Geocaching Gone Wrong

Discussion in 'Geocaching' started by Brownie, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Brownie

Brownie Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Had to call out the bomb squad yesterday for a potential explosive device. Something plastic with a metal wire sticking out of it was stuffed into a two inch pipe access gate right by the lock. All the sheriffs thought it was a device, and we were discussing all the ways it could be one. The expert finally arrives, takes one look at it, stands I front of it, and pulls it out with some pliers. Geocache he says! What the ..........? Made me think of BCUSA ;)
  2. MANIMAL

MANIMAL Guide

Blog Posts:
    ive only been geocaching for a bit of time, less than a year - havent hidden one myself but have found enough to know you dont hide one that looks as you described.....
  3. Opportunist

Opportunist Scout

Blog Posts:
  4. madmax

madmax Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Am I reading this right? Forgive me if I'm not. You're in favor of false bomb alarms if you can laugh at them?
  5. clanmaki

clanmaki Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My wife and two kids found a few caches around where I live but I began to think that as Geocaching gains wider popularity, it is only a matter of time before someone with evil intent either hides a cache that is an explosive or finds a cache and switches it with an explosive or other dangerous thing. There seems to be no way to defend against such a thing happening. We have dropped out of geocaching pretty much. Sad world.
  6. Opportunist

Opportunist Scout

Blog Posts:
    No worries Max,

I understand it cost thosands of dollars to bring out the squad, however I value life and I am relieved when the Alarm is not a true device and indeed a false threat.

We do not need permision to find humor, only the right opportunity. For example I find the instances in this post Ironic.
  7. huntinguy

huntinguy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sad but true. However, You can't live in fear. I personally know a fellow that was in your neck of the woods and got a clip full of go home. He walked into their mary jane patch.

For me, all I need is one sting and I am done for... or darn close to it. I still go out. I figure if God wants me - He knows where I am and that I always walk ready for him to come. Not that I temp Him or anything, but, still.

You just have to ballance 2 Timothy 1:7 with Deuteronomy 6:16.

Live long and well brother. :4:
  8. amusin

amusin Guide

Blog Posts:
    Don't be paranoid. Bombers want big crowds and an audience not one or two hikers and no guarantee the news will even hear the story let alone run it.
  9. beachbunny

beachbunny Scout

Blog Posts:
    c'mon , ya gotta chuckle about the bong thing.....
  10. AncientNCO

AncientNCO Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've had a lot of people ask me about such a thing. I don't see it happening though. I refuse to live in fear. I've gotten to the point where geocaching is no longer fun due to all the urban caches on private property ( parking lot and such). I'll stick to the woods when more caches become available.