getting a Lee Loader Kit

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by leaf and lightning, Mar 9, 2013.

1. leaf and lightning

leaf and lightning Guide

Blog Posts:
    decided that since I am getting a .308, I should have a .308 reloading kit...the Classic Lee Loader kits struck me as simple enough for even me to figure out... I have been told that they are really good for beginning re-loaders to learn the ropes with... thing is, none of the places I looked had them in stock .. I had just about resigned myself to waiting till May or June for something I order today, which I wasn't very happy about, and then, I checked Cabelas, and was happy to find they had them in stock in several calibers, including .308... should have it by Friday... now I just need to finish paying off the gun and bring it home...

2. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Congrats.....

I don't think you be disappointed, I still have and use the one I bought for a .225 win (odd ball) back in the eighties....plus a few others.

Give you a good slow starting point, and be able to learn the steps, at a low cost.

If you only load what you shoot out of your gun....you should be good for a 3-4 go-a-rounds....but watch overall case length....measure each time.

Loading brass you didn't shoot in your gun,.... I have had a problem with chambering, as a Lee Loader only sizes the neck, not the whole case.

3. Yonder

Yonder Tracker

Blog Posts:
    They work well. I started with one mumble years ago, and still use them on occasion just because. I have started quite a few people on them when they were interested in reloading because it seems less intimidating. Have fun ( in a meticulous kind of way)!

4. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Time Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I use mine to load for my .45-70. They work well and once you get the hang of it you can reload a round in under a minute... but you shouldn't rush.

Look on youTube. There are many demonstration videos available to watch. The instructions with the loader (at least mine) leave a lot to be desired. It assumes that you already know what you're doing.

All-in-all, a pretty slick little tool. Easy to use in the field, too.

5. central joe

central joe Scout

Blog Posts:
    been using one for 25 plus years. good choice. joe

6. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Get ready for the ****BANG**** of a few primers!

Nothing to wet your drawers over, but a bit shocking to say the least!

7. central joe

central joe Scout

Blog Posts:
    never had a primer go off. guess i might be just lucky. joe

8. Chris367

Chris367 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    They work well.

Twice a year a group of us rent a state cabin for the weekend. We all shoot .30-06 so we sit around at the table while were talking tall tales and run an assembly line. Have had a few primers go off over the years. When you get into a rhythm you would be surprised how many you can crank out.

9. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Never had one go off either, or heard of any one else have one go off......just pay close attention on centering it when pushing a new one in.

10. Malamute

Malamute Guide

Blog Posts:
    It doesn't take having a primer off center, they pop when centered, its just that last bit when seating them that can make them pop. I had a couple go when first getting the hang of it. Sort of startling, but not dangerous. The best money spent after the Lee Loader is a Lee priming tool, and their powder measure set. That makes a pretty good setup, and a case gauge/cutter set rounds it out.

If your cases grow fat and won't chamber, you may know someone that can full length size them on a bench press if they have 308 dies, then you should be good for a while again.

I started off with a Lee Loader in the mid 70's, and learned the ropes of reloading. I started with 357, then 30-30, and 45-70. Had many happy hours making ammo back then. A couple small shallow baskets make handling brass simple, and for holding bullets when loading. I buy them at the thrift shops for next to nothing.

Good luck with your loader, they are nice tools to start with, and make good ammo. I keep a couple around for portability purposes.

11. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Congrats! I've been reloading for a number of years and still like Lee Loaders for their portability. It will take up very little space and save you a pile of money. You can increase versatility by getting the Lee Case Trimmer and Lock Stud to take care of case trimming then get a portable electronic powder scale for using powders other than those listed with the Lee Loader. You can download reloading data from most powder manufacturers for free.

Have fun!

12. shawnbebout

shawnbebout Tracker

Blog Posts:
    might be a good idea to pick up a pair of safety glasses........

13. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Another affordable and portable option you may want to upgrade to is the LEE handpress which accepts standard 7/8" thread dies. I LOVE mine.

[​IMG]

14. gm42

gm42 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I started reloading and kept on reloading with a little Lee loader for years and years. I could make enough 30-06 ammo in a 3 hr period to sight in and check my sighting periodically and hunt for a 3 year period.

If you already know how to shoot and do not need a lot of range time, this little loader can supply your hunting rounds for the rest of your life.

If you like range time, I would upgrade to a single stage press (this is what I did) to put out more rounds a lot quicker for practice.

I like owning both, I like that if I needed to have a portable loader this one absolutely fits the bill. Also, this loader only neck resizes the case so your ammo may not be able to be shot through another rifle that’s chamber is different. The bonus about only neck resizing is the case lasts longer and is more accurate because once it has been fired through your rifle it’s fire formed to your rifle chamber.

Geoff

15. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    excellent kit ...

16. injun51

injun51 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The biggest thing I used when starting out that kept me from having to do things twice were 2 MTM universal loading blocks.

Start by placing the cases to be reloaded into one of the blocks, keeping the other empty.

As you, decap, full length size, neck size, check for OAL, prime, charge, and set bullets, you will transfer the finished cases from one block to the other. This way you have one block you are working from and one you are placing completed cases into so you never become confused as to which ones are done and which you're working on.

May sound pretty simple but I've seen guys not do this and watch them do some steps up to 3-4 times because they forgot where in the process they left off when stopping in the middle of something.

Works great for me, YMMV.

Just my 2¢

One more thing is try watching some YouTube videos with people using the Lee loader. That way you will get how the process is done from them. Pretty straight forward but sometimes it pays to see someone that's done it a bunch to get ideas on how to make it easier.

Biggest bit of advice is, don't rush the process. This is an exact science. And remember your ABC. Always Be Careful.

And have FUN. :)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  17. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Good point, these had hard on your hand when sizing a full length case, but uses standard dies......can be carried in a small kit, for use on the truck tail gate at the range.

Lees "Anniversary Kit" used to be around $100 bucks and had most everything.......with a single stage press.
    I still use mine.

But we are getting ahead of things.

I still use the Lee Loaders, mostly for loading home poured 12 ga slugs.....

They are a good starting point.

[​IMG]

18. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I do reload all my 410 shotgun shells with my (now discontinued, too bad) 410 Lee Loader which works fine for the limited shooting I do in this size of shotgun.

19. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I know, still looking for one for the 20 ga.....Ebay pricing has be $60 buck and up.....Too bad, these were like $20 bucks back when.

20. Don'tkillbill

Don'tkillbill Scout

Blog Posts:
    I reload my buckshot with a 12 kit I got off ebay and I use a 303 british kit for my Lee Enfield.

Not the rig for 9 mm but it your going to make 20-40 rounds its time well spent. I learned a lot more about reloading using a lee kit than pulling the handle on my turret press.

Have fun

21. Kurt992

Kurt992 Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Brass

PM me if you need a little .308 brass to get started. I have some I do not intend to use.

22. Beal

Beal Scout

Blog Posts:
    Im planning on ordering one of those hand loaders for our 303 brit. soon as I can wrangle up some $$$.
    Thinking maybe get another unit for my 30-06... I dunno.

I been thinking about building a rifle case out of some cherry wood we cut, making it to have room to store a handloader and some supplies. ...Would it be safe to carry around some powder in a gun case?

23. chiefs50

chiefs50 Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    You know I have heard of this but have never had a primer detonate while using the tool. Maybe I'm just lucky.

24. chiefs50

Blog Posts:
    Yes, safe. Just be sure to keep the powder in the original container and follow the cautions printed on it. Cherry wood should make a beautiful case.

25. diannamarsolek

diannamarsolek Tracker

Blog Posts:
    are you going to get ther pack tool it makes life

a lot less hard i got one and love

26. Blazin

Blazin Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've got one for my 30 odd 6. Found my recipe and can load a really nice round with just the lee loader. Only thing I wish I had was an electric powder measurer. Gets tedious adding those last few grains or subtracting them on a regular scale.

27. leaf and lightning

leaf and lightning Guide

Blog Posts:
    the loader came yesterday... Yay... now I just need to finish paying for the gun...

28. alukban

alukban Guide

Blog Posts:
    If you plan shooting cast bullets, you will need a separate flaring tool/rod.

The Lee Loader does not come with one.

You can use a larger jacketed projectile in a pinch.

29. Chazzle

Chazzle Guide

Blog Posts:
    Congrats!
    I have a Lee Loader kit in 7.62 x 54R. I also went ahead and bought the case length trimmer and a chamfering tool. I'm not reloading much on the account of a rifle primer shortage in my area.

30. ACinSA

ACinSA God, Glock & Tracker! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I still use this to load my .308's and my .223's. I would recommend a balance scale to fine tune your charges. I find that IMR4064 powder works best in this round (for me anyway). I use 44 grains to push 150gr Sierra Gamekings. I get an avage of .338 inch groups at 100yds...not bad for a soft point bullet. My wife's Savage 10 Hunter has shot many 1-hole groups with this load.

Good Luck!

31. chiefs50

Blog Posts:
    Not a bad idea.

32. Hank McMauser

Hank McMauser Scout

Blog Posts:
    Savages are known for their accuracy, my daughter's .270 will put 3 on a dime, it wears a 4 power weaver scope with a fine varmint crosshairs.

33. Hank McMauser

Hank McMauser Scout

Blog Posts:
    Savages are known for their accuracy, my daughter's .270 will put 3 on a dime, it wears a 4 power weaver scope with a fine varmint crosshairs.

Also wanted to add that the lee priming tool with the tray is relatively inexpensive and will be a little easier on the nerves than setting them with a hammer.

34. WTWARD83

WTWARD83 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    If you keep an eye out you can find the Lee Load-all presses for around $30-$40 + S/H. I just bought one off of ebay for $36 w/ $20 S/H. The awesome thing about the Lee Load-All is the heads are interchangeable. So you can swap from 12Ga to 16Ga to 20Ga! Lee is out of stock but i just checked and there were a ton on ebay for $30 buy it now and free shipping.

I picked my Lee Anniversary Kit up this last Christmas for $200 which included expedited shipping.

35. donal

donal Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I have two, in that caliber, mine had a little 'chatter', in the powder drop area, of the die, but a drill press, some abrasive paper, and stiff leather was enough to clean it up. Made a little brass mallet, to go with, and keep powder in a decontamination kit-box. O yeah, and a primer pocket cleaner fits in the box as well.http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/images/smilies/4.gif

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  36. donal

donal Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    EXACTLY...fire-forming GOOD...and trimming will be necessary, after quite some firings have occurred...all my kit fits in an old canvas pouch; Lee Loader, in box, powder, primers, a supply of bullets, and primers, with my little brass mallet, and a brass support plate, for rapping against.

37. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Found a Lee Load-all at a yard sale last summer for $15 bucks, with all the inserts....almost a full pound of powder, several hundred 20 ga hulls, plastic cups, and primers....no shot.
    Mostly bought it for the hulls and powder....so don't really use it.

I don't bulk load shells, so the lee loader in 20 ga would be mostly for slugs....

The price has gone up on the Anniversary Kit I guess.

Always check pricing in dealing with Lee directly....their factory pricing is about 30% higher than say Midway...or even Cabales...
    I did talk to them about that, and the lady said that they would rather keep their retailers happy with pricing....but do deal directly, particularly on custom orders.

If you really need something special, and not listed...call and ask.

BTW I did ask Lee about the shotgun Lee loaders...they just sold them, but didn't make them....so are not available from them any more.

38. WTWARD83

WTWARD83 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:

Lucky dog! Why cant i find any deals like that?

Are you referring to the Lee Load All presses or the old school hand tool loaders?

I just received my 12Ga Lee Load-All in the mail yesterday and it is so simple and easy to use!! I knew what I wanted to load so I bought what I didn't already have and before I knew it I had knocked out 30 in no time! The learning curve is almost non existent! **I did consult 3 different load charts before I started, so I already knew how I wanted it set up, and by "no time" I mean about an hour ** The hardest part was remembering to index the hulls while pre-crimping.

Any one know of a cheep place to buy cheap Lead shot? It's running $47 Per #25 here!!!! I would love to make my own but I don't have $300+ to drop on a Littleton shot maker.

39. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    It's the Lee Load All shotgun press, set up for 20 ga...not using it at the moment.....

Bought the set up for the box of primers (209) and a pound of Blue Dot powder...that can use in the pistol shells, as well as shotgun. Lot of powders can be used that way......

Most of my loading if on the single presses, rifle/pistol.

Would like to find a hand press, that uses the normal dies, for a "carry around set up'.....should have bought one when they were under $30 bucks....
    Always keep my eye open when out "treasure hunting"....you never know, what you are gonna find.

40. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Take a look at these only $30.00!: http://lane371.dotster.com/20gauge.html
    [​IMG]

41. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I saw those and bookmarked it, Thanks.......I did see that they have 16 ga and 28 ga as well.
    May have a trade going on for one, sooo....In no hurry, so we will see.

I am glad that someone picked up the torch and carried on....That's too good of a machine not to.

42. leaf and lightning

leaf and lightning Guide

Blog Posts:
    sweet... gonna have to get one of those too, at some point... like hunter63, I am glad somebody decided to make a hand loader kit for shotgun shells... I'm hardly a business expert, but Lee not offering the classic kit for shotguns seems like a dumb move... if they brought them back now they would probably sell like hotcakes...

43. alukban

alukban Guide

Blog Posts:
    If you really needed to do 12ga, you could make-do with nothing more than a nail and a hardwood stick/dowel to decap/prime.

It's pretty much the same with brass cased ammo to be used in the same/one gun also. You can get by with no neck sizing by using a paper patch on the projectile - even jacketed stuff.

Heaven forbid, it may even be extremely accurate! ;)

44. chiefs50

Blog Posts:
    Yep, I reload my .410 hulls ( both the brass MagTechs and paper ones) with nothing more than a Harbor Freight wad punch, wood dowel, block of wood with a hole in it, and a home made depriming tool.

45. Blazin

Blazin Guide

Blog Posts:
    I got his .410 kit. Now if I could find some shot I'd be ok. Thought about purchasing a shot maker.