Free Garmin GPS Maps

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Myr1ad, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Myr1ad

Myr1ad Scout

Blog Posts:
    IMG_1590.JPG
    Just before Christmas my family adopted a rescue puppy. Turns out he is part hound and sometimes ignores the world to follow his nose. After much saving of quarters (my slush fund method, all quarters in the family go in a jar) we purchased a Garmin Astro 320 and T5 collar bundle. This allows me to track my dog and has the added benefit of being a full featured GPS.
    IMG_1646.JPG
    The "installed maps",however, proved to be a joke, so I was left $99 short of, what I would consider, a usable system. Don't be fooled the maps do not look anything like the image on the box, that is the $99 upgrade maps shown. Not having the funds to purchase the Garmin Topo maps I scoured the web. Much to my surprise I found an entire website dedicated to Garmin comparable maps, even better they were free. I checked a lot of comments across the web to make sure people were happy with the site and that I was not about to download a bunch of viruses. Everything checked out, 10 minutes later I had maps on my handheld GPS unit. Seriously, it was that easy. Download Garmin's program, download maps and run the included installer, then use the Garmin program to install onto my GPS. Everything worked so easily that while free I will be making a donation, for the creators time and effort, after I save it up.

So without further discussion let me introduce you to https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/
    This site has easy to follow step by step directions, lots of free maps, and links to everything else you could need.

I hope this info helps out any of that might be in need of maps.

All that being said, if anyone has a Garmin 24K Topo map set for the Northeastern US that they are not using, I would be more than happy to give it a good home.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  2. Schwert

Schwert Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have used these free maps for years...they work perfectly with my Garmin.

3. Myr1ad

Myr1ad Scout

Blog Posts:
    He also takes submissions, if you have traced trails with your GPS. You can send the files to him and he will add them into the trails map that seems to be his leagacy.