Hillbilly blood

Discussion in 'Media Forum' started by adkwalker, Oct 6, 2012.

1. adkwalker

adkwalker Guide

Blog Posts:
    I found this show on destination America lots of bush craft making trades and looking for knife making material 6 episodes that I have seen all good stuff.

2. Amish

Amish Scout

Blog Posts:
    I watched them too. Some good info but I dont think they are real hillbillies. That still set up they showed would produce weed poison and that's about it. The people of BCUSA can filter the info thru common sense, but the general public could get hurt following some of that stuff.

3. BabasBear

BabasBear Guest

Blog Posts:
    Eugene made a series of YouTube videos under the name Trapperjacksurvival...check them out.

4. plumberoy

plumberoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    they drive to nice of trucks to be poor as the show wants you to think
    Roy

5. Amish

Amish Scout

Blog Posts:
    I watched a few of the Trapperjacksurvival vids. Good stuff. The show producers should incorporate these into the show.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  6. NucMedic

NucMedic Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I found it a much better than average T.V. show.
    I grew up near the area in question and did some camping down there while attending the old "Mother Earth News Eco Village."
    The TrapperJack videos on YouTube show a man with a considerable amount of Bushcrafting skills. Some of that is evident in the show.
    Is the show faithfully capturing day to day life in the Appalachians? No.
    The men, as pointed out, are not nearly as impoverished as the show depicts. As noted, they drive nice pickups. Trapper Jack also has a video camera
    and access to a computer.
    Some of the story lines are downright silly, but... the skills shown are pretty good to know. An example is the show where they have to go hunting for food
    or they will starve, so one sits down and carves a bow from a stave. The other goes to the junkyard and gets a leaf spring from an old vehicle and makes a heck of a
    powerful crossbow from it. Realistic? Nah! Good skills to own? You bet! Mind you, in another show they trade a jar of moonshine for a box of rounds for a 30-30.
    So, in reality, they didn't need to craft either a bow or a crossbow. They had a rifle.
    Moonshining... which seems to be the subject of T.V. and movies these days ("Moonshiners" and "Hillbilly-The Real Story" on the History Channel and "Lawless" in the theaters)
    is still illegal. You'd really be silly to advertise you make it on a T.V. show if you were doing it for real. Keep that reality fact in mind while viewing the show.
    Hillbilly Blood is a good advertising tool for them. If they run a school, then their moment of fame will bring them some good business.
    And yes, if you get a chance to watch it, there are some real fieldcrafting gems in the silliness of the show.

7. thencstantons

thencstantons Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    TrapperJack

I have met and spoken with Eugene "TrapperJack". He is the real deal as far as his skills. He is a real person with the knowledge to take care of himself and his family when this country takes a complete dump. His videos on YouTube exhibit just some of those skills. The Hillbilly Blood TV show is intended to show some of those skills, yet also entertain. Those that watch the TV show have to remember that ratings rule the TV world. Editors have the final say. I know some of the things that ended up on the floor, and would have made the show a little more "raw" or "hardcore" but they may not have been as "entertaining", so we got what we got.
    Like I said, I have met and spoken with this man, and he knows his stuff. I look forward to learning from him myself.
    Also, I have seen a few of the knives and all I can say is that I will be proud to carry one when I can manage it.

8. Loogaroo

Loogaroo BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I come from a long line of American gypsies. One thing they all had in common was their trucks were very nice. You had to look good to cheat people properly. Fortunately my father broke the line of cheating, grifting and thievery. I can easily see these fellas dumping any real money they had into their trucks.

9. Exy

Exy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The first season was fairly good.. But the more I watch it the more obvious it is just how staged the show is. Eugene is so uncomfortable on camera, because he's most likely an honest guy and dislikes going along with the act.

10. skarrecrow

skarrecrow Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Spencer 2 Dog also interned or studied under Eustace Conway. He has his own school that he teaches martial arts as well as survival/bushcraft.
    Eugene runs private sessions as well. You can Facebook him about knives and training and he responds fairly quickly.

As far as the show, it's like anything even reality tv IMO. It's scripted to some point. Edited to the vision of the director and producers etc want the viewers to be shown.

I'm sure they signed some kind of contract for a salary to do the show that would help with those trucks. As I mentioned they both taught prior to the show.

skarrecrow

11. darodalaf

darodalaf Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't know about the people in the show, having never seen it, but in my experience, truck quality does not indicate the economic status of the person driving it. Where I work, there are several dishwashers and cooks who are in the country from Mexico on work visas making 8 bucks an hour who drive Ford Super Duty Lariats and King Ranch models, an Audi TT, and other nice cars, all less than a few years old. Despite their nice rides, I would describe them as impoverished. I mean, most of them live in the crappiest neighborhoods in roach traps 5-10 guys to an apartment and except for their vehicles, most of their money goes to mama in Mexico.

Meanwhile, the owner of the business, a millionaire with an 8 bdrm mansion in a gated community drives a 95 Ford Explorer with peeling paint (though he bought his daughters Escalades).

12. wizard

wizard Guide

Blog Posts:
    I like the show a lot. Sure some of it is scripted, what show isn't. I would much rather watch Hillbilly Blood than the crab fishermen. How many shows can you make out of putting out crab pots and pulling them back up? Apparently a whole bunch.

I hope they keep Hillbilly Blood around, it show some good skills and it is entertaining. Never the same stuff, over and over. Last time I looked a 15 year old Nissan was not too luxurious or very pricey.

13. WanderingFool

WanderingFool Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Far and away the best reality show I have seen yet. Regardless of how much it's scripted it is really entertaining to watch these guys figure problems out with ingenuity.

14. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Amen, that's a 1998 Frontier. I thought my 2002 Frontier was old, just shows hillbillies take good care of their vehicles. :dblthumb:

15. Vanitas

Vanitas Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yea all the rednecks where I am from took good care of their trucks. One guy had a GMC from the late 80's or early 90's he has repainted once or twice. It always looked new even though it had nearly 200K miles on it (back in 2001). He did all his own body work when he dinged it up. I would bet that truck is still kicking around and looking good.

16. Hoarfrost

Hoarfrost Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I tried to watch this show for the first time tonight but my wife made fun of the title ceaselessly and I had to change it.

edited to add: I watched a couple episodes on you tube last night and I like it, a couple things don't seem right but it's a pretty good show.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  17. ReallyBigMonkey1

ReallyBigMonkey1 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I figure all shows are scripted but if you want the most realism, HillyBilly blood is way way more realistic than Man Vs. Wild ever thought about being. Eugene and Spencer both seem like Likeable fellas too.

18. Arne

Arne Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Stupidest staged crap show Ive ever seen, the snared deer was a bruised up roadkill, the knives they supposedly made had Green River blades, the 100 dollar log they raised with thei barrel barge was a firewood quality branch, the diving gear would get you killed, and on and on. And "mountain man" Eustace is a nut case that won't pay his taxes. at least his show makes him look foolish and paranoid. Marty Mierotto is the real deal, a real trapper and top woodsman, even though the show made it seem he was going to get eaten by wolves.

Stan, on Yukon men is also a real skilled woodsman and has many talents, though the show dramatizes everything.

Just my opinion, that and a buck may get you a cup of coffee.

Now a real show with real woodsmen is "Happy People" by Dmitry Vasyokov and Werner Herzog. The main character is the best axe man I've ever seen. Catch the Russian version for 4 hours of woodsmanship and no drama.

19. ReallyBigMonkey1

ReallyBigMonkey1 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    That Happy People sounds like a good show to watch. Where can it be seen here in america?

20. Arne

Arne Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You can find it on You Tube, or order it from Barnes and Noble UK.

The 4 hour version is on you tube, and is in 3 parts, it is all in Russian, but you can figure stuff out by watching. The Herzog version is 94 minutes, and shows ancient ski making, actual working deadfalls with caught sable, natives making a dugout canoe out of a poplar log, hunting with Laikas ( an ancient dog breed) cabin building, netting and catching fish. No drama and my wife even liked it.

The fake drama added in American reality shows ruins them and makes the characters look foolish. Excessive drama is unnecessary, we all know how dangerous rapids and bad Ice is, I highly recommend the movie or full length documentary. Awesome!

21. Jim Martinette

Jim Martinette Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I just happened upon this show by accident. It's entertaining, but not reality. The guy Eugene may be a hillbilly from somewhere and he does have some skills. The other guy may have some skills too, I don't know, but he looks more like a Trust Fund hippie to me. He's obviously not a hillbilly. When I was a kid I lived around real hillbillies in Kermit, WV in Logan county (population 434). We hung out at the Purina feed store for fun when we weren't looking for arrowheads or playing in the woods. Those are real hillbillies and the Trust Fund kid obviously did not grow up in the hills. Never the less the show is entertaining, as TV goes. :21:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014