Favorite Memory While In The Bush.

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by OutdoorColorado, Mar 20, 2013.

1. OutdoorColorado

OutdoorColorado Tracker

Blog Posts:
    What is your guys favorite memory from the bush. I have so many that I cant even Choose. I want to see how many of you can actually pick one memory that is your favorite, and i like reading the stories.

2. ColoradoBowyer

ColoradoBowyer Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Me vs the wild

My favorite memory, is when I was hunting in the Rocky Mountain National park and hit this nice elk from 20 yards away with my recurve. As I was tracking him, he fell right next to a steep ridge, as I was trying to pull the arrow out of him, I slipt and fell down the ledge and pass out. I awoke next to Bear Grylls, who had rescued me from almost falling into a pit of ferocious Mammoths, he healed me with his legendary piss. After about 2 weeks frollicing in the outdoors of Colorado, we found civilization, but only to realize that the apocolypse had hit. True story.

3. OutdoorColorado

OutdoorColorado Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hahaha. Wow. Didn't see that coming.

4. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Sorry, man. I can't pick a favorite either. The worst time I ever had in the wild was wonderful.

5. OutdoorColorado

OutdoorColorado Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Ive tried and tried. For the life of me I cannot pick. And just like you, the worst time was still way better than sitting inside being bored.

6. 556mp

556mp Bushmaster Vendor Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I don't know about all of that :) but yeah I don't think that I can pick a "best"
    I can think of lots of great memories though!

7. pmo6

pmo6 Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    About 13 years ago me and my girlfriend at the time and I went up into the blueridge mountains to a waterfall my hiking buddy at the time and I had found a few months back. It was only about a 4 mile hike in. We setup camp, ate dinner and just talked and cuddled by the waterfall. After desert and over her favorite peppermint tea I asked her to marry me and she said yes. That's the simplified version anyway. I've got a lot of great memories in and of nature but that one tops them all.

8. crookedknife

crookedknife Guide

Blog Posts:
    the very favorite? We've been reminded several times that this is a family forum.

9. OutdoorColorado

OutdoorColorado Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Haha. Didn't mean it that way.

10. Daveboone

Daveboone Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Uh, you want to admit to frolicking with Bear Grylls? Too much information!

11. Brute1100

Brute1100 Scout

Blog Posts:
    The best day in the woods... The next trip will be the best...

Live, Laugh, Love. If that doesn't work, Load, Aim and Fire. (repeat as necessary)

12. Daveboone

Daveboone Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I am probably pushing the limits by describing this as "in the bush",....
    About 5 years ago a friend and I took our motorcycles up to the James Bay, Quebec. Hundreds of miles of sprawling wilderness, so wide open if you stopped you felt like you were spreading out into it. In the late afternoon I had a wolverine walk onto the road in front of me, stop and almost seem to want to stare me down. I stopped about a hundred feet away, it kept wandering across and disapeared. Since I was a little kid, I had always thought of the wolverine as the most definitive symbol of the far north, and to see one stunned me. That evening we watched the sun set very slowly behind the James Bay, and the northern lights danced overhead. In the morning, wolf tracks were in the road we came in on. Later that day I met a splendid Cree elder, and passed a pleasant afternoon talking about the changing times, his winter caribou hunts, and the Polar bears that follow the shore in the winter. He showed me the polar bear skull (FREAKIN HUGE) he found one spring. Not bushcrafting per say, but certainly in spirit, and I am planning the trip back so that I can spend more time in the woods., hopefully caribou hunt with my new found friend.

13. Redbearcat7

Redbearcat7 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I guess we all want to know. Does Bear Grylls have an orange handle?

14. PineMartyn

PineMartyn Scout

Blog Posts:
    Boy...that's a tough one. There have been so many that I could never pick just one.

One of my most memorable moments was the first time my wife and I spotted a bull moose grazing shoulder deep in a bay as we paddled by. We just stopped paddling and watched it in awe as it fed. He was utterly unconcerned as a breeze slowly brought us closer and closer to him until we were within one canoe length of him, at which point we held our position there for perhaps 15 minutes. It was hard to tear ourselves away from this enormous creature. We'd seen moose before but never for so long and at so close.

Another memorable animal sighting was the first time we spotted a large black bear on a canoe trip. There were lots of signs of very recent bear activity in and around where we'd made camp (including fresh scat) and so we knew the chances of a sighting were good. We'd just finished skinny-dipping and were enjoying 4PM happy hour under our tarp when I spotted some movement on the opposite shore of the narrow lake. There was a large black bear foraging for wild blueberries. It knew we were there, but was unconcerned by our presense on the opposite shore. It just went about it's business nibbling on the bushes, at times lying on it's belly, limbs sprawled out, chin almost on the ground as it kinda slid along the shore to eat berries from the tiny blueberry shrubs. After a few minutes it seemed disturbed by our noise and movement and it moved quickly along the shoreline and out of our sight around a point. Wanting a closer look, we grabbed the camera, hopped into the canoe, and paddled toward the point where we'd last seen it in the hopes that we'd get a good close view of it from our boat as we rounded the bend. It was no longer on the shore, but had moved to slightly higher ground and was staring back down at us. My wife managed to snap one grainy, over-exposed photo before it bolted into the bush. We would later see 2 other bears (5 sighting in all) in the days to come as we hiked and paddled through that lake system, but that first sighting will never be forgotten.

There are other fond memories:
    Paddling in the morning mist at dawn on a glass-smooth lake.
    Laughing hysterically with friends as we all struggled to hurriedly cook our meals under our tarp in a violent wind storm that threatened to send our stoves toppling at every moment.
    Catching our first bass while on a canoe trip.
    Making love on the rocky shore of our camp under the warm summer sun.
    Sipping single malt Scotch around a campfire under a tarp while rain poured all around us and lightning lit up the dark, blue-grey sky.
    Discovering a sweet, secret camping spot along a narrow ribbon of river and going in for a quick skinny-dip in the freezing waters of early May. Serious shrinkage.
    Taking a break from a very hot and sweaty portage to shower in a small waterfall.
    That oh-so-refreshing first swim after a long, hot day of paddling and making camp.

A couple of years ago I put together a photo montage of some of our most enjoyable and unforgettable moments on canoe trips.
    [video=youtube_share;U3Y8u5-Aywc]http://youtu.be/U3Y8u5-Aywc[/video]

Hope this helps,
    - Martin

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  15. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Time Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Last year I was camping at the mouth of a remote canyon in a grove of Aspen trees.

I had my hammock strung up about 20 yards from my campfire. During the night I watched a pack of about 8 coyotes scrounge through my campsite looking for food, etc.

They never caught my scent and stayed there for about 45 minutes just sniffing, playing and procreating. (wow, that rhymes!)

16. diannamarsolek

diannamarsolek Tracker

Blog Posts:
    siting at my husbands feet

cooking dinner on a camp fire in utah . in the desert with the sand stone hills
    not what you think he was rubbing my neck it was sore from driving .
    and you would be amazed at ware you can get sand we will not go there but you get the idea

17. diannamarsolek

diannamarsolek Tracker

Blog Posts:
    also

waking up out side yosemite national park and watching the sun come up over the lake and and the mountian just behind it reflickted in the water it was out side the park we could not stay in the park had to mini guns with us

18. x39

x39 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    In recent memory, both with my now ex-GF. Standing under an ink black and star shot summer night sky watching what had to have been thousands of fireflies. Truly an amazing sight. Hiking on the windward shore of a Maine island in the teeth of a howling November nor'easter, the sleet being driven horizontally, and sheltering behind a rock for a picnic lunch of moose meat, raw carrots, and tea.

19. gdpolk

gdpolk Guide

Blog Posts:
    My first camp through a storm.

My best friend and I got caught in a storm while backpacking. 30mph winds with bigger gusts, rain/sleet/snow mixed together, lightening, thunder, trees getting blown over, the works. Both of our tents survived unscathed, we were dry and warm the whole time, we got lucky but it was an amazing experience. Ever since then I've actually enjoyed camping in the rain as long as it isn't super nasty and going to put me at risk.

20. forgeblast

forgeblast Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was snowshoeing and saw a distrubance in the path. It looked like a leaf sticking out when everything else was pristine. I bent down to look at it and POW a ruffled grouse burst from the ground flew at my face and went into the woods. It was an eye opener.

When I graduated college I went back to the boy scout camp I attended to work summers. One day a humming bird flew past me into our lodge and hit the window. It was trapped behind the window. I rushed in and was able to free it. It weighed nothing and I was worried it might have broken a wing. I opened my hands it flew out hit the tree line and then came right back hovered in front of my face and then went back on its way.
    Last one, At the same camp I was walking around the lake at dusk and I could hear the voices of the scouts bouncing off the lake and it was as if I was taken back to my first time there. I felt at peace, and knew that I made the right choice to work there.
    The woods and forest do that for me though, I feel right when I am in there. I hate big cities, but a big forest Im all in.

21. x39

x39 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Very nice, you're livin' right brother!

22. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Scout

Blog Posts:
    My favorite? The last one I've had. This was just this morning: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363911984.056018.jpg
    Turnagain Arm from bird ridge, about 30-40 miles from Anchorage (and about 2000 feet up!)

23. Sides

Sides Guide

Blog Posts:
    Every trip I had to The Boundary Waters.

24. wisconsinwalter

wisconsinwalter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Has to be a gathering we had a few years ago. There was this baby squirrel that ran up snipen and Hammock Hangers arms, perched on there shoulders. It just kept running up and around each of them

Then the thing jumped in the fire pit did a few circles and then stopped and stared at us like we were the crazy ones. There is a pic somewhere in the WI room in the pit

25. OutdoorColorado

OutdoorColorado Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks guys. Feel free to keep them comming!!

26. Further

Further Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    So many come to mind, but last summer my 20 year old daughter started ASKING to come along on my camping trips. She had went a lot as a kid, but the teen age years she always found "better" things to do. She is even interested in going on a trip to the Boundary Waters with me. I can't think of a better place to spend some quality time together.

27. Shnick

Shnick Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    When a man named Richard yelled "Bring out your dead!"
    LOL
    Honestly, I havent had a bad memory yet...

28. The Stumpy One

The Stumpy One Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I deliberately spent a day thinking about this before posting, and I have decided that I don't think that of all the memories I have there is a single favourite one yet (which is good as I have lots of room for more experiences and great memories).

Be that as it may, my first canoe trip in northern Algonquin with my dad when i was I think 9 years old was a defining experience. I can remember pulling up on shore while dad made tea for us, and having a whiskyjack land and perch on the tips of my fingers. Without any fear or concern he perched there and took raisins from my palm one at a time and eat them. When he was finished he repaid me with some song before flying off. It was the first time I realised that there are wild animals that have no fear of man, and have just as much right to be here as we do. It was a very good lesson for a boy to learn, and if I try really hard sometimes I can still hear the song he left me with by way of saying thanks for the snack.

29. cellis

cellis Post less. Do more. Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    If I had to pick one only it would probably be this moment.

[video=youtube;Mfr22j9j8nk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfr22j9j8nk[/video]

30. Mudman

Mudman Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Nothing specific for me, but being able to do things for myself the way I pictured it has been a spiritual thing for me.
    too many good memories. :4:

31. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Well, the good thing about this thread is that it has prompted me to think back on a few good memories. None of them stands out as a singular favorite - but they were all superb....

Winter camping at the BRC, above Yosemite valley....fishing Norton lake, at the foot of the Sawtooths.....my first week-long solo elk hunt....another week of elk and deer hunting in "The Frank" (with the highlight of walking into a herd of bighorn sheep)....a camp with friends at about 9500' on the edge of the Boulder/Whiteclouds, where ours was the only tent that withstood the storm, and my then-girlfriend and I announced to the refugees gathered in our tent that we had agreed to marry....in that same canvas tent years later at Trapper Flat - a mouse running circles around the inside of the tent, while my wife screamed and my kids laughed....packing an elk quarter out up Willow Creek in a blizzard in the dark - no flashlight and I couldn't see a thing, but my feet could feel the difference between the soft snow-covered ground and the hard-packed trail that I had memorized......my first encounter with fresh wolf tracks in the snow.....watching the osprey catching fish on a backpacking trip with my son at 20-Mile Lakes, and then bugging out ahead of a lightning-caused forest fire....sitting in camp in the Sawtooth Wilderness and drinking my coffee, while watching the wolf across the river slowly working his way upriver while occasionally stopping to call to his mates....another morning a year later at the same river, watching a cloud form above the western ridge, in the shape of a giant manta ray - and then dissolve into the blue sky....paddling alone under moonlight....

This could go on a long time...

32. dustycanuck

dustycanuck Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I was not exactly 'in the bush', but rather on the path to a walk-in campsite at Bon Echo Provincial Park in Ontario. As my wife and I were lugging our kit in one late afternoon, we saw a Great Horned Owl sitting in a branch about 100 feet away and 20-30 feet up from us, calmly preening itself.
    I quietly off-loaded my share of the gear, and then lay on my back, watching the big owl through a pair of field glasses.
    I must have lain there for 10-15 minutes, watching this owl's back, when it stood up on the branch and turned around and damned if it didn't look as if it was looking right at me. I put down the glasses as it launched off the branch, and swooped down and off towards my left, heading off, I guess, to rustle up some dinner.

At this same campsite, the Hardwood Hills area of Bon Echo, for anyone familiar with it, I heard a snapping and a crackling as I sat on a picnic table, making breakfast for my sleeping wife. I turned around, and there was a deer about 40 feet behind me, munching on some shoots or something, calmly watching me. I tried whispering to my wife, but she couldn't hear me over the stove, and I didn't want to spook the deer.

Damn, and there was another time, same campsite, but I don't remember which trip - we were sitting by the campfire, and there was a small commotion in the underbrush. A chipmunk came racing into the site, and almost into the fire, before turning hard and disappearing under our tent. I had never heard of a 'black-footed ferret', but that's what was chasing the chipmunk. we got a good long look as it, too, scampered to the edge of the fire, before realizing where it was, and darting off into the underbrush.

Oh yeah, and then there was the time the bear peed outside our tent in the middle of the night...same campsite...co-incidentally, we haven't been back since, lol

33. OutdoorColorado

OutdoorColorado Tracker

Blog Posts:

34. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:

35. x39

x39 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That brought back memories of an early seventies pack trip in Montana, staying in a wall tent with hay as the floor and a woodstove, in the company of laid back guys and pleasant girls. Could have been worse!

36. Timber Rider

Timber Rider Tracker

Blog Posts:
    everytime I wake up in the outdoors is a pleasent memorey. No place I'd rather be.

37. robsdak

robsdak Scout

Blog Posts:
    there are several that come to mind, but the 1 that stands out. i was out squirrel hunting, i sat down at the base of a big OAK tree and fell asleep. as i woke up, there were 6 Turkeys not 10yds from me and a squirrel sitting on the toe of my boot looking at me. such a calm and quiet moment in time.

38. PineMartyn

PineMartyn Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks x39. I'm very fortunate to live in this part of Canada where there's so much wilderness to enjoy and I'm doubly blessed to have a wife who loves the outdoors as much as I do.
    - Martin

39. true north

true north Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Amen to that - the Boundary Waters/Quetico wilderness is beyond beautiful. There are no words to describe it. If you haven't been there yet, go see for yourself.