Gear Storage

Discussion in 'Other Skills' started by Mama Bears Backpack, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Mama Bears Backpack

Mama Bears Backpack Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I must confess. I have become a gear horder. I need your ideas , pictures, videos, anything on your gear storage.

I need to organize this spreading concern. Please share your methods and ideas.
  2. rsnurkle

rsnurkle Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    A great thread on this topic: The Cave & Your System....

One of the ideas I've taken away from that thread is that your organization can be structured to make it easier to get outside (or to get started on projects), if you organize by function for all your gear generally, but pull out specific/oft-used gear to create a ready/mostly packed set of items. This can help deal with the problem where making things fit into storage makes them harder to get out or put away.
  3. Makarov

Makarov Scout

Blog Posts:
    first is sell off what you really don't need. then before you buy more ask yourself before you buy, What will this do that my _______ wont? once you get your stuff to a reasonable size, I find that boxing (I use fishing tackle or tool boxes) by use helps a lot. I sort the tools by what I use them for, Knives in one. Leather tools in another etc.
    I always keep the basics in my pack so it is ready to go, then add what I need for a specific trip before I go. as far as other stuff, limit your space and if you buy somthing, somthing else gets sold or thrown away.

good luck
    bacpacjac likes this.
  4. Nakadnu

Nakadnu OBSERVER Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have a B.O.B. Bushcraft Outing Bag. It is a backpack with all the gear I need for a last minute daywalk or afternoon in the woods. When I have time to get out for a short while I can grab this bag and go. The remainder of my gear is stored in various plastic tubs, trays and toolboxes clearly labeled as to contents with masking tape and a sharpie.
    I don't have a shop, garage or big storage area so compactness and easy ID makes things easier. If you have the space, the time and the ability a dedicated set of shelves and hangers is the way to go.
  5. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    First, buy a sign for the door, "Abandon all hope ye who enter here"...

Second, check out the aforementioned "gear cave" thread.

Acquiring a room for this endeavor is fairly critical... I finally got one when my eldest moved out to college.

Looking in the doorway. I can fit my deerstand underneath in the off season, along with cooler, water jugs, and a ton of other stuff. The table is an old DR one on a pedestal. It's pushed all the way into the corner, as is the top, which being offset now, allows for me to sit at the edge anywhere like a breakfast bar. Very handy for sewing or other projects.
    IMG_6949.JPG

Far corner. That dresser is pretty full too... "stuff", an entire drawer of containers, two drawers of hunting and winterish clothing, bottom one is kinda empty. My gun safe will sit in that corner when I get one. IMG_6950.JPG

This bed is gone now, replaced by a huge cedar chest with 3x full length shelves above it. Top shelf is all my dad's old tools and natural materials. IMG_6951.JPG

The bulletin board is up on the wall now, with maps of my haunts. The animal bits are gone (daughter took them to college) but the bookshelf is still full. IMG_6952.JPG

Inside the closet, I have this on one side, and can hang stuff on the other side. IMG_6953.JPG
  6. melbolt65

melbolt65 Scout

Blog Posts:
    If you have extra space on a back wall of a garage, shelves work great for this. Packs, sleeping bags, etc. Really any room that is used for storage, shelves add the vertical storage space that usually goes to waste.

[​IMG]
    Subdood, BillyBogota and rsnurkle like this.
  7. rsnurkle

Blog Posts:
    This is a good example: clear storage bins with labels have made a huge difference for me personally in organization. If you have the space for them, try them out!
    Seeker likes this.
  8. BillyBogota

BillyBogota Functional Weirdo Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I picked up some plastic shelving, plastic bins (with masking tape labels for now) and garment racks at a local big box store -- It helped get everything into categories at least, so I can grab the "Fire", "Food", or "Cordage" bin off the shelf depending on what I'm looking for. Also, certain go-to items will get hung up on the wall for easy access. Another thing not in the pics below that I've added is a good sized layout table, makes packing out for trips much easier when I can see all my gear in one shot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a 32X36 metal shop. it has shelves and places to store stuff. But most of my materials things like bags and packs camo and sleeping bags and quits and such are in big plastic boxes up on a mezzanine. I don't like mice getting into my cloth materials.
    Subdood likes this.
  10. James of Arc

James of Arc Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You tell me and we will both know.

What I do is I go backpacking and if its too heavy for me to want to carry it again it get sold. If it cant fit in my pack and I actually use it I get rid of it or put it aside to help somebody else later.

O my goodness, it looks like my sons room but he has to have everything from every era. Not only does he have modern battle/tactical gear but he also has to have every camo pattern from every era ever made. Last week a box showed up and it was two old Vietnam era Para shoots and not just the canapé but it was the whole thing including the back up shoots. I asked if he was actually going to use them and he said no but that he needed them.

His mom gave him about 20 military magazines from Iraq plus he has lots of p mags but for Christmas he wants 7 more military issue mags to be dedicated to his new build, a Vietnam era M-16, cant his old ones work, no, they are dedicated to something else. You guys need to get a place together.
  11. Subdood

Subdood Ex-bubblehead Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'm gonna show my wife this pic next time she saysI have "to much junk"! Very nice!

Organizing my little slice of the basement (aka my "Shop" is one of my recuperation projects. Watching with interest. And I can also agree to looking at the aforementioned post. I think it was Crazysanman who originated it?
    beacon, Pastor Chris and BillyBogota like this.
  12. BillyBogota

Blog Posts:
    Most of my stuff is left over from a previous profession -- I'm sorting out a lot of things that will go up for sale or trade once all the holiday madness is over. There's a cut off parachute around here somewhere, though.

I didn't add the picture of all the footlockers under the stairs.....thats where most of the junk is;)
    Subdood likes this.
  13. Subdood

Subdood Ex-bubblehead Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I seriously meant that with the utmost respect! I am a disorganized mess. Which in reality is a bit of a surprise for a career Submariner. Maybe I just got spoiled with all the space!
    BillyBogota likes this.
  14. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Hardwoodsman Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
  15. BillyBogota

Blog Posts:
    No worries -- the footlockers are actually another part of the storage "system". They're what I use for "deep storage" -- so thats where the heavy winter stuff goes during the warmer months, and any pieces of gear that have a very specific use or only come out a few times a year. This keeps the clutter down, and allows me to have all my gear specific to the current season out and readily available.
    Subdood likes this.
  16. NJHeart2Heart

NJHeart2Heart "NJ Chatty Girl" :) Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't have all that much, and that's good because I definitely have a problem with collecting stuff!
    The stuff I do have is in clear storage boxes with label holders which allow the labels to be easily interchanged - so if a shoebox becomes too small, I can just dump it in a "double high shoe box", and stick the label in the holder for that box. They're stored on a few shelves in my basement. and share the space with a LOT of other hobbies..
    No pics and I'm at work, but I'll try to post a few when I get home.
    Wasp and BillyBogota like this.
  17. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What are your store hours?
    GreenFrog, Berner9, Subdood and 4 others like this.
  18. BillyBogota

Blog Posts:
    From "Coffee's on!" to "Your wife just called again"
    Subdood and Seacapt. like this.
  19. Mama Bears Backpack

Blog Posts:
    I also am limited in space. Somehow, this has to go into a dining room cabinet. And I do like to have a day pack ready to go, but I always swap out the gear with my favorite gear moving back and forth for each trip. I guess I could eliminate a bunch of gear and just keep duplicates of my favorites ready to go in each pack. Then all have to do is pop in the sleeping bag, clothes, and food and be on my way...... In theory..
    Backyard, Nakadnu and rsnurkle like this.
  20. Mama Bears Backpack

Blog Posts:
    Your shop is bigger than my house. With no basement and no garage....
    NJHeart2Heart likes this.
  21. rsnurkle

Blog Posts:
    Then it sounds like it would be even more useful to utilize Cro's system: store your favorite gear in easily transferable containers (like the pullouts he uses) that can be dropped into your cheng pack of choice, and then stuff everything else how ever it will fit into that cabinet.
  22. CowboyJesus

CowboyJesus Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    i hear ya on lacking space-i once had a "man cave/craft room".....but then the baby came along. now i have half of two separate closets, and have had to get creative.

the over-the-door hanging shoe organizers are great. i've got one on my main closet, and i keep the stuff i need often in there. a pocket for fishing things, fire, first aid, one pocket has a pouch with my leather working gear, etc, etc.

also, look for the unused, overlooked space. i've got a bookshelf in the bedroom, so, behind the books, i realized i could fit some jars i've saved. got jars of fatwood, turkey feathers, arrow components (nocks, points, etc). i've also got some of my pack nestled behind the recliner in that room so they're out of sight (making the wife happy) but easily available (making me happy.) i'd like to get over the door hooks so i could hang the packs up with the closet, but the wife has said no to that idea.

hope something helps! it is definitely more fun to do this when you can actually get to and find your stuff!
  23. crewhead05

crewhead05 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    wow that is nice. Color me jelous. Is that a picture of space shuttle door gunners on your laptop?
    BillyBogota likes this.
  24. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Cowboy Jesus' post about "finding space" reminds me of something... my wife is really short and can't effectively use the cabinet over the refrigerator in our kitchen without dragging over a chair or stool. So this has become my "camping food" spot. I store a lot of my trip-specific food and snacky stuff there, as well as most of my plastic containers (e.g., oil, sugar, and salt containers, cup-a-soup, cocoa, kool-aid singles, tea bags, etc.)

We have a similar unused space over the stove, and the top shelf of most of our kitchen cabinets is "too high to reach... can you come here and get this down for me?"
    Subdood likes this.
  25. BillyBogota

Blog Posts:
    Thanks! They are space shuttle door gunners -- the piece is called "Overwatch", by Nick Foreman, linked below:

Overwatch
    crewhead05 likes this.
  26. Riverpirate

Blog Posts:
  27. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Supporter Supporter Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    Just got the garage organized..atleast the half you can see.
    20161222_183056.jpg
  28. Wasp

Wasp Scout

Blog Posts:
    Lol I've got a closet full of double stacked shoeboxes.
  29. Nonc-Tobe

Nonc-Tobe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    IMG_2691.JPG
    A corner in my "MAN CAVE"
    GreenFrog, Subdood and BillyBogota like this.
  30. Mama Bears Backpack

Blog Posts:
    I've gotten mine figured out, and found today that the new section works well. Ease of use is CRUCIAL. Easy to get out, but just as easy to put away, just like putting a coffee mug and spoon away after they've been washed.

I have a tote full of sleeping bags simply folded in half, tucked under the stairs in a closet. (Harry Potters Bedroom)
    I have tents on bicycle hangers above a stacked set washer and dryer also under the stairs.
    I have larger items like water bottles, bundles of cordage, and stuff sacks on a rack of baskets.
    I have colour coded stacked small totes, clearly labelled inside a cabinet in the dining room.
    I have KNIVES in two flatware trays stacked inside another basket so it behaves just like a kitchen drawer.

I was able to grab what I needed for a day hike outing with a level 2 lesson in mind. I was then able to come home, clean everything, and put it away quite easily.

I am Happy!!!
    20161220_212950.jpg 20161220_212828.jpg 20161220_212655.jpg 20161220_212607.jpg 20161220_212537 (2).jpg
  31. NJHeart2Heart

Blog Posts:
    Great job! Glad you got it sorted out and most of all, that the system works for you!
  32. Eugene

Eugene Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Sadly my storage is gear on top of gear now a days. I've run out of space.
  33. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Scout

Blog Posts:
    I stopped trying to fight it. Outdoor gear has taken over my room long ago.
  34. NJHeart2Heart

Blog Posts:
    Not very bushcrafty, but I LOVE to organize things. I discovered these stick on business card labels which I use on most of my plastic boxes now.
    C-Line business card pockets.jpg
    They're great because they fit on most of my boxes (other than than the shallow ones - have to figure that out) it makes my storage system easily scaleable. "fire stuff" outgrows one box? Take the card from the old box, slip it into the pocket of the new box and dump your items in the new box - done!
    Cheapeats and BillyBogota like this.
  35. Riverpirate

Blog Posts:
    I have now acquired enough hatchets and Axes that I need a way to manage them. Some are nice enough that I would actually like them displayed in the man cave. Anybody got an ideas?
  36. Eugene

Eugene Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Ok, so I guess I can embarrass myself.
    [​IMG]
    Upper left on the shelf in the cardboard boxes are technical books. Then an ammobox with reloading stuff, then the gun tools/supplies toolbox then ammo boxes. The white cardboard in the back has various things like gatorade packets, cliff bars, soaps and other toiletries.
    Left under the shelf are the travel bags and the kids backapcks
    On top of the safe in the blue and black IBM bag is my hunting clothing. The wooden box is the powder and what won't fit in it is sitting in front of it with a couple boxes of bullets. On top of that is some prepped/sorted brass and the chrony. another old backpack is there with fishing gear. Just to the right of it you can see the 1lb of black powder and hanging under that is the muzzleloader shooting bag and powder horn. Archery stuff fits in there too.
    Front right you can see my current backpack in front of the clothes.
    Shelves on the right are mostly electronic stuff such as o-scope, dmm, simpson 260 vom.
    Thats not including tents, sleeping bags, camp cooking etc that are in the garage.

ohh and one light burnt out.
    BillyBogota likes this.