Home Made Dog proof coon trap

Discussion in 'Self-made Gear' started by castersquire, Nov 30, 2012.

1. castersquire

castersquire Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I got this idea from here on youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvpFM5mRU1c&feature=plcp

Used a drill and drilled a line through the bottom of the Rat Trap to make a trigger assembly with a metal coat hanger using needle nose pliers
    So bear in Mind this is a work in progress

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  2. Friartuck

Friartuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    That kind of trapping seems kinda cruel to me but to each their own. I imagine how I'd feel if I reached into my lunch box and a vice slammed onto my hand and kept me pinned to one spot overnight with a busted hand. I fully understand the idea of hunting and even the trapping, controlling the populations, and I fully support the right of hunters and trappers I just prefer a trap that kills quickly and efficiently. Normally I'd say "I hope that works for you" but in this case I can't really say that. Regardless, it's a good bit of kit for if the SHTF and coon meat is all that stands between my family and starvation.

3. Timothy

Timothy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Do a google search for "conibear dog" if you want to see what can happen with traps that "kill quickly and efficiently". I'm just starting to get educated about trapping, but from what I've learned so far the reasoning behind the laws in places like my home state of New Jersey which prohibit leg hold traps of pretty much any type may be misguided.

4. castersquire

castersquire Tracker

Blog Posts:
    No biggie fellas I just wanted to see if I can build one my state also prohibit's leg hold's only live trap's may be used

5. castersquire

castersquire Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Used pvc pipe with a u bolt
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  6. castersquire

castersquire Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Used some string to hold the trap while I put the grab bar in
    [​IMG]

7. castersquire

castersquire Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Finished the Trap just need to put a back on

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  8. Makarov

Makarov Scout

Blog Posts:
    If a raccoon tries to use your computer in the middle of the night your all set. :4:

9. Survival Jeff

Survival Jeff Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thats not a bad set up! Looks to me that it will more likely hold the coon in place rather than break any bones. If you were spending the night out in the woods and had some of these set up nearby, you would know when you got one. Coons are anything but quiet when angry, distressed or annoyed. Lots of good meat on em and depending on the time of year, a very useful hide for making things to keep warm. Just be ready when you approach a trapped coon, they are violent critters and have a good set of sharp pointy teeth on em. Best to dispatch them with a headshot from a .22 from a few steps away. Good luck!

10. The Kid

The Kid Scout

Blog Posts:
    if they are quiet when you walk up to the trap be ready cause he's just waiting to tear you up my buddy thought he had caught a tame coon.... well lets just say he had some funny marks on his face at school the next day hahah:18:

11. GKiT

GKiT Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    rural America but not as far out as I would like
    Interesting idea but I see a durability problem with it. It will not hold up for very long as a trapped raccoon will chew the heck out of that wood and will bend the soft wire and the rat trap trigger bar. May hold a coon but the rat trap spring is weak. It would need to be inspected for damage very carefully after each catch. Take a look at a Lil' Grizz Getter and see how that thing is built like a tank. It needs to be or it will not hold up on a trap line. If you just wanted to mess with making one then I understand that too! Nice job as far as that goes.

Unlike some of the other folks, I do hope you can use it. That is how you will learn what works and what does not.

12. MysticFlight

MysticFlight Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Great job! Let us know how it works.

13. GKiT

GKiT Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The dog proof traps do not "bust up the hand"

One of the advantages of a the dog proof traps is that the foot is contained within the tube, preventing any chewing of the foot. Sometimes, in a foothold trap, if the toes get numb and their is enough space under the jaws, a raccoon will chew on its toes/foot as the numb area just becomes part of the trap at that point. This behavior is unique to raccoons and is often misunderstood as the animal "chewing off his foot to escape" which is a pile of garbage. Anyway, the dog proof traps enclose the foot and thus prevent any of this kind of damage.

A better piece of kit for a SHTF situation is a commercially made trap that has been tested and proven but if you did not have one, this may be made to work, even if you had to check the trap every 15 minutes to prevent an escape.

14. castersquire

castersquire Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Redesign the trigger now has a twist this thing is sensitive when it goes off I do agree that a coon would tear this thing up I do know if I do ever use it I would use it with some small bell's to signal a trapped coon

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  15. Makarov

Makarov Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have seen some Mole traps similar to this pattern the tunnel is dug up and the pipe is put in the tunnel with the trap up and a board put over the whole to keep it dark, you might figure out a trigger for that also.

Eric

16. wisconsinwalter

wisconsinwalter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I disagree, it does break the arm. I use these exclusively for coon on a farm I trap. I have broke the arms of cats, possums and coon. Maybe not a boar, but smaller coon for sure

Being cheap is one thing, but the OP's trap is the kind that gives trappers bad names. I get you are trying to "bushcrafty" but that is wrong, If i saw this trap out without a trap tag, i would report to DNR in a heart beat! Where is the stake chain?? What kind of stake will you use. You will never find the coon or the trap. There is more to trapping than the trap

Spend $12 and buy a duke dog proof. You probably bought the rest of your gear

[​IMG]

If this offends you, sorry, your attempt offends me

17. wisconsinwalter

Blog Posts:
    Btw, the first part of my post was about breaking arms, the second half was about the trap

18. GKiT

GKiT Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have no experience with the Duke dog proof but have caught many, many hundreds in the Lil Grizz. A few will break the bones at the wrist but it has been a small percentage in my experience. Most break problems are due to entanglement after the catch, not from the trap itself.

19. wisconsinwalter

Blog Posts:
    Lil grizz are a little weaker in the spring I have several. I really like the stake on the Dukes

20. castersquire

castersquire Tracker

Blog Posts:
    No offense taken I did plan on putting a bolt in the back running a chain through it to put a stake line in and if you had read my post
    I will not be able to test ***this trap*** reason being leg hold trap's in my state are illegal to use.
    But if the shtf meaning economic collapse then I would use it no question's asked granted it wouldn't last long

21. wisconsinwalter

Blog Posts:
    Sorry to be short, trappers lose so much access because of the lack of education on both sides. Coons feces in barn can be toxic to feed, they were the biggest carrier of rabies until skunk recently overtook them so farm reduction is crucial

We just gained access to public land in my county and the first thing in the first week was a guy set up a conibear right on the boundary and kills a small dog off leash while owner was illegally walking it

If i were prepping, i would make a weasel box type instead

22. GKiT

GKiT Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think it is neat that you are tinkering with this as some great things have come out of messing with stuff like this. However, remember that it is a dog proof trap.....if your not catching and eating dogs, the "S" has not hit the fan yet. A drawback to the dogproof traps is that they are more species specific than a normal foothold. You do not want a species specific trap in a SHTF situation...you want ANY protein. A better set up to have on hand would be a foothold that could catch and hold a variety of small, med and med large animals. The smallest something like a no. 11 double longspring (great trap for its size). The last thing I would want in a serious situation would be an untested makeshift trap. The exercise of making it is great because you will understand the workings of it and could make one if needed...but...... not knowing if it will actually work, catch and hold the animal takes a lot away from the project. Keeping a few commercial traps on hand is not a bad idea.

23. castersquire

castersquire Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thank's not trying to get anyone upset.
    On a sidenote the spring's have started to weaken so a commercial trap would be better off than this.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  24. Friartuck

Friartuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    Wow, I wish I could unsee those pics. I see the point about being "dog-proof". I would be pissed if my best friends got caught up in one of those conibear traps so I'm fully advocating the use of dog-proof versions.