Homemade Hard Apple Cider - Video Tutorial

Discussion in 'Food' started by Lerch, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Lerch

Lerch Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have promised a few folks here that I would make a video tutorial on how to make my prison hooch hard apple cider. This is a fairly sweet hard cider. It takes about 7 to 8 days from start to drink. It is about 7.5% alcohol by volume according to the measurements taken with a hydrometer. Most people seem to like it but it is possible they are just being polite :D. At any rate I like it.

This is the first part of the tutorial. I am not much of a video guy so you'll have to excuse my novice attempt at this video. I'll post up the rest as the cider progresses.

[video=youtube;15bt05Jl8AQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15bt05Jl8AQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Just added part two.
    [video=youtube;_kV21-Q6K9E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kV21-Q6K9E&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Here is the final part.
    [video=youtube;GpQSxlZI69M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpQSxlZI69M&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Hard Apple Cider

You will need:

Required:

1 gallon jug
    Lid or stopper for jug that can accept an airlock
    Air Lock
    Half packet of Red Star Champagne Yeast (yellow packet)
    4 cans of frozen apple juice concentrate

Optional:
    2nd 1 gallon jug
    Syphon
    Wine stabilizer
    Sanitizer such as StarSan
    Funnel
    Pitcher

Basic Recipe (See the video for more details and tips):
    First sanitize your equipment by whatever means you choose. I prefer to use StarSan for this but you can use boiling water if you prefer.
    Second, thaw and add three cans of apple juice concentrate to your one gallon jug.
    Thirdly, add 7 cans (use the empty juice can as a measuring device) of warm water to the jug.
    Now, add half a packet of Red Star Champagne yeast. You can seal up the remaining portion to use on a later batch.
    Cap and shake vigorously. You will want to shake a little and carefully uncap to vent, and then continue shaking.
    At this point you will need to put the lid or stopper in and add the airlock.
    Put it on a shelf somewhere and let it sit for about a week. When the airlock indicates fermentation has stopped it is time to rack the cider. If you have a siphon now is when you will use it. I use a wine siphon but a length of food grade plastic tubing will work. If you do not have a siphon handy you can just pour it slowly, be very careful to transfer as little of the sediment off the bottom to the new container. If you have a second one gallon jug you will transfer the cider to this. If you do not have a second jug you can transfer it to a pitcher, clean your first jug and then transfer back to the first. Don’t forget to sanitize everything at this step as well.
    Now replace the airlock. Let it set for another day or two. We will now do a final rack. I rack it back to my original jug but you can juggle it through a pitcher like before if you need to.
    Once it is in its final jug we will back sweeten. Add the final can of apple juice concentrate to the jug and shake it.
    At this point you can add a chemical stabilizer such as potassium sorbate to halt any further fermentation. I find that if it is going right into a refrigerator and will be consumed in a month or so this step is not needed. If I am doing a 5 gallon batch I will do this as it will begin to ferment the new sugar added in the back sweetening process.

Refrigerate and enjoy.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  2. BushMetal

BushMetal Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    im getting

"this video is private"

3. Lerch

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, I just fixed it. Sorry about that.

4. Rescue2

Rescue2 Guide Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Lerch brought a jug of this brew to a camp out last Nov. It got re named prison hootch as seen in my avatar. Good stuff and thanks for the video.

5. Chiral

Chiral Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like a fun project. Thanks for the info and hope to make this soon

6. Lerch

Blog Posts:
    The fermentation has completed so I will be shooting video in just a little while of the racking phase. This is day 5 since the batch was started. We are right on track. I'll try to get the video shot, edited and posted up tonight or tomorrow morning.

7. Shnick

Shnick Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Subbed!
    Thanks Lerch...

8. Memnos

Memnos Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Looking forward to seeing what it looks like. I'm gonna try this soon. Thanks for the tutorial.

9. Lerch

Blog Posts:
    I just added part 2 of the video series to the first post of this thread.

Thanks for watching guys.

10. grizzlyjoe

grizzlyjoe Scout

Blog Posts:
    Heading to the home brew place today to try this out. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

11. gunner65

gunner65 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I do a similiar brew but I use the glass 1 gallon jugs of 100% apple juice I get at good foods. Just add yeast and stopper. Sometimes I make larger 5 gallon batches.

12. Lerch

Blog Posts:
    That works too I like the little extra alcohol kick I get from the extra sugar by using a heavy concentrate. I was finding when I did just straight Juice alcohol level was lower. With just juice I was coming in about 4 to 5 percent abv.

13. golfpro1286

golfpro1286 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This sounds really good, I bet it would be really good heated over a fire with some mulling spices, may have to try this...

14. CKjeep84

CKjeep84 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yup......looks like another project to add to the list,lol...good stuff man

15. Lerch

Blog Posts:
    Just added the final part to this video series. The video clip is in the first post of the thread.

16. Memnos

Memnos Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Just ordered my airlocks and stoppers as well as the red star yeast. I hope to give this a try next week!

17. Lerch

Blog Posts:
    Awesome. Let me know how it goes for you.

18. redmech

redmech Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Good stuff, I will add also, I have had Lerch's hard apple cider and it is very tasty stuff.

19. DonnieW

DonnieW Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Props for taking the time to make the videos. Can't wait to try this.

20. rdraider

rdraider Guide

Blog Posts:
    What's the alcy content on this concentrate stuff? I might have t give it a try!

haven't brewed in 6 years, been itching!

21. Lerch

Blog Posts:
    I have tested multiple batches of this recipe using a hydrometer and it comes in around 7.5% abv. Maybe a bit more. The reason it breaks that 5% barrier that straight apple juice hits is that the juice we start with is still concentrated. I use 7 cans of water and 3 cans of juice. The correct ratio to reconstitute the juice would be 9 cans of water to the 3 cans of juice. I find starting with a concentrate gives it more apple flavor as well as more sugar for the yeast to convert to alcohol. It seems to me that that when I add enough sugar to break 9% or so the flavor of the alcohol overpowers the flavor of the apple. Most the store bought stuff is 5% so I figure 7.5% is plenty strong.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  22. rdraider

rdraider Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a recipe somewhere for an apple pie cider. Sounds really good.

23. GMScooter

GMScooter Guide

Blog Posts:
    Question. If after back sweetening you bottle this like beer and wait a week before refrigerating shouldn't it come out carbonated? Have you tried anything like that?

Oh, and thanks for a great tutorial. I didn't know you could use concentrate!

24. Lerch

Blog Posts:
    Oh boy. Did I find out the hard way about bottling. I have a very nice bottling setup. Nice press style capper and the works. I like to bottle in recycled WoodChuck bottles since they are short and stubby as opposed to long neck bottles. So here is the deal. After you back sweeten you can bottle but the bottles need to be refrigerated. If you leave them out the yeast will over-pressure the bottles and depending on the quality of your capping either brake the seals and whizz cider all over or EXPLODE and send glass dust into every nook and cranny in the room.

If you back sweeten and immediately refrigerate or add stabilizer you "should" be safe. The yeast will continue to ferment the cider a little in either case and will allow for it to be carbonated. The carbonation is different than that of a beer or store bought hard cider. It is more akin to the carbonation of Champagne. It has to do with the fact it is naturally carbonated as opposed to having compressed CO2 pumped into the bottles the way commercial products do.

As I have found anytime you bottle you do risk a catastrophic failure but sometimes it is worth it :D.

Good luck and keep me posted to your results.

Lerch

25. GMScooter

GMScooter Guide

Blog Posts:
    Dang it Lerch! Now I have to try out. I've done beer and I love hard cider. Of to the stout tomorrow I guess.... LOL

26. Lerch

Blog Posts:
    Hahaha, I've never made beer before but from what I understand this is way easier.

27. GMScooter

GMScooter Guide

Blog Posts:
    Oh yes. This looks much easier. Faster too .

28. chrisnapril

chrisnapril Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Have you ever had the fermentation take longer than 5 days? I followed the directions you posted. Used the same juice concentrate and the same Red Star yeast. I started my batch Friday night at 2100. I had planned to do the first rack today. When I checked the airlock a few minutes ago it is still perking away and does not appear to be slowing down. I have a thermometer next to the gallon jug and it is just about 61 degrees. If I allow it to go another day do you think there will be any trouble or problems? I added a little too much yeast. It was not half a packet, it was more like 2/3rds. Could that be what is causing the longer fermentation time? I would have thought it would have finished faster with more yeast. I have another batch going with a gallon of real cider from a local mill. That batch was started at about 1300 on Saturday and it is perking well. I am anxious to try the two batches and compare the differences.

29. redmech

redmech Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Well Lerch getting ready to start a batch, but I can't find my air lock. I know I had one, will postpone until I get some more parts. Thanks for the help earlier today.

30. Lerch

Blog Posts:
    Sorry for the slow reply, been crazy busy. Yes I have had it go longer. At 61 degrees I'd expect it to run a fair bit slower. Your right at the lower edge of the spectrum were fermentation will even occur. I keep mine in my main floor which holds about 70 to 72 degrees Fahrenheit. Drop be low 60 and it will pretty much cease producing at all. If you can bring the jug into an area that has a warmer temp things should speed up.

Also if you ask a question here and I miss it please PM me, it will go to my email right away and I should see it. I will try to respond as quick as possible. Keep me apprised. I am real interested to hear how they compare.

Edited to add: I changed my thread subscription so I should be emailed on any posts on this thread. Hopefully I don't miss any more questions here.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  31. fGsltw

fGsltw Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Cider

THANK YOU FOR MAKING THIS POST!!!

I have always wanted to try this but never did. All my stuff came in started my first batch at noon on Saturday.

i hope it works this easy, I'm really looking forward to trying it.

thans again
    Jim

32. chrisnapril

chrisnapril Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hey no worries. It all worked out. Thanks for replying. I did go back and re-watch the videos and they answered some of my questions. I finished the batch made with the concentrate today. I racked it twice. After the second rack, two days rest between the first and the one today, it cleared up a lot. I calculated it at about 6.2% using a hydrometer. I did use some Potassium Sorbate to stabalize it since I have two gallons working right now. This is the first hard cider I have made and it came out pretty nice. I like the taste, not a whole lot different than a Woodchuck. The batch made with real apple cider came out with a little less alcohol. Using the hydrometer it was about 5.3%. I did the first rack today. I had a taste test and it is still pretty sweet but it had stopped perking through the air lock so I think the yeast was finished. I do not think I will back sweeten this one. I am going to let it rest a couple of days then do the final rack and stabalize it. At that point I should be able to get a pic of the two side by side so you can see the clarity and I will do a taste test to see what the differences are. When I get these finished I think I will make another batch with the concentrate and ferment it at a higher temp (~70ish) to see if that will get the % alcohol up closer to what you were recording.

33. Lerch

Blog Posts:
    Excellent. I am glad it worked out for you. When the first batch comes out drinkable like this I know it's is a good recipe.

34. radar3321

radar3321 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Just a quick question. I have a one gallon glass growler from a local brewery that i was thinking of using. My question is it is brown not clear like everyone else is using. Will that make a difference with any of this?

35. GMScooter

GMScooter Guide

Blog Posts:
    Radar, the color of the glass won't make one bit of difference in the brewing process. The amber color will help protect it while in storage....if it lasts that long. :)

36. radar3321

radar3321 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Ok thank you i dont mean to sound cheap i know a new jug at that much but i figure why not i already have it why not try it. Thanks again

37. chrisnapril

chrisnapril Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I finished the batch I made with actual 100% cider. It turned out pretty good as well. I did not backsweeten as it still has plenty of sweetness up front but finishes with a little bite like a dry wine. I am pretty happy with the results, especially for the first two batches I have ever made. I added a picture of the original apple cider that I used so you have an idea of how the hard cider looks after fermenting. It looks very similar and I do not think you could tell the difference by comparing side by side.

Attached Files:

38. Lerch

Blog Posts:
    Yes I totally agree with GMScooter. Some guys brew this in food grade 5 gallon buckets. The container doesn't matter as long as it is food safe. I would discourage using thin walled water or milk jugs just because they could burst under the pressures but probably wouldn't.

That looks excellent. I have never made it with real cider before but I probably will give it a shot at some point. I think Mead is next on my to-try list.

39. forgeblast

forgeblast Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was able to find a place near me that uses uv light to filter its cider. Since I do a lot of homebrewing I decided to do cider this year also.
    I found that if I took a cup of cider out, that I could drop in english ale yeast, so4, and i used so5 an american yeast (both dry safeale yeast) that a stopper and air lock
    fit ontop of the plastic gallon jug perfectly. I let it ferment 7 days and then racked to grolsch bottles (the ones with the bale and cap combined) and have it cold conditioning in my fridge now.
    I may try to back sweeten it but I want to see what happens once it ages a bit.

40. chrisnapril

chrisnapril Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Guys in terms of aging what do you recommend? I feel both of these are able to be drank today. Also what should a normal shelf life be for home brew without preservatives. I did use stabalizer in the apple juice concentrate batch. I have been interested in home brewing and have made some beer from a little kit but that is the extent of it so far.

41. The Stumpy One

The Stumpy One Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have been a mead maker since the 1970s, I grew up in the southwest of England where a lot of very good mead (and cider, or "Devon tequila" as we like to call it) is made. I might start a new thread about mead making this week. Making mead teaches patience though, the best show meads take a long time to get to their best. Keep your fermentation temps as low as you can, or you will end up with the worst hangover imaginable. For entertaining reading on this subject try Tacitus for his chronicles of the Romans obliterating mead hung over Britons.

42. rdraider

rdraider Guide

Blog Posts:

I made a batch of mead 6 years ago now (I think) and it took quite a while to become drinkable. Been letting it age since, and might try a bottle for the superbowl to see how its doing. Have about a case of 750s left. Might just go ahead and get a new one started.

I used 12 lbs honey and 6 lbs of mixed berries.

43. Lerch

Blog Posts:
    I admit I normally don't worry too much about aging. I have let some age a few months and do feel that it got better with age. It lost a bit of the harsher yeast bite that it had when it was "fresh". I kind of like a little yeast taste, the subtle note reminds me of a good handmade bread a little.

Also a comment on the speed of the fermentation as I have received some questions regarding this. The warmer the temp (to a point obviously) the quicker it ferments. Also you end up with a harsher bite the faster it ferments. I try to shoot for the 5 day mark on my primary fermentation as it is a good compromise between speed and taste. If your cider finishes in 4 days your probably ok any quicker may be pushing it a bit. If you drop the temperature into the mid 60s F the fermentation will become so slow you will barely notice any activity.

The best cider I have ever made used a different yeast from Lalvin. It was a much less aggressive yeast that took about 30 days for the primary fermentation to complete. The final product was very fruity while not overly sweet. So there is a trade off to using the fast aggressive yeast.

44. 1911srule

1911srule Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Excellent thread. This is why I love coming here! Gotta try my own brew now...

45. GMScooter

GMScooter Guide

Blog Posts:
    So I finally got a spare bit of time and here it is. First batch in the jug! You can really see the yeast swimming along, huh?

[​IMG]

I think, being the experimental type that I am, if this batch does turn out well I will back sweeten the next with something like cherry juice or such. I can't help but tinker.

46. adkwalker

adkwalker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What do you think would happen if I back sweetened with cinnamon schnapps

47. GMScooter

GMScooter Guide

Blog Posts:

That could possibly be too much awesome to contain in a simple glass jug, sir. :) I was actually thinking of tossing some cinnamon sticks into a batch as some point. Probably it would be in the secondary and give it a few extra days at room temp with the sticks in.

48. Lerch

Blog Posts:
    Great stuff guys! Keep me posted. It is my goal to intoxicate educate everyone at BCUSA. ROFL! I have a 5 gallon jug that will be racked into the secondary soon. One of my coworkers suggested I backsweeten a gallon with grape concentrate. Make a hard Grapple. I think this is a great idea and I will keep you all posted with the results.

49. GMScooter

GMScooter Guide

Blog Posts:
    Grapple! Brilliant! A full review....possibly pics.....are required. :33:

50. radar3321

radar3321 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I second that motion. All in favor say AI!!