got my Dina Arms adapter yesterday...

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by leaf and lightning, Dec 11, 2010.

1. leaf and lightning

leaf and lightning Guide

Blog Posts:
    I got the 20Ga-.44mag... it took them a long time to get it to me(which is odd because they are in PA) but it finally came... and so far, me likey... I took it out and ran a handful of rounds through it this afternoon at 40 yards and was impressed...remembering what some people on here had told me about the sweet spots these adapters had, I kept the stamping on the adapter lined up over the ejector on my shotgun for the first three...it started off about a foot low and to the left, but the second and third shots just made the hole from the first shot bigger... I rotated the adapter 180 for the next 2 shots... still right on top of each other, but 7" left of the point of aim... I was impressed... for barely an inch of effective barrel length, that is pretty darn consistent... my only complaint so far is the empties are a pain to get back out of the adapter... when I have had a chance to get some more ammo I will do a full review...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  2. pat_t

pat_t Scout

Blog Posts:
    http://www.mcace.com/shotguninserts.htm

Another link to adapters. He makes them as long as 18". I've considered his .45-70 inserts for a 12 gauge double a couple of times but haven't talked myself into it yet.

3. ROCK6

ROCK6 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Latherunner makes some and sells them on Gunbroker...I like the size best; his are about 10 inches...my 9mm/12ga adapter has an 8" barrel. You do have to have a decent rod to pop the empty's out.

ROCK6

4. leaf and lightning

leaf and lightning Guide

Blog Posts:
    I looked at those... I liked the idea of a longer "barrel", problem was he didn't offer one for 20Ga in .44mag, which is what I wanted... and I have to say, so far the one I got seems like $20 well spent... I'll need to play with it to find that sweet spot that puts the bullet closest to the point of aim, but I am confident that little adapter will serve me well...

5. leaf and lightning

leaf and lightning Guide

Blog Posts:
    one thing that I forgot to add.... the shot gun barrel seems to amplify the gunshot sound a tad... earplugs are defiantly a must next time

6. latherunner

latherunner Tracker

Blog Posts:
    That's to be expected when shooting a .44magnum in a 2.75" barrel *grins*

7. leaf and lightning

leaf and lightning Guide

Blog Posts:
    I was caught off guard by the fact that when I was checking the legality of these adapters( I was concerned about whether or not the "barrel" length of the adapter fell into the "handgun" category) that apparently it falls into certain municipality's definitions of a suppressed firearm...

8. latherunner

latherunner Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Where's the baffle, which is the defining factor of a suppressor?
    With no baffle there's no suppressor, the law is very clear about that, were one to produce an end cap for the shotgun barrel with an exit hole for the bullet, smaller than the shotgun bore but larger than the bullet diameter, one would have then constructed a baffle and thus might have a suppressor. But produce that end cap so it protrudes from the barrel an inch or so, and drill a vent hole in it's side at the 12 o' clock position, and it's now a muzzle brake.

The BATFE is in charge of that, they wrote the definitions.

As far as the barrel length legality issue goes, the law clearly states "from the muzzle to the extended firing pin in the bolt or standing breech of the unloaded firearm", and thus the barrel length is determined by the length of the shotgun barrel, as in both the case of these adapters, as well as the longer inserts, by definition they are a cartridge and cartridge carrier, inserted (or loaded) into the firearm to be fired.
    Interestingly enough, many law enforcement officials, don't even know the laws concerning these items, nor the legally defining factors of these items, nor the procedures to determine legality vs illegality.

9. leaf and lightning

leaf and lightning Guide

Blog Posts:
    that is good to know... I had been told that some places in CA view any setup in which a bullet passes from one bore to one of a larger dia before exiting the firearm as "suppressed"... since it was supposedly in CA, it didn't sound to far fetched... thanks for setting me straight...

10. latherunner

latherunner Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Don't get me wrong, but fire that shorty in your shotgun and tell me whether it's suppressed or not.

Knowing Kalifornication though, I'll bet that if they found that indeed, your insert doesn't meet the definition of a suppressor, then they'd haul you to court for noise violations, for not building a baffle on the end of the barrel to quiet it down so they could throw you in jail for having built a suppressed weapon.

11. leaf and lightning

leaf and lightning Guide

Blog Posts:
    yeah... kinda like shooting through a megaphone...

probably... I'm just glad I don't live in that state... though if those jerks in Albany get their way, it won't be much different...

12. latherunner

latherunner Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It's only a matter of time.

Albert J Nock said:
    The state is a mechanism by which one class of people live at the expense of another.
    And thus it makes perfect sense that those who live at the expense of others would want those others disarmed, thus that they might continue to rob, rape, and pillage them without fear of resistance or retribution.

13. leaf and lightning

leaf and lightning Guide

Blog Posts:
    amen