History of the Bradford Pear

Discussion in 'Tree and Plant ID Database' started by renter6, Nov 25, 2014.

1. renter6

renter6 Scout

Blog Posts:
  2. kisatchieman

kisatchieman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks renter. Yeah, they're a fragile little tree, but they are really colorful around my town right now. I guess this helps to offset some of their other shortcomings.

3. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    We had to remove every Bradford in one of our parks several years ago. The life expectancy is only around 20 years, and once they reach that age, the wood becomes very brittle.

4. longknives

longknives Scout

Blog Posts:
    Poor structure in that tree is very common. I have put several tons through a chipper.

5. darodalaf

darodalaf Guide

Blog Posts:
    Like many, I agree they are pretty in the early spring, and the foliage always looks good. They are pretty drought tolerant, too. At least they look better than most other non-native uban trees in June (the tail end of the dry season) here in New Mexico.

But no love lost for non-native hybrids. If they are a problem, take them down.

6. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    It's a common street tree in my hometown,planted downtown.Beautiful when in flower,and nice Autumn color

7. Heirphoto

Heirphoto Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    When our townhouses were built 34 years ago each house had a small maple planted in the yard by the builder. My next door neighbor dug hers up and planted a Bradford Pear instead. In the spring the contractor went around the neighborhood during the day when everyone was at work replacing any trees that did not survive their first winter. I guess the Pear is slow to leaf up in the spring so the contractor assumed it was dead and replaced her tree with a small poplar. My neighbor had a meltdown when she pulled up at home after work and saw her Bradford pear was gone. They came back and gave her a really beautiful pear which is still there today. Beautiful tree spring and fall.