Gregory Packs??

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by wacker, Dec 18, 2012.

1. wacker

wacker Tracker

Blog Posts:
    So I've been looking for a new pack for 2-5 day hikes. I recently found through work I get a killer discount on Gregory packs. Cool, however due to there cost I really haven't looked at them before. I'm looking for a light back +/- 50L. I'm 6'2" and looking to carry 30-40 lbs of gear. Less in the future. Do any of you have first hand experience with the below packs?

- z55 or z45
    - Savant 48 or 58

Any other Gregory input or experience would be great too.

2. backwoodstrails

backwoodstrails Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I recently picked up a Gregory Z65. After trying on about 6 other packs, I was surprised at how well it fit. This is my first try with Gregory. In the past it has been a Dana Design Terraplane X and a couple of Osprey packs. I was looking for something lightweight (not ultralight) for 2 to 5 days trips.

I had always heard Gregory packs were for the tall thin guys, however, it looks like their discrimination against us short fat guys has ended!

3. jime

jime Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've always had very good luck with Gregory and feel they are very good packs, although heavier than I would prefer. I have the Savant 48 and use it as more of a day trip winter rucksack. It fits me well and is pretty stable and takes the extra winter stuff that I haul with no problem. I don't have a Z55 but it seems to have a good reputation with through hikers. Very simple suspension that can take more weight than they recommend but not comfortably. 40 pounds is pushing the limits (of comfort) in my opinion. I have a buddy who use one on his AT thru a few years ago and it worked well for him.

While there are lighter packs out there I always come back to Gregory and if you have found a good deal all the better!

4. Jimmythejet

Jimmythejet Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Had a few, and at one time considered them the ultimate pack. There are others that are just as good now, but they still rock, in my opinion. I had the Denali (big - like 90 litres or something), and now I have the 65 l version. Can't remember the model name but it's a great pack. A bit big for most stuff I do now, but sure carries weight well.

I'll go take a look and tell you what model it is, though I doubt they make it any longer. I've had a few smaller packs from them over the years, and they have all been excellent. Can't go wrong.

5. peregrine2000

peregrine2000 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My go-to pack for weekend trips is a gregory z55. Its a great pack that carries it's load well if you stay under the 40 lbs mark. Any much more than that and the pack starts to show stress and breakage. So far I've had the zipper to the top compartment fail and the sternum strap break, both from normal-to-me use (i.e. bushcraft). It is not a bushcraft pack. If you plan just to hike and go from point a to point b and want a well-fitting lightweight and fairly affordable pack, then the z55 is good to go. If you want something a little more rugged, I would check out something else.

6. wacker

wacker Tracker

Blog Posts:
    "I had always heard Gregory packs were for the tall thin guys, however, it looks like their discrimination against us short fat guys has ended!"

Awesome! I'm tall and thin! That's very funny.

Thanks for the quick input. I like simple (less weight/less to break) so the z45 and savants look good. However I like the z series breathable suspension more than the savants. Man, I got to go do some hands on comparison.

7. Beavershooter

Beavershooter Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Pipeline crossroads of the world, better known as
    I have a Gregory Shasta, and have been on numerous outings with it. It fits me well, though it is a bit larger than what you are considering. Definitely a good winter pack. It has a lot of room for bulky winter items. I found mine on sale, previous years model on sale to make room for new year model, and paid $120 for it. I'm not a tall thin guy either, and this pack fit well, and handles 50lbs loads comfortably.

8. BigFootSurvival

BigFootSurvival Guide

Blog Posts:
    A friend of mine owns a Z55, he loves it, carries loads like a champ.

9. Roamer

Roamer Guide

Blog Posts:
    They are not the lightest packs out there, but they have great suspension (robust and comfortable) and are well made. I have a Z22 that I use as a daypack and I really like it. Highly recommended.

10. wingman115

wingman115 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have the Z65 and used it on a week long Sierra Nevada Mountain backpacking trip. It worked great! The load carried well and hip belt worked great.

11. gdpolk

gdpolk Guide

Blog Posts:
    I use a Z55 for anything from 2-5 nights out that I've been using for the past 3-4 years now. It's my favorite pack because it is so very comfortable for your typical hiking. I figure if/when it wears out, I'll probably go with a pack set up for molle attachments so I can use some of my Maxpedition stuff.

12. vagabound

vagabound Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Gregory is awesome!

i have a z35 and love it. It is not the lightest but it is so comfortable i dont notice the weight like i do on some lighter bags.

13. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    He was great in "The Guns of Navarone"! Wait a sec, did you say Peck or pack? :4:
    [​IMG]

14. Alpine Jo

Alpine Jo Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm 6'2" 170 lb. and i have the z55 in a size large. I love the thing it fits great and has enough pockets and space for all my backpacking gear with room left over. Also like that the pack only touches your hips, lower back, shoulder blades and shoulders. Middle of the back doesn't touch the pack so no more sweaty back

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  15. Bax 40

Bax 40 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have only one gregory and it a huge fanny or belt pack, I used it on several hunting trips out west in the 80s and it was bullet proof, some of the water proofing is peeling off after 30 or so years but still sturdy!

Larry

16. Sides

Sides Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a Z55, had it for a few years. It is perfect for a few days. If you to use for longer, it depends on you. How much food and gear do you carry? In my experience, it is food and water that limits you. If you can limit your gear, the Z55 should be fine for a 5 day trip. I plan to use mine for a 5 day trip to Isle Royale next summer. My wife will be carrying a Jade 50.

17. dark11crusader

dark11crusader Scout

Blog Posts:
    If anyone is interested, there are good deals on Gregory packs over at geartrade.com I have the Baltoro and love it.

18. moab

moab Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I just bought the Z65. Very nice fit for long bodies. I'm 6'3". Read the reviews. I would go one size larger if your concerned about weight. Meaning L size not med. lrg. etc. etc. gearx.com had them on sale for $149.

19. lucky67

lucky67 Scout

Blog Posts:
    For this kind of weight I think the baltoro 65 should be a better choice in general, I'm considering it right now, need another one, this pack should be one of the most comfortable in the market today, especially for carrying more than 30 pounds or so, up to 50 pounds also, not the lightest of packs, but the comfort seems to make the load lighter in feel, probably I will know it within a few weeks !

send by mobile device,grtz,Jurgen

20. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Heh-heh! Was thinking the same thing!

21. wacker

wacker Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm leaning more and more to ultra light. I'm obviously not there but I only plan on my outfit weight shrinking so I don't want to go any bigger. I recently did 30 miles in 3 days with a 2650 kelty redwing loaded with just over 35lbs. I've cut that packs weight down to 25 ish with food and water. I don't plan on carrying over 30 lbs ever again!

22. moab

moab Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'd like to add that if your going to go for that kind of weight. You should consider a pack one size up. In all the reviews of Gregory packs I've read. The Z65 is pushing it with over 35lb-40lb loads.

I was also looking for a lighter pack than my former military issue ACU Rucksack. The Gregory Z65 comes in at 5lbs. That's half the weight. So for me they were very light weight. Not ultralight. But lightweight.

23. thesamspot

thesamspot Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Since there have already been some great recommendations here, all I have to say is that there's really no wrong choice of Gregory pack! Make sure it's the correct size, but other than that, if it's a Greg, it's an outstanding pack!