Giant Mushroom - Is it edible?

Discussion in 'Flora & Fauna' started by ajhummel, Aug 14, 2013.

1. ajhummel

ajhummel Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I noticed this monster in the lawn heading out to work this morning. Just remembered it and decided to go grab it. This thing weighs in at 2 lbs and shown next to one of my sons books for scale. Anyone know what kind of mushroom it is and if its edible?

[​IMG]

2. ajhummel

ajhummel Tracker

Blog Posts:
    With some quick research it looks like its edible. Guess i will have to try it!

Calvatia gigantea
    [video=youtube;fAH3LCyJLSU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAH3LCyJLSU[/video]

3. NorCalHermit

NorCalHermit Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've never found the giant variety like that one, but there are plenty of the smaller ones around my area. Lot's of recipes online, sounds like they are good with eggs. Let us know how it turns out!

4. superslow

superslow Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    So you found a video on youtube and you're going to eat it?.....please let me know where I can send my condolences.

5. mikejd

mikejd Scout

Blog Posts:
    I Found one of them in my yard the other day as well. Not as big though. I popped it out and got rid of it because I am not to sure of shrooms and do not want my kids to grab any that they shouldnt. My 1 yr old will eat his shoes if I let him so a big white blob in the middle of the grass will just be calling to him. Anyway let me know how it is.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  6. riverjoe

riverjoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Slice it about 3/8s to 1/2 inch thick cover with flour or pancake flour and lightly fry in oil for a while then remove it and finish it off on a grill over a wood fire . Red Elm did this at our last fall campout and it was out of this world .

Oh BTW he used a GI mess tin to fry it so maybe you better use that .

Puffballs , Shaggy Mane , Morels are the easiest to ID .

Small ones need to be sliced down the middle to be sure there is no stem inside . Stem inside means it's not a puffball .

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  7. ajhummel

ajhummel Tracker

Blog Posts:
    haha no, although she does seem to know what she is talking about, I am still looking up other resources to confirm what it is. With mushrooms you must be 100% sure of the identification. I found some consistent info on this thing though and seems quite popular for eating actually.

This may be a more reputable source for you http://blog.mycology.cornell.edu/2006/10/26/giant-puffballs-calvatia-gigantea/...but if you want to send a fruit arrangement, my family and I will be glad to eat it.

8. Senah

Senah Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The closest thing it looks like from your very vague picture is a puffball. However, edibility of puffballs ranges from delicious to terrible, and they can be confused with veiled varieties of poisonous mushrooms like Amanitas. You need to buy Mushrooms Demystified by David Arora (or at least check it out from the library) and key out the mushroom. Until you cut it open you cannot verify if it has a veil or not, and to get the sub-species you will likely need a spore print.

9. steve_t

steve_t Guide

Blog Posts:
    Eastern Europe, Asia-Pacific, Homestead in Bulgari
    Yes, looks like a puffball. Great to eat: I have tried emptying out the middle and stuffing it, then baking in the oven.

Main problem is that there is a lot of it for one meal and it doesn't keep too well.....

10. haunted

haunted Scout

Blog Posts:
  11. Fillerhoff

Fillerhoff Scout

Blog Posts:
    Love that you are reading Fablehaven.

12. L.V

L.V Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I do not take opinion if the mushroom pictured is edible or not, but could you dry this particular speciment.

Slice about 1/4" thick slices, put top of the baking paper one layer and put in the owen (or sauna if you have one :) ) oven door open slightly and temperature to about 122 deg.F (50 deg.Celsius). If you have food dryer (Gloth dryer might make a mess ;D ) put the slices there. Use to soups, meat etc..

13. ajhummel

ajhummel Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It's actually my son's but I figured I should be a good parent and be involved with some of the stuff he reads...glad I did, its actually the first novel where I have been able to read the whole book and it was quite enjoyable.

14. ajhummel

ajhummel Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well i would have grilled some and fried some tonight but after cutting it open, the inside didnt look so yummy. Everything i read said the inside should have been white and this was turning yellow, also starting to brown on the other side. Too bad Ill bet it would have been good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Ivan

Ivan Scout

Blog Posts:
    The Giant Puffball (Calvatia gigantean) does not have a trunk like that. Also, it does not look smooth in your photo. Maybe C. cyathiformis?

16. riverjoe

riverjoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Oh yeah . I just looked them up and they have that muffin shape . Still edible according to Mushrooms of North America by Orson K Miller .

17. darinu

darinu Tracker

Blog Posts:
    But NOT edible with that yellow coloration.

18. TWill

TWill Guide

Blog Posts:
    I tried dehydrating puffball mushrooms and the houses smelled like a mushroom farm, the family was not impressed at that and for me the end product was not easy to use. The pieces floated like styrfoam and the flavor was not worth the effort...way to strong for me. The giant puffballs are impressive but a little goes a long way and there are many other much better flavored ones to chose to pick. Figure out what three or four types you might have for your area and become an expert in recognizing them. You should be able to ID only ones that have no dopplegangers in their season and growing condition. For my part of the country I think about morels for spring, coral mushrooms for early summer, sulfur shelf mushroom for midsummer, shaggy manes for later summer and elm oysters for early fall. Anyone of those in abundance take care of my need for mushroom soup in the winter. For those who get frightened by the potential to eat poisonous mushrooms you sure should just go buy the best you can afford at the grocer if you like mushrooms, nothing wrong with it and you can be bushcrafty in other things. Life is to full of good things to stress over fungus.

19. The Stumpy One

The Stumpy One Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I think that pharmacists should have to pass a wild fungus identification course here like they do in France. Just take in what you have picked, he or she tells you what is good and what will kill you, and you slip them a few Euro to thank them. It is an excellent system.

20. PeterCartwright

PeterCartwright Guide

Blog Posts:
    I found one about two weeks ago on our church lawn. I found it's brother in the same place two Falls ago. I sometimes have to peel off the outer skin (which can become a bit thick). Then, I dice them into roughly 3/4" squares and brown them in butter with salt, pepper and a little Mrs. Dash seasoning. They brown up nicely! I often eat them with scrambled eggs. Yum!

PC

21. TedPalmer

TedPalmer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Please be careful consuming mushroom from places that have been chemically fertilized, the can concentrate heavy metals.

22. amusin

amusin Guide

Blog Posts:
    you waited too long puffballs need et while they are still solid white and firm n the inside.

*Missing one clue and a pile of self motivation, if you've seen either of these items please contact me*

23. sk063

sk063 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have to agree with everyone who said anything like " I hope you aren't asking people whom you don't know, if you should eat a mushroom you can't identify" Best case scenario you end up on dialysis for the rest of your days, worst case, obviously death. If you don't know, leave it alone!!

24. ajhummel

ajhummel Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well like I said, I did a ton of research on this thing and very confident it was IDed properly. Another one grew, it was about half the size. Sliced it up then cut into cubes then sauteed in butter and white wine. It was alright, texture of tofu, not so flavorful but I bet it would have been better if I threw in some garlic and onions. I cooked half, ate only a few bites (just to be on the safe side) and cut the other half in slices and tossed in the dehydrator.

I'm alive, and just as everyone else has said, do your research and know what you are eating. Certainly not worth the gamble if out in the bush.