first times

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by leaf and lightning, Mar 31, 2012.

1. leaf and lightning

leaf and lightning Guide

Blog Posts:
    pretty straight forward... lets hear about the first gun you ever shot... or if you got kids, how about the first time you took them shooting...

I think I was 11 or 12 the first time my dad let me shoot (he had been drilling me on safe handling of a gun a for years before that though, from the time I was like 5 or so)... he took me up back, and handed me his old break action 20 gauge... after he drilled me on all the basic safety stuff, and I didn't mess up, he handed me a shell( a slug, though I didn't know that or that it would make a difference as far as recoil at the time), and told me to aim at an old brush pile( brush over top of 2 old steel septic tanks... nothing ever makes it through) about 20 yards away... I load the gun, shoulder it, cock the hammer back, aim, switch off the safety, slip my finger into the trigger guard... then shoot... ouch... I will never forget that buttstock slamming into my shoulder( I had a bruise on my shoulder for a week)... didn't drop the gun though... my dad hands me another shell, and tells me to hold it tight to my shoulder this time... so I did, and even though I flinched like crazy the second time, it didn't hurt near as badly... we went through around 15-20 more shells that day( shot shells, not slugs,to break me of flinching)
    my relationship with my old man can be a tad strained at times, but I always remember that day as a good one...

2. Alaskatrekker

Alaskatrekker Tracker

Blog Posts:
    First firearm was when my grandpa passed away and I was 10 or so. My dad said that grampa's two guns go to me. One was an Ithaca 20ga single shot and the other was a Sears bolt action .410.
    After we got back to the farm from the funeral he took me out to a dirt pile with the 20 and asked me if I'd like to give it a go. I was pretty excited and a little suprised by the recoil, but the bug bit me and I've been a gun guy ever since!.
    Dad took me out several years earlier with a pellet gun and we shot some cans off of railroad ties and our cat wound up getting one of the cans stuck on his head while trying to lick out the leftovers. Gosh I don't think I've thought of that in 20 plus years or so.
    I now have a son of my own but he is only a year old, but he already has several firearms packed away for him when he is mature enough to handle them. I look forward to the day when I can start teaching him.

Alaskatrekker

3. tennecedar

tennecedar Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I was 7 when my dad let me shoot a S&W 38 special. I got my own 410 H&R at 9 years old.

4. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    About 4 when I fired a 22 rifle setting in Granddads lap. My kids all started the same way, at about the same age.

By 7, I was shooting the 410, and at 8, hunting doves. Never looked back. :)

5. stillscout

stillscout Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I believe I was 10 when visiting my neighbors grandfolks farm, when he produced a double barrel 12 ga. scatter gun. There was a vulture above us and he said pull both triggers! I missed the bird but the impression was everlasting. I owned my first firearm three years later, a Stevens model 311 12 ga. double. I remorse I no longer have it.

6. woodland_prepper

woodland_prepper Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The first firerarm that i have ever shot was a 303 springfield. I was with my dad at my gandpas farm shoot at some sinder blocks. very fun rifle. we still shoot it to this day...

7. Charlie_X

Charlie_X Scout

Blog Posts:
    The first time I ever went shooting was when I was 19 and the gun in question was a 12 gauge Mossberg 500 that I got for my birthday. Some of you can probably see where this is going.

The first time I fired it was without hearing protection and I won't ever do that again. I was surprised when the report from the gun didn't match the report you hear on the movies, and the recoil was stout my first time out. But I buckled down, put in the earplugs and kept going. To say I was sore the next day would be an understatement.

8. Falstaff

Falstaff Scout

Blog Posts:
    Dad let me shoot his 22 revolver when I was about 6 on one of "the men" of the family's (my two older brothers, myself and our dad) desert hikes around the base of Superstion Mt east of Phoenix.

9. Whitestone

Whitestone Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    My mother bought me a Glenfield Model 10 .22 when I was 10. It was a single shot bolt action. My father was opposed because I was a girl. He put his foot down that he would have no part in teaching me "Man things". But Mom knew me and she knew what I wanted.
    She then joined the local Sportsmen's Club. You have no idea how hard that was for her! In 1975, decent women did not join Sportsmen Clubs. We took a bunch of left over 2X4 chunks and 2 boxes of shorts. Mom had the salesman give her lessons on how to work the rifle and she acted like a pro out there! I was as inpressed as a 10 year old could be!! She had learned all the safety rules too. There was a board with the Club's rules on the wall and we would read it out loud together everytime we went.
    She told me years later, that she went back to Sears a few times to get answers to the problems I was having and to get more advice on advice she should give me!! Mom had never shot a gun before she took me out there.

We hit quite a few 2x4s that summer and I never looked back.
    Shooting was not the only thing she taught me that summer.

10. Charlie_X

Charlie_X Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nice to meet you then, Whitestone.

11. Trust no one

Trust no one Scout

Blog Posts:
    A daisy red rider was the first gun. First actual firearm was my dads Sears & Roebuck 12 gauge side by side. I let both barrels loose and my 10 year butt hit the ground been addicted ever since. On a side note I just bought a red rider for my sons birthday I am very excited.

12. Malamute

Malamute Guide

Blog Posts:
    Don't recall exactly, but was about 7 when we got our first pellet guns, and were allowed to shoot the 22 with supervision at about 8 or 9. I was turned loose to shoot alone at about 10, bought my first 22 pistol at about 11, bought my first 357 Ruger Blackhawk at about 12-13, and first 44 mag Super Blackhawk at about 14. First Winchester 94 at 14, first Marlin 45-70 at about 15, shot dads 30-06 and one I bought from a freind of his at about 13.

We used to buy a brick of 22's (500) each time we went out to shoot. Got to be about every weekend when I get the first couple 22 pistols.

13. Bartnmax

Bartnmax Scout

Blog Posts:
    The first rifle I ever shot was a 'Lithgow' model .22lr made by Slazenger arms.
    'Lithgow' is the town in NSW (here in Oz) where the defence forces armory was located during WW1 & WWII & the little .22 was a single shot rifle produced from excess barrel blanks made for .303 SMLE training rifle stock (the .303 training rifle was actually a SMLE single shot with a .22lr barrel). They had a bolt that only had a single locking lug (root of the bolt handle) & a very plain beech stock, but they were superbly accurate & super reliable.

The rifle in question was bought new for my father, by his father (my Grandfather) on his (Dad's) 13th birthday. He was born in 1934 so that makes it purchased in 1947. I was born in 61 & started learning to shoot it on my 8th birthday (1969). I'm now just past 50 & still have that little rifle & it still shoots as reliably & accurately as it ever did.

The first scatter gun I shot was my Grand-dad's 12ga H&R single barrel.
    Started with that one at age 11.
    Used to use it on his farm chasing rabbits, ducks, quail, & roos for the pot.
    I've also still got that gun & it's even older than the Lithgow rifle of Dad's.
    As far as I've been able to ascertain it was bought 2nd hand by my Grandfather sometime around 1918-1922. Hard to track down an exact date as Grand-dad has been dead for quite a while now. It was originally owned by a mate of Grand-dad's but he dropped it into the spokes of his motorbike wheel & bent the barrel. Grand-dad being the handy guy he was straightened it out & re-proofed it, & it's performed well ever since.

I've got a lot of far better pieces in the collection now but those two have a very special place in the safe.

Bill Allen
    Melbourne Australia.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  14. Mykos

Mykos Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think I was 9 or 10, while camping my Dad taught me to shoot his old Mossberg .22
    I must have shot his .243 soon after though.

15. sherlockian100

sherlockian100 Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    First gun I ever shot was my old man's 357 Colt Trooper. I was eight-years old. Last year my dad turned 75 and gave me all of his guns, including that one. He has various collections coins stamps, vinyl records, etc. He gave me and each of my 3 brothers one of his collections. Being a former police officer, I guess he figured the gun collection should go to me. Then, because the coin collection was valued so high, that got split 4 ways. But, my little musician bro got records, etc. I definately got the "treasures." That is one gun that I will always cherish. That and an old Buck knife that he also gave me.

16. tleek

tleek Scout

Blog Posts:
    well bb guns first, but then when i was five my dad took me out shooting with his .223 AR.
    Probably not the best gun to teach a five year old to shoot with, but hey, i learned.

17. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Scout

Blog Posts:
    My first firearm experience was a Stevens .22/410 o/u. My dad still has it, though the stock and firing pins broke. I'm gonna take it home and fix it up next time I can visit my folks. Keep the memories goin. I think it was my brothers (8 years my senior) first gun too. I certainly remember the story about him nailing the spruce hen with it. I want this to be my sons first firearm too. We got him started on bb guns last year, well see how he does. He is kinda dead set against doing things unless it's his idea or his friend wants to do it. I try to work with it, don't want to turn him off to things by forcing him.

18. TBTG

TBTG Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was 6 years old and I shot my dad's 10/22. Thats what started my obsession.

19. Bax 40

Bax 40 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It was the early 50s and a Remington Targetmaster that my older sister got for 8th grade graduation, been a firearms collector and shooter ever since, I put a lot of meat on the dinner table with that .22, got a single barrell 12 ga at about age 10.
    Most of my youth was spent earning money to buy ammo.
    The Mo. Ozarks was a great place to grow up.

Larry

20. Pointer

Pointer Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The first gun I ever shot was my cousin's 22 single shot bolt action rifle. I don't remember who manufactured it.

21. MissouriMapper

MissouriMapper Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I didn't get to shoot as a kid. So, my first experience was with an M-16 in boot camp in 1972. I've been an avid firearms enthusiast since then and all my boys grew up shooting.

22. kornphlake

kornphlake Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think the first time I shot a gun was a daisy bb gun at a cub scout day camp, I must have been 8 or 9 years old at the time, my cousin had a Crosman pump up bb gun that I shot that same summer, I can't remember which was first. My dad had a bb gun and a pellet pistol, to this day I've only seen him shoot the rifle once I've never seen him fire the pistol. The first time I fired a real firearm I was probably 12 years old at a scout camp, it was some bolt action .22.

When I was 23 I bought my first gun, it was a daisy air soft pistol I bought to encourage the neighborhood cats to pee in someone else's flower beds. It's been all downhill since then.

23. castersquire

castersquire Tracker

Blog Posts:
    First gun was a Daisy Lever Action BB Gun got that one when I was 8
    My First 22 was given to me by my dad at 21 it's been with me for 18 year's it's a JC Higgin's Model 103.18
    The trigger need's to be replaced since it no longer keep's the bolt locked when cocked

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  24. JPWhlr

JPWhlr Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The first firearm I ever shot was my grandpa's Stevens Crackshot .22 that he'd cut down to "boy size". I must've been 6 or 7 years old that summer, and my granddad taught me the fundamentals of safe shooting with that little rifle.

The first rifle I was trusted to carry afield alone (when I was 12) was my other grandpa's single-shot Winchester model 67 .22. I inherited that one when he passed away, but then gave it to a cousin (another of my grandpa's grandsons) when he was teaching his son to shoot. Since then it's made the rounds of our family.

25. Fischereco2

Fischereco2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was a little late in the game.

My parents never had guns and have never been firearms enthusiasts. I've always been something of a history buff, so when I was 18 and saw an add in the paper for genuine Russian WWII rifles I just had to have one.

I went down to my local Big 5 Sporting Goods and bought a 1943 M91/30 Mosin Nagant. Took it on a family camping trip the next week and put 20 rounds through it. I've been hooked ever since...

Some people think you should start out with a .22, and when I teach people how to shoot that is what I start them with, but I've always been kind of glad that my first experience was with a larger caliber rifle. It taught me how to shoulder a rifle properly real quick, and despite my lanky bean-pole frame I am comfortable shooting just about anything. I don't consider anything less than a 12 gauge to have recoil worth worrying about.

26. ozrkmtnman

ozrkmtnman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Seems like my kids and I were shooting from the moment we were born, figuratively speaking. My younger brother, however, just never took to it that much, and never taught his family to shoot. I finally decided to remedy that.
    I had an Ithica lever action 22 cal. which my kids and my brother's kids spent some time shooting. They were having a great time. My sister-in-law had always been afraid of guns, but after watching the kids for a while she finally decided to give it a try.
    That's when I decided to initiate her the right way. Under pretense of doing something else, I switched the 22 for my Winchester 94 30-30. To the untrained eye they look similar enough, both being lever action.
    I did instruct her on how to hold the rifle in preparation for a kick, but that is something you must experience to get the hang of. And she has been watching the kids shooting the .22 all this time. Needless to say, she definitely got a "big kick" out of her first time shooting!

27. TomcatPC

TomcatPC Scout

Blog Posts:
    The first "gun" I shot was a friend's Daisey air rifle, it was the version that was "pump action", I think it was called the Model 25? Later, when I was 9 or 10, I think it was Christmas of 1980 I got my own Daisey Air Rifle, it was a lever action version, still have it, but it is packed away at my Dad's.

The first actual firearm I fired was a Boy Scout Camp when I was 12 in the Summer of 1983. They had Winchester (I think?...could be wrong though) .22" Cal. Single Shot Bolt Action Rifles. I do recall that they had really easy to use peep sights. I don't recall how many empty .22" Long Rifle Cases I left beside me, but it was a lot LOL. I kept getting back in the queue over and over LOL.

Growing up inside the limits of a small town and having a Dad who got "burned out" on firearms due to him growing up in the Depression and then attending an event called the Second World War, I did not get pushed into firearms as a child. I had to wait until I was 12, but that is all right. But he was all right with me shooting, maybe a bit reluctant at first, but all right in the end. I got my first firearm at 15 about a month after my Mother passed. It was a Stevens-Savage Model 15-A .22" Single Shot...which I still have.
    Mark

28. bearhunter2

bearhunter2 Guest

Blog Posts:
    i really dont remember. i was hunting by myself with a 20g double by the time i was 10 or 11...
    i had a bb gun since i was old enough to remember...

i do remember shooting an old musket when i was very young, maybe that was it...

29. mdauben

mdauben Scout

Blog Posts:
    The first "gun" I ever shot was an Daisy lever-action BB gun. My Dad gave my my first training on gun safety and marksmanship with that little gun. We lived in an urban area with no ranges or open areas to shoot "real" guns, so I was limited to that for a long time.

The first actual firearm I ever shot was a non-desript single shot .22 at Scout summer camp. They had classes in target shooting and trap. Good times. :)

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

30. Hiwa

Hiwa Guide

Blog Posts:
    About 8 years old with my dad's Cooey .22 was the first. He taught me good gun safety and it stuck .
    When I was 13 ,I walked into a Sears store and bought myself a Winchester Model 94 in 30-30 and 2 boxes of cartridges. The salesman just took my name and phone number. I walked through the mall with it , got on a bus and went home with it. No funny looks or questions from anybody !
    The good 'ole days I guess.

31. riverman

riverman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    When I was 7-8 years old my father was a police officer and took me to his dept.range.I shot his partners personal AR-7 .22 rifle,and my fathers .357 revolver.My father was behind me holding the revolver with me.I remember my motheir was not too happy about it.

32. Dr. Redneck

Dr. Redneck Guide

Blog Posts:
    i shot a .22/410. combo (Rossi) and it was when i was 8, had a blast

33. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I was 6 when my dad let me shoot his service 1911. I was 7 when I got my Ithaca M-49 lever gun .22. I shot my first dove with my Marlin bolt action .410 at 10...

Regards.,

ezra

34. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Time Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My first "firearm" was a Red Ryder BB gun. I was about 5 years old.

My dad gave it to me for my birthday and I had a ball with it. He drilled me on firearms safety for hours before he'd even let me touch it.

After about half a day of shooting at birds and horse droppings it stopped working. My Uncle Ted (a Korean War Vet.) was at the house and asked to take a look at it. After some tinkering the BB gun went off and he caught a BB in he end of his thumb. He started yelling at me, "Why didn't you tell me it was cocked?"

I looked at him and recited: "Always handle a firearm as if it were loaded".

My Dad started laughing his butt off and Uncle Ted laughed too... after a while.

Good memory. Thanks for he post!

35. many knives

many knives Scout

Blog Posts:
    first fire arm i ever owned was a mosin nagant, deacent rifle but horible with scopes. first hand gun was a 1851 navy bp revolver replica that my wife baught me for v-day 2 yrs ago, yes im lucky lol

36. BrianP

BrianP Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    The first time I fired a rifle I was four. My father had a war buddy come to visit from Tuscaloosa, Alabama, and they decided to lake shoot some targets. Fun to try, you set up targets on a slope heading down to the lake and then aim at the reflection in the water to skip the rounds into the target. It used to be a big thing in some areas.

They were using my Dad's M1 Garand in 30-06 and suddenly decided to let the little guy try. After some good old fashioned coaching and "snapping in" I was allowed a round...

I don't remember where the round hit, but I will always remember how my shoulder, and body felt...too heavy to hold properly by myself I had a little help from a stump. The butt came back and met me with a nice, solid thwack. Being so proud to be with these heroes of mine I tried not to cry, and instead smiled and hung around for another try...

37. kg4ghn

kg4ghn Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yahoo! Messenger:
    kg4ghn
    My first gun was a NEF single-shot .410. I had a few BB guns before that but the first time I pulled the trigger on that shotgun I was hooked. My stepdad threw out a water filled coke bottle and told me to shoot it. I asked him where the rear sight was and he told me I didn't need it so I pointed, pulled the trigger and the bottle went flying through the air in a cloud of dust.

My son shot actually shot his first gun today, a .22. I had him set up with a bi-pod and a scope so all he had to focus on was the safety rules, disengaging the safety, and pulling the trigger.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

38. Kinggoat

Kinggoat Scout

Blog Posts:
    I believe I was 12 when I spent the night at a friends house and got to shoot a single shot 410. After that I was able to use and old co2 pellet gun my dad had. It didn't compair at all.

39. kentucky glass man

kentucky glass man Scout

Blog Posts:
    Louisville, KY formerly Alabama and Mississippi
    I had my first "gun" before I was born. My Mom and Dad bet on the outcome of a soap opera, well anyway Dad won and I had a Daisy single pump bb gun. I still have it, it has been run over by a truck, rusted, abused, and mistreated in numerous ways. That was a great beginning . The first real firearm I remember shooting was a nickel plated .12 guage. I told Dad I wanted to shoot it, it looked fun. He kind of giggled and went over the procedure with me. He left out the part about picking my 6 yr old rear up off the ground. That was the beginning of the lessons.

40. murphy

murphy Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've never really thought about the first time I shot a gun. I sure can't remember it. I'm definitely going to call my dad in the morning and see if he can remember.

I do remember shooting my first squirrel with a Stevens crackshot .22. I could walk through the woods and show you the tree I shot him out if. My 10 year old son is competing in a 4H shooting competition with that little rifle tomorrow.

Murph

41. Western

Western Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I don't remember if it was my first, but it was one of my first and probably my first "big" gun shooting.

I had gone with my dad and some other family out pheasant hunting. I was too young to shoot and too old to leave at home so I was the dog... flush 'em and duck.

After the day was done, my dad asked if I wanted to shoot his smooth-bore, double barrel, blackpowder shotgun he had used that day for a challenge. Heck, yeah!!

I lined up in front of the truck, took aim at an ear of corn set up for the target and BOOM!!!

Making the typical rookie shooter's mistake of not keeping the buttstock tight to my shoulder and with a gun that kicked like a mule was bad enough, but I was also standing really close to the truck. So when it punched my shoulder it knocked me back into the truck grill. I ended up with bruises on the front AND back of my shoulder.

But I drilled that ear of corn and kept it nailed to a board in my room for quite a while.