glock 19 or ruger gp100

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by mertmcg, Apr 4, 2011.

1. mertmcg

mertmcg Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Got someone trying to buy my 19 and it has tempted me to sell so i could get a .357 I really liked the power and the way the revolver shoots and the way the grip feels with the left hand over the right hand for revolver shooting just seemed i could hit better more comfortable. Should I switch up I know it would affect my concealed carry but i usually keep in the car anyway.

2. Terrier

Terrier Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have the smaller Ruger SP 101 in 2 3/4 inch barrell. Shoots 357 and 38. Only holds 5 rounds. It is my concealed carry. I am confident with it out to about 20-25 feet. I figure is someone is farther away than that I can just beat a hasty retreat. I'm not looking to get in a gunfight, just quickly defend myself or grandkids effectively if it comes down to that.

I tried a lot of revolvers, and for some reason I just liked the feel of the Ruger in my hands, that goes for the larger one you are looking at as well. (S&W were very nice too) I forget if the gp 100 comes in different barrell lengths, but certainly if you get a short barrell you will not be sacrificing too much in the way of concealability

Never been a fan of semi auto's, but I'm old, and according to my wife, not to bright. She carries a semi auto

P

3. Pinebaron

Pinebaron Guide

Blog Posts:
    Its whatever you're comfortable with doing what you're going to do with it.

4. JTWY

JTWY Tracker

Blog Posts:

Almost everyone has an expert opinion when it comes to which firearm you should get. But the bottom line is this. Buy and use what ever your comfortable with and practice a lot.

My daily carrier ( and I do carry daily and everywhere I go ) is a Ruger SP101 - 38 spl. / .357 mag. with a 3 inch barrel. I trust it and I'm happy with it. I've been carrying an SP101 for a long time now. I first started with an SP101 in a 32 H&R mag, but for a while the 32 H&R mag rounds around here were getting hard to find, so a couple years ago I switched to the 38/357.

JT

5. wildthingmax

wildthingmax Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    IMO if it is a defense gun. the more control, grip, and bullets the better. i carry a 19c because i cant handle recoil well and i would walk down any dark street with it

6. Dano

Dano Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Depending on your use, which serves you best? Have you fired a .357 in that barrel length before? I know several people who think the .357 is hard to control. Is a fast reload (CCW) an issue for you? With just one spare mag, you have 30+ rounds available compared to 12 rounds with the revolver and one speedloader...

If you don't reload, you are probably looking at doubling your ammo expenses if not more, changing to a .357.

Just food for thought....

Personally, I never try to sell/trade any firearms. I picked up extra work once just to afford a purchase.

Let us know what you end up doing!

7. Buckskin

Buckskin Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yahoo! Messenger:
    buckskin066
    I have owned the GP 100 and it is a sweet weapon. I have had accuracy at 50 yards with it. Takes some practice. At 25 yards its plain deadly. As mentioned you only have 6 rounds. But, the .357 packs a hell of a punch. Add a speed loader or two to get you up to 18 rounds. If you can't stop whatever it is with 6 to 12 rounds with the .357 you probably don't need to be shooting anymore and need to be getting the heck out.

8. sarge1967

sarge1967 Guide

Blog Posts:
    One other thing to consider is weight. The GP100 is a heavy weapon. If you get it in a 4 inch configuration it will be harder to hide than the Glock 19.
    When I carried out in AZ I decided on the Glock 23 as my carry weapon. It is the same size as a Glock 19. I had S&W 686's I could carry, I had 1911's. I still chose the Glock.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

9. Cracker

Cracker Scout

Blog Posts:
    Lots of good advice, I will add if this is a woods bumming piece go with the .357, 9mm (IMO) has limited knockdown powerand and penetration(think bear). BUT, I am biased as I carry either a GP100 or a Speed Six out trout fishing or woods bumming, in town it is a SP101. 4" lenght for a GP is easier to carry than 6".

As far as ammo goes, even if you do not hand load, there are many more options for heaving hitting stuff(180gr Buffalo Bore) and you still have the option to load light with 38spc(or +P). Practice ammo is 38 and I do not believe it is more expensive than 9.

just my two lincolns worth

10. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Scout

Blog Posts:
    I recently purchased a GP100 w/ 4" barrel - stainless steel. It's a heavy sucker and very accurate. I also have a S&W M&P .40, which is similar in style to the Glock you have in mind. I am much more accurate with the GP100 and imo, more fun to shoot. I picked up the Ruger for a woodsbummin' gun too.

11. packn_rn

packn_rn Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a feeling you'll end up regretting it if you sell your glock, shop around and get the Ruger when you can.

12. mertmcg

mertmcg Tracker

Blog Posts:
    i have been thinking about my choice and am going to go with the gp100 for my woods hunting fishing self defense gun to replace my .22 pistol and glock so I will only have to carry one gun now. I can load the ruger with snake shot for fishing trips, i could take deer and turkey when in season if i walk up on them and my friend has agreed to give me first rights to buy back my glock if he ever sells it. So I think the Ruger will probably work out for me as long as I find a good holster and belt to hold up the weight.

13. solocanoe

solocanoe Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    your logic sounds great. congrats on your decision!

I typed a reply to your thread twice...and erased both times...both choices are wonderful...it all boils down to what you want. ENJOY! It seems you got the best of both in your deal. :)

14. PeterCartwright

PeterCartwright Guide

Blog Posts:
    Two wonderful platforms with different strengths. I love my GP, but if memory serves, a 4", shrouded GP weighs about 40 ozs. empty. It's possible to carry one concealed with appropriate belt/holster/cover garment. However, it's not a gun I would choose for that role. On the other hand, your G19 is a great concealed carry gun.

The GP excels as a "general purpose" (hence it's name) gun that fires a powerful round from an accurate platform. I think it shines as a woods bumming gun. Mine routinely serves as a truck gun as well.

PC

15. Dano

Dano Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I agree 150%!! If it's friend, how about seeing if you can trade out some sweat labor or make payments to him. Just hate to see you get rid of a good gun.

16. Zengunfighter

Zengunfighter Guide

Blog Posts:
    Should you switch? No.

And leaving guns in cars ain't the best of ideas...

17. Pinebaron

Pinebaron Guide

Blog Posts:
    My Glock 27 gets the most carry. Its light, holds 10 rnds of .40 S&W, is easy to conceal, and is accurate. With FMJ bullets it makes a pretty good woods gun too.

I also have a Ruger Alaskan which makes an excellent woods gun. Its a little heavier than a GP100 (45 oz.) but packs a lot of power and is really fun to shoot.

Both have their place and I can't see not having both. Each has their strengths and weaknesses and depending on what I'm doing will determine which one I will carry.

Like some say I think maybe you should consider having both.

18. Adam

Adam Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I guess it breaks down to what you are using it for.

I’ve got (2) Glock 19s and a Ruger GP100 3”. Both great guns that I really like. My primary focus and use for handguns are CCW and personal defense. The Glock 19, in my opinion, is one of the best handguns ever made, but again for my purposes. Carry guns for me are kind of like hammers. The #1 rule is that it has to be a 100% reliable hammer. If it isn’t much to look at, that’s okay. Beyond reliability being #1, I wanted a gun that was large enough to shoot 1k rounds through at a training class, small enough to conceal, had decent capacity and was affordable to shoot. The G19 covered all these bases and if I had it to do over again, I’d make the same choice today.

The GP100, in any barrel length, is a great wheel gun and very robust. I carry it in the winter some.

Given the choice between the two for a range use and defensive handgun, I'll go G19 every time.

19. docdiaz

docdiaz Tracker

Blog Posts:
    GP 100

I have one and use it as my truck and camping gun since its SS. i love this revolver. Normally i CC with a G-19 and use that since its lighter. Hard decision im glad i dont have to make it.
    Good luck Brother

20. Puffer

Puffer Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I am New to this group, so Please excuse my "jumping in."

I am not an "expert", but have "some experience" in the area ( well over 40 yr.s carrying & instructing. ( I am some what "biased" in favor of revolvers over Semi-autos but each to their own. ) Here are my thoughts.

BTW, I do not own a GP100, but carry regularly a SP101 (CCW & "tuned") but I have some experience with it.

1. The Ruger GP100 is a Great gun.
    a. A very strong reliable platform.
    b. Although "out of the box" not as "smooth" as a S&W it is good ( & a little honing etc can bring it up to "speed")
    c. The $$$ is very good.

The following is based on what I carry ( a S&W 66 or 686 ) but I feel is interchangeable)

CCW = A 4" is ,at least for me is no Prob. I reg. do. (even Kilted)

Field Use - IMO, a Good 4" .357 mag. (s/s) revolver is the best choice - Very reliable,accurate, & the round will "handle" most "situations" you will need it for in the "brush". ( note when in Bear/moose country My carry is a .44 mag.)

IMHO, "dumping" your semi is up to you. CCW = ?? , but in the field = Yes. ( reliability & the 9mm round.)

Puffer

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  21. Puffer

Puffer Tracker

Blog Posts:
    1 more added thought, replace the "stock" grips with Hogue rubber or =.

a. Surer grip, esp. in inclement weather.
    b. Reduces the "conceived" recoil.

I do like the looks of wood grips. ( I have custom for my S&W 19,66 & 686 ) but only use/used for the times I "sport" the gun. ( think dress as a LEO) For duty, field always the "rubber"

Puffer

22. easy

easy Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have been looking at the Glock 23 at the gun range here. I think next time Ill rent it and see how I like it.

23. Pinebaron

Pinebaron Guide

Blog Posts:
    I love my Glock 27. If I were to buy another autoloader it would probably be a Glock 23 or a 22.

24. bleeding.patriot

bleeding.patriot Scout

Blog Posts:
    A stainless Ruger revolver is on my list of guns to buy. I want one in either .357 or .44 for a woods gun.

I won't be getting rid of my Glock 19 however as it far eclipses the Ruger for a defensive handgun. The G19 is lighter, faster to fire and reload, easier to conceal, and has a higher magazine capacity.

25. Buckskin

Buckskin Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yahoo! Messenger:
    buckskin066
    One advantage to a wheel gun if it suits you is no tell on you brass laying around. Unless you reload on the fly.

26. yngona

yngona Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Seems like you have not only already been considering it, but have given it a great deal of thought.

Stick with your gut ..

27. mertmcg

mertmcg Tracker

Blog Posts:
    i don't leave my guns in cars, my wife rides with me and she is with it if i do go in the store or get gas somewhere, also i can't carry 5 days a week till i get home because i work at a place that the government says no to firearms. Usually I am not even out in public unless grocery shopping or at work and that is a short enough time for my concealment.

28. mertmcg

mertmcg Tracker

Blog Posts:
  29. mercop

mercop Scout

Blog Posts:
    As a firearms instructor who owns, loves, and carries both, I don't think the two can be compared. If I had to choose one combat pistol, hands down it would be the G19. If you talk to holster makers you will find that they make about 3-5 Glock 19 holsters for every other one.

If you are looking solely for CCW I would say go with the G19. The GP 100 (or its predecessor I have the Speed Six) is heavy. I think your best bet would be the 19 and then save up to get a Kel Tec 390 or a Taurus Model 85 to back it up or for carry in warmer weather.- George

30. Edz

Edz Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have an sp101 in my car at all times. My main woods carry is a GP100 w/ a 3" bbl. Though more recently i have been packing a glock 17 . I do tend to prefer revolvers, but with the glock and 3 19rd mags I am good to go!
    No reason to not have both right?

Edz

31. mertmcg

mertmcg Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I see alot of people saying this revolver is a good woods bumming gun and alot saying it is to big/heavy for everyday carry. When I am in the woods I end up doing more physical activity than when I am in town. So it just makes me wonder about the weight,,, concealing it I don't think will be a problem but may take more thought to do so.

32. oldpinecricker

oldpinecricker Guide

Blog Posts:
    glock

Shortly I will be picking up an Glock 19 or an HK2000. I think its going to be difficult best your Glock 19. You already own the best tool you can carry in your woods or in town. Great tool.

33. Pinebaron

Pinebaron Guide

Blog Posts:
    I carry my Glock 27 for both CCW and woods carry. I change the bullets though, in the woods I switch to FMJ and around town it JHP.

34. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    From my experience a .357 revolver, using 158 grain SWC or HP loads, is a much better round on small and medium game than a 9mm with 115 FMJ or even 125 HP loads.

The revolver can be used with light 38 spl. loads for rabbit and squirrel shooting, with snake loads where desired, and with heavier magnum loads is capable of taking a deer at reasonable pistol ranges, given a good shooter.

The 9mm. round is a bit less versatile. It's main advantage is having a lot of rounds in the magazine. Absent a fire fight , I cannot see needing more than 6 shots in any real hurry.YMMV.

35. oldpinecricker

oldpinecricker Guide

Blog Posts:
    glock

When I think of modern ligtweight hi capacity mags I don't think of the ability of firefights or throwing lotsa lead in front of me. Rather, to me hi cap mags are nothing more than clean and efficient ammo containers. Just a unit of storage. You can shoot one or two rounds out of the Glock and then reholster just like the old revolver.

Ammunition storage in the handgun itself is one of the advantages of an lightweight hi cap pistol like the Glock 19. You don't need to carry an box of ammo or rounds banging around in your pockets. The pistol alone holds 15 rounds and has them where they should be. If one wants to carry an extra mag or two, fine, as they efficiently hold ammo in an small space, are easily deployed and take up little room.

Another development that makes an Glock really an good choice these day happens to be the huge support and aftermarket goods availible for them. Advantage Arms is one company that offers an 22lr kit for the Glock 19. Small game. Cheap to shoot with an carry gun platform.

What a winner! An proven hi capacity/lightweight pistol that can also be outfitted to shoot much more affordable 22lr.

Now that is cool. Very cool.

36. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I can certainly agree that a Glock 17 or 19 in 9mm is a fine hi cap semi auto. I carry a Glock 45 cal. for duty these days.

The ammo capacity though, waqs developed particularly in view of tactical needs in a gunfight. It may store a lot of ammo, but that is only a major advantage if you are going to need a lot of ammo.

The revolver carrying 6 rounds, on your belt, is adequate for all the tasks a bushcrafter / camper will ever use it for, unless you end up in a firefight with a whole gang of marijuana growers. :)

I prefer to have a box of ammo, with some special purpose rounds (snake shot, wad cutters, and hollow points) stored in my pack. The weight carries better there than on my belt. (I am VERY aware of belt weight, from day to day experience.)

One other minor advantage- again, for me- is that I like a 357 caliber rifle for a lightweight shoulder arm in the off season, and the commonality of ammo is helpful.
    This obviously will not matter to many, but is worth keeping in mind if you plan to get a 357 carbine at some point.

37. Top

Top Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I carry a Glock 26 daily. 10 round mag with a GAP ENterprises base plate rides in the gun. I then carry 1 or 2 G17 mags for reloads. Once it is in my hand I am not worried about concealment.

Not long ago I picked up a new slide and a couple of barrels, one in.40 and one in 357 Sig. These give me great versatility but I can shot the 9 when I want to for economy.

The 357 in the Glock is a powerful round. This capability make the Glock ahands down winner!

38. Pinebaron

Pinebaron Guide

Blog Posts:
    While it was for tactical purposes to have Hi-cap mags, they are also nice for bumming around the bush. A loaded Glock 19 with 16 rounds weighs about 30 oz. compared to a Ruger SP101 (3" bbl) which weighs 27 oz. empty. Loaded with 5 rounds the SP101 would be considered an equivalent weight to a G19 with 16 rounds. Additional weight savings should be considered in that no additional items are needed to carry the additional rounds the G19 has over the SP101 such as speed loaders, speed clips, boxes, etc. To carry a basic load let's say 16 rounds for the G19 and 15 rounds for the SP101 (shouldn't need anymore than this unless faced with gangsta rabbits), the G19 appears to come out on top.

I also don't necessarily buy into the special rounds thing. Example: you're walking down the path, you see a snake, you stop, draw your revolver, take off your pack, dig out the bullets, unload your revolver, reload your revolver, and shoot the snake. Same could be said if you had snake shot and a bear shows up. I tend to carry one round type in my pistol/revolver and use it like it is.

I do agree about the carbine thing though. My revolver is a .44 mag and I have a Marlin 1894 in .44 that goes along with it. It is a nice combo and it is my other woods bumming handgun. I like it because it is fun to shoot and fully capable. While there are 9mm rifles around they are not as common and are often a little more pricey than .44/.357 carbines are. My .44's both shoot the same ammo, a 240 gr JSP. My Glock 27 in the woods sports 180gr FMJ and on the street 180gr JHP.

Depending on where I am going and what I am doing will determine whether I carry my G27 (.40 S&W) or my .44 Ruger. Overall the Glock sees a lot more carry time as it is also my EDC.

It really is personal preference and I am sure that like me we often have several choices as to what we are going to carry each day.

39. Siskiyou Blues

Siskiyou Blues Scout

Blog Posts:
    I am someone who is completely satisfied with what a wheel gun has to offer.
    I have a blued 6inch Ruger GP100 that has been my woods gun and I wouldn't trade it for anything. (Well, except for a stainless one with a 4 inch barrel, for practicalities sake).
    It rarely feels to heavy, and like the versatility of .357/.38/snake shot.

40. Puffer

Puffer Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I carry a .357 mag revolver every day. I guess after over 40 + years, the weight just is natural.

If weight is a prob. for you then I would think about the SP101 3" but not having "good sights" ( fixed ramp ) & the grips, it as the best "field gun ?? weighs 27 oz

Unloaded weight
    GP100 (4") = 40 oz
    S&W 66 (4" K frame.) 36 oz
    S&W 686 (4" L frame ) 38 oz

Thoughts on carry -

CCW - I carry both my "66" & SP101 in a "custom IBW" ( made to place the cylender above my "hip bone" Below is a pic ( note is with a Kilt, so the "belt straps are longer than those worn with my pants )

[​IMG]

Field Wear = always OBW
    SP101,66,686 = a good Belt holster
    .44 mag, = "chest rig."
    Ammo = "Speed Strips" ( load out depends on what I am doing - Idea = 1 loaded with .357 mag. 1 with .38 spl. 1 with "shot" ) carry in a belt pouch.
    BTW, usually use for CCW, as after all these years, I can "reload" as fast as I can with my "speed loaders" + they are easier to carry, IMO.

Sorry, but IMO, for "Field use" a 9mm semi just does not cut it. Unless you are "fighting BGs" then not versatile enough.

Puffer

41. leatherman1984

leatherman1984 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Personally, I'd stick with the G19. If you're selling it you'll probably end up short $ and you may even sink more $ into the venture depending on how much the Ruger is. As cool as wheelguns are, I can't justify carrying one over a Glock.

42. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh Dirt Merchant Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    I would go with the Ruger, but I would trust a rock more than a Glock!
    (too many bad personal experiences with them)

43. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I'm happy with my .357 Ruger Blackhawk. I had a Rossi 971 which was a reliable, accurate, and relatively lightweight K-frame clone but a buddy who lost ALL his guns in a house fire needed it worse than me so i sold it to him CHEAP. With his hounds and his Rossi he keeps his family fed and freezer full of wild boar meat.

I think of a auto as a city gun for 2 legged vermin whereas a revolver more a woods guns.

44. Niflreika

Niflreika Guide

Blog Posts:
    Keep the Glock and save up if you want a Ruger. The .357 is a great caliber, but I see it as better for woods use than everyday use. Too often bad guys are working in teams of two or three or more, and 6 rounds doesn't get it done as well as it used to.

I prefer the looks and style of revolvers better, but I have to bow to performance when my life possibly at stake.

45. Pinebaron

Pinebaron Guide

Blog Posts:
    Josh, all this negativity! You need to take a yoga class :4:

46. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh Dirt Merchant Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Ok the buy the glock...throw it at someone when it falls apart!:4::4:

Me? yoga? Thats a mental picture I cant even fathom.

47. Pinebaron

Pinebaron Guide

Blog Posts:
    I think you would do swimmingly. :4:

48. EdD270

EdD270 Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have Glocks and Rugers, carried both on the job for years.
    If you're having trouble hitting the target with your Glock, it's technique, not the gun. You need some competent instruction to correct whatever you're dong wrong.
    That said, I, too prefer revolvers over semi-autos. I like my GP-100 3", and the SP101 too. Either will hit what I'm shooting at out to 50 yards or more. I still have Glocks, G17 and G22, left over from work, but hardly shoot them anymore. I think the .357 Mag. is the best all-around cartridge for woods bumming and bushcraft uses. Not trying to stir up controversy, just my opinion.
    I've carried 4" barrel .357 mag. S&Ws and Rugers concealed. The barrel is not hard to hide, it's the cylinder that is difficult to hide. The longer barrel makes the draw a little longer, but no problem.
    Get what you like best, and don't look back.