Hennessy Hammock "ZIP"

Discussion in 'Hammocks' started by alarmguy21, Sep 22, 2010.

1. alarmguy21

alarmguy21 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys... after doing what my wife calls, "accessorizing" my bushcrafting gear, many of you have convinced me to move forward with a Hammock and forget the tent. After looking into this, I'm seeing that a Hennessy is probably the way to go. I'm seeing on their website that they've come out with a new one this year that uses a zipper side entrance instead of the velcro middle entrance... What do you have and what would you recommend? also, I'm 5'6" about 155 lbs so reasonably I could go with any of their models yet I'm unsure... (who knows, I might pack on 5o lbs. in the next few years) :29:
    Expedition, Explorer, Backpacker? It's an expensive investment so I want to make a good decision...

Thanks ahead of time for your help...
    Stephen

2. Dano

Dano Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    From what I've read, everyone who has had the conversion to side entrance loves it. If I were to buy a Hennesy, that's what I'd get.

3. Pict

Pict Guide

Blog Posts:
    I was given a Hessesy Expedition Asym and I love it. Very comfortable super easy set-up, great piece of gear.

Mine has the bottom entrance and it took some getting used to. I have always had my pack right there next to me. Now I have to do a little more thinking before I climb in, its like once you're in you're in. I can see how people would like the side entrance, you can't really use the bottom entrance hammock as a seat, something I often did with my simple hammocks.

Bug free sleeping is really nice. Its not as bad here as you would think here bug-wise but having a zero bug environment is solid gold sometimes. Mac

4. AlteredMentalStatus

AlteredMentalStatus Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    AIM:
    bigkingtut@mac.com
  5. kgd

kgd Dr. Fishguts Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I really like my Hennessey, non-zip. I can see the advantage of having a zip version.
    However, if I had to do it again (and I probably will as my wife wants her own hammock), the next one I'll get will probably be the Warbonnett blackbird.

This guy really does a great comparrison between the Warbonnett and Hennessy. Plus, I actually managed to see Bowguy's blackbird and I like it a lot.

YouTube - Hennessey Hammock vs Warbonnet Blackbird Part 1

6. AlteredMentalStatus

AlteredMentalStatus Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    AIM:
    bigkingtut@mac.com
    Thinking about a blackbird my self

7. Cracker

Cracker Scout

Blog Posts:
    I wish I had one when I was in Panama!

I wouldn't be without my Expedition, have concidered the side zip mod but had not pulled the trigger on it yet. The bottom entry does have a learning curve and requires forethought before crawling infor the night but it has definatly grown on me over the last several years.

8. alarmguy21

Blog Posts:
    I actually called Hennessy after a couple of these replies and spoke to a really nice guy. He said that if I were going to be using a thermal pad under my sleeping bag that I ought to get the Expedition with the side zip instead of the velcro. So I ordered it. Free snake sleeve with the order! These guys seem like the real deal...

9. J

J Bushwhacker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Good call. Heres mine. I love it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Hector

Hector Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I prefer my Hennessey's bottom entry when I want a hammock with a bugnet. It's bomb-proof bug protection, nothing to break, easy to use. I don't use the stock "attached" tarp since, IMHO, you should always be able to put your tarp up first (or only) and take it down last.

When I don't need a bugnet I take a plain old gathered-end hammock (aka HAAB, like a Treklite or ENO or Treehugger) to lower the weight I have to carry.

I would only get a Hennessey with a zipper if it also had the bottom entry. YMMV.

11. Grits

Grits Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm about 5'6" and 170 lbs. I have a Hennessy Exped Asym, bottom-entry. Plus an ENO Doublenest with no bugnet. If I were doing it now I'd get a side-zip, or look hard at the Warbonnet Blackbird.

Love my hammocks!

12. Arrowhead

Arrowhead Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I had a HH for a while, I could not get comfortable in the thing to save my life, but that is another subject :) If I use a hammock with a bug net built on it has to have the side zip, it is much easier to get all your sleeping gear arranged. So much easier to deal with all the other gear and you can even lean out and do some cooking on your stove for "breakfast from the hammock" Nothing better than relaxing and eating during a rain storm dry and comfortable still in your sleeping bag or quilt while your buds are out trying to get their stoves to light.

13. Cracker

Cracker Scout

Blog Posts:
    The sidezip definatly helps if you are using an underquilt. Hennessy came up with the super shelter setup that(IMO) eliminates the need for an underquilt

14. alarmguy21

Blog Posts:
    well, being in south mississippi, bugs are a problem just about all year long... the guy from Hennnessy says the zipper model is as awesome as the original... (i'll probably end up with one of each lol... gotta have somethin for the wife when and if she ever wants to go with me)

15. kgd

kgd Dr. Fishguts Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Can't speak to the cooking thing, but I used to have an awful time getting my pad placed under me from the bottom entry after crawling through the womb hole and then getting the pad under my back.

Then I figured out the really simple way to do it. First, place your pad in the hammock (I use an ultralight thermarest). As you proceed to crawl into the hammock from the bottom entry hole, just fold the mattress pad in half so that you crawl up on top of the folded pad. Now, when you swing your legs over the ridge line, the pad just automatically frees itself and the lower half flips down. Piece of cake.

I just haven't figured out the magic solution for the sleeping bag yet, although I mostly use a blanket.

16. stevetexas

stevetexas Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've never had any trouble getting into mine through the bottom slit. I would not mind having a zipper also as long as it didn't weigh too much extra, but I would not want to give up my bottom entry.

I never use a hammock in winter so those problems do not apply.

I find myself getting out of the hammock 2-3 times a night and it's nice to be able to just slide my butt over a little, open the slit and step out.....and then just back into the slit and sit down then pull my legs in and go back to sleep.

17. Cracker

Cracker Scout

Blog Posts:

Bad juju eating where you sleep, liable to find yourself the proverbial bear burito in my AO.

:56:

18. wbfos

wbfos Scout

Blog Posts:
    I absolutly love my HH but I'm sure there are better out there. There customer service is second to none. I orderd in the off season so along with the snake skins they threw in a an upgraded tarp (so I got the hammock, 2 tarps, snake skins, and tree huggers) they wernt happy with the stiching on some of thier tarps that were sent out to customers so the sent me a 3rd one.
    For a sleeping bag (I use a mummy style) Sit in the entrance hole. Put your feet in the bag with the bag zipper undone outside the hammock. Stand and pull the top of the bag through the hole. sit back down and pull your legs (in the bottom of the sleeping bag) into the hammock and lay back.

19. Cold Winter

Cold Winter Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I really like the hammock idea. I'm sick of lugging around a tent in my bag. My questions are, Did your Hennessy come with a tarp that arch's over your hammock to protect you from the element's or did you buy that separately? My last concern would you be able to use this also during winter camping instead of a tent? Because I'm really considering buying a Hennessy or Blackbird (whichever offer's a zipper already integrated into it to zip up a screen to protect you from the bugs) to substitute my tent for good :cool:

20. Malleus

Malleus Scout

Blog Posts:
    I had a fella on the Hammock Forums do a Zipper Mod on my HH a couple years ago & I love it. Gave me the option of birth canel or standard entry & ability to roll back the skeeter net in cooler weather.
    Grits mentioned the Warbonnet. I recently got one & that hammock is the bee's knees not to mention Brandon is a stand up guy. Granted it may take a bit to get because people have found him out & he is up to his eyeballs.

Cold Winter, Hennessy comes with a tarp, personally I'd opt to shell out some more $$ & get the larger sized fly it's nice in stormy weather. The regular fly will do you right in showers or unforseen rains.

21. jonesy

jonesy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    imho if you think youve decided on a hammock .shop some more and be positive. weigh the pros and cons of each hammock and style.. do you want or need a bridge hammock? or a gathered end hammock? Hammocking is a really alot of fun ! tweeking the set up . tarp , whoopie slings , ect ect but if the hammock doesnt fit you or youre needs it isnt very comfortable. so take your time before you decide on which hammock is right for YOU..

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  22. alarmguy21

Blog Posts:
    they come with the extra protection tarp... mine came in, used it... AMAZING!!! dealing with Hennessy was an AWESOME experience!

23. Hugin

Hugin Scout

Blog Posts:
    If you are interested in a Hennessy Hamock, you should see if you can get one from REI. I've heard sometimes that they had demos set up. Even if they don't, they have a really good return policy, so if you don't like it then you can return it. That said, if you order from the HH website then you usually get free snake skins, and if you want you can swap out your standard rain fly for an upgraded one for the price difference. Shiping is pretty fast too.

24. Silverlion

Silverlion Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have the Explorer bottom entry. I plan on getting the 2QZQ mod soon but will keep the bottom entry for the wet tarp syndrome and it helps with keeping mosquitoes out. Nothing like getting up in the morning and sliding your head across a tarp with cold condensation on the underside.

25. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    i got the HH Backpacker Asym. if you're only 5-5, 150lbs, you'll be fine in that. i used the bottom entrance for a few years. i originally used a foam pad for bottom insulation, but it's a royal PITA to use with the bottom entry. so i got an underquilt from JRB that has a slit in it as well. i eventually tired of not being able to reach outside, so i had the Zipper Queen (see previous poster's link) make the mod to my hammock. it's about 4oz heavier now, but i love it.

i like the stock tarp. it's super-simple to set up. even in a downpour, you can get the hammock up in no time if you have the snakeskins to keep it all dry while you set up. however, it is a little small and takes some site selection skill to use to its maximum benefit. if you do it right, you can pretty much tie it out flat, at a slight incline, maximizing the area covered. however, you have to be way back in a thicket or some sort of windbreak, so the windblown rain doesn't get to you. the rain falls straight down then, and the area is big enough to be comfortable under.

i did buy another tarp though, from OES. it's a small company run by a kid who's in his last years of college. great tarp. catenary cut, bombproof sewing and construction throughout. sorta hex shaped. i have one side rigged to tie down almost to the ground (windward side). the other side gets propped up with sticks, like a leanto, sort of. that's my favorite setup. if the weather goes to heck, i can just pull the sticks underneath, and their weight keeps it down on that side.

you can see the sticks in the attached pics. i had the back side up a bit that day too, but you can see what i mean. the tarp is grey.

Last edited: May 17, 2012