General bushcraft/climbing/hiking gloves...???

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by Archer008, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Archer008

Archer008 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    So here I am outfitting my gear and waiting for spring, and I come across a hiking picture in Backpacker magazine of a guy wearing cool finger less gloves. While part of me hears my dads advice that gloves are good for two things; "wiping your butt and getting lost", the other part of me, (the James Bond/Bear Grylls side) makes me think I need to add them to my gear load out for general outdoor use. So....the hunt is on, finger less or full? Goat skin or cordura? Biking gloves or climbing?

I have no clue where to jump first on the subject so I thought the vast pool of experience here could teach me a few things. Let me know what you use or what you've found useful in the past. Pictures are excellent too! :)

2. RangerJoe

RangerJoe Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    In my mind, it all depends on what your main use for the gloves would be, personally, if it's not too cold out, my favorite gloves are a pair of thin leather work gloves, these protect my hands, and allow me to touch my grill after its been in the fire.

3. Hiker Boy

Hiker Boy Scout

Blog Posts:
    I use fingerless biking gloves all the time when I'm hiking and using trekking poles. I found that they kept my hand from blistering up and gave me a better grip. Around camp and working with wood or a fire, I use leather work gloves(fully) fingered.

4. Archer008

Archer008 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This is what I'm leaning towards. I would say I'm not looking for warmth as much as use for times when you don't want to beat yourself up. Gathering firewood, sliding on scree, climbing over rocks and trees etc... Dexterity would be the name of the game for me, nothing worse than baggy gloves.

Sent from an Undisclosed Location using Tapatalk

5. GA_MTN_MAN

GA_MTN_MAN Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've always carried the Firm Grips with a leather palm that I got from Home Depot. Lately I've moved to full leather (Deerskin) work gloves. I think they provide protection against hand injuries that would generally be a nusance on the trail. I can also cook on the fire easier.

Of course, I'm in the computer industry these days. My hands stay too soft and prone to thorns and splinters. Not like the aircraft maintenance days when my hands were hard enough to use as a cresent wrench.

6. cobra

cobra Scout

Blog Posts:
  7. gunner65

gunner65 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I keep mechanics gloves in my packs

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

8. wingnuts

wingnuts Guide

Blog Posts:
    Unless I need gloves for warmth (in which case I use mittens that fold back to reveal fingerless gloves, I think cabelas?) I use the mechanics typve glove with teather palm and fingers. They provide a nice level of protection without too much loss of dexterity. I like the plain black with tan leather available at wallyworld they cost 14.00. I also like the plain unlined leather work gloves if it's somewhere in between weatherwise.

9. cellis

cellis Post less. Do more. Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Wells Lamont for not beating up my hands any more than they are. You start to get down to layers for cold weather. Climbing is something more. As RangerJoe said what do you actually need them for?

Here's mine for camp.
    [​IMG]

Here's what Rheinhold Messner wore that mountain, whichever it was.
    [​IMG]

Here's what I wore in school and still do when messing about with the smoker.
    [​IMG]

The ones I wore today came from Costco and are great for layering with a pair of woolies over the top that were AF issued and given to me by my grandfather.

Why are you waiting for Spring?

10. gearhound

gearhound Tracker

Blog Posts:
    For most uses I carry either a pair of Nomex gloves, they really allow you to get a good feel for what you are doing and are not too heavy. I also have a pair of Mechanics gloves for the same reason. When I don't need as much I have a pair of fingerless BMX gloves that really do the job.

11. mikejd

mikejd Scout

Blog Posts:

Cobra, Nice gloves but have you used them if so wich ones do you reccomend. They have a few styles.

12. EdD270

EdD270 Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I just use the plain old White Mule leather work gloves for wood gathering and working around the fire to protect my hands. I use the wool half-finger/mitten combo "glomits" for keeping warm, which are available at most sporting goods stores and even K- and Wal-Marts.
    I used to use climbing gloves for rock climbing, but don't climb anymore.
    Get something you like, and use them. Just get out there.

13. Red Panda

Red Panda Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've tried a couple different styles of Hexarmor gloves & find them to be sized weird. I can fit into Mechanix Large gloves & they conform to my hand, perfectly. The Hexarmor felt too narrow, around the palm/thumb & fingers were too long. That was size L, I got the waterproof gloves in XL & they're pretty good, but not for fine dexterity, for me.

I work with tools & fine wires, all day, every day & my best combination is Mechanix with the leather palm, combined with those hunter's mitts, with the fold back mitten & fingerless interior. I also like that they come with a pocket for a chem warmer, but don't care for it on the outside of the fingers. I prefer to be able to hold the chem warmer in my palm & wrap my fingers around it.

Just my opinion.

Here are a couple links.

1)The large size gloves that didn't fit me well.

2)The waterproof gloves that were pretty decent.

You'll need sunglasses to look directly at the waterproof ones.

14. mjf

mjf Scout

Blog Posts:
    I also use my Wells Lamont gloves for wood work, cooking ect. I use my trusty TNF fleece gloves that I cut the fingers off of for general use. And a pair of windproof fleece gloves for when it is cold.

15. Long John Tinfoil

Long John Tinfoil Guide

Blog Posts:
    Out and about in cold but not frigid weather I wear a deerskin work glove. At work this time of year I wear wool fingerless Ragg wool gloves and I put a pair of synthetic knit(?) gloves with a rubber(?) coating on the palm and fingers for mucky, greasy situations over top. In warmer weather I sometimes use a mechanics fingerless glove for some work situations.

Of all the various gloves I've used, the ones that I would recommend for what you're describing would be an all-leather pair of fingerless that I got at a marine outfitter. I never had any blisters, hot-spots or rope-burns when using them to handle lines and crank winches sailing in club races.

LJT

16. Two Bears

Two Bears Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I would like to find a nice pair of gloves myself. I have always used any heavy leather work glove that fit good. I'll have to check out the mechanics gloves.

17. oldsoldier

oldsoldier Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Honestly, I get cheap leather gloves in the gardening dept at a box store. I dont use them climbing or hiking, but for wood gathering & processing, things like that. I dont hike with gloves-if its cold outside, I get those same mittens that fold back, that someone else mentioned. I have waterproof overmitts for them, just in case, too. I have worn that combo down to 0, with no issues. But, working with sharps, and gathering, I go through $5 leather gloves, about once a year.

18. Archer008

Archer008 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Im surprised by everyones answers... Ive been on the hunt for a few weeks now and have come across all kinds of gloves, bit i guess i ruled out plain old leather gloves without thinking. The price is good, but for dexterity and long-wearing comfort i was thinking of something more....problem is that something more doeant come cheap! These things are pricey!
    Does anyone feel atrongly about 1/2 or 3/4 length fingerless gloves? I keep coming across them but cant get past the thought that beating up my fingertips wouldn't be very fun.

Sent from an Undisclosed Location using Tapatalk....

19. Roamer

Roamer Guide

Blog Posts:
    Another vote for the fingerless rag wool gloves. I found some with rubber gripper dots on the palm that are great. I find that, personally, cold hands make any trip less fun, so I bring them on all my trips.

I'm also a fan of the basic leather work glove. I started bringing a pair on many trips because they are useful to protect my hands when handling a hot pot and when doing rough work chopping wood. Going to see if I can waterproof them with Sno Seal. (Footnote: In my area it's become impossible to find a decent pair of basic leather work gloves - or, really, any gloves - that are made in US. Suggestions?)

20. pirogue

pirogue Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Here's what Rheinhold Messner wore that mountain, whichever it was.
    [​IMG]

Rheinhold Messner did'nt need oxygen to summit Everest. He da MAN! He probably just put on gloves for a promotional shot.
    But back to the original post; there are more gloves than ever to chose from. I also like the leather palm, but stretachable finger type from Home Depot. But the best I ever have owned was when I traded a deer skin to a tanner for a pair of deer skin gloves that fit like custom. In other words, sized like 9, 9 1/2, etc., not M and L. Those type of tanners and traders are still around, and not to hard to find with the internet.

21. cellis

Blog Posts:
    He's an absolute inspiration to me. I haven't read his books but have seen every film he as ever been in or talked about him. This guy watched his brother die on a climb and still continues on. It actually was hard to find a pic of him with gloves on for real haha, he's hardcore people for sure.

Back on topic, that is why I posted his pics, and asked what the OP needs them for more exactly. Messner is gonna need a different pair or more likely several layers than most of us when we hike or climb or bushcraft. There is no general glove for this. Will it be cold? Will it be arctic cold? Just nippy? Will you be banging up your hands making a fire and cutting stuff up? Are you at risk of injury of some kind without them?

22. 2stoves

2stoves Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    For basic camp work (gathering, splitting, etc) I use deerskin leather gloves from Tractor Supply. They run about 20.00 uninsulated and when I get a new pair I wet them in warm water and wear them until dry. I end up with a nice custom fit with no blisters during break in.

For cold weather hiking I have Ragg Wool Fingerless with a waterproof overmit if needed. I also wear wrist warmers in cold weather under the fingerless gloves. I even have a pair of fleece that I can work into the mix. In other words, I layer and how cold determines how many layers.

23. Fjall

Fjall Tracker

Blog Posts:
    What kind of gloves are the red ones? The kind of look like The Lodge Dutch Oven Gloves.

24. WoodsJack

WoodsJack Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've got a buncha' different kinds, including some work versions.

For outings, I tend toward just three pair (not at once, usually):

1. Mid-weight goat leather, for general hand protection.

2. Merino wool, for warmth. I've actually got two versions: one with "half-fingers" and the other with "hinged" mitten covers (they velcro back against the back of the gloves when not used.

3. Goretex, insulated gloves, for worst weather.

25. longknives

longknives Scout

Blog Posts:
    3 $ US military wool liners keep me warm into the teens. Wool glo-mitts layered over for colder weather. I climb every day, and the best gloves are Atlas nitrile for ropework

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  26. sargedog

sargedog Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I used to do be a logger, the gloves I found to be the best for me as far as durability, comfort, and being able to pick up small chainsaw parts was a must. In the winter I would just add a pair of the .99 cent brown mule gloves and my hands stayed warm for the most part all day long. They usually lasted me 6 weeks of rough wear, so for what you want they should last a long time. I also have a pair of their winter glove I us on my personal time.

http://www.mechanix.com/hardware/material4x-original

http://www.mechanix.com/cold-weather/winter-armor

27. Hale

Hale Guide

Blog Posts:
    I find gloves to be really handy out in the field. I keep a 10.00 pair of pigskin work gloves with me, they're doing great. In the shop, I use a 2.00 pair of harbor freight work gloves, yeah the cheap ones. They've held together for five months so far. Being dunked in water, handling hot iron, catching grinder sparks. Buy something that works and get the most out of them.

28. Code Red

Code Red Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Cheap Glove Mod!

Just because we love modding things . ...

I got used to carrying my gloves on a carabiner when I was a young pretty Marine. These days I just use the cheap deerskin full leather gloves, but I missed the convenience of having them hanging off my gear.

So, I stuck holes in them near the wrist and put some 1 inch loops of paracord through the holes. No need for grommets or anything fancy. Now I can hook the small paracord loops on the carabiner and clip the gloves on a belt, pack strap, etc ... so they are there when I need them.

I used to wear the Mechanix type gloves for working on trucks, but I don't like them in the woods around the fire. The stretchy part is synthetic, and it does not react well to hot stuff. And the gloves are really hard to get off fast when that happens. ouch.

29. cellis

Blog Posts:
    Those are pottery kiln gloves, meant to withstand high temperatures. Probably similar to dutch over gloves but probably more heavy duty.

30. sawzall

sawzall Scout

Blog Posts:
    mechanic style gloves such as wells lamont has at walmart

31. Roamer

Roamer Guide

Blog Posts:
    Great mod suggestion and an even better point about gloves with synthetic materials like the Mechanix. You could suffer truly horrible burns if gloves like that caught on fire when working with any kind of open flame in camp. This is why firefighters are instructed never to where synthetic clothing.

32. Knighthorse

Knighthorse Scout

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  33. Draven

Draven Scout

Blog Posts:
    Personally, I only wear gloves when it's cold, when I'm handling something very hot or when I need the extra grip. When it's cold, I'll wear anything warm as long as there's no wool on the surface - I find that wool makes it hard to get a secure grip on tools. Leather are suede are good, IMO. As for grip, just about the only time I feel that I need extra grip is when I'm fishing. I have a pair of rapela gloves for that - really grippy rubber palm and fingers, but they ain't keeping anybody warm! Nice alternative to slipping and cutting your hand open when cleaning a fish or chopping one up for bait.

I can kinda understand the fingerless glove thing - I used to have some when I hand-rolled cigarettes, because I could still roll with my gloves on. As it stands right now though, I could only see getting some of the mittens with the tips that fold back and fingerless gloves underneath.

34. Chevrolet4x4s

Chevrolet4x4s Scout

Blog Posts:
    hobart_american_deerskin_multiuse_work_glove_xl_770658.jpg
    These are very comfortable,I get mine as a bonus from Tractor Supply with 2 pairs of welding gloves for around $20
    image_17485.jpg
    These are from Harbor Freight and are comfortable as a general usage glove and around $6

Shane

35. straightpuke

straightpuke Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've been using my Original Mechanix for two years now and I absolutely love them! Living in Southern California, it doesn't get too cold so these are perfect. I've also gone spear fishing with them. Only bad thing was they smelled like fish and so I hand washed and hung dry them and they were like brand new. Great gloves for around $25.

36. DomC

DomC Retired Old Scrub Stomper Supporter

Blog Posts:
  37. dark11crusader

dark11crusader Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like Mechanix gloves, but that's just me. Good blend of durability, dexterity, and coverage I think.

38. Zig Zag

Zig Zag Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    In the Canadian military we were issued a pair of OD green knit gloves and a pair of black leather gloves. Each pair could be worn separately or together. I've always thought this was a good system and it's the one I use today. The knit gloves are good when it's cool out, the leather ones can be worn in wet weather or during the summer, and combining them was good for the winter (here on the west coast of BC where it's temperate weather). Some soldiers would cut the tips off their leather gloves, and wear this with or without the knit "liners" depending on the weather. This did provide better dexterity but you only really had hand protection on the palm and back. I wasn't really into cutting the finger tips off either pair of gloves.
    The leather is important because you can handle hot items, thorns, fir bark, etc. We also used the two pairs together for rappelling as it provided protection and comfort for handling rope. I also improvise black leather gloves that I get from surplus stores by adding little paracord loops on the wrist part so they can be attached to a carabiner and hung from a pack shoulder strap or web gear. For bushcraft and field use I wouldn't recommend the mix of synthetic materials and leather, as others have mentioned the synthetic can melt from heat or fire and isn't as durable as all-leather gloves. Carry some water proofing such as Sno-seal etc for water proofing as well as general maintenance (if you wear leather boots you probly already have this in your kit) and leather gloves can last a very long time.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  39. MercuryFMJ

MercuryFMJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have been on the hunt for some warm but dextrous gloves that have leather or some other smooth water resistant material on the palms so they don't wear out or get soggy when doing work. But I have no such thing and I just keep buying regular knitted wool gloves. They're comfortable but they quickly end up being fingerless gloves for most of their life. I have to wear gloves all the time in the cold months or I get serious chillblains. Last year my fingers swell up a lot and I couldn't remove my silver ring until the summer!

40. Tree Climber

Tree Climber Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts: