Finding flint in western PA

Discussion in 'Fire' started by ak47tanker, Jul 30, 2011.

1. ak47tanker

ak47tanker Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys, I live in western PA and i was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on where to find flint and maybe a pic of what it looks like before its broken up. I could be stumbling over the stuff and just don't know it.
    thanks in advance

2. nothinghead

nothinghead Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I am no expert but flint is not found in the US. There are places to buy English flint online but if you just want somethin to make sparks with, quartz works. Really I take a striker with me hiking and strike whatever looks good. The qualities I look for are a sort or hard glassy or milky color, sharp edges, and how it breaks, does it flake off or crumble.

No expert but it has worked for me.

3. Trekon86

Trekon86 Guest

Blog Posts:
    No flint but you might be able to find quartz or chert.

There is supposedly a jasper deposit near me but I've never seen hide nor hair of it except perhaps bits and pieces, either half-worked or broken, that turn up in the fields....

PMZ

4. glouck

glouck Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Spoke with a geologist and he stated that the most abundant sources of flint are in Great Britain and parts of Europe. He went on to say that there are some smaller deposits in Texas and the Dakotas.

5. mikaelmazz

mikaelmazz Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I am in western pa also and I have never been able to find knappable stone of any sort.
    I belive that in the past there were vast trading networks which supplied certain areas with the knappable stone.

6. Newt

Newt Scout

Blog Posts:
  7. Dr. Redneck

Dr. Redneck Guide

Blog Posts:
    Texas and the rest of the south west supposedly has alot of flint, also Missouri and places around there according to YouTube arrowhead hunting videos, here in MI i cant find flint, but there is alot of chert which is basically like flint and sparks too. hoped this helped, but if not you can buy flint else where like eBay or you can search Google for flint.

8. Two Rivers

Two Rivers Guide

Blog Posts:
    I grew up in Western PA.( Emlenton Area ). Never found any flint but quarts is one of PA's most abundant minerals. Chert can be found easy enough too. Both of which will work fine. As was mentioned earlier, If your not sure of what will throw sparks, carry your steel with you and see which rocks will spark for you. It shouldnt takelong to find something.

9. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I live in SE PA and had a camp out in NW PA (Tidioute area) and I have never been able to find flint in any area!

10. saxon

saxon Guide

Blog Posts:
    Cripes, I wonder if we know each other? :6::)

11. ChapmanPreferred

ChapmanPreferred Tracker

Blog Posts:
    PA: South of I-80 on the Western shore of the Susq
    I talked to a Geologist at Susquehanna University who implied that flint and/or chert would be a significantly unusual find in my area of PA at a minimum.

12. ak47tanker

ak47tanker Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Probably not. I grew up in Ohio. I live just north of butler and work in Eau Claire
    also thanks everyone for the help. i just can't see how there is not any flint around. I used to find knapped arrowheads in my uncle's corn fields in NE OH when i was a kid. different material maybe?

13. mikaelmazz

mikaelmazz Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The raw material used to make those arrow heads may have been aquired through trading networks. I think that is the only way some tribes got a hold of decent knappable stone.
    Now that I think of it, I did find some quarts that through some sparks a wile back.

14. fire steel 703

fire steel 703 Scout

Blog Posts:
  15. Yankee Cymro

Yankee Cymro Scout

Blog Posts:
    I find flint (I think it's flint, I get a spark from it at least) in almost every "gravel" parking lot I see. I simply look around for a minute or two, and there it is. It has kind of a "shiny" look to it and is dark gray. I found loads of it while at Boy Scout camp with my son a few weeks ago. I taught some of the boys and Dads how to use it and was able to give them each their own piece of "flint".

16. fire steel 703

fire steel 703 Scout

Blog Posts:
    the link that i posted said to look along gravel roads since it gets mixed in

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011