First overnighter + alone + thunder & rain...wenn schon, denn schon ;-)

Discussion in 'Trips & Expeditions' started by Gunnarsson, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Gunnarsson

Gunnarsson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hi guys & girls,

last friday I went out for my first overnighter. It was a great experience! To be continued :)

I started friday, pretty late, driving by train to the Odenwald (forest/hilly area 1h away from where I live) and arrived there at 5:30 pm. I roughly calculatet 1 1/2h to get to a spot that is far enough away from civilisation to setup camp. Which was kind of a problem, because it is also getting dark at that time. For an experienced bushcrafter not too much of a problem. For me, doing everything for the first time...besides that a storm with heavy winds and rain was anounced.

Concerning the storm I took a too big risk. With so little experience I would not recommend to go into the woods when a storm is roling in. Don´t try this at home kids ;-)

My first problem with the lack of time ocured when I couldn´t find a flat spot. Everything was quiete steep but the sun was already almost gone. I finaly found a spot although it was already dark. Flat but not at a place where water would acumulate. I went for a tarpsetup I tried at home but did at that moment (dark, timepressure) something. It didn´t turn out the way I wanted but looked solid (which it proofed to be during the night) and big enough for me and my rucksack.

IMG_1556 (1).JPG

Another thing that went wrong, was that I saw a lot of springs on the map. In order not to carry too heavy (I was in total at 15kg/33lbs) I only brought 1,5l/50oz of water. But in the darkness...so I had to eat some dry food instead of cooking :-(

The upcomming night was fantastic! Temperature went down to 5C/41F and my sleeping pad was an old 1cm foam. But with all the leaves around it wasn´t a problem to at some extra isolation and comfort. Being alone in the woods at night, first time since probably 35 years (as a kid we were doing a lot of night action in the woods)...just great :) All the sounds of trees, animals and what do I know...

At 1 am the storm and rain kicked in (again: not cool to be there during a storm as a newbee). It was a very primitive experience (can you say that?). The trees sounded as if a huge train would constantly go through and the rain made me think of maybe better building a Noah´s Ark. But my tarp was not knocked over by the wind and no rain got through. Great feeling!

There are many things I would like to improve for the next time (more water, less weight, more secure with my gear (especialy tarpsetup...) but it is definitly to be repeated!!!

I hope you enjoyed reading this (and were able to understand what I want to say) and maybe for other newbees like me you can learn from some of the "don´t do it that way" ;-)

Cheers,
    Gunnar

2. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like a good learning trip. You're English is fine, and I'm happy you went on a successful trip. Next trip will be even better with what you learning on this one. You stayed DRY, very important! A good trip report thank you.

3. EvanStinson

EvanStinson Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Great story. It's a good feeling to persevere. Don't doubt yourself. While having lots of expirence is great you have to do it to get it. Hopefully you can get back out soon and start a little earlier in the day. Look forward to seeing more posts!

4. MartyJ

MartyJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Great job. Nothing to be sorry about. You did more then most folks by just getting out. I am sure there are a lot of things you could learn from and no harm was done. Some things that come to my mind:

Sound of rain - rain storm on a tarp sounds like a hundred gallons a minute! Usually sounds more then it is. Actually I love sleeping out in the rain under a dry shelter, some primitive survival pleasure zone I guess

Lack of water: Always hard to plan for. I know it didn't rain until later but a small piece of plastic could have got breakfast water. A large garbage bag well worth the weight I think. Can also be used for that and many other things. I do think extra water is worth more then a lot of stuff we carry.

Great job, bet you do it again!

5. Backyard

Backyard Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Congratulations! Sounds like it was a successful adventure.

6. Gunnarsson

Gunnarsson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    @all: thanks for the nice feedback :)

@MartyJ You are definitly right with the rain. Sounds more than it is. And when I got confidence into my tarpsetup rain & wind were pretty cool and somehow romantic. I even had a big plastic garbagebag with me but didn´t think about using it for collecting water. When doing it for the first time, I had to think about every step and things took quiete a while.

And YES! I will definitly do it again soon :)))

santig, MrFixIt, morganbw and 3 others like this.
  7. T MAC

T MAC Old Squid Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Good job of getting out and making it through the storm with your setup. Always a learning experience when one goes out and from this you see how to improve for your next outing. :dblthumb:

8. trailmaster

trailmaster Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The more go out the more you will learn. Keep it up!

morganbw, EvanStinson, Hoof and 4 others like this.
  9. DKR

DKR Scout

Blog Posts:
    Wunderbar!

To leave the city and travel then, in the dark, to place a working shelter shows time spent in practice was worth the effort.

By sleeping in the rain you are now an old hand.

May I suggest for the next trip, a small LED headlamp, to make the dark not an obstacle.

With the forest duff (leaves) so thick, a mattress is by Nature provided. So restful.

I wish to see the photos for your next trip, this is a taste to leave me wishing for more to see.

Vielen Dank für die Fotos geteilt

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017 at 8:04 PM
  10. BushSmith

BushSmith Scout

Blog Posts:
    Good for you for going out there and getting some dirt time! Everytime I go out I learn from my mistakes. Bushcrafting is a constant learning experience. Mother Nature can really throw you a curveball sometimes... LOL! At least you didn't get injured and you made it back home. Get back out there and have fun!

Lichen, morganbw, EvanStinson and 4 others like this.
  11. Tennessee

Tennessee Guide Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Sounded like a great trip out. The best times are when nature comes alive. I love the sound of wind roaring through the trees.

Great job on the tarp setup to not get wet or blown down. can't wait for your next report.

morganbw, EvanStinson, Hoof and 2 others like this.
  12. Gunnarsson

Gunnarsson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Indeed it was Wunderbar ;-)

I had a headlamp with me and it helped setting up the tarp. But it was still an obstacle to search for a branch I could use as a pole and for quiet a lot small ones to use as tent pegs. And wearing working gloves made my hands not to look so old ;-) Just joking.

This difficult but good start into the world of overnighters gives me confidence and most important of all a lot of joy :)

DKR, MrFixIt, backlasher and 5 others like this.
  13. Hoof

Hoof Guide

Blog Posts:
    Great trip and report. Thanks for sharing it with us

14. dub

dub Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Awesome trip. +1 on the garbage bag. A 3 mil contractor bag stuffed with those plentiful leaves would make an awesome mattress! Only thing I would say is watch for widow makers. Always look up when pitching your tarp, especially when storms are forecast. A branch falling through your tarp/tent in the middle of the night is not a good wake up call.

Isnalawica, MrFixIt, morganbw and 4 others like this.
  15. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You did a great job there. I'd camp with you anytime.

MrFixIt, morganbw, Hoof and 4 others like this.
  16. Gunnarsson

Gunnarsson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks a lot! I will give you a call when coming to Kansas! Just have to see how the train connections are from Frankfurt to your place ;)

MrFixIt, morganbw, Hoof and 3 others like this.
  17. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    well done, gunnar, well done ...

18. EvanStinson

Blog Posts:
    @Gunnarsson out of curiosity. What size tarp is that? I do mostly hammock but wanna learn more tarp set ups.

morganbw likes this.
  19. Gunnarsson

Gunnarsson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It´s a 3x3m (9,84 feet), 790 gramm/28 ounces (plus paracord and 4 pegs (which you don´t need) that are coming with it) tarp by DD Hammocks. Costs around 50 Euros (53 USD). When using it diagonal it should be perfect to cover a hammock aswell. I can´t tell you too much about setups because it was my first time. Though I can recommend it because it survived a thunderstorm and did it´s job.

I have chosen a square one because it looks like with this shape you have got the most options for setup. This specific tarp has got 19 anchor points so you have got a huge versatility.

edit: you can get it in camouflage, green and this one is desert.

MrFixIt, morganbw and EvanStinson like this.
  20. EvanStinson

Blog Posts:
    Sounds similar to my BCO 10'x10'. I should be able to do the same kind of set up.

morganbw and Gunnarsson like this.
  21. aaronu

aaronu Armchair Bushcrafter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Gunnarsson, thanks for the write-up. Not only did you get out there, but sounds like you learned a bit and now here you are helping the rest of us learn too.

DD Hammocks makes great kit. But the best gear won't save you if it is not pitched well. You stayed dry so it sounds like you did OK. :)

morganbw and Gunnarsson like this.
  22. Gunnarsson

Gunnarsson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Definitly! As I said in my first post I was planning to do it a bit different. This is just some wooden pegs around and a branch as a polec close to the entry. The branch is stuck into a glove on it´s top so it can´t damage the tarp. One paracord line at the front and it´s ready.

Not very sophisticated and very small at the entry but good enough for that weather. Because it is close to three sides with a small entrance, I had a little bit of condensation inside. But my sleepingbag was bonedry.

DomC, aaronu, backlasher and 3 others like this.
  23. Gunnarsson

Gunnarsson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Before spending the night there I was watching some videos on youtube and spent time reading in forums. But it felt completly different when realy doing it. What I realy enjoyed, was that upcomming problems did not result in fear, panic or wanting to quit but in calmness and structured thinking of what to do and directly and focused doing it. And I guess that this will happen to most of the people.

Problems in nature are different and once out there you got no other chance but just do what has to be done. Great feeling that I have been missing in my "normal" life.

And to share it here and get this cool feedback makes the experience even nicer :)

24. happywanderer

happywanderer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Great post! Being out in a rainstorm is one of my favorite things, assuming I have some shelter and can stay relatively dry. Sounds like a great night!

backlasher, morganbw and Gunnarsson like this.
  25. Guillaume Longval

Guillaume Longval Scout

Blog Posts:
    Good job! :)

I LOVE camping in a storm! Though i never did it with a tarp!
    I have to try that. Nice trip report, reminded me of good times!

backlasher, morganbw and Gunnarsson like this.
  26. happywanderer

happywanderer Scout

Blog Posts:
    A couple years ago I started reading Robert Louis Stevenson' book "Travels With A Donkey In the Cevennes." Early in his journey he described spending the night in the woods in a torrential storm buried in his custom, waterproof bedroll. Sounded amazing. One of these days I need to finish that book. Too many on the reading list.

27. Gunnarsson

Gunnarsson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    IMG_1552.JPG
    That night I started abook about a man who is going to live in the woods from one day to another. I am half way through and it was good entertainment under my tarp.

DomC, MrFixIt, backlasher and 2 others like this.
  28. happywanderer

happywanderer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Haven't seen that book before. Might just have to give it a try sometime. Thanks for sharing!

morganbw likes this.
  29. ewtoutdoors

ewtoutdoors BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Glad you got out and learned a few things , had some fun also. That would be a good trip. Thanks for sharing your adventure. :35:

Gunnarsson and morganbw like this.
  30. pab1

pab1 Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like a great trip! Thanks for sharing!

Gunnarsson and morganbw like this.
  31. oathkeeper762

oathkeeper762 Bushbum & PT Wanderer Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Well done sir! For a first time over nighter since your childhood days, I think you did an outstanding job. Pitching camp in the dark always elevates the challenge, and to do so with a pending storm makes it even more so. Your shelter was secure enough to weather the storm, and your site selection let you sleep both safe and dry despite the wind and the rain, all this done while soloing. I commend you on a job well done.

I learn something from every outing I take and there are always areas to improve on for the next outing. Refining and broadening our bushcrafting skills is half the fun. Many of us have shared your experience with water. I learned early in my scouting days two important lessons; water is heavy, and you never seem to have enough. I can't count the times when I have been lulled into a false sense of security by a topo map that indicated multiple water sources only to find out that they are seasonal and non-existent during my backpacking trip.
    I live in East Texas where it's hot and humid most of the time, so staying hydrated can be a challenge. I'm lazy when it comes to water prep, so if I can catch rain water off my tarp without having to treat it, I do. If I know it's going to rain I always have my empty pots and water bottles ready to catch run off from my tarp. Looking forward to hearing about your next outing!

Gunnarsson likes this.
  32. Sc0ut

Sc0ut Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    well done. you did great.

I've had my share of setting up a tent/tarp in the rain. with no fire due to rain, had to use msr stove for cooking. I always bring that stove for "emergency" and quick cooking conditions; just like I bring multiple ways of starting a fire (Bic, ferro rod, flint/steel). sometimes I use the msr stove to "help" start my wood fire :)

thank you for sharing.

Gunnarsson likes this.
  33. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Excellent write up, thank you for posting!

Gunnarsson likes this.
  34. Grouse Hunter

Grouse Hunter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Great trip report, you can watch all the videos but going and doing is how you learn. Good job.

Gunnarsson likes this.
  35. Gunnarsson

Gunnarsson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    "water is heavy, and you never seem to have enough." I espacialy like that sentence!

Report from my next outing will definitly follow :)

BalsamFur and aaronu like this.
  36. Isnalawica

Isnalawica Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You didn't choose the easiest (leaving late and unsteady weather) and you succeeded fine. Good job on that trip. By lack of time you just missed one of my favorite part in my trips: exploring, finding resources and the best camp possible.
    So would I (and I'm closer)!
    I haven't read this book (need to) but I have traveled in the Cevennes (lived 45 minutes away), great memories! Now I live closer to "the man who planted trees" (Jean Giono).
    Interesting, who is the author? On my last overnighter, I read Klondike by Michener.

Gunnarsson likes this.
  37. Brew-Jitsu

Brew-Jitsu Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Congrats on the solo overnight. Glad you were dry through the night!

Gunnarsson likes this.
  38. Gunnarsson

Gunnarsson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Alps are definitly closer than Kansas ;-)

The authors name is Erlend Loe from Norway and the name of the book is Doppler.

Isnalawica likes this.
  39. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Time Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Knowing what to do and what to expect, always helps to calm me down if things don't go as expected. You did well considering how long it's been for you since last time!

Keep track of what you did right and what you did wrong, so it can go better on your next outing.

Excellent post!

Steve

Gunnarsson likes this.
  40. IzaWildman

IzaWildman Old Dog Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Great job for first overnighter. It sounds like you had an exciting time.

Gunnarsson likes this.
  41. Smokey Radley

Smokey Radley Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for sharing, sounds like a great trip and learning experience!

Gunnarsson likes this.
  42. happywanderer

happywanderer Scout

Blog Posts:
    It's free on Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.org/files/535/535-h/535-h.htm

Gunnarsson likes this.
  43. DomC

DomC Retired Old Scrub Stomper

Blog Posts:
    Great learning experience @Gunnarsson and a job well done! Good TR, thank you for sharing!:dblthumb:

Dom

Gunnarsson likes this.
  44. Gunnarsson

Gunnarsson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    happywanderer likes this.
  45. houstondiscdog

houstondiscdog Carpe Canem Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Sometimes you learn what TO do, sometimes you learn what NOT to do, but it's all learning in my experience. Sounds like a good outing, regardless and thank you for sharing!

46. NJHeart2Heart

NJHeart2Heart Backyard Bushcrafter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Kudos for getting out there and giving it a try! I'd probably have bailed with that kind of weather :oops:
    My favorite trip reports are often the ones where a lesson was learned. It helps me to think ahead for my next outing and what I can do to avoid a particular hardship :)

happywanderer, DomC and Gunnarsson like this.
  47. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Scout

Blog Posts:
    Good on ya for getting out there and persevering through the storm. Awesome trip report! You just spent your first night in the real world :dblthumb:. Your English is fine btw. I love seeing trips from Europe and other places around the world.

happywanderer, DomC and Gunnarsson like this.
  48. Gunnarsson

Gunnarsson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I had a great night in the storm. Would have been safer to bail out though ;-)

I will keep on posting because there are a lot of lessons to learn left for me :p

happywanderer and NJHeart2Heart like this.
  49. Finnbarr

Finnbarr Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Great job of getting out there and going for it! An element of uncertainty such as running out of daylight and some weather always seems to enrichen the experience. Thanks for posting, Finnbarr

Gunnarsson likes this.
  50. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Good stuff @Gunnarsson . I've had some really frustrating times finding flat ground before too. Those hammock guys definitely have an advantage there. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Gunnarsson likes this.