Good Survival School?

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Ian.James, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Ian.James

Ian.James Guest

Blog Posts:
    Hello everyone-

As my high school graduation gift, I requested that my parents send me to do a basic wilderness survival course at a survival school. I have considered the Tom Brown Tracker School, Sigma III and a few others. Has anyone ever been to a survival school? Any reccomendations?

Thanks!!

Ian

2. Stitch

Stitch Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have taken two of Cody Lundin's classes through Yavapai College and would highly recommend them. I would love to take a longer class from his school, but can not afford to take that much time off of work.

http://www.codylundin.com/

3. Shorty

Shorty Scout

Blog Posts:
    I recommend against Tom Brown. Let me first say, I have not personally been to his classes. However, from reading comments online and talking to friends who have been, i think it is a big waste of money.

Tom Brown is a pioneer in this industry and his work on pressure releases in tracking is to this day some of the best work i have seen. But he is running a business and he has traded on his name, and his name was developed with some suspect storytelling...you can find all that info online. My point is i think he is a bit more showman than actuall teacher...in fact, i hear that he is only there for a tiny fraction of the time.

Cody Lundin seems to be the real deal. I am constanly impressed with his methodical output vs input approach to survival that I see on Dual Survival. It is all about how much work you have to do to get calories back in your body - that is EXACTLY the way to look at it. You can spend a week talking about ancient Indians and Mother Earth and all the spiritual stuff, but if you dont have a sound understanding of the empirical information and science behind survival, you will have wasted your time. This is also why I recommend Ray Mears above all others....but paying to get into his classes is CRAZY EXPENSIVE.

I also hear good things about the school in Maine (can't remember the name off hand). And anything in the lineage of Mors is good too.

Good luck and have fun!!

4. Skab

Skab Staff Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
  5. Stitch

Stitch Scout

Blog Posts:
  6. Kerri

Kerri úlfheðnar Hobbyist Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  7. harvey_birdman

harvey_birdman Scout

Blog Posts:
  8. stronghorse

stronghorse Guide

Blog Posts:
  9. The Warning

The Warning Scout

Blog Posts:
    You want qualified instruction that's offered in an environment close to where you live. As good as Cody Lundin's classes are, Arizona is a far cry from Ohio, and all the time he spends on finding and purifying water probably isn't the best use of your time.

10. econnofoot

econnofoot Guest

Blog Posts:
    Personally I've not done one, if I was I'd probably do one with Lundin, just as it's different environment than what I tend to be in....

No shortage of 'schools' out there these days...if it was me I'd use the money to get gear, and try and make a 'gathering' with like minded folks.

11. Walkabout Guy

Walkabout Guy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If you're in Ohio and you want something local, I know there are several options for you. Just google "survival school in Ohio" and click around.

I think that's a wonderful graduation gift! Congrats.

12. Scooter

Scooter Scout

Blog Posts:
    Terry Barney

Never been to his school but took instruction from him at The Hardwoodsman meet last year. Therefore I would also recommend Terry Barney at Midwest school of bushcraft, and as soon as time allows I plan to take as many of his courses as I can afford. If you like some humor in your instructor you can't go wrong here.:dblthumb:

13. abo4ster

abo4ster Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Having been through a basic course with Terry, I can say unequivocally that the Midwest School of Bushcraft would be time and money well spent. :dblthumb:

I have formally trained with Lundin on multiple occassions starting 8 years ago; both through his school and primitive skills conferences. Almost all information relayed and skills practiced are applicable most places... what do you do if it is hot, cold, dry, wet, snow, humid, etc... physics, physiology, and hands-on skills are learned and practiced. And depending on the class you take, you could be in the hot desert addressing hyperthermia, and within a couple hours, be above 9,000' addressing hypothermia; in the case of the AZ Combo class, you do that and the environment in between over the course of a week.

If you train with Cody, you walk away with a knowledge base you will remember, backed with science and experience, and from a philosophical approach that lets you take that information and make it your own, no matter where you live.

Here is a snip-it of my recent visit to AZ...

Winter Wonderland 2012 - YouTube

14. RangerJoe

RangerJoe Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Midwest School Of Bushcraft!!!

I have taken 3 courses with Terry Barney, I couldn't reccomend him enough.

15. J

J Bushwhacker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Midwest school of bushcraft. Ive taken 2 courses with him, and been to the woods quite a few times with Terry. I learned alot and still learn from him. Hes the real deal, a great instructor, with a ton of experiance.

Id love to do a class with Mors and Mears someday. Id also like to go to one of Lundins classes.

I think you should start banging out the bushclasses and try to make a meet or two. Just as much skill at the HW meet coming up as you will find in a class. If you look at the class schedules for that event, you could call it a basic survival class.

I only know of one school in OH, and from what Ive heard from past students, I wouldn't reccomend it.

16. Ian.James

Ian.James Guest

Blog Posts:
    Thanks everyone!!! I really appreciate your responses and advice.

And yeah, I got myself some pretty cool parents. My dad may not be a displaced Lipan Apache, but he's been a backpacker since 1973 and has taught me a lot.

I think Midwest School of Bushcraft is probably my best option. I like Tom Brown and LOVE his Tracker knife, but don't want to spend $800 learning about the spirit world, lol. I could learn just as much about that from eating the wrong kind of mushrooms, hahaha.

Thanks again everyone!! I'll look into the Woodsmoke gathering for sure.

Ian

17. abo4ster

abo4ster Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Almost forgot about Tom, met him a couple years ago, seemed like a nice guy. Friends with Ron Hood (RIP). Don't know anyone who has gone to his school, but he has been in the business for sometime and he is in Ohio. Might be worth looking into if travel is a major consideration. Good luck, Chris

http://www.survivalschool.com/

18. camacho73

camacho73 Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  19. sons of scotland

sons of scotland Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    i have heard nothing but good things about Midwest School Of Bushcraft from the ohio guys. you might want to attend one of our ohio group meet ups, trust me there are alot of skilled woodsmen in our group you can learn from.

20. 7.62

7.62 Scout

Blog Posts:
  21. foxfire

foxfire Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I fully agree with Kerri and all the other member's who recommend Terry's school.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  22. MJDavis

MJDavis Unworthy Field Participant Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've attended Terry Barneys Midwest School of Bushcraft, Bushcraft 101 Course. Very informative and learned a great deal. That's where I'd put my time in.

23. Aquacopter

Aquacopter Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have taken Tom Browns classes and quite enjoyed them. I haven't taken any other classes from any other school so I can't judge how his classes stack up. Another path could be Youtube. Near everything I learned from the school can be found on youtube. The most important thing is dirt time. If your having trouble with a specific skill hit us up hear and we can help you. Great graduation gift! The school was worth the experience though.

24. planzman

planzman Tracker

Blog Posts:
  25. Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze Usual Suspecto Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
  26. niapete

niapete Scout

Blog Posts:
  27. Dirtymike

Dirtymike Scout

Blog Posts:
    Personally I would not do one. I would rather spend hours researching things them trying them myself. For one cost. For two i stumble apon great info all the time that was no where near what I was looking for. Plus I learn from experience more so than teaching. I dont like schedules. i would rather go on a trip, experiment when I want and what I want, 5 times, or 30 times for what it cost to go one time. Woodsmoke sounds more along my lines. But then again, this is my personal opionion today. It could be diffent in a week. But as far as a basic course. I see no need cause of the internet. You can get well past basic for free, with a little homework on your end.

28. ksquared

ksquared Tracker

Blog Posts:
    That school in Maine is Jack Mountain Bushcraft. FYI

29. Sparky

Sparky Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The best bang for your buck is the Dirt Time school in Cali...it's $300 for six days and they feed you all your meals and the food is top-notch.

http://www.dirttimeforum.com/index.php

John McCann, Steve Davis aka Critr gitr from the pathfinder school, and many others teach multiple classes per day.

Tom Brown, Cory Lundin, and BOSS are waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy over priced.

30. draco

draco Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have been looking at doing Cody's school. Sure the Arizona desert is a far cry from Michigan forest but I figure if you can make it in desert conditions you have a better chance of transferring more of those skills to forest conditions than the other way around.

31. Myakka

Myakka Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have been on several, three of Tom Brown's, two BOSS Boulder Outdoor Survival School, and a Simply Survival School. What are you looking for in a school?

32. Ballenxj

Ballenxj Scout

Blog Posts:
    They seem to have the credentials too. Interesting.
    Thanks for posting.
    -Bruce

33. 918victor

918victor Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Here is a little more info on Dirt Time.
    http://dirttime.com/?page_id=388

http://dirttime.com/?page_id=393

It is a long way from Ohio but others closer might be interested. I have been to 3 Dirt Time events and had a good time at everyone. The classes have varied from basics of survival to field crafts and stone age skills to emergency communications. The food is top notch and generally prepared by knife designer and exceptional outdoorsman Allen Jensen and his wife. It is attended by a wide variety of people from buckskin abos to military SERE instructors and everyone in between. For the cost you are basically paying for camping and food.

Matt

34. Ballenxj

Ballenxj Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the additional post and links Matt.
    -Bruce

35. Shone

Shone Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Bushclass is fantastic. The key to all of this is actual dirt time. You can pick up the skills by research, youtube, and this site. But the key is to actually doing things to master them. Learn, practice, and ask questions. Everyone here will help you.

I can safely say that over the last year through research and bushclass I've already gone past what most teach in their basic classes.

36. Sidewinder8010

Sidewinder8010 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have been to Tom Brown's Standard Survival Class. I think it was worth the money. I as well, was looking for a starting point to go from.

The negative comments about native beliefs in his classes should be ignored. I went there as an athiest (and I didn't find he rammed Native beliefs down my throat). His school is about working and living in harmony with nature rather than fighting it. The native beliefs work to reinforce the skills you are learning. What is better: Artificial camo or natural camo? Why did First Nations People wear buckskin? It has to do with what works in nature. Ray Mears has a show all about the history of Canada talking about early European explorers needing to adopt indian clothing, etc.

His classes constantly reinforce what you need to remember when in the wilderness.