Gregory VS Osprey

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by The Warrior, Jan 24, 2013.

1. The Warrior

The Warrior Guide

Blog Posts:
    Any thoughts about these 2 brands? Going to get a new pack, and was wondering what people thought, especially between the Gregory Baltoro series versus the Osprey Aether series. Thanks.

2. VinoNoir

VinoNoir Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have an Osprey Atmos 50 and I love it.

It's:

-lightweight.
    -has adequate space for my particular load out (held enough gear for a 5 day, 42 mile loop).
    -durable.
    -has a fantastic warranty.

My only complaint is the shoulder straps. They are thin, as to save weight, and after 8 miles, with 40 lbs on your back, the straps dug in a bit. After 5 days it got old, but lessened with the reduction of food weight etc. This isn't a problem on shorter trips with lighter loads, and could easily be remedied by wrapping some foam around the strap where it rests the tops of your shoulders.

Otherwise, I love the pack.

Hope this helps, and good luck in your search.

3. Lars

Lars Angry German Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have an Osprey Aether 70 that I always use when out backpacking. The pack is comfortable, durable, everything is easily accessible, and they offer an awesome warranty. Definitely worth the money.

4. WFR

WFR Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've owned an Aether 60 and it's very close to the perfect pack for 3-4 days if your load doesn't get over the 40 lb. mark.
    I was usually carrying 32-35 and it was very comfortable.
    I've since gone lighter and now use a Go Lite Pinnacle. Almost the same volume but a much lighter pack.

It really boils down to personal preference, fit and the way you like to load your pack.
    Both are good brands.
    Find a store that will let you put weight into them and walk around the store for 30-45 minutes.

Keep in mind that the larger your pack is the more you will carry.
    I have my load down to the 30-33 lb range now for a 4-day trip.
    Trying to figure out how to get under 30 lbs next.

WFR

5. ucgreen

ucgreen Scout

Blog Posts:
    Fit more important than brand

The most important thing to know is which specific pack fits you better--I'm sure one of them will work out. They are both very reputable companies that make excellent packs. I tried on both the Baltoro and Aether and ultimately decided to get a granite gear (nimbus trace). It just fit me a bit more comfortably than the others. I have a friend that backpacks with a baltoro and loves it; says it fits like a glove.

Go to a store that will let you load both of them up and take a walk around in them.

6. wooly bugger

wooly bugger Scout

Blog Posts:
    Both manufacturers make a great product, each with their own individual qualities. They also both have good customer service. The Gregory's tend to fit me better, but I like that almost all of the Ospreys have sleeping pad straps built in to the base of the pack. A good fit is the most important factor in picking a pack so I'd recommend a trip to REI. Good luck

7. Crazysanman

Crazysanman Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Never had a Gregory, but I hear nothing but good things about them. I have an Osprey Atmos 65, Atmos 30, and Talon 22. I love all of them. Osprey makes a great product. You'll need to go somewhere like REI or EMS where you can try them both on with a load in them and see which is more comfortable. That's what it will come down to because they are both outstanding packs from outstanding companies.

8. The Warrior

The Warrior Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for all the information guys, appreciate it. My main problem is, there are no stores locally that carry these type of packs, so I can't try them on. I live in the land of corn and beans, not exactly a hotbed of hiking activity. I read reviews, and it seems the Aether and Baltoro series were the most mentioned. It seems to be pretty much split down the middle. Both have great customer service, are both great packs. Osprey is lighter, but the Gregory is more comfortable, etc. Someone suggested on another forum that I should buy both, and send the one back I didn't care for, if either. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of money.

9. GorillaFeet

GorillaFeet Tracker

Blog Posts:
    We got my son a Gregory Baltoro 70 for Xmas. He loves it, but when I tried it on, the lumbar support felt almost like laying on a rolled up bath towel. When I talked to one of our local outfitters, he agreed that some people like the Gregory and some think the back is too much and prefer the Osprey. He went on to say that the Gregory Baltoro and Osprey Aether (both in 70L) are his two best selling large packs.

GF

10. rb

rb Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've been using the Gregory Z55 for the past few years and would not trade it. It has great capacity, simple features and light weight. I am 6' 220lbs and it fits me very well. I am not a fan of panel loaders, multi pockets or intricate suspension systems. Gregory's are top loaders, usually one compartment with a shovel pocket on the back. The suspention is simple and comfortable.

For me, it's the ideal pack.

11. The Warrior

The Warrior Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm 6'2", 275lbs, and a former weight lifter, so pretty broad shouldered. Someone mentioned that if I were broad shouldered, to go with the Gregory.

12. HeadyBrew

HeadyBrew Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Don't know much about Gregory packs. But I sure do love me my Osprey. I've got a Kestrel 58. Worked fine for up to a 5 day summer trip. It does fill up quick when it's cold though with having to pack extra sleeping gear and clothing layers.

They've got a great warranty on them too, though I haven't had to use mine as I have not had a single issue with it in the last couple of years.

13. Roamer

Roamer Guide

Blog Posts:
    My experience in examining both closely (I also own a Gregory daypack) is that the Gregory packs are built a little tougher: heavier materials, more robust stitching and zippers, etc.

There's also a fundamental difference to consider in the suspensions between the two. Most Osprey packs use a type of back panel (forget what it's called) where the internal frame pushes the pack away from your back and only a mesh fabric panel touches your back. Some like this because it ventilates better. I don't like it because it always feels to me as though the pack is falling off me, and it also contorts the main storage area of the pack into an arc-shaped space that makes it a bit harder to organize your stuff. Gregory does not use this design on its large packs. Instead, a more traditional foam pad rides against your back and there's no air space between your back and the pack. If the foam panel works right this doesn't create a serious sweating problem, but I don't have any experience with a Gregory pack of this type (my small Gregory pack has the Osprey-style suspension and I just live with it because everything else works).

14. gdpolk

gdpolk Guide

Blog Posts:
    Good fit is the most important factor for a pack with any considerable weight. I recommend a trip to a store to try one out loaded down with sandbags so you can feel the weight on your back as you walk around, bend over, and climb some stairs or up onto a bench. I use a Gregory z55 for backpacking and love it because it fits me perfectly and has a vented back to keep me cool since I am very warm natured.

15. chuck g

chuck g Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The Aether does NOT have a trampoline style back, photo on Osprey web site looks like mesh covered foam with ridges.

I have a 20 year old Gregory Wind River 110L backpack, an Osprey Focus 30L urban daypack from around 2005, and an Osprey Stratos 26L daypack with trampoline style back bought 2 years ago. Both manufacturers make good products.

Fit and comfort are more important at this price point than brand name in my opinion. I believe the hipbelt and shoulder straps are interchangeable on the Baltoro, and the hipbelt on the Aether, they can be swapped out for different sizes. Not sure if shoulder straps are interchangeble on the Aether. I believe some outfitters can custom heat mold Osprey hipbelts to you. If you want to get a good fit I think it would be worth it to road trip to an REI or outfitter and have them fit the pack/straps/hipbelt to you. To me the whole point of getting a luxe pack like a Baltoro is you're paying for a comfy suspension and the option of being able to get hipbelt and shoulder straps that fit you well.

16. The Warrior

The Warrior Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks guys. I just discovered last night that there's an REI in St. Louis, which is only about an hour and a half from me. I'll at least be able to go try them on. I can find them cheaper online elsewhere though.

17. Landofrath

Landofrath Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I would also say wait till you can hit a store or try someone elses on..
    I went to the store knowing what I wanted and left with something else.

I own the Osprey Aether 60 and love it, I tried on the Gregorys and my issues with them was there lumbar support.. It just didn't sit right with my build and became uncomfortable in a hurry. This is not something you want to find out 10 miles into a hike. I would go to a good store and try everything on, and don't limit yourself to just though's brands. try them on with weight in them and walk around a little while. when you narrow it down to lets say two packs, Look in a mirror while wearing them. I noticed with one pack I was leaning forward a little to balance it and stood straight with another.. So I bought the one where I had better posture. I never even noticed I was doing that till I looked.

18. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Gregory the Carp vs Osprey
    [​IMG]

Osprey wins

19. WFR

WFR Tracker

Blog Posts:
    When you get o the store ask them to measure your torso first.
    That is what determines your pack size.
    I'm 6' 250 and most of the larger packs I use are M size.
    My torso is 19.5" and that puts me on the borderline between M/L.
    It will be worth the trip to REI.
    Good luck.

20. The Warrior

The Warrior Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks. I had my torso measured at Scheels. It's 21 1/2, the same figure I came up with at home, having my wife measure it. I'll still have it done again though.

21. The Warrior

The Warrior Guide

Blog Posts:
    Went to Scheels tonight. They do carry Osprey, but only some of the smaller type packs. They had a Kelty Redcloud 90 there. Dang, what a behemoth of a pack. 92L:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. The Warrior

The Warrior Guide

Blog Posts:
    Went to REI in St. Louis today. Pretty disappointing actually. I thought they would have tons of packpacks, and cooksets. Had very few. Well, for someone my size anyways. They only had Gregory Baltoros in med. They did have an Osprey Aether 70, in XL I was able to try out. The guy working there was a hiker, and very knowledgeable. As soon as he saw me, he didn't think he'd have a pack to fit me, because, as he said, I'm thick from my chest to my back, and very broad shouldered. Anyways, he measured my torso length, and adjusted the backpack for me, etc. He put 40 lbs in it, and I walked around for awhile. At first, I didn't think it was all that great, but after "acclimating" a bit, I really liked it. He said he didn't feel the Gregory Baltoros would work for me, because of my size. So, that's mainly the disappointing part, I didn't get to try a Gregory on. I wish the Osprey Aether series came in better earth type tones. Not crazy about the colors, but that's probably what I'll end up getting. BTW, the Aether 70 is a huge pack. I may up getting the 60.

23. Bk2 in the Backwoods

Bk2 in the Backwoods Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't own either but alot of the people I know that backpack own osprey and they love their packs.

24. Sides

Sides Guide

Blog Posts:
    Try Champaign Surplus in Champaign or Wildcountry in Normal. They both carry Gregory.

25. The Warrior

The Warrior Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the heads up, appreciate it.

26. The Warrior

The Warrior Guide

Blog Posts:
    Their respective websites don't show that they have Gregory Packs.

EDIT: Well, the Gregory pack locater certainly says they do. Gonna have to give them both a call, see what they have.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  27. The Warrior

The Warrior Guide

Blog Posts:
    I think it would be too small for me. Torso length would probably be okay, but too small otherwise. That was my problem with the Aether 70 in a large size. Torso length was okay, but too small everywhere else. The Aether 70 in XL did fit me well, but damn, those colors suck. They have red, green, and dark blue. I love green, but not that color green:

[​IMG]

28. The Warrior

The Warrior Guide

Blog Posts:
    Ordered a Gregory Baltoro 75. Found one for $220 shipped, no questions asked return. Hopefully it'll fit.

29. The Warrior

The Warrior Guide

Blog Posts:
    Ordered and received a Gregory Baltoro 75. Really nice pack. Haven't quite got it adjusted right yet, but am really liking it, and will probably end up keeping it. I found it for $220 shipped, a great deal. Plus, they have a 60 day return policy. Figured I couldn't go wrong. Here it is next to my Kelty MAP 3500:

[​IMG]

30. Sterling Woodsman

Sterling Woodsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    my buddy has an osprey and he loves it. Check out mystery ranch if you haven't already

31. Roamer

Roamer Guide

Blog Posts:
    Congrats on the Baltoro. I think you'll like it. Post up more pix when you get a chance.

Where did you order from that offers that 60-day return policy?

32. Tevo

Tevo Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I've had the Osprey Aether 70 for a couple years. Good solid pack, carries well. No major complaints though as time has passed i've decreased my loadout significantly so it is usually larger than I need for all but the longest trips. I'm thinking about getting a Kifaru KU 5200...sub 3lb pack with 5200 cubic inches and cinches down well for smaller loads. But the Aether, again, no complaints...it's just a big pack so if you're an ultralight type ordon't need the capacity it may be more pack than you need.

Edit: just saw you bought the Gregory...don't know much about it but it looks like a nice pack!

33. The Warrior

The Warrior Guide

Blog Posts:
  34. Irishgrouch

Irishgrouch Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You wont be disappointed, Gregory is top shelf stuff. I have a Whitney and wouldnt trade it. Enjoy!

35. The Warrior

The Warrior Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks. I'll tell ya, now that I have it adjusted, the comfort is incredible. I still haven't gotten a chance to get some decent weight in it, but still.