Guess I have officially joined the Mosin Nagant club

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Falstaff, Mar 31, 2012.

1. sbkittrell

sbkittrell Guide

Blog Posts:
    I heard that AIM Surplus sells these crates for $10.00 each and Ammo boxes for 4.00 each. I don't know where they are physically located, but here is their website:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/

2. Falstaff

Falstaff Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, it would depend on shipping. I was at an army surplus here in Mesa AZ this weekend and they had missile cases for sale stating that they would make great rifle cases, but they wanted over $100 each!

Looks like they are in Middletown Ohio.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  3. Uncle J

Uncle J Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Ok so i got to shoot Frankenmosin on Saturday and it was AWESOME!! I love it! The recoil with the rubber buttpad is less than my 12 gauge with bird load. It was a pleasure to shoot! i see now why these guns are so popular. i put the scope on it but it's still way off and i wasn't smart enough to bring some optics for someone else to spot for me. Oh well, i will get that worked out in time. This could turn into an addiction!! :) its a real smooth shooter. My phone sent my mosin pics from out of the box into the digital universe never to be seen again. so i will post pics when i get the stocks finished. only one coat of poly on it right now. I've got the fever you guys!!

4. Falstaff

Falstaff Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm hoping to shoot mine by the end of the week. I haven't been able to go out that much for the last month per the visiting MIL. She leaves tomorrow AM early.

Free at last, Free at last, Thank God Almighty, I'm free at last!!

5. Thaddius Bickerton

Thaddius Bickerton Guide

Blog Posts:
    Some of those scopes, the reticule moves when you adjust it so it looks off center. I cannot remember if the M/N ones do for sure but I think they do.

The way I try to get a scope on paper is Pull the bolt out of the gun and put it in a rest or on sandbags where it is pretty steady and look down the barrel at a target at 25 yards till it is visible in the barrel centered in the tube.

Then without moving the rifle, adjust the scope to the reticule is on the same point as the centered target in the barrel.

It should be good enough to get you on paper out to 100 yards.

JMTC< YMMV

6. Holmesmade

Holmesmade Guide

Blog Posts:
    You folks might want to check out J&G Sales up in Prescott, AZ for (coffee table) crates and 7.62x54r ammo.

They've had crates in several sizes stacked up for years and usually decent prices on bulk ammo.

7. on_the_rox

on_the_rox Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Picked up my crate and a few mosins at a local shop that also sells on the internet. They have some unique military items and are not that well known. Here is their address. Maybe they have some more crates. I paid $20 for mine and am very pleased. I love the coffee table. Thanks for the pics.

www.keepshooting.com

8. gaddman110

gaddman110 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I joined the club to, I just picked up a 1938 91/30, and love it!

9. Many Branches

Many Branches Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The Nagants are good rifles. The only reason I don't have one any more is because they are right handed, and are awkward for a southpaw. Savage left hand bolt actions have spoiled me.

10. reloader7.62

reloader7.62 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I bought my M44 about 5 years ago,the old lacquer finish start flaking off so I refinished it this past summer while I was on short time at work. While I had it down I did a few accuracy improvement and worked up some good cast bullet handloads for it. I think it turned out nice and shoot well.

First 5 shot group @50 yds. after a quick scope zero.
    [​IMG]
    Pre S & K scope mount.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  11. Martes Pennanti

Martes Pennanti Scout

Blog Posts:
    My summer project was sporterizing my Mosin. I have a '35 hex receiver Izzy. I got a Boyds thumhole stock, went to Rock Solid got the mount, bolt and screws. I cut the barrel down to 23". I pillar and steel bedded the stock. Got the timney trigger with a saftey. Went cheap with the scope for now. Got a 6-24x50mm Barska varmint scope that was on sale. Bore sighted it last night. Had to shim up my scope though. Gun was shooting low, used the aluminum foil shim's to get it so the scope wasn't maxed at the top. Bore sighted in backyard afterwards. Got some play now. It'll get me close and i can dial it in next time at the range. I only paid a gunsmith to crown the barrel and tap screws for the mount. Cost all in all about 500 bucks including the gun. But I figured i save a couple hundred as opposed to buying a Savage or Remington. Lots of fun. Dont mind the dirty spare bedroom sheets the dogs were all over. I know it sacrilegious of me to some of you, but I love the gun and wanted to keep using it instead of plinking.

[​IMG]

12. PeterCartwright

PeterCartwright Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nice job! The rifle looks great. Most of us who have done a rifle build discover it wasn't to "save" $. :) Let's have some more range reports!

PC

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  13. Ghost Maker

Ghost Maker Scout

Blog Posts:
    Congrats!!! Now that the feeling of gun envy is setting in I may have to cure myself by buying one!

14. pgun1267

pgun1267 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My modified Mosin that I call the Short Nugget :29:
    [​IMG]

15. G.W. Michaud

G.W. Michaud Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Just one, try a PU sniper, A PV sniper, m44, m38, m91, m91-30 and every part and custom jobber you can find. Right now I am finishing up a M91 in a custom walnut stock, heavy fluted barrel, and a big ass scope. got it bad, but hey, if you can find a cheap cannon that hunts all, I don't know what. Like the Lays chip reference.

16. Joel B.

Joel B. Tracker

Blog Posts:

I actually drooled a little bit when I saw this.

17. Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter Scout

Blog Posts:
    @pgun I like what you've done there. And I really like Mawsin Nagons. The more and more I study and learn about these the more I like them. I've got 4. You know...I've read that they have even won Olympic events. I've seen some really highend customs made from them.

Do a search on Finnish M28-76, and the Czech vz54 to see some fine target rifles on the 91/30 action.

Do a search on CBRPS bullpup stocks for the Mosin just for giggles.

'drif

18. Amish

Amish Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think this M/N virus is a very virulent strain. They are fine firearms in my opinion.

19. d-alex001

d-alex001 Scout

Blog Posts:
    just my photo with a rifle
    [​IMG]

20. G.W. Michaud

G.W. Michaud Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Is that a Dragonov laying there, I hate California. Sweet bent bolt though, Is it a Tula P.U. ?

21. d-alex001

d-alex001 Scout

Blog Posts:
    yes there on PU sniper rifles Mosin other sights are not set. in 1939 put PE but they were very few. I now use PU as a backup optical sight. PU produced not only in Tula, it released another 5 plants.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. WillH42

WillH42 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a 1930 tula hex receiver and i absolutely LOVE it!!

23. G.W. Michaud

G.W. Michaud Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Nice job.
    I am partial to the 7.62x54r round and Draganov's as well. After these classes I can finally move off the left coast and rebuild my collection. I bet they are cheap for you over there.

24. d-alex001

d-alex001 Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is Tiger, civilian version Dragunov. Costs between $ 1,400 depending on the model. The photo model for $ 1,400

25. Martes Pennanti

Martes Pennanti Scout

Blog Posts:
    Update to my modified Mosin from page 7. Had to shim up my rear scope ring. Was shooting low with scope all the way cranked. I repeatedly bull's eyed 100, and got a couple at 200 yards. Lot of drop at 300 with the 180 winchester SP's i was using, but i got it on paper. Was running out of time, so i didn't spend a lot doing 300 yards. Next time... but the pillar and steel bedding seems to have worked well.

26. G.W. Michaud

G.W. Michaud Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well, here in California, all that is illegal. Anything with a pistol grip or a mag feed ,high capacity mags, all the finer things in life, illegal. Unless you are a gang member, then it's OK.

27. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Just a note for any of y'all that are going to mount a "scout scope" in place of the original rear sight........lots of them out there, but be aware they won't fit a real early rifle.

http://www.wayfair.com/NcSTAR-M44-M...9380-NCS1207&gclid=CJ6XjKSXlbMCFexFMgodTRAA-g
    As a 1917 Remington Armory Hex found it way home, and had already been "bubba-ized" cut down barrel and stock, bent bolt....I figured a good project rifle......

[​IMG]

The available after market mounts fit the site mount by punching out the pin on the ramp, placing the base between the ears and installing set screws.....base too wide for early sights.
    Found a machine shop that will surfaced the side down to fit...will pick it up tomorrow.

28. Turtlewolf

Turtlewolf Guest

Blog Posts:
    If there ever was an official "bushcraft" firearm I think the Mosin Nagant might be a strong contender, it is the only center fire bolt action that you can strip and repair the bolt with no tools at all. It is reliable to a fault, always goes bang and is in a cartridge suitable for any large game in North America.
    For small fame there are clearly better choices!
    My only current Mosin Nagant is a 1914 dated Izhevsk 1891 that dosen't have a single matching part, restocked and rebuilt in Finland and may have also served in Bulgaria. I picked it off of a friends counter at his gun shop for $100 and it is a keeper.
    It shoots all of the light ball and factory ammunition with about a 150 grain projectile to point of aim that I've tryed in it as well.
    Oh, on the subject of laquer melting and sticking up the bore I must disagree with the commonly quoted myth as I have yet to be able to get laquer off of any cases and haven't ever seen evidence of laquer in the chambers of my Mosin Nagant or any of my SKS rifles.
    I'm not saying it dosen't happen at all, but in my experience I have yet to witness it.
    What seems to happen is the steel cases do not expand like a brass case will and the unburned powder residue seems to glob in the chamber and the build up cooks on (much like some AR rifle issues) and causes the sticky bolt issue.
    What I find helps, especialy on war time firearms of the Russian persuasion, is to polish the chamber, locking lug recesses and the locking lugs. The polished surface sheds gunk better and helps prevent the sticky bolt syndrome.
    With my old 1891 the bolt hasn't ever realy exhibited a sticky bolt but it is certainly harder to lift with steel cased ammunition.
    Also, any rifle that can be used as a ridgepole for a shelter has to be bushcrafty, no?

29. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, and they come with those cool stick in the ground candle holders...........

30. Turtlewolf

Turtlewolf Guest

Blog Posts:
    I can't believe I forgot to mention that! The wiener/marshmallow roaster is the same tool but sadly only the 1891/30 come with those, I'm still on the hunt for an honest 1891 version with no luck.
    Oh, the same multi tool is also a decent large flathead screwdriver.

31. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    i haven't had a m-n in years. you guys are making me want to get another one ...