funny story....bomb squad involved!

Discussion in 'Geocaching' started by ja123182, Apr 27, 2011.

1. ja123182

ja123182 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yahoo! Messenger:
    jeremyminarik@yahoo.com
    last weekend, the road that my mom and dad live on was closed for like 5 hours for a supicious package. They had the bomb squad and the whole nine yards in on it. Turns out all it was was a geo cach. Someone planted a new cach in a tree werw they had permision, and someone reported them. Ans they were driving by I guess. You can read about it online on the argus press news website. Thought you might enjoy that. And if it ever stop raing I plan on trying to find it :)
  2. Bucketosudz

Bucketosudz ARTISAN ATTRIBUTES

Blog Posts:
    I think that Geocacher's as a whole wouldn't consider doing something nefarious, however there is that percentage of folks out there that will "stir the pot" if you will. In fact I predict we will hear more of these types of stories as time wears on, unfortunately. Ever cautious...
  3. Lerch

Lerch Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Lucky they didnt blow up the geocache, Bombsquad often blows it then asks questions.
  4. karlsefni01

karlsefni01 Guide

Blog Posts:
    wow! well, that was exciting for your folks and their neighbors I bet!
  5. trailhopper

trailhopper Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Here's a funny bomb squad story.

Posted: Monday, January 4, 2010

The Washington State Patrol bomb squad was called Monday to investigate a suspicious device that turned out to be a geocaching find north of Castle Rock.

Geocachers are hobbyists who employ coordinates and clues posted on the Web to find specific locations using global positioning system devices. The locations are usually marked with a symbol, trinket or note.

The Cowlitz County Sheriff's Office said a deputy was investigating a report of a suspicious car Monday morning when he came across a microwave tucked into a tree near Hog Island, which is along the Cowlitz River near West Side Highway. The appliance appeared to be plugged in, said Chief Criminal Deputy Charlie Rosenzweig.

The deputy called in the bomb squad, which arrived around 1:30 p.m., Rosenzweig said. In a statement issued Monday, the bomb squad said it used a jet of water to remotely open the microwave's door. Inside it found a Tupperware container with a geocache sticker.

"The WSP bomb squad understands that geocaching is a worldwide hobby, and we would ask that all geocache items are properly marked with the green geocache organization sticker on the outside container," the statement said.

Rosenzweig said he'd never heard of the bomb squad being called because of a geocache find, but geocaching Web sites include plenty of similar accounts. In September, the Colorado Springs bomb squad blew up what was later thought to be a geocache find at a community college, according to the blog Geocaching for Tomorrow.

Geocaching.com, a Web site where geocachers post clues, said Monday's discovery along the Cowlitz River was the work of GeoMimi55, an artist who lives in Cowlitz County. The Web site did not include GeoMimi55's real name, and she declined to provide it. Geocachers are known to keep their identities private.

In an e-mail to a reporter, GeoMimi55 said she prides herself on "making creative caches for others to find." She said she painted the microwave to blend in with its surroundings, then hid it in the hollow of a maple tree near the river.

"Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that a microwave plugged into a hollow tree stump would be mistaken for a bomb," she wrote, adding that Monday's events will be the talk of the local geocaching community.

"I will never live this event down," the e-mail said. "I am sure that the story will be told over and over about the grandma who was mistaken for a tree bomber."
  6. Friartuck

Friartuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    Now the terrorists know how to disguise their bombs to make them seem less dangerous.

This is a funny story though. Thanks for sharing.
  7. Agile Woodsman

Agile Woodsman Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Hah I thought the same thing, then I figured it would not be a problem if they ask all terrorists to mark their bombs, IED's and other makeshift weapons of destruction with proper IED Al queda organization sticker.
  8. Mattnu

Mattnu Guide

Blog Posts:
    It would appear that nobody asked them selves what a microwave would be doing in a tree, and what would someone hope to blow up by placing said microwave in the tree.

Had a suspicious package in our local park early one new years day. Wife, dogs and I were the only ones in the park. After calling the dogs to me and letting the wife poke at it, we determined it probably wasn't a bomb. So, appearing safe, I went to investigate. It was a box of guinea pigs that had been abandoned. Blind male and expecting female. They went home with us.
  9. Old Philosopher

Old Philosopher Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I need a tourniquet, I'm biting my tongue so hard. :(
    The person I feel most sad for is the person who reported this, and who has become so paranoid and fearful, that they see a terrorist behind every tree...in this case literally.
    Beware. This is the same person, and mentality, that will be reporting YOU for "suspicious behavior" the next time you're whittling, or boiling water in a tin can.
  10. bigfoot

bigfoot Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, out with the common sense, in with the paranoia. Unfortunately, geocachers enjoy many of the same remote or out-of-sight areas that criminals, transients, drug dealers, litterers, etc. do. I have read a couple of stories about cachers finding bodies while looking for finds.

I myself have come across plenty of used drug paraphernalia, garbage, and miscellaneous junk. And we aren't talking about the big city here -- we're talking remote areas along scenic rivers and whatnot. It really is a shame.
  11. chukar8

chukar8 Scout

Blog Posts:
    What is so stupid about this to me is that a Terrorist wants to blow up lots of people not a single person in the middle of the woods, Maybe the Terrorist hates trees and stumps???:33:
  12. Old Philosopher

Old Philosopher Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    There is talk of this sort of thing on geocaching.com. They understand that some places that were "safe" when the cache was placed that might become haunts for unsavory folk later. They want folks to report things like paraphernalia, and other hazards. If they see a site becoming unsafe, it will be "unregistered", so searchers aren't put at risk.
  13. Outkast_1B

Outkast_1B Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    A guy on our local Bomb squad is an avid cacher. He said he often checks the Geocaching site when they are called to a suspicious package to make sure its not a cache.
  14. pure_mahem

pure_mahem Guide

Blog Posts:
    Eastern Upstate NY / South Western Vermont
    If I was the Bomb Squad Guy I would of signed the log book and thought Woohoo! FTF!!

Homer Simpson Moment here!
  15. fairweather

fairweather Scout

Blog Posts:
    that's funny:4:. thanks for sharing.
  16. AncientNCO

AncientNCO Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This happened to me once. I was detained for 2 hours until the police worked it all out. The road and adjacent park was closed down for almost 3 hours. This is why I don't like urban caches.
  17. Naga

Naga Tracker

Blog Posts:
  18. 45jack

45jack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Never put your cache in a pressure cooker.
  19. OldMan

OldMan Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's the part that gets me...I mean seriously? It wasn't that it was a microwave, but that it looked like it was plugged in?
  20. Shnick

Shnick Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I ran across a cache signed by the local drug enforcement officer in a small town in Georgia.
    They thought it was a drug drop by the number of folks coming by to lift the lightpole skirt...

A parking meter in the middle of the woods wouldn't draw attention, would it?
  21. MiddleWolf

MiddleWolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    Only 2 kinds feed off of paranoia. Those wishing to cause it and the media wishing to profit from it.
  22. Ralph

Ralph Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have got to ask what was the deputy smoking? Looked like it was plugged in? Yeah, unless Verkstad was right; what in the place of eternal punishment was it plugged into?
  23. Hale

Hale Guide

Blog Posts:
    That's hilarious!
  24. GMScooter

GMScooter Guide

Blog Posts:
    This was the first thing I thought of when I read the OP. I hope they did!
  25. Skotelawe

Skotelawe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Believe or not, many cops have a sense of humor.