etc.

5. Peppermint. Great for things like stomach problems, joint pain, asthma, etc. Spiders hate pepprmint.

I have quite a few others at home (Tea Tree, Lemon, etc.).

While not an essential oil, I would bring Magnesium Oil to your attention. It is very good for inflammation, muscle problems and it is one of the things that can really help in instances of heart attack. This is one that you should have in the house. I've also written a fair amount on this one if you do a search.

LJHfrstr, Doubles, Bannertail and 3 others like this.
  6. tomme boy

tomme boy Scout

Blog Posts:
    I tried the oregano oil, it has to be the nastiest thing in the world for taste!. Magnify the stuff you cook with X's 1000!

You have to dilute it. I swish it around in my mouth and pull it between my teeth. Make sure to spit it out after doing this.

Tatonka and Harper like this.
  7. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:

No argument on the taste! But then, I'm taaking it for its effects and not its flavor.

The stuff we cook with is usually a type grown in Mexico. The oil is made from Oregano grown in the Mediterranean. So it is kind of different.

I don't do oil pulling with it.

You can use it in different ways. Most often, I put the diluted oil under my tongue for a minute, take a little water and tilt my head back to gargle at the back of my throat and swallow. I then usually follow it up by a mouthful or two of water.

Doubles and Tatonka like this.
  8. cornbred

cornbred Scout

Blog Posts:
    my poor wife attempted to try several of these oils,,and i cant remember which,....lemon or one of the citric acids,,,one of the grand kids jostled her as she was doing the touch the finger to the bottle n taste? she got a small amount spilled on her breasts,,she quickly washed them off where the oil was splashed.......it was ugly guys, boils came up, n skin was blistered badly,,,took several weeks to heal n it stayed red like a sunburn for longer......so its a bad experience for herself......at her work,there are several women that swear by the stuff,one has a atomizer/air mister device that she keeps going all day at her desk......she misses more work for being sick with lung issues/colds/conjestion.....so thats the wifes experiences...asked her today...it was orange the blistered her

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017 at 5:53 PM
    Tatonka likes this.
  9. Bannertail

Bannertail Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Doing some research & recently found out about oregano oil.
    Made up a batch for applying to these old complaining joints.

Lavender is a big favorite, very calming. Would take a shower after work with Dr. Bronner's Lavender soap & some brand of Lavender shampoo.
    You have the shower/water & the lavender all working together to help unwind.

Will have to research the magnesium oil.
    My Doctor recommended I drink a magnesium-calcium product called Calm.
    Find that soaking feet or hands in Epsom salts, as needed, has the same effect as drinking the Calm.

Like to hear more experiences & recommendations.

NattyBo and Tatonka like this.
  10. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've been wanting to try lavender at night, as I normally don't sleep well. I might have to look into a vaporizer.

Tatonka likes this.
  11. mountainman11b

mountainman11b Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    My girlfriend does the oils as well, I call it her crazy witch hippie stuff to tease her. I never held much confidence in this stuff until I burnt my arm lighting the grill lol I burnt all hair completely off or my right arm, it felt like a really bad sun burn and she put a few drops of lavender oil on my arm and rubbed it in and it nearly eliminated the pain, I could still feel it slightly but it was no where near what it was originally. Since then we've started using it for just about any and everything you can think of. Now I can't tell you if they all work or have any effect on us but she will use them on me from time to time and it honestly seems like it.

I do think it's like everything else and you need to buy quality oils to get results.

Cheap things are cheap for a reason, besides moras lol

Tatonka likes this.
  12. WY_Not

WY_Not Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wife does these as well. Diffuser, roller bottles, inhalers, muscle rubs, etc.

Been using a blend (would have to check with her) in the diffuser for the last week as we both try to kick the last vestiges of a chest cold that doesn't want to let go. Been making it MUCH easier to sleep. Don't get the mucus buildup in the throat and sinuses and are able to sleep without draining and coughing all night.

Few months back I got bit by one of of my knives while opening a package. Didn't even realize I was cut till she told me I was bleeding. Washed it out, blotted it dry, she put one of her blends on it, and put a bandaid over it. Week later was healed, no infection or irritation, little if any scar.

I may raz her about the "crazy witch hippie stuff" as @mountainman11b says but I'm definitely starting to come around and appreciate the stuff. Just don't tell her I said that. ;)

mountainman11b, LJHfrstr and Tatonka like this.
  13. LJHfrstr

LJHfrstr Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yep, I'm in the same boat where my wife got into them and their effectiveness convinced me. The instant I got fully on board was when I was clearly coming down with a cold and she made me a "Flu Bomb" (On Guard, Oregano, Melaluca, Lemon) and it kicked the cold before it took hold.

Bonus is the left over bottles. I use them for a lot of miscellaneous things, including my spice kit!
    P1070409.JPG

Tatonka likes this.
  14. Tatonka

Blog Posts:
    Since there's a few guys on here that seem to be into this as well, I thought I'd share what I carry with me. My wife made me a few rollers to help me throughout the day because she knows I need all the help I can get. She asked me what I wanted and, based on my recommendations, made me four of her concoctions. One is for aches and pains which works great. There's one for anxiety that also works good. Then I have two that kind of go together and they're for energy and focus, focus being what I need help with the most. I've not been to a Dr., but I'm pretty sure I have attention problems. At least that's what I tell my wife when I don't hear her and she gets mad because she has to repeat herself.

ANYWHO! I needed something to put these "medicines" in so I went to the land of handmade goodies, and bought a leather case on Etsy. Now, I've never been on there because I always thought it was for girls, but as I learned with Pintrest as well, there's lot's of stuff for guys too. I bought this pouch from the SpotlessLion store and am very happy with it. If anyone is interested in what Dr Quinn put in these things I can find out and put it on here.
    1.jpg

2.jpg .jpg

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017 at 4:01 PM
    Bannertail and Harper like this.
  15. hicountry

hicountry Blue Granite Bushcraft Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    On Guard and P73 Super Strength Oregano Oil are my two fav's.
    Some purists don't like mixtures, but On Guard works for me.
    For allergy season (right now) I put stuff in the cold mist vaporizer.

I put essential oils in my IFAK when I go out.
    Much more effective than "over-the-counter" totally ineffective commercial remedies from mainline drugstores.

For anyone who thinks this is just a passing fad or snake oil, look again.
    It's the real deal.

Tatonka, Bannertail and Harper like this.
  16. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:
    With respect to the effectiveness of these oils, I would like to share with you the legend of "Theive's Oil."

Back in the Middle Ages during the time in which the Black Death spread across the known world, there were many valuables both in the houses and on the bodies of the deceased. They were there for the taking--assuming that you didn't catch the plague and die yourself.

A group of thieves came up with a blend of oils and herbs which prevented them from becoming infected. Apparently it worked. They were very successful in their larcenous pursuits. Eventually, four of the Thieves were caught and brought before the King. He gave them a choice: tell him what they did to prevent being infected or be executed. The Thieves told the King about their Oil.

There are different versions of this legend, but those are the essential elements.

Similarly, there are also a number of different recipes for Thieves' Oil. They are essentially mixtures of oils and other botanicals with antiseptic, antibacterial, and antimicrobial properties.

The modern version consists of a mixture of:

1. Clove Oil.

2. Cinnamon Oil.

3. Eucalyptus Oil.

4. Lemon Oil.

5. Rosemary Oil.

As an aside, those bird looking masks that you see doctors wearing in the illustrations of the middle ages were a form of early gas mask. The beak portion was stuffed with various herbs to help protect the wearer.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017 at 11:15 PM
    Tatonka and Bannertail like this.
  17. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:

I, personally, would definitley use Oregano Oil in this instance. It is great for problems like that.

I would also use the Neti Pot before bed and upon rising.
    http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/i-never-though-id-try-this-but-it-works.193373/#post-3295302

I would also avoid dairy until the problem is gone.

If necessary, consider Mucinex.

Tatonka likes this.
  18. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:
    Peppermmint is very good for when you have a cough over an extended period of time and the mucles around your chest and ribs ache.

Tatonka likes this.
  19. NCLivingBrit

NCLivingBrit Guide

Blog Posts:
    Let me guess, it smells strongly of cloves?

Tatonka likes this.
  20. Bannertail

Bannertail Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Some bats got into our cabin. Maybe I'm just a little paranoid, but I was concerned with the possibility of the bats carrying some disease or something.

Wife & I scrubbed down the interior with clorox, &c. then simmered a container of water with Thieve's oil in it. Figuring the Thieve's oil would get into every nook & craney.

Don't know how much it helped, but it sure didn't hurt, and there was that peace of mind...

Suppose you could say essential oils are a form of Homeopathic medicines. The results of using Arnica & Hypercium has been nothing short of amazing.

Harper and Tatonka like this.
  21. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Scout

Blog Posts:
    I am pretty skeptical of many of the claims made by those selling the oils. That isn't to say that I doubt some have medicinal properties.
    A relative convinced me to wear tea tree oil on my shoulder to guard against ticks. I ended up with a tick on that shoulder a few hours later. :)
    On the other hand, my wife found that a specific oil, when applied to her wrist, seems to decrease the amount she sweats. How does that work? I have no idea.
    I like adding essential oil to coconut oil to make beard oil. (Credit to The Art of Manliness for this idea.)

Tatonka likes this.
  22. hicountry

hicountry Blue Granite Bushcraft Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Not that I'm a thief or anything but Thieves oil is what piqued my curiosity at first.
    Cinnamon oil.
    Cinnamon has been used for centuries to purify water.
    Taken internally it purifies the blood.
    A lot of what ails people includes something toxic that got into the blood.
    On Guard like Thieves oil or other blends use Cinnamon as the base.
    Most better quality water filters, (Berkey, Katadyn, MSR) use a ceramic element which is a synthetic imitation of cinnamon.

Bannertail, Harper and Gunnarsson like this.
  23. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threa...-multiple-purposes.145545/page-3#post-2750787

Bannertail likes this.
  24. Tebatoz

Tebatoz Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Long and short is this is subjective. If tested for actual physicological effect there is none. But if it is something that is not affected by a subjective response, and pain to a poing is subjective, it is well..........

cheers

25. nograveconcern

nograveconcern Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts: