Favorite Mora for Backpacking?

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by DirtNap, Mar 19, 2013.

1. DirtNap

DirtNap Scout

Blog Posts:
    In my continuing quest to reduce the weight on my aging knees and back, I'm considering the purchase of a Mora as a light fixie. I've actually been selling-off my big blades and heard good things and was hoping for a recommendation. Tasks will include food prep, light fire prep, and emergency hippy deanimation :)

Is the old axiom "Mora is betta" really true?

Thanks for your time,

DNap

2. redmech

redmech Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    For what it is worth the Mora 511 weighs 2.6 ounces not counting the sheath. The #1 might be lighter, both have comfortable handles and would be fine backpacking blades.

3. GrandLarsony

GrandLarsony Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't think any Mora blade woud be disqualified immediately due to weight.

For your use (as I understand it) any would be fine. Probably about the best tool per ounce... in my opinion, that is.

I particularly like the original bushcraft with that funky blade and truly wonderful handle (shown below), but if you're really worried about ounces, the 2/0 is great too (I use mine as a necker).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  4. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    what they said ...

5. Dutchman

Dutchman SDO Proud. Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    You really can't go wrong with any Mora, if you're concerned with weight. Even the heaviest one I've handled, the Bushcraft Black, doesn't weigh that much. As a matter of fact, if you're looking for a Mora to fit the "only one blade" scenario, the Bushcraft Black is an excellent choice. It's sturdy and robust and can certainly handle anything you can throw at it. Good luck and have fun on your search, and once you make your decision, come join us in the Mora Tribe! Cheers!

WINK

6. wizard

wizard Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I normally carry a Mora 510 in my pack, daypack and larger backpack. If I really plan on doing a lot of knife work I take something heavier. You can make a 510 by filing off some of the guard on a 511. Really too bad that they don't make the 510 anymore, it was one of the most useful Moras in my experience.

7. GMScooter

GMScooter Guide

Blog Posts:
    My favorite Mora is typically which ever one is in my hand at any given time. Heck even my Robust feels light.

8. Lucky44

Lucky44 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    #746-G - It has a great 4" stainless blade and the handle fits my hand perfectly. I love it!

9. dryheat

dryheat Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I would choose a regular companion. Or the 511 if you really want lighter. I like the deeper blade and belt clip of the companion though.

10. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    +1....Bushcraft Black

11. FeedTheFire

FeedTheFire Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    The 711 is my goto because that grip is perfect and secure. Rubber is beautiful when small cuts are a big deal at 14000 or 40 miles to a road. Strikes a fire steel as good as any. Two sided med/fine 1-1/2" X 3" diamond stone keeps it honed for thru hikes. Ranger band them together and put them in the pack.

12. Hugin

Hugin Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like the Mora Robust; It's a more robust version of the Mora Clipper. Though I haven't tried the Mora Bushcraft series yet.

13. Colin

Colin Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like the classic #2. :)

14. Eagle Scout

Eagle Scout Scout

Blog Posts:
    Mora Companion MG stainless. Knife is 2.97 ounces and the sheath 1.18. The "new" belt clip is really well done. It can be connected to webbing and even hung from a button. I also have the Robust and will say that the stainless blade does not have the same "bite" as the high carbon. But still, it slices great. The handle of this knife has more "grip" than my other Mora especially with wet/cold hands. Sheath retention is solid. Great all-around lightweight fixed blade.

15. Hoarfrost

Hoarfrost Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'm really happy with my Fire Knife. Food prep, fire prep, fire lighting all in one. :)

Attached Files:

16. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have one of the upscale Mora knives- the 311- that has brass pommel and throat, rosewood handle, and a real leather sheath. :) It was about $70 last time Ragnar had them listed. I like the feel of it- handle is a bit flatter and more easily indexed by feel.

Otherwise, a classic #2 is about the same in terms of size and blade, and does just as good a job for a lot less money. :)

17. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Old Guy too

As I get older I'm starting to shave weight where I can too. I have a half dozen Mora's that I take turns with. All of them have their points and the nice thing is that they're cheap enough that you can try a few and decide which one you want to take to the bush or leave in the car or put in the tackle box. It's a luxury to be able to pick from among a collection of knives and choose your favorite.

I keep trending toward the Companion but I like the Light-My-Fire, the No 1 and the little Scout too. On one of our outings I passed out knives to everyone so they could use them for a couple of days. Next time I'll give a different one to each person. They're cheap enough to do that with and quality enough to hold up to the kind of varied use that several different people will give them.

18. mlm2588

mlm2588 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    from my personal experience, I own these and still carry them often as a second blade and find myself reaching for these more than my belt knife, they are great beaters

the mora classics, I keep mine razor sharp, great for wood carving, fileted fish, skinned animals with ease, not really a batoning blade though. I've broke two doing this with it

then mora companion, this is a great knife and can take quite a bit of abuse its a good secondary knife to a full tang knife, does have its breaking points

lastly, mora bushcraft black, have not had this for that long but it is the best quality mora you can buy being it has a good size tang. have used it in the winter time for batoning 1-2 inch diameter wood for kindling, cross batoned with it... in terms of basic bushcrafting tasks which is all I put my knives through so far I feel I've beat the crap out of this thing and its still good, although I feel its not as sharp as my other two

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  19. Roamer

Roamer Guide

Blog Posts:
    Might be worth considering the Mora #2/0. I recently got one and it's a nice little knife. Small, but one of the few full-tang models they still sell, and very light (1.8 oz according to link above)

20. DirtNap

DirtNap Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks guys. Think I'll start with a companion and a 2/0 and go from there.

21. Axe

Axe Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Im in love with my new mora bushcraft survival knife. Great knife, fire starter, and sharpener all in one package. Cant beat it. Cant wait to take it camping canoeing and fishing.

22. Mudman

Mudman Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I love my Moras. The one that usually comes with me most if the Robust. However lately I've been camping tool heavy, so the Robust has been set aside for a Mora 2/0 for light duty tasks.

23. tknife

tknife Scout

Blog Posts:
    A couple years back I really fell in love with Mora's and always have one in my pack. For backpacking (even though I am no ounce counter) I have used the 510, Clipper and classic #2. they are all really light and slim, and are plenty tough. I also have the Robust and recently got the Bushcraft Black. they are thicker but only weigh slightly more than the others, but I haven't used either for more than a day hike yet. But in my opinion, Mora's are truly underrated backpacking knives. Most backpacking websites recommend folders that weigh the same if not more, which is weird.

24. Rubicon_Dave

Rubicon_Dave Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've been real happy with the "Bushcraft TriFlex". The spine is slightly thicker than the standard offerings for durability (.098" vs. .080") and I like the rubber over-molded handle for grip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  25. NuclearMeltdown

NuclearMeltdown Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Don't focus all on the blade and overlook the handle. I've found that the overmolded rubber handles are my favorite for feel, but some of the ones with hard plastic handles are extremely uncomfortable to me. Hold them in your hand for a while first if you can find them in a store! I was able to hold one of about every handle style when I was in Sweden for college a few years ago. They (along with the axes so coveted here) were in every hardware store.

I came back with a pile of Moras and a Wetterlings axe in my checked baggage. I gave some of the Moras away as gifts. I also got a pile of these Lindbloms knives over there for around $1.70 each:

5101.jpg

Never saw these for sale in the US. Handle feels good though. Sharpens up real nice too.

26. genzer

genzer Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Companion in carbon, squared the top spline for better firesteel use, works great. You can't beat Mora's for the $ gonna pick up a few more, can't have just one they get lonely

27. DomC

DomC Retired Old Scrub Stomper Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Mora Robust

I carry a Mora Robust in my backpack.

DomC :) ;)

28. kikstand

kikstand Scout

Blog Posts:
    X2

-Dave
    Creatures of Habit, Tallahassee FL.

29. Mountain Longhunters

Mountain Longhunters Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I like my Mora 2/0 and will definitely get a #1 or 2 at some point. The 2/0 makes a nice neck knife.

30. Birch

Birch Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm pretty into ultralight myself, or at least looking to get better at it. I've found that sacrificing a bit in the way of a solid knife allows one to skimp in other areas (providing of course that they are in an area that they can utilize natural resources without harming the environment excessively). I carry my trusty fixed blade of choice for that reason on all trips I go on, save maybe some day hikes and such that I'll just pack a tiny bark river blade or a folder. My choice is a modified Turley Gasconade, so certainly not a chopper by any means, but you see my point. Works for me, so I thought I'd share! That being said, maybe a mora is just as reliable for you. I've never used one... blasphemy I know.

31. DirtNap

DirtNap Scout

Blog Posts:
    I didnt ask for general recommendations, I'm looking for opinions specific to moras for backpacking. Drag that anchor to some other thread :)

32. justin_baker

justin_baker Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    The wooden handled ones are the lightest, but the plastic handled ones are more comfortable.
    Either way you can't go wrong.

33. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    My favorite Mora is my only Mora my 612 which I stripped the paint off the handle then soaked in deck oil, and also cold blued the blade.

[​IMG]

34. hglass

hglass Scout

Blog Posts:
    carbon companion

35. Paul Foreman

Blog Posts:
    for lightweight efficiency, a scout/sport with the guards cut off. VERY lightweight but sturdy and sharp ...

36. Jeffrich

Jeffrich Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I haven't met a Mora that I didn't like yet! For the price and durability, they can't be beat.

37. coldwaterboys

coldwaterboys Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Robust because it has enough heft to do batoning if needed.

38. Paul Foreman

Blog Posts:
    i ain't backpacking today, but i am wearing a no. 1 classic in a paracord neck rig. it is a bit heavier than my modded scout/sport ...

39. joshkelekovich

joshkelekovich Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have only had experience with one mora knife, and that is the mora clipper. But that knife has been through everything with me, even a 3 day survival scenario I did with some friends for a school project. Barely ever notice it on my belt, and you can hardly notice it when around your neck. For 13 dollars, it can't be beat.

40. coldwaterboys

coldwaterboys Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Robust for sure, then the 511

41. Bodie

Bodie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I carry a classic #2 mora, and am looking to test out the Mora Bushcraft Black:15:

42. dhunley1

dhunley1 Scout

Blog Posts:
    The Bushcraft Force has recently become my favorite Mora. Before that, the Companion was my favorite, but the Bushcraft handle just melts in my hand! I also have a Bushcraft Black and Robust, but I like the thinner blades of the Bushcraft Force and Companion more.

43. woodsmith

woodsmith Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm thinking about carrying a 511 - cheap, reliable, and light. I keep one in my truck as part of a "crap now I have to walk home" kit.

44. Woro90

Woro90 Scout

Blog Posts:
    The 511 is great. I modified the handle on mine to resemble a 510 (I hated the hook, especially in the kitchen) and made a leather sheath for it, it's my main bushcraft knife. If I lose it, buying another one wouldn't leave me starving throughout the next month. For a long time I was thinking about buying the 2000 (I prefer wider blades, especially when it comes to spreading something on bread) but I got so used to the cheap 511 that it's still the last knife I have bought. It's so simple and unromantic that I absolutely fell in love with it.

45. Translash

Translash Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have 7 different moras and find the mora companion and the mora 711 to be the most comfortable ones for use. They are all good though. I usually use the mora as a secondary blade to one of my full tang bushcraft knives but they're worth more than their price...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

46. backlasher

backlasher Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I use the Bushcraft Black most of all. I carry it around my neck and, even though it's the heavyist of the Moras, it's hardly noticed. I've also got a stainless Companion in my pack.

47. clanmaki

clanmaki Guide

Blog Posts:
    Have to agree with you about the bushcraft black. It is my favorite Mora so far.

48. Rosh

Rosh Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Gotta love those moras. Sure I've got some bigger more expensive knives but a mora generally always comes along for the ride. They get the job done, they're razor sharp, and cheap( excuse me affordable) enough to buy a couple. Go for it!

49. ripcurlksm

ripcurlksm Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    question: will the knife be in your backpack or on your hip?

if its going to be on your hip the whole time, you wont feel the weight of most medium sized knives anyway. heck you can put a hatchet on your belt and not feel much weight. just something to consider and odds are there are heavier things in your pack you might want to replace first. You might debate over a few ounces between two knives, but your tarp, sleeping bag, etc. might have lighter alternatives to cut pounds.

if you're looking for something lightweight and a little more robust, check out the tops cub :)

otherwise all moras are "lightweight" generally

good luck

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  50. BRITT3175

BRITT3175 Scout

Blog Posts:
    If I am on the water alot (canoe/rafting) its a Mora companion stainless. In the woods its a Mora companion carbon, which ever way you "slice it" moras are all light weight ease to maintain and very packable in any configuration from ultralight to everest!
    Pick one, pack one and play!