Holster help?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Kimber45guy, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Kimber45guy

Kimber45guy Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]

Well there she is slicked up. Just got it back from the smithy. He gave it some reliability treatment and added the rail.

That is a novak aftermarket rail. A surefire x300 will be added soon. I wondered if anyone knows of holsters that would fit properly.

I looked into a safariland 6004 model which i carried on duty for a while. I have not been able to get in touch with them by phone or e-mail however to confirm.

I may have to get someone to make what im looking for (both a dropleg and belt holster).

I figured someone here might have some suggestions. Guys, as always your opinions are valued and thanks in advance for any help!

2. okcaveman

okcaveman Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    You mite try Nick Matthews http://nm-holsters.com/. I had him make a IWB and am extremely pleased. His prices and turn around were both very nice.

3. Old School Die Hard

Old School Die Hard Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Simply rugged holsters out of Prescott Az. Great product and great people to deal with.
    I have two and they are first rate American made.

4. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I second the Simply Rugged holsters. I have one of theirs for my Ruger SP101 and don't have any complaints. Many of his holsters also have a set of straps ($15 extra) that will allow most of them to be worn as a pancake or IWB. I don't know if he could make one to fit the rail and light, but it wold not hurt to ask. If I baught a nice pistol and sent it to a smith for tune ups, I don't think I could put it in a kydex combat type holster.

Once upon a time, I saw some complaints about his holsters on another forum, and he commented to send them back and it would be replaced.

5. Arizona-Hermit

Arizona-Hermit Scout

Blog Posts:
    A third for Simply Rugged. Great product, great service, great prices.

6. 2500ak

2500ak Tracker

Blog Posts:
    A fourth endorsement for Simply Rugged Holsters, they did a great job on the one they made for my Taurus Raging Bull. Quality craftsmanship at an affordable price.

7. tree-ratsniper

tree-ratsniper Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm a fan of Safariland & Bianchi but I can't confirm or deny their fitment...

8. SierraSix

SierraSix Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Are you looking for a holster with the light attached or without? If you want something to run with the light attached, the Safariland would be the way to go. They are the gold standard in drop-leg rigs.

On the belt, it depends on leather or kydex, open or concealed?

9. Kimber45guy

Blog Posts:
    Id like a drop leg and a OWB holster sierra. This one wont get carried as much now because it will be wearing a surefire x300. Although in the winter i will continue to carry this one. The light will be attached so definitely a light bearing holster option. Im a fan of kydex.

10. SierraSix

SierraSix Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Definitely look at the Safariland rig for a railed 1911 then.

They have a new version out now called the QLS or something like that. It's a quick detach rig that you can mount on thigh or on belt.

11. IamLegend

IamLegend Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I didn't have a real good experience trying to place an order with simply rugged. Won't go into detail but I will say it was not so bad that I wouldn't do business with them and I wanna make that clear. Only reason I didn't move forward with the order when things were straightened out is that I picked up a uncle mikes, I think it is, to get me by while I was figuring things out with simply rugged. Don't have really anything to compare it to but thought maybe it'll work out. Maybe add some straps myself for chest carry. I'm wondering though if I can wetten the leather and form it a bit better around the gun??? If so something like that could be an option, and much cheaper.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  12. ronins hawkeye

ronins hawkeye Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Safariland is great, however blackhawk makes some great holsters used in alot of military/l.e. operations that are light bearing holsters. If carrying it to conceal look at Raven Concealment kydex. They make an awesome holster for pistols that bear a light. I have a MC operator and carry it in an older universal blackhawk for lights and w/o, and I carry my G19 in a R.C.H. which is setup for a TLR-1 which carries well in all conditions. Just do some research before buying one, and come up with one to fit your needs, and platform.
    Good luck on your quest.

13. NMPops

NMPops Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Many companies make holsters for 1911s with rails so it shouldn't be a problem. One question. Why the "reliablility" work? For the money you pay for a Kimber you shouldn't have to pay extra for reliability!

14. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Blackhawk holsters make a nice rail rig...

Regards,

ezra

15. Swede6.5x55

Swede6.5x55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'd look for older holsters or custom made ones. Why? Because the newer Tagua's and some other brands are using cheap leather that ain't good. I like Bianchi and Galco, but i just know from holster shopping with my papa and trying them on in the living room.

16. SierraSix

SierraSix Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Unfortunately in the 1911 world that is not true. To get one that runs right, you have to spend significantly more than what Kimber charges.

17. Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter Scout

Blog Posts:
    Making your own is always an option. Here is a picture of the holster I made for my Glock 17. Single piece of folded leather, no stitching, no rivets, no glue. Takes about an hour to make and you can buy ammo with the money you save.

[​IMG]

Just my opinion, others will vary.

'drif

18. Kimber45guy

Blog Posts:
    Sierra is correct. Concerning 1911's i can tell you from experience that even full custom guns often require some tuning and tweaking. From my current level of experience with the platform this appears to be caused by manufacturers "cutting corners." From what ive gathered this is common in many makes though your mileage may very.