Fat Bikes

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Riverpirate, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So lets assume you have the money to buy any fat bike you wanted...
    what would be the bike?

Gruxxx and DavidJAFO like this.
  2. Togus

Togus Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What's a fat bike?

ewtoutdoors and captbrian like this.
  3. Riverpirate

Blog Posts:
    A trail bike with big fat tires...

4. Togus

Blog Posts:
    Oh fat bike.

IMG_1835.PNG

Rogerkoz likes this.
  5. Togus

Blog Posts:
    I like it. Looks like they could be comfortable if the set up was right. Attach a tow behind trailer and do some biking/camping.

Rogerkoz likes this.
  6. Gii shi kan dug

Gii shi kan dug Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Surley!

Kinda sounds like Turley.

7. JustinB60

JustinB60 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My wife and I have a pair of Framed Minnesota 2.0's.... Like them and they are a good value since much cheaper than other brands.

image.jpeg

We live on dirt roads that have some pretty loose gravel in spots and these are a good fit for a country road cruiser! We also live close to some good mountain bike trails so I've taken mine out there and the bike does really well. Only note on these is you need to read up on how to set tire pressure and get yourself a good tire pump with resolution into single digit pressures! Pressure is everything with these since that is essentially your only "suspension" and it changes how bike will grip on different surfaces.

doulos, Rogerkoz and SoreFeet like this.
  8. James of Arc

James of Arc Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I am going to get me a 3 wheel Schwinn bike and add fat tires to all three axles and then I am going to put an electric motor on the front wheel and a 2 stroke motor in the frame and connected to the back axles and it will be my bug out emergence vehicle.

9. Mikewood

Mikewood Guide

Blog Posts:
    When these came out the wife and I looked at them in Walmart and even pulled a few out of the rack and rode them for a moment down and around the isles. We found the tires rub on your legs when you turn them. Tried them again at a real bike store and same result so i ended up buying Electra Townie 21 speed. It's a great bike and you can get fattty-O tires for it. While not super balloon tires they work great in sand and don't rub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    James of Arc use a little google fu and you'll find some 3 wheeled fat bikes out there....might give yea some ideas or a place to spend your coin....

Fat Tire Trike | Fat Tire Trikes, Beach Cruisers, Power Mobility Trike

Had a single speed fat tire bike, I liked it....but it weighed close to 50lbs....sold it and got a 3 speed with 3 inch tires.....still about 40lbs...I have not used it on rough trails or the snow....it's more of a cruiser style

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    James of Arc and davidchagrin like this.
  11. Gruxxx

Gruxxx Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've had a fat tire bike on my distant wish list for a while. We mountain bike as a family on rails to trails and I use a bike to get back into wilderness areas, but so far I haven't considered myself enough of a "biker" to justify the outlay on a fat tire bike. They sure would be the ticket for the that sort of thing! Maybe when one of our regular mountain bikes bite the dust... ;)

12. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Scout

Blog Posts:
    Is that a Gravity from Bikes Direct?

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

13. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

Yes a Gravity Snake Eyes. One sits pretty high up when riding and the frame is about the max for my short legs but so far I'm liking it. Don't know what happened with photo as it was upright on my desktop??

davidchagrin likes this.
  14. svh

svh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    About the same price range ! :eek: I'd rather have the Turley !

Gii shi kan dug likes this.
  15. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm considering one for the Spring. How's the ride? Does it shift smoothly? Are the 3 speeds enough? Handle curbs well?

16. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The ride is fine. I'm not a huge bike guy so I'm sure I lack in finer details about ride, fit, shifting. I've road on city streets and paved trails so far, maybe some class five trails. I have not done all day riding on it yet, or high mileage rides with it. The seat has springs so that was new for me took a little getting used to. My old bike is a 12 speed cross style bike one of the early ones from the late 1980's, it's an old beater, I had it worked over a couple of summers ago still a beater, the snake eye is a better ride. The 3 speeds is just enough. It is slower than a more heavily geared bikes but that's ok, better than single speed. A lot of folks most likely would want more, but I wanted simple and the coaster breaks are easy too. Some grass and curb jumping has been no problem with the big tires. If I was in a more hilly/mountainous environment I would have likely gone with something a little different, don't know if I would go full blown fat tire bike but sometimes I think about it. Had a little trouble with the rack, I think its a Blackburn?? Ended up putting it on backwards, but it fits a milk crate and hey yea gotta have one of those for your cruiser to carry your growlers or bush kit or whatever:)

davidchagrin likes this.
  17. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the info

18. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I had the hots for a fat bike for some time. I dreamed of bashing through the woods, plowing through the snow, but then I got realistic. I live three miles from a re purposed railway bed that is now 200+ miles of bike trails. As an old railbed, there's never more than 3 degrees incline, so I didn't need lots of advanced mountain bike fancy suspension. It's all dry chat, so I didn't need soft tires.

But? I'm old. I won't be doing radical single-track, nor hillclimbs. So, I got a 12-year old aluminum Trek hardtail for $90. I put a better seat on it, and eventually V tires, for lesser contact patch/easier pedaling. I don't need knobbies. I put a good rack on it, a friend gave me some 1970's bags for it, I'm good.

[​IMG]

I work at a job that at times is moderately stressful. It can be very healing for me to be able to just putt along slowly by the river on the nice trail. Sometimes the sky cheers me up. There's rain out there to the west, but I'm riding east. I know I'll make it home first.

[​IMG]

19. bowitis

bowitis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    s-l1600.jpg
    Salsa is hard to beat.

20. Riverpirate

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    Rogerkoz likes this.
  21. RickS

RickS Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    We don't have much sand here, so I went middle ground. I added on the biggest tires I could without big fork changes. I think for the ozarks this size will work great. I love the studly look of the huge tires, but not sure I have the extra juice to push that big a tire.

Attached Files:

Ahnkochee, Rogerkoz and davidchagrin like this.
  22. ra2bach

ra2bach Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    what's the purpose of the fat tires? seems like it would be monstrously hard to pedal, with all that unsprung weight...

23. soledad

soledad Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The wide tires allow the rider to go across snow/frozen groud and sand with ease. They are seriously fun to ride. I have an older Surly Pugsley. This time of the year in Minnesota is a lovely time to be out on a fat bike.

24. Echefanthony

Echefanthony Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I used to buy Specialized and only them. I then bought a Cannondale which was around $8k. I moved down to Florida and after moving and needing a new bike shop I found Fuji bikes to of good quality. I also bought some from an online place, I found a bike they have that you might like.
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/fat-bikes/fat-bikes-bullseye-monster.htm
    After all the bikes I've bought and owned I think either Fuji or bikesdirect for me from now own. So I would definitely suggest them to others, and have including family.

Rogerkoz and davidchagrin like this.
  25. Todd1hd

Todd1hd Tracker

Blog Posts:
    In answer to your actual question, Surley and Salsa are two of the pioneers of fat bikes and their fat bike frames are geometricaly correct for the tires. TREK makes an excellent fat bike but is much newer to the market than the first two guys. More important is whether you are looking for single speed, single, double, or triple chain ring, and then suspension or not. Each feature adds to the cost and depending on your use may be unnecessary. That being said if you have the money any one of the three aforementioned bikes are excellent choices. And Walmart and Bikesdirect both sell fat bikes that are functional and fun but not of the quality of the other bikes which will relate to longevity if you are a serious rider. But to bum around on the cheaper the better although a cheaper bike will be heavier and lesser quality components. One man's opinion FWIW.

SuperKramp and GeoKrpan like this.
  26. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Almost went with a Felt Float....3spd fat tire cruiser.....but the bikesdirect was cheaper......

27. Riverpirate

Blog Posts:
    Well I changed my mind on the fat bike. Got a new 29r Trek Xcaliber 8.

RickS likes this.
  28. ra2bach

ra2bach Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    ok thanks. seems like I'm seeing a lot of these bikes in places that have nothing to do with what you said though...

29. feellnfroggy

feellnfroggy Guide

Blog Posts:
    thatlookslike my next hunting bike. Do you have a link or details?

bowitis likes this.
  30. bowitis

bowitis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Salsa Cycles

My bike is the Blackborow, but the Mukluk is a great bike also. I've hunted with my Mukluk a lot and loved it. You really cant go wrong with any of the major players and you can get some smoking deals if you don't mind buying used.

SuperKramp and Rogerkoz like this.
  31. Greebe

Greebe Guide

Blog Posts:
    I would want one of these fat tire bikes. :D

[​IMG]

32. Spinymouse

Spinymouse Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My Surly Pugsley on a bikepacking trip late summer of 2014.
    [​IMG]

And my Pugsley resting on a snowmobile bridge during a day trip a couple of months ago:
    [​IMG]

A Pugsley may inspire you to go places you might not otherwise go. Even if you have to push the bike "Hike-a-Bike" style: (Went about a mile in this dense vegetation. My legs got shredded by the thorns.)
    [​IMG]

And finally, a glamor shot on top of a dam:
    [​IMG]

33. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    My dream fat bike is this Pedigo Trail Tracker electric fat bike priced at $3695.00 BUT...
    [​IMG]

...I think I'd prefer to save up an extra $900.00 and get a Yamaha TW200 4 stroke gas powered fat bike (@ $4599.00)
    [​IMG]

Fat Old Man and mjh like this.
  34. feellnfroggy

feellnfroggy Guide

Blog Posts:
    I would like it in electric. Or an electric 4 wheeler. Much quieter offroad. And massive amounts of torque.

35. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I just discovered Phantom Bikes.

Their Electric Fat Track looks pretty nice. Asking price of $1700.00 not totally unreasonable especially for a bike made in the USA
    Fat Track | Phantom Bikes
    [​IMG]

Their 4 stroke gasoline powered Ghost Classic looks pretty nice too. MSRP $2450.00
    Ghost Classic | Phantom Bikes
    [​IMG]

mjh likes this.
  36. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've been riding, buying, maintaining, and fixing bikes for 30 years, as an adult. I will only buy from Bikesdirect. The Motobecane brand is as good as any. Wamlart is not in the same league.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    sdjsdj likes this.
  37. SCB

SCB Scout

Blog Posts:
    I do not know much about bicycles, but I do know that if you buy one from my local Wal Mart you are setting yourself up for disappointment. The tools they use for their "free assembly" vice grips and a claw hammer.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    SuperKramp and GeoKrpan like this.
  38. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yep, you definitely don't want a Walmart bike.

sdjsdj likes this.
  39. sdjsdj

sdjsdj Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Can't beat the Motobecanes for the price and quality. Love my 29er with the extra 26 x 4 wheelset. Right now I have a 29 x 1.95 on the front and 38mm on the rear for around the city and bus hopping.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

40. Hans Hurlbutt

Hans Hurlbutt Tracker

Blog Posts:
    20170110_145246.jpg 20170110_145414.jpg Well, I went and bought a Gravity Monster and finally received it Monday. I have been watching these fat tire bikes since they came out, just now finally getting one, partly due to the info in this thread, so thanks guys for the the info about Bikes Direct.com. I have a few hours riding it now and am liking it more and more. I plan on getting a rack to mount on it to be able to safely carry a rifle for hunting. I have a cart that I am modifying to pull with it, old child carrier that kids all have out grown. I have the hitch ordered to hook up to bike. We have a lot of gated of logging roads around here that you can go past on foot, horse or non motorized vehicle and lots of hunting and fishing behind those gates. Kids are looking forward to me riding with them too. I have had it on the ice (frozen creek behind beaver dam) and am amazed how well it does. 20170110_145414.jpg

Rogerkoz, sdjsdj and mjh like this.
  41. nymtber

nymtber Scout

Blog Posts:

I've been thinking of getting a Gravity Bullseye Monster myself. $500 is a heck of a deal, and I seem to read they are around 35lbs, not bad for a very budget-friendly fatbike! Hiking/walking a local rail trail yesterday I saw fatbike tires tracks all over (hard to miss, they are 4" wide!) and I might just order one finally!

Any issues so far?

42. plumberoy

plumberoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have one of the single speed Gravity Deadeye monsters I use when there is snow on the bike paths and over rough stuff not many hills so a single speed works for me . it is geared low 32/22 but if I hit some where I can't pedal I walk it . It is also good with little kids gears lower enough you don't run off and leave them or if you are out to see the scenery

43. outbackwack

outbackwack Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Nice bikes! Don't take this personally, but lose the wheel reflectors... that says non-biker big time. Plus it throws the wheel balance off. Those who ride at night wear reflective clothing and/or lighting. Spoken from formal president, treasurer, clerk and membership coordinator of a 450 member recreation bike club (North Shore Cyclists) in MA. Be safe!

44. outbackwack

outbackwack Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Excellent! I love it!!!!

sdjsdj likes this.
  45. outbackwack

outbackwack Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'd love to get a fat-tire bike, but for now I'll stick with my old Kona with full SRAM XO and carbon... you can't beat lighter weight when climbing hills!

[​IMG]

46. nymtber

nymtber Scout

Blog Posts:

Looking closer at your pics...

Your shifters are upside down!!! And since it looks like the allen bolt on your brake levers is also at the top, I would guess your handlebar itself was flipped the wrong way. Rear shifter should be on right, front shifter on left. Same with brakes!

Shift levers are kept below bars on a mountain bike so if you crash, they don't get busted. Might consider fixing that :)

47. Hans Hurlbutt

Hans Hurlbutt Tracker

Blog Posts:
    :8:Well that makes sense! The thing comes in a box with tire off, handlebars not bolted bit hooked up to the brake cables and shifters, not having ridden in quit awhile, I didn't really pay attention to the details you noticed, but I have noticed it is kinda tricky to shift.The one thing could wish for being better with the purchase was a little bit of a instruction guide, came with a very general owners manual. As far the rest of the bike, I went through and snuggled up alot of loose bolts etc. When I got it and had to do some adjusting on brakes to get them to work well, maybe need readjusting after putting handlebar on right! But I like riding it, my butt is finally not hurting! Thanks for the heads up of my screw up!

48. Riverpirate

Blog Posts:
    Comments like this always amaze me.....ride your bike however you want to ride it. If you like the reflectors then leave them alone. They may throw off the balance but I bet half the people who ride could never tell if the wheels were out of balance. Most of us don't go fast enough to notice. Oh BTW you can also get some of those goofy thin bike shirts with names on them to pretend you are some professional rider if you want to "look the part". But most of us aren't. Yes I am a non-biker although I own and have owned bikes since I was a kid. I ride what I want to how I want to. Call me FRED if you don't know me.

Chili, J.V. Morton and Spinymouse like this.
  49. MT_Fin

MT_Fin Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Right?

They better lose them quick, wouldn't want them to not fit in with the cool kids. Heaven forbid they ride a bike just to ride a bike instead of worrying about how their bike affects their acceptance by the self appointed trend setters.

Come to think of it, my sons bike has reflectors, guess I'll have to throw it away as that makes him a non-biker and he obviously has no use for it now.

Silly me, I would have thought riding a bike out of enjoyment made you a biker....... :rolleyes:

Chili likes this.
  50. Gunut

Gunut Tracker

Blog Posts: