Grrr! It's a high difficulty for a reason!

Discussion in 'Geocaching' started by Crazysanman, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Crazysanman

Crazysanman Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I have 25 hides. As a CO it's frustrating for me to spend a lot of time, money, and effort into coming up with a unique hide that is challenging and difficult to find, and then have geocachers say it isn't there because they couldn't find it in a five minute C&D.

I have this one hide, GC2NXJ4, that is in a small patch of woods between an office building and the Washington DC Capital Beltway. There is a small graveyard in the woods with a grave belonging to a wealthy landowner who fought in the American Revolution. The cache itself is a bison tube that was covered with camo duct tape and then wired to a tree branch using green floral wire. There are powerlines overhead that cause GC to bounce a lot. Based on the size and camo of the container, and the bounce from the power lines, I gave it a difficulty 3. It's got about as many finds as it has DNF's so 3 is about right for the difficulty.

This one geocacher posted a note on it yesterday saying "Went yesterday and could not find it. Went out today and replaced the container!!! Woooo Hoooo!!! Cache on ladies and gentlemen!!"

WTH? Looking at his profile, this user has over 500 finds but only 380 "physical caches" with a container to find and only 13 that are a 3 difficulty or higher. He has 370+ that are a 1 or 2 difficulty and only 28 that are a 2.5. So this guy goes out and grabs the easy ones and has done a bunch of virtuals.

To me it seems incredibly arrogant to assume that if you can't find a cache after a few minutes of searching that it obviously isn't there. And to place a new container without talking to the CO first? That's just crazy.

I temporarily disabled the cache so I can go verify that it is indeed still wired to the tree branch and so I can remove the container he left behind. Not all caches are tupperware laying under a pile of sticks!

Sorry, I'm done my rant now. I just had to get that off my chest.

2. gstrand

gstrand Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Totally get that.

I only have one active that I hid, and it's 2300 miles away, has basically been adopted by the locals because it's in a cool spot. It's difficult to maintain them if they are "good old fashioned ammo boxes" and too many people don't take the time to search anymore if they aren't a freaking light pole base cover easy.

Found one this weekend that was at a light pole, but was a camo'd bison wired to the interior of the shrub right next to it. Loved that. Honestly, my kids like them when they are a bit less cliche and more difficult... as do I.

I would go and turn his cache in to a decoy and label it as such. "This is not the cache. This container is a one star hide. It's a 3 star difficulty, silly! Keep looking."

Check this out: http://www.cleverhides.com/2012/10/fakedecoy-geocache.html

3. Crazysanman

Crazysanman Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    There's a cache near me that has one actual container and 5 decoys. I've found three of the decoys so far, but not the actual cache.

My wife and I have been talking about placing a cache for April Fools Day that would have a bunch of decoys and each decoy would have a separate gag with it, like a snake that pops out of the container, or a bright light when the lid is opened, things like that.

4. Davros

Davros Guide Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    That's pretty ballsy. Did you respond to the message he left? I wonder why he thinks he can mess with someone else's cache.

5. UDTfrogman

UDTfrogman Scout

Blog Posts:
    When I see a cache rated like yours (3 / 2.5), I know it will be a fun and challenging hide. I have looked for quite a number of caches at least 5-6 times before making the grab.

6. Shnick

Shnick Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Delete his post.

He shouldn't get credit for it simply because he did not find YOUR cache.
    It's common courtesy to confer with the owner prior to replacing a cache. It's in the rules.

I have no pity for those who don't "get" the purpose of the hobby, nor do I have any sympathy for those who cache just to get the numbers.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  7. bodhran4me

bodhran4me Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Of course verify that the cache is still there, then respond to post. Perhaps a helpful PM to the poster about the etiquette involved when dealing with missing caches will help prevent this sort of thing. It sounds like he was trying to be helpful, just didn't think it through.
    As Schnick said , you should report the lost/missing cache and allow time for a response from the cache owner. I have posted that I couldn't find a cache, but usually presume it is my own ineptitude that is responsible. Sometimes it has been missing , other times...... I have posted that i found an empty cache(found the bottom of the camo'd film canister. The cache owner went out, checked and reported it must have been an old one he had replaced as cache was still there. Went the next day and my young lad had it pegged before we got out of the car.

8. gstrand

gstrand Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Reminds me of one - GC3E9A0 - that we had thought was broken, but was just like the owner wanted. The container was in leaves at the bottom of a deep storm drainage box... I assumed it had been magneted to the grate, and fell in, as I didn't see the fishing line the first time. Owner contacted me and said it was just as it was supposed to be, and I'd have to delete my log unless we signed it, which we did. Went back and did figure it out and sign it. That's part of the game, IMHO.

There is another one really close to home that I know is a tiny bison or the like wired to a branch that I can't find for the life of me. I just know it's there... and I'll be back a fourth time to look soon.

9. AncientNCO

AncientNCO Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I used to get a lot of DNF's reported to me on my cache log. I know it's there and they're in too much of a hurry to look. I'll wait for a seasoned cacher who I know to make the find. If I get folks I know who have been caching a long time and they report a DNF, I'll go check. It seems like it's most of the newbies who have trouble.

10. theNATIVEONE8

theNATIVEONE8 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    NO ONE has any right to replace a cache without the owners permission and knowledge. PERIOD!