Have you ever waxed a pair of carhartts?

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by hastings, Oct 6, 2012.

1. hastings

hastings Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thinking I'd like to try and wax a pair of carhartt bibs, and I'm wondering if any of you reading this has tried doing that before? Better to learn from others mistakes I figure.

2. Farmboy

Farmboy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Now I'm not waxologist, but my off the cuff guess would be a very heavy pair of bibs. Maybe try one of them thar silicone spray waterproofers? F.W.I.W.

-Farm.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  3. swoody126

swoody126 Guest

Blog Posts:
    ¿ thought about FILSON BIBS ?

sw

4. Wanderings

Wanderings Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have had the same thoughts. Would love to do a pair of carhart pants.

5. sl8farm

sl8farm Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You might end up with something like the Filson Tin Pants. You can buy the wax that Filson uses for the tin pants. It's sold in cans like shoe polish so you can "re-tin" as needed.

6. Swamplife

Swamplife Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I can't imagine anyone actually liking pants similar to the Filson double tin logger pants that I used to have. I gave them away. They were so uncomfortable and heavy and impossible to clean. They were like wearing cheap rubber hip waders, I could feel them rubbing the back and front of my knees with every step. I would suggest not waxing your Carrharts, but I do recommend any Filson product that isn't Tin cloth. I have their wool Western Vest and the Shelter Cloth Levi's truckers jacket.

7. Huntingtag10

Huntingtag10 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Guys used to rewaterproof their carharts by spraying them with hair spray. I don't know if it worked or not. We always wanted them to breath and dry out.
    they're made to work in.

8. Chris367

Chris367 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Picked up otter wax bars off amazon to do a pack I just picked up. Coming out better than I expected, will post some picks when I'm done. Just rub the wax on and then go back over it with a hair dryer. I'm going a little heavy and one small bar was almost enough to do the pack. They ship quick too. Order another bar Thursday to finish up an it was at my house today.

9. Swede6.5x55

Swede6.5x55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a Waxed jacket. Feels wierd, but it was raining two nights ago. I decied to go for a walk. My pants were wet, but my torso remained dry as a bone. If you are going to wax some pants, then it would be a good idea i think.

10. hastings

hastings Scout

Blog Posts:
    10 years ago , I left a job as an arborist and went to work for the railroad. I wore double tins late fall, winter , early spring. I wore them out in the crotch. My climbing harness ate the stitching into non existence. I sent the double tins back to filson for repair. Instead of messing around with a 5 year old pair of chainsaw exhaust covered double tins, filson elected to send me a new pair of double tins instead. Transitioning from my thirties to my forties and from being single to being in a relationship with a woman who loves to cook I needless to say have gained a few inches around the middle. Loved my filson double tins, but if I can wax a pair of carhartts for less money then I'm going to try it. In the meantime I have a pair of double tins, leather bound bottoms size 34 waist , 33 length sitting in the basement waiting to be shipped to one of you fellas for a good trade.

11. ppine

ppine Guest

Blog Posts:
    If you work in the rain, real rain like Western WA or SE Alaska, Filsons are what you need. When they stand up in the corner, they are just getting broken in. Not washing them is part of the mystique. At least three generations of Washingtonians have worn them in my family. My Dad gave me a Filson "Alaskan Tuxedo" when I finished forestry school in 1976 which I still wear.

Waxing Carharts sounds like a good idea.

12. HiWayMan

HiWayMan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I would consider waxing the the whole leg below the knee and the front thigh portion as these are generally the areas exposed to the most moisture.

13. BigDaddyO

BigDaddyO Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Have you done this yet?

Hey Hastings,

Wondering if you got around to waxing your Carhartt pants yet and if so, how did it work out?

I am thinking of waxing part of my Carhartt Bib's as I'm tired of my knees getting soaked when kneeling in the snow.

Thanks,
    Mike

14. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't often work in "real rain" (as described by ppine) but I frequently work in "real snow". I'm not sure how old my Carhartt insulated bibs are but it still takes a lot to soak them through. I rarely wash them, though. That may have something to do with their retained moisture resistance.

15. Red Cell

Red Cell Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Carhartt pants < Filson single tin dry finish pants
    Firehose pants < Filson single tin brush pants
    ___________? < Filson double tin cloth waxed pants?

Is this accurate? double tin pants still stand alone?
    In the corner?

16. BenLilly

BenLilly Tracker

Blog Posts:
  17. Mukluk

Mukluk Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I tinned the legs of some pants that zip off at the knees with a homemade concoction. They work great for keeping my legs dry when going through wet grass, and burs don't stick. And of course the untreated top half breaths, (where it needs to).

18. Guitarist7.62

Guitarist7.62 Tracker Minor age 17

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't wax the entire pant leg. Just the rear end portion, the knees and front thighs. But I wear gaitors year round in the woods, and my rain jacket comes down about 4inches below my front pockets so all the water gets dumped on those areas.

19. Redbearcat7

Redbearcat7 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've done it.

Took all of three cans of Filson wax. Not as heavy as you might think. I wear them it the winter when most clothes that take abuse are heavy anyway.

If they fit right for your torso, being cotton, they are like a good pair of jeans. I waxed the entire surface.