Feeling pretty stupid: ESEE 3 vs Ferro Rod

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by sledjockey, Oct 29, 2012.

1. sledjockey

sledjockey Skookum's Bro Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    What is the trick to get sparks with an ESEE 3 and a ferro rod? I am feeling pretty stupid and annoyed at the moment.

Yes, I have Googled and YouTubed the HELL out of this before I posted for help. I really didn't want to admit failure either, just saying. :17::17::17:

I need to use a lifeline.

TIA

2. RangerJoe

RangerJoe Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Does your ESSE 3 have a coating on the blade?, this could be the issue, that, or the spine is not a good angle for striking...you can fix either of these problems though.

3. Lonewolf1

Lonewolf1 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Did you take the coating off the blade? If so you'll need to square the spine off with some sandpaper on a hard flat surface or a file.

4. 1066vik

1066vik Guide

Blog Posts:
    you using the edge or the spine?
    if you're using the spine, did you file a "clean spot" through the paint?
    If you're using the edge, it should spark.
    another option would be to take a dremel or half round file to square up the inside of the choil and use that for your fire steel.

5. sledjockey

Blog Posts:
    Ok.....

I feel even more stupid right now. I didn't even think about the coating on the spine. Cursing, whining, cursing more and publicly showing my lack of attention to detail seemed like the way to go with this problem.

Thanks guys. For whatever reason this didn't even dawn on me.....

6. familytracker

familytracker Scout

Blog Posts:
    we have all been there in one form or fashion before. Its just like waking around camp looking for your knife only to relies its on your hip.

7. Panzer

Panzer Prepared Wanderer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Even after the coating is removed you may need to file the spine square. Most coated blades aren't squared off. The sharper the better.

8. Wood Splitter

Wood Splitter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yep, it was defiantly the coating. And as Panzer said, your probably going to have to sharpen the spine, try and get it to a 90 degree edge. And don't feel stupid about having to ask a question, we all need help with something, sometime in our life.

“He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever”

9. XMP

XMP Mountain Man

Blog Posts:
    Removing the coating will work, but this is an even better solution:

View attachment 53639

Super hard, squared edges, and made for the job. I keep one of my firesteel's lanyard.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  10. Exy

Exy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Its definitely the coating, its thick and durable, won't let a spark out unless you remove a spot of it on the spine. I had the same issue, don't feel dumb :)

11. MiddleWolf

MiddleWolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    You are forgiven. Just invite us to a bacon feast as your penance.

12. woodsghost

woodsghost Guide

Blog Posts:
    Those things are great, but I like the leverage I can get with a full handle and the spine of the knife. It comes down to individual preference. Those scrapers are maybe $3, so it can't hurt to get one and try both the scraper and the spine of the knife.

13. akabu

akabu Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Or a Old Hack Saw Blade,Multi purpose use And Cheap! Lock pick, cutting tool,Fire tool, mini pry bar, screw driver,... just use your brain for the job at hand.
    Have one on my Key chain/ EDC for years.
    3 " works better for multi use and with a "ranger band" wrapped around a Multi tool handle makes a good Locking tool to cut stuff done it.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  14. Sylvan

Sylvan Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a 6 and had the same problem I watched this good vid and it did the trick for me.
    hope this helps [video=youtube;tZeXHsGPqGM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZeXHsGPqGM&feature=plcp[/video]

Those scrapers are nice but I lose them and broke one once.

15. sledjockey

Blog Posts:
    I did some work on mine last night with a scraper, wire brush, and file. It made a huge difference, but I am still not happy... yet. I will hit up one of my old coarse sharpening stones tonight to finish out the job.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I especially like the idea of using a sharpening stone rather than a file. I did find myself rounding the edges in a few spots, but hitting the stone should make a huge difference.

16. bushwolf

bushwolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    +1 on a dedicated striker.

I haven't used that type, but I make my own from small bits of scrap metal I have around, hacksaw blades with the teeth ground off and squared off pieces of old files with the groves ground off and the edges squared work well.

The added bonus of the file pieces is that they will work as part of a flint and steel set too.

17. anubis1335

anubis1335 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    AIM:
    anubaeobscura
    More food for thought. Many of us here are certified gear junkies, so knowing that and the comment on leverage, I am under the impression you need another new toy. This toy goes by the name of an SAK farmer. The awl is a spark producing fool! Christmas is just around the corner too... :whistles:

18. zpstl321

zpstl321 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Small files work reall well too. I sometimes use the file on my multi tool and thought about adding a small point file or other small file to my kit. It gives you more options in the field for making or repairing arrowheads, knives, ax or whatever.

19. Goose

Goose Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've got a friend that sharpened one side of the flat head screwdriver/bottle opener on his one handed trekker. It locks out, unlike the saw that likes to fold up on you when you put any pressure on it when scrapping the firesteel. I plan to do the mod to mine when I get a chance.

20. WoodsJack

WoodsJack Guide

Blog Posts:
    Heck, I'll admit it: I've done that with things I was holdiing in my hand.

Am I demoted now?

21. BradGad

BradGad Scout

Blog Posts:
    You're going to need to sharpen the spine... which will obviously take off the coating as well. It's the rounded edges of the spine that are the real culprit.

Expect it to require some elbow grease... maybe I don't have the best file, but it took me about half an hour to file the spine of my Izula down to a point where it made good sparks. I later put it on a surface grinder... this gave the knife a subtle clip point profile that I really like, and great 90 degree edges.

I'd like to see ESEE offer all their knives in a flat clip point configuration, with no coating on the forward portion of the spine.