Hillbilly Blood

Discussion in 'Media Forum' started by Jin, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Jin

Jin Scout

Blog Posts:
    Anyone watching that show Hillbilly Blood? I found it on demand, not even sure if there is a channel listed that it's on. But I swear it that guy from Trapper Jacks youtube channel.

Anyhoo, its a pretty decent series out, better than that flop Moutain Men thats for sure!

Also love that Yukon Men series!

Just a heads up if you haven't seen or heard of it.

2. knifeman85

knifeman85 Scout

Blog Posts:
    It is trapper jack...i understand he is from florida.?I do not know where the other guy is from.I do not think its where they are trying to make you believe they are from though.Just a guess.

3. Jin

Jin Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think they are "portraying" if not actually there, Cold Mountain in South Carolina. It's cool it is Trapper Jack, always liked his vids.

Update: NC sorry about that!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  4. NCOutdoorsman

NCOutdoorsman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Cold Mountain is in NC. It's just southwest of Mt. Mitchell, I believe. It is a very remote area with few roads. There are some small towns and villages but it's mostly woods and fields up there. I do believe they hype it up a little more on the show than they need to about there being a mistrust of outsiders. I think in a small community you know most everybody and when someone new pops up, people get curious about who they are. I do like watching that one and Yukon Men though.

I've seen Trapper Jack in some videos that don't look like he's in Florida. Some of the ones I've seen have him in areas that look like the Southeastern woods here.

5. wizard

wizard Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I watched a marathon of all the episodes of Hillbilly Blood, I was not really intending to but once I got to watching it I found I liked it and the ingenuity of the duo. I can understand where they are coming from and the energy they put into projects is inspiring. There is probably some staging going on, typical of the way shows are produced. Good down to earth show though.

I have no interest in Yukon Men or Mountain Men, they may or may not be good shows, just don't interest me.

6. BUSHscandi

BUSHscandi Guide

Blog Posts:
    Trapper Jack, or Eugene Runkis as he is actually called is a good friend of mine. The show is excellent, even if I have only watched it over his webcam as its not available over here. Gene and Spencer do a great job on the show.

7. mischief

mischief Guide

Blog Posts:
    Hillbilly Blood has "all" of them beat IMHO,great show with min.production BS

8. coaldigger

coaldigger Scout

Blog Posts:
    HillBilly Blood TV Show

Anyone watched any of this series on Discovery ? Some pretty good info. ! 2 guys & their family living "Off Grid" in the Appalachian Mountians of North Carolina.

9. tennecedar

tennecedar Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  10. Jin

Jin Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well not to be a jerk, but when you first responded tennecedar, it did come off as a little abrasive. I'm sure that wasn't your intent, just saying that's kind of how it was worded. Good of you to just leave alone after.

Love that show though, seems to be the best out there so far to me. Can't be perfect in TV land of course, but I think they finally did a good job.

11. backwoodsbeagle

backwoodsbeagle Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think the other guy reacted pretty badly though.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

12. bigbore442001

bigbore442001 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I watched the whole series last night on Destination America channel. I enjoyed the shows but I do have some reservations. I did not like the deer snaring part. I am pretty sure snaring deer is illegal in North Carolina. I am not sure if the NC game wardens are keeping an eye out for that situation. Also the show where they were taking a shortcut through a swamp? Really? At that time of year it is not worth it. Wet and cold=death. Not me.

I did like the show in general. I have never really been to that part of the Tarheel State and it reminds me of some parts of Maine or New Hampshire. Very picturesque. I did check the fish and game site and discovered that the deer hunting is not all that great in that part of the state compared to the more agricultural eastern part.

13. BUSHscandi

BUSHscandi Guide

Blog Posts:
    Tennecedar you escalated that massively. Just because you don't agree with someone doesnt mean you have to have an argument with them. Its his life, and he is a far better woodsman than any others I know. Forum people arguing with people with a lifetime of experience in the woods once again goes bad. keyboard warriors eh...

14. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Not to revive another flame war....but I agree with tennecedar. I wouldn't want to attract anything bigger and naturally equipped to kill, than m'self to my campsite. And as for 'forum people' , tennecedar made some excellent examples for his 'arguing' with a lifetime expert......With all the excellent FREE knowledge on this forum, and others by the way, use what works best for you and your needs, but also explain that some techniques are not universal and for everyone....*steps off my soap-box.

15. taterhayes

taterhayes Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Way to hold a grudge.........

If you had really have let this go, then you would not have posted that link. Pretty petty...

16. MJA

MJA Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This is a decent show, did you happen to notice the deer they snared had two huge holes in the ribcage area. It's still better than most of the other junk on tv.

17. 2dogs

2dogs Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    howdy, you are right on, and thanks for having a sense of humor. You can imagine the craziness of responding to some random call from a big shot company, "um, yeah I'll do your show". Haha, I don't recommend even owning a TV so that kind of covers my attitude on the show, all shows for that matter. But it's been educational and fun work, and hard, and I've met a lot of people through the show. This is my first post here at this website. I'll respond to a few more, thanks
    Spencer 2 dogs

18. 2dogs

2dogs Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    well thanks, haha, I think you may be too kind - the second season will be a little better in many many ways. It's very frustrating working with a production company. often their interests are different than our own, and we just have to work it out. In the end, at the end of the day, it's a job really, just much needed work. Please don't think a lot of whats on tv is real of course but hopefully some of the situations and skills can at least be entertaining, show some beautiful places (most of which are my stomping grounds in real life), and perhaps even teach a few cool things.

holler anytime
    Spencer 2 dogs

19. 2dogs

2dogs Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    You are correct and also not at the same time, look carefully - the deer in the snare, actually hanging, has no holes. It's a different deer than the one we were skinning. We skinned both actually but when they cut and do all that mess in post production we almost have no idea what the final product coming out is going to be - I didn't even know the show name HAHA! The holes y ou see are from a crossbow, my buddy got that deer cause we needed help coming up with a legal kill in the 24 hour timeframe we had to work with. There werent no way a dozen production folks following us around would get a real live hunt. It is hard hunting up here, A game stuff, a challenge for the best. Thanks for being understanding of the show, tv is mostly BS to me all of it politics news reality shows hahahaha, take care friend
    Spencer

20. 2dogs

2dogs Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I'm impressed though with the people here compared to most other groups. Yall seem pretty nice and mature. This is the first forum or whatever I joined just cause of that. Other folks just piss and cuss and bitch about all sorts of stuff hahaha, seems like they spend more time on the internet than outside. Take care
    Spencer

21. 2dogs

2dogs Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Spencer here, holler with any questions thanks!

22. 2dogs

2dogs Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Hi there, eugene is from michigan and florida and bryson city NC for last dozen years or so. I'm from NC, born here but then short stints in VA and Ohio, but schooled and lived here most life. I don't have much of an accent by choice, I can put it on when I'm hanging with my buds. They seemed to not want it too much for the show, and I didn't know they were gonna call it hillbilly something or other hahaha, oh well. I live at cold mountain now so that parts real, but I grew up on the north east side of ashevill in swannanoa, not the west side in haywood county. I did stomp the trails clean though over here and have spent most of my time as an adult exploring these ranges around cold mountain. Love this area. Holler with any questions thanks
    Spencer

23. 2dogs

2dogs Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:

Cold mountain is in the north part of shining rock wilderness, which is continguous with some parts of pisgah national forest and middle prong wilderness and a few other places to the south and west. It's wonderful. The show does hype everything up a lot, not by our choice though. They have to make everything seem more dramatic than it is. For example, they ask, "tell us about crossing this river", I'll say "well this isn't a big deal really even if we get wet it's only so and so deep and I got a spare set of clothes.." they'll interupt and ask for how many ways you could possibly die and how we could die....HAHAHA! That's TV and all shows do that to make people that take tv seriously get all nervous or something I don't know. Anyway, ask any questions this is me Spencer from the show

24. YTSESoldier

YTSESoldier Scout

Blog Posts:
    I agree with tennecedar completely...I don't think his original question was at all unreasonable, but the response he received was....I don't care how much experience this dude has...the recommendations he gave to ignorant forumites (like myself) to not be afraid of bears is dangerous and he came off like obnoxiously arrogant. I could care less how good he is and how long he has been doing it, his recommendations could put people in danger....I know I wont be watching his show or youtube channel or tv show. People were asking about the guy in the show and I think the information tenn supplied was very useful in helping me make a decision about this fellow. tennecedar asked his question with the intent to keep people safe....the other guy responded (in my opinion) arrogantly that we should not be afraid of black bears because they don't eat meat...and tennecedar did not start with the insults, the other dude did.

here is how safe black bears are....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America#Black_bear

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  25. GKiT

GKiT Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    rural America but not as far out as I would like
    Nice of you to chime in Dogs. I have some questions. Perhaps non of my business but I will ask anyway.

1. I have enjoyed Eugene's youtube videos for years as he seems to be an interesting yet somewhat bizzare character. I remember that one where he found a rock that looked like a bears head. What a great find. I found a corn chip yesterday that looked like that but it wont hold up as well as a rock. Entertaining and educational stuff. When you google image search him you get several mugshots. What kind of trouble was he in?

2. Does it bother you when the producers describe things in a ridiculous way? or make you out to be a fool? "not much around to hunt during hibernation season" "swamp is full of poisonous snakes and snapping turtles" etc..

3. Was the bottle rocket booby trap their idea or are you really that silly?

4. Aint a bottle of shine worth more than a box of 30-30?

5. How do you avoid the legal issues with making shine and snaring deer?

6. A constant theme is trying to provide for the family. Why not just get a regular job like everyone else? I suppose funds from the show help with that some. How is the pay?

7. Does Eugene have teeth? When he chews he appears to be gumming food as one with dentures may do.

Thanks for your time and good luck with the show. I will continue to watch although it tends to make me yell at the TV.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  26. barkway

barkway Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    It's only 35 miles from Asheville...hardly remote.

27. redneck17

redneck17 Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Just found this show on Netflix. Really got a kick when I recognized some of the gear and techniques used by Spencer. Thought you (2dogs)might be a member here. Really enjoy the show man. Learned a few things.