handle designs and Materials questions...

Discussion in 'Wolf Creek Forge' started by Lisa West, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Lisa West

Lisa West Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Im sorry to bother you guys with all these questions but to be honest I like the feedback and you guys actually take the time to give it :dblthumb:..
    So Id like to hear what kinds of woods you guys like for handle materials?
    What color G10 you like?
    Do you like stacked G10(like orange under black G10, thick not multi layered if that makes sense?)
    What multi layered G10 do you like? (Like orange/black, black/green, Blue/black etc?)
    Shapes? I know handle shape will large depend on the style of knife but Im talking a general purpose say..drop point with a 4" blade here
    Do you like a thin knife handle, thick contoured handle?
    Finger choil?
    Do you like a handle with somewhat of a finger grove like this one?
    [​IMG]
    Or do you prefer a straighter handle like this one?
    [​IMG]
    Just curious but does anyone like this classic belt knife style?
    [​IMG]
    Thanks again guys..

2. Jay Henderson

Jay Henderson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    pleasingly plain. pretty never gets used and is usually pretty only because it doesn't have any other qualities to sell it. bullet proof. and fills the hand well. in fact, another half inch of blade, and the top knife would be about perfect.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  3. ucgreen

ucgreen Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for asking for some input.

Design and feel: My tastes run towards a more "hand filling" handle. For example, Helle knives do a great job of this. I think their shape and width fill my hand perfectly and give me that feeling like the knife is an extension of my hand and arm. The more simple original mora has this feeling as well--which may be one of the reasons people like it so much.

4. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like the handle profile of that second one best, or even straighter with just a subtle swell. I like wood. A lovely handle of birdseye maple makes me reach for my wallet.

They all look good though. One of these days I'm going to order something from you.

5. 2stoves

2stoves Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    If I am going to pretty...which I am normally not...I like curley maple. Very subtle designs in it. Outside of that I like a handle brightly colored so I can find it when I lay it down in the woods by accident. I also prefer the style of the handle on #1. I have small hands and that style just seems to fit better for me than many of the other styles.

6. rlh2

rlh2 Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I am not a fan of finger grooves. If gloves or mittens are worn when using the grooves almost never line up. I do like that belt knife. Beautiful.

7. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    no bolster/guard, and no grooves for me; prefer wood for a tail/tang knife AND full tang scales. simple, simple, simple ...

8. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I like greens, tans, browns, and black for gear colors... but prefer wood for knife handles... just something solid and dependable about it. not a big fan of micarta, but if i had to have it, it should be a two-tone combo of subdued colors. If i want color, i'll add my own with a piece of neon 550 cord.

I don't mind a choil. It has its purpose in a knife design, and I wouldn't choose or turn down a design based on its presence or absence.

I like a small finger guard, like on my Fallkniven F1 (vs a huge one, like on a Buck 119). Not a "big knife" person. 4" blade is about the max for me.

I like a plain handle (vs one with 4 grooves, one per finger), mostly because there's then only one way to hold it, and I may want to hold it differently when carving on something.

9. Crco

Crco Scout

Blog Posts:
    Based on my own observations of the bushcrafting knife community in general .... it appears that finger grooved handles, choils and the like are often rarely well-received. Regardless if we're talking a Kephart, a Woodlore, etc.

Finger grooves tend to limit different handhold configurations which are important in the myriad array of typical bushcraft tasks (carving, whittling, batoning, drilling, etc.).

10. Lisa West

Lisa West Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Thats a good observation..Im starting to think that too..

11. mjf

mjf Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like Jade G10 and wood with a lot of figure. I like a handle design like the orange knife, plain and simple suits my tastes.

12. Wilt

Wilt Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Hi Lisa,

Thank you for putting the feelers out !

My preferences follow Mors Kochanski's ideas very close.

For example:
    • Full tang construction with blade thickness of 5/32 inch (difficult to break).
    • A blade height of 1.0 to 1.1 inches as measured from the spine to cutting edge.
    • Tip of the blade lines up with the center line of the handle or somewhere between the back of the blade (spine) and the center line of the handle.
    • Blade length about as long as the width of the hand (~4.0 - 4.25 inches, OAL about 8.5 inches)
    • Crisp 90-degree angles on the spine of the knife blade so that it may be used for scraping tasks and such.
    • No guard with minimal choil/ricasso area (if at all).
    • Handle length about as long as the width of the hand (~4.0 - 4.25 inches, OAL about 8.5 inches)
    • An oval shaped handle that is not too thick or to thin. (No Goldilocks and the Three Bears jokes here :))
    • Durable pommel (butt plate) if possible.
    • Very plain and smooth handle configuration made of micarta in earth tone colors with wood and antler as second options.

Good examples with these desirable features include Ray Mears/Alan Wood Woodlore knife, Rod Garcia's SBT, and many of Andy Roy's Fiddleback Forge knives.

Mark

13. Woods Walker

Woods Walker Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I don’t care for finger groves or fancy colors rather prefer forest green, coyote brown, black etc etc. Sometimes orange for high visibility. I prefer a shape that is comfortable for the greatest number of tasks. I care not for disco aka flashing things. I like tools.

14. aldern.i

aldern.i Tracker

Blog Posts:
    handles

Lisa,

I have a Bark River Gunny (ramples) with a forest green linnen micarta handle. if you look at the handle it is contoured slightly to fit the hand. Also at the butt of the handle there is a slight curve which i feel helps in different grips ( and gives stability to the user). I do NOT however like deep finger contours. Also the handle is quite filling for the hand. and the linen micarta has a very subtle texture to it which i think helps. I am also an experienced cook and I have never liked knife handles that have sharp angles... ie the Wustof Classic.

I love the color that i have... but.... if you were to supply a class or group order, generally some streak of orange or neon green would help so that the blade doesnt get lost as easily if dropped in the woods. Not to take any ideas, but the Bark River knives have the ability to have two colors, one along the blade very thin and another on top. Although it would be just as easy to use a hunters orange paracord lanyard on the knife if concerned. so idk

Another interesting note for me at least, is that the pins (bolts) for the scales are a bit larger allowing for one to just cut a groove into the pins and replace the handles for different ones/ custom diy ones. (if the found an awesome oak burl on their property they just had to use).

http://www.crystalfallstradingco.com/barkriverknives.php

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  15. Lisa West

Lisa West Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    A lot of you guys have mentioned Micarta, is G10 acceptable? Its a bit more expensive on my end but its so much easier to hand finish :3: Comes in more colors too..
    Though I do like the burlap micarta Ive seen lately..

16. Wilt

Wilt Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Yes Lisa, G-10 is okay too. I really like the Desert Tan color as to me it resembles antler.

Mark

17. VinWild

VinWild Scout

Blog Posts:
    There are so many beautiful handles out there. Some are just more practical then others on a worker.
    As an outfitter, I like G10 for the abuse that it can take over micarta.
    For raw, natural beauty (and the ole' fashion mountain man in me) I'd like to see a laminated G10 in close representation of stag or jigged bone slabs.

A knife that is built to last and take anything you throw at it; yet pleases the eye with a modernized age old appeal. Simple in blade design; quality edge holding steel; full tang construction; handle that fills the hand with removable scales; guard incorporated into the handle design; thickness and OA length large enough for camp duty yet still usable for the finer tasks on fish & game meats; lastly - a top quality sheath that protects, is comfortable in a variety of carry options, and will last !!

That my friend's would be a knife !

18. RangerXanatos

RangerXanatos Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like the looks of wood and earth tones. No choil and no finger grooves. Perhaps a small guard and handle slopes to the edge, not just a 'drop.' Haven't found a purpose of spacers.

I do like the classic belt knife. :)

19. Dhusman

Dhusman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    belt knife

I would be interested buying something along the lines of the belt knife it is stunning