Homemade Knife from Circular Saw Blade

Discussion in 'Self-made Gear' started by LukeDeBee, Jan 17, 2011.

1. LukeDeBee

LukeDeBee Scout

Blog Posts:
    I looked around for a place to post this. If there is a better place, please let me know.

I read elsewhere how it is possible to make a knife from a circular saw blade.

I thought I would give it a go, since I had an old saw blade, and some time today.

[​IMG]

My dremel and a metal cutting disk did a great job. Having finished one, I decided to try another style, plus a small blade I hope to use as part of a carving set.

[​IMG]

The one in the middle seems to fit my hand the best. There is nothing new here as far as a design. I basically followed a tried and true pattern for a sheath knife.

I really don't know what kind of steel it is, but a bastard file can work the metal. Does this mean it will need to be hardened more? Can you help me out with this, I am real "green" about metal work and hardening steel.

Thanks,
    Luke DeBee

2. tjwilhelm

tjwilhelm Scout

Blog Posts:
    Looking forward to watching this project progress!

3. NightOwl

NightOwl Scout

Blog Posts:
    this is cool. can you do a video? just askin.. :D

4. Rubarb

Rubarb Contributor

Blog Posts:
    me too, like the look of all of them.

5. Two Rivers

Two Rivers Guide

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a good project. All 3 look like they could be useful.

6. Son of liberty

Son of liberty Scout

Blog Posts:
    I cant tell from the photo, but if the blade has carbide teeth then the steel is not ideal for a cutting tool. In most cases particular blades can be made in to good knives but with so many blades out there its hard to find the good ones. You need the older type or a new one that is not just hardened on the teeth.

Best bet IMO would be to heat treat it again before you grind the bevels and see just how it dose. Because the steel is relatively thin you wont have a whole lot of work to do while its hard. If you grind it first you will have to leave the edge a bit thick to prevent overheating using primitive hardening techniques. Myself not knowing what type of steel it is would heat until a magnet docent stick to it and slightly longer then quench in mineral oil, fallow that up with a temper at 450 deg in your oven at home. You can reach the heat you need to harden it in a BBQ with charcoal and an air supply, blow drier, air compressor, bellows, or even a tube to blow, but don't inhale!.

If that docent seem like an option then just work it as it is and see if it will take and hold an edge or sharpen part that you dident use and see how well it dose.

A friend of mine makes his carving tools from masonry nails, they are hard already and he just files then to shape and sharpens them up, they work great.

7. Lg&m

Lg&m Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like the idea and have thought about it myself. I wish we knew what kind of steel is was. I will be watching with interest. Thanks.

8. karlsefni01

karlsefni01 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I hope it works out buddy! good idea, look forward to seeing more of it!

9. donk

donk Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Nice looking knives. Good for you on using existing materials. I agree with SOL above, if the blade has carbide teeth added to a steel blade it probably won't heat treat. Looks good though. Inspiring.

10. LukeDeBee

LukeDeBee Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks...
    The old blade doesn't seem to have carbine on the tips. A medium bastard file shaped the saw blade tips with out much trouble. Would this be the case if it was a carbide tip? I put an edge on this steel to test it. It cut well into oak, but the edge didn't hold.

So my conclusion is that I will make this into an good old lesson in the school of life. I plan to follow up with some more shaping, and then try my hand at hardening this unknown steel using the magnet test. Why learn something from this.

One step at a time....

Comments and insights most welcome.

Luke DeBee

11. Big redneck

Big redneck Scout

Blog Posts:
    Darn it!! I go through a a lot of blades sometimes 5 or 6 a month. I guess I will keep a few for projects.

12. Son of liberty

Son of liberty Scout

Blog Posts:
    All is not lost , that just means that the steel could have been tempered down to provide a nice spring surface to support the hardened tips. You would not be able to get anything off the teeth if they were carbide short of a green wheel on a grinder. This is actually good news as now you can harden the edge and make a decent cutting tool.

I would always suggest that one start with known steel, its cheap and knowing what your working with dose help. Its not expensive to make your own knife, its just time consuming. If you want to send them to me ill heat treat them for ya and send them back, just drop me a pm.

13. mainewoods

mainewoods Maine bush nut Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Looks Like a Good Start My Friend, Can't wait to see the finish Knife! Thanks for sharing.

14. petrifiedwood

petrifiedwood Guest

Blog Posts:
    Seems like a non-carbide saw blade would be differentially hardened using induction nowadays to heat just the teeth, right?

15. Son of liberty

Son of liberty Scout

Blog Posts:
    bingo !probably an air hardening steel as well

16. Independent

Independent Scout

Blog Posts:
    Looks good. I particularly like the shape of the middle one. I made a few similar blades when I first got started. The problem I encountered was not finding blades made of L6. I finally acquired a few old relatively giant sawmill blades that were probably something similar to L6 and was able to make some relatively clunky choppers and such, but that's a lot of work to go through to duplicate a machete. With the smaller saw blades I never did achieve anything that would hold an edge worth a darn. I think the problem was my inexperience with picking the better saw blades (ie, not the carbide toothed ones) and my lack of understanding of how to heat treat things that aren't 01 or 1095. That said, it's pretty cheap to pick up blanks of the appropriate materials compared to how much work one can sink into a sawblade cutout that will never measure up to even a cheap Old Hickory butcher knife. I sincerely hope that comment does not dampen your spirits or quelch your enthusiasm. Keep on keeping on. But there are some thing you learn as you go along. One thing I learned after I'd pretty much transformed a garage into a metal shop is that when it comes to knife making, ... I'm a BBQ cook.

17. solocanoe

solocanoe Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    When I scrolled to the first pic my first thought was "dang! another reason why I need a REAL dremel!" lol!
    (I was given one last Christmas...but it's a rechargeable...totally gutless / worthless thing.)

anyway...congrats on "seeing" that blade in there! What an idea - very cool! Keep plugging on the edge thing...but geez...seeing that blade hiding in there...and getting it out...good on you, man! :)

18. LukeDeBee

LukeDeBee Scout

Blog Posts:
    Another great idea to try!

Thanks

Luke DeBee

19. lobstercreek

lobstercreek Guide

Blog Posts:
    hey, its good experience, learning what might work and what doesnt is hard work.
    good job starting and working on it. my first 4 knives were made of useless bed frame metal. I Learned that metal is not good for a knife. surprise. I had a lot of fun working on those and learned a lot. so keep at it. if the saw blade doesnt work just get yourself some 0-1 or 1095. its great easy steel for making knives. keep progressing.

20. Adam B

Adam B Guide

Blog Posts:
    Plenty of good advice here. I would add that you might want to try your heat treat on the remaining scraps of the blade--you'll get more tries to heat treating it right that way.

You can bring it to non-magnetic and let it air cool, see if that hardens.
    If not, oil quench it and see if that hardens
    Finally as a last ditch you could brine quench it.

Another thing you may or may not have noticed: What did the sparks flying off the Dremel look like? Though it cannot tell you what steel you have for sure, if you've got a simple carbon steel you'll see great branching on the sparks.

21. LukeDeBee

LukeDeBee Scout

Blog Posts:
    What I noticed was that it looked like a 4th July sparkler. Is that what you mean? Was that a good sign?

Luke DeBee

22. tnrick55

tnrick55 Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Yahoo! Messenger:
    rickemt55
    SAW BLADE KINVES

HERE IS MY SAW BLADE KNIVES. nessie.jpg GOOD LUCK ON YOURS YOU HAVE A GOOD START.

23. Adam B

Adam B Guide

Blog Posts:
    Luke,

That is a VERY good sign. Skip the water and oil quench it first. My guess is that you're gonna have some nice blades.

24. Adam B

Adam B Guide

Blog Posts:
  25. LukeDeBee

LukeDeBee Scout

Blog Posts:
    I never knew this stuff. Very practical!! Thanks for directing me to this info. There has been so much encouragement to me as I learn about these things. In other settings it would not be uncommon to be have these interests belittled or dismissed. Thanks for the encouragment &support. Great forum. Info / pics posted here to pass it on .

Luke DeBee

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark_testing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a link with pics for HSS / carbides. My blade sparked with forks alot more than anything here.

http://www.webuycarbide.com/SparkTest.html

Then following your lead, I found this site ....

http://forum.ih8mud.com/chit-chat-section/159460-some-silly-metallurgical-questions.html

with these pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks. Just passing it on as I'm passing on through this journey....

Luke DeBee

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  26. mosinfan462

mosinfan462 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    nice looking blade

27. Big'n

Big'n Tracker

Blog Posts:

Any chance on getting some pics of those?

28. Son of liberty

Son of liberty Scout

Blog Posts:
    here are the ones on my desk, you get the idea though, one is a chisel point, one is a background tool, one is a blade with no handle. I have various others around but not right in front of me.
    [​IMG]

29. Big'n

Big'n Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Those are pretty cool. Off to the hardware store tomorrow to get some nails.

30. LukeDeBee

LukeDeBee Scout

Blog Posts:
    A friend on this forum offered to harden the blanks for me. Before this was done he touched them up on a sanding belt to profile the edge. He was so helpful with advice and even sent me some brass rods for fastening the scales.

Blessings to him for helping me out like this.

Well here is a picture after he returned them to me:

[​IMG]

The top one is my favorite. All the scratches are from my file work before I sent them blanks to him. I still have to finish drillling the holes. The middle one is going to be a small wood whittle knife. I haven't decided what to do with the bottom one yet.

I'll keep you posted as I make progress...

Thanks again friend!

All the best,
    Luke DeBee

31. BadgersDen

BadgersDen Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Great idea, I love the progress and the finish of the uppermost knife. I can't wait to see the finished product and will give these a go myself.

32. Dr. Redneck

Dr. Redneck Guide

Blog Posts:
    might have to try that myself

33. Tyronethepro

Tyronethepro Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Great looking knives, great work there, no doubt about it.
    I believe saw blades are L6 steel.

34. ElectricHellfire

ElectricHellfire Scout

Blog Posts:
    Great little blades. If they are L6 steel that is a good thing! I love L6.

35. bsred

bsred Guide

Blog Posts:
    Whatever came of these?

36. stronghorse

stronghorse Guide

Blog Posts:

Great job!

37. crusher

crusher Scout

Blog Posts:
    Good on you,
    This is one reason I like this forum so much, everyone seems to step up and help out each other...