Fishing camp on stilts?

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by RickS, Dec 14, 2016.

1. RickS

RickS Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am going to be building a fishing camp/man cave/hunting camp in a flood plain. I will build it up on stilts. Just wondering if anyone on here has done anything like this and has any tips for me. It has never gotten higher than 18-24 inches. Thanks

2. manitoulinbound

manitoulinbound Apple Fritter Lover Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Some fellas built a cabin near mine a few years ago and they built it up higher as they planned on using it as a snowmobile shack. A rough estimate puts them about 20" off the ground. They built piers with wood framing, about 2' square about every 4 square feet. The big thing they have going for them is that everything is on bed rock. I'm in construction and around here it is illegal to build on flood plain land (for insurance purposes). My real concern for you is making sure your pier is in the ground far enough. If it were me and I wanted to be say 2' off the ground, I would have my piers at least 6' in the ground. It sounds like a lot, but remember, you are going to have a building on these things. Anywho, when you move along with the project, I would definitely love to see some pics! Good luck!

RickS likes this.
  3. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Whatever height you eventually settle on, add 2' more feet... Can't explain why the climate is changing... can only tell you that here in LA, we've been getting "the flood of the century" every year for the past decade... places that haven't flooded since the 1800s are flooding, and folks who thought they were safe turned out not to be...

Look at Baton Rouge this past year. 24" of rain in a few days? Unheard of.. yet 3/4 of the homes in one parish flooded... that's not trash living in trailers... that's brick homes built on a slab well above a flood plain, covered by insurance because it was "safe".

Maybe it's different in MO, but as I said... figure a height, and add a couple feet to it.

wildbill50 and RickS like this.
  4. thedutchtouch

thedutchtouch Scout

Blog Posts:
    might be easier to build it on floats and just anchor it really well?

TWill and RickS like this.
  5. Gii shi kan dug

Gii shi kan dug Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I would check with what ever state agency that manages lakes and rivers where you live. I lease land on a river in SE Minn and I have seen the river move 100 yards during a flood in 2010. The state DNR allows no permanent structures on that area.

RickS likes this.
  6. RickS

Blog Posts:
    One place I am looking at is a small town where my family is from, it already is full of permanent structures. Most people just clean up after every high water. When I lived in Louisianna I noticed a lot of the camps were built up about 8 ft. They used the underneath to store their boats and clean fish.

Nonc-Tobe likes this.
  7. svh

svh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    How big of a structure are ya thinkin ? I am livin in a house on piers I built a awhile back. The footprint of my structure is 24' x 36', and sits on 15 - 1' concrete piers that are anchored to the bedrock. Lots of excavator work.

The wrap around deck, screened porch, and front porch are all supported by cedar poles, anchored in concrete, harvested from the spot the houe is built.

The house sits on a 15 deg. grade on top of a steep dropoff, or cliff, and is about 18 inches off the ground in front, and about 15 feet or so in the back.

We had to dig to reach the bedrock, some places only a foot or two, other places down to almost 10 feet. Once we hit the rock, we dug an upside down "mushroom", and drilled several anchors into said rock, and poured a footing, or base for the piers. Then we set more anchors into the fresh concrete, and set 12 inch Sonitube on top of the anchors, and, once plumb and straight, filled them up with buckets full of concrete right off of the truck.

We had to use buckets as the force of the crete in the chute from the truck proved to be too much, and wanted to push the tubes over ! What a PITA.

Here is a couple of under construction pics.

IMG_7641.JPG
    IMG_0493.JPG

Here is the almost :rolleyes: completed outside. The inside is still nowhere near finished yet, half insulated, one quarter dry walled, barely runnin water ..... But I'm livin here anyway ! I love it !!!

IMG_0599.JPG

gila_dog, Kdad, TX-1948 and 2 others like this.
  8. RickS

Blog Posts:
    Very nice! I have a cabin I built that is 12x20 with a 10x20 screened porch. I was thinking of something about that size.

9. lotek

lotek Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Make your holes deep, use the largest poles you can afford, and build at least 3 times as high as the 100yr flood level
    Being able to walk or park under your camphouse is a good thing. WP_20161230_09_38_38_Pro.jpg

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    RickS likes this.