How did you get started in Geocaching?

Discussion in 'Geocaching' started by HardLuck682, Jan 14, 2014.

1. HardLuck682

HardLuck682 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'll tell my story, and you can follow suit, if you'd like to share.

I was deployed to Iraq in 2007, I ordered a Garmin GPSmap 60cx to use in theater. I saw there was a mode called 'geocaching' and had no idea what it was at all. From my research and going to geocaching.com, it looked like a fun way to be taken off the regular trail. As it was, there was one geocache on my base in Ramadi, Iraq. I set up my GPSr and went off to find it. BAM! There it was!

I got back home I the states. While I don't geocache often, I do every now and then. Also, my daughter loves to go 'treasure hunting' with me. I've only logged 46 finds thus far, but I do have finds logged in places many people just cannot go; Afghanistan, Iraq, Kyrgyzstan, Kuwait... Also I have one logged in Germany, as well as several in the US.

Also, I'm still working with the same GPSr, and would like to get into using that as a backup and using map and compass as primary navigation.

...sent from my mind, using telepathy!

2. JPAZ357

JPAZ357 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I bought a Garmin (one of the Rhino units with the FRS radio) for hunting back in 2002 or so, and discovered geocaching while reading about different things to do with GPS on the internet. Gave it a shot and liked it. Stopped 'playing' for a while and now unfortunately can't remember my original username or password so the lady and I now share a new account, but we traditionally only go out geocaching in the cooler months here. Once Archery Deer season is over at the end of this month I figure we'll be back out for a few more finds!

3. salty dog

salty dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A friend at work was telling me about it, then I read an article in the paper that followed a family looking for one in a local park. It sounded interesting, and I had a GPS that I used for hunting, so off I went to one just down the road. I was hooked. I really liked the idea of something hidden in plain sight from everybody who didn't know it was there. At first I looked for everything, stacking up lots of finds. But I have lost the fascination of finding a key holder in a guard rail and have become much more selective. Now I mostly use it to find interesting places when I travel.

4. shootinsharp3301

shootinsharp3301 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    A few years ago my grandfather came up to visit and he asked my opinion of whether he should get a gym membership or buy a GPS to go treasure hunting with. Naturally I was curious about the treasure hunting and wanted to know more! He explained how he had heard about geocaching from a friend at his work. We both decided the fresh air and mild walking involved would be equivalent to the gym membership;) Now we geocache almost every time we get to see each other. We have made a lot of memories doing it and we have traveled to so many interesting places we never would've gotten to see otherwise. Lots of good fun!

5. AncientNCO

AncientNCO Tracker

Blog Posts:
    After buying a GPS in 2000, I realized the enclosed instructions were pretty much useless. It told me about all the features, but no practical application. So I found a book on line that gave some scenarios on what features to use. In the back of the book there was a listing of GPS related activities. That's where I found out about geocaching. I went to geocaching.com and started looking for caches in my area. Back in the day, you didn't need to be a GC member, some time around 2002 they made you start an account. Shortly after that I went to a premium membership and got hooked big time. While two of my friends Salz69 and Michigan Chris have well over 24,000 finds, I'm still at something like 1695 or so. I've since lost interest and don't cache anymore. Unless of course there is some in the area I'm hiking in.

6. Simpson

Simpson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I stumbled on a large cache yrs ago but last time I visited it someone stole everything. The ammo can and stainless floating marker are still there so it's still operable.

7. BluenoseRumrunner

BluenoseRumrunner Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Moved to a new city, didn't know my way around. Found a post on a geek blog about it, got a cheap GPS at walmart then used the urban caches to find an apartment.

8. Bush_Hack

Bush_Hack Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I never really started but I'd like to try it some day. So far, my experience consists of stumbling upon the melted remains of a cache after doing a controlled burn and not thinking anything of it. I figured it was the usual, just some trash left there but a coworker pointed it out and explained it to me. This was a few years ago and prior to that I had no idea people did this stuff.

9. Collin Szatkowski

Collin Szatkowski Tracker

Blog Posts:
    South of the North pole, North of the South pole
    I found my first geocache by accident. I saw a film canister that need to be "appropriated" for a project of mine, tucked in a light pole. I got it out and found that it had peoples names in it! It seemed fishy until someone told me it is called a geocache.

I still want that canister!:mad:

10. JaynEss

JaynEss Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Black mountain range of Western North Carolina
    Susan and I have never found a cache. However, after watching a piece on TV in late 2000 we decided to set up a cache. On January 13, 2001 we established one of the oldest if not the oldest traditional cache in N.C.. Jack and Susan's Roaring Fork Cache. We have enjoyed the many visits that have been listed.

11. gazalin

gazalin Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I was looking for something different to do with my son and stumbled upon geocaching. Now he is hooked so in turn I am hooked. Fun activity and he is competitive with me so it adds to the hunt. Enjoy...

12. Baehr

Baehr Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I was hiking Eagle Mountain Lake in Fort Worth. I stumbled upon what I though was a hobo camp off the beaten trail and saw an ammo box sitting under a log. I called out to see if anyone was near and heard no replies. I decided to investigate this box since my curiosity was too great and it was full of junk. Inside the lid was a print out stating that this was a geocache and I was hooked. I still have the pin from the box on my sun hat and I placed a cheap folding knife inside as my token to the geocache box.

13. tough mudder

tough mudder Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    tough mudder

I bought a gps with really no idea how to use it. Wanted it for hunting but just wasn't comfortable with its use the along came geocaching. That game provided my a reason to learn how to put coordinates in my gps and, along with maps and compasses locate a particular place on the map. It is great practice for using all three (map ,gps, and compass) together to locate a spot on the map. With a utm map tool you can plot coordinates and find your location or the geocache with ease. After I got comfortable with my nav. tools I continued to geocache (mainly in the fall and winter when the leaves are down), because there are some mighty clever people out there and some of the caches I have found were quite amazingly hidden. I continue to cache today because it is a great practice tool to keep your nav. skills sharp.

14. JEB

JEB Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have had a GPS for years and just can't figure out how to use it. Even bought a used cheaper model thinking it would be easier. Guess I am a dumb ass when it comes to electronics and my wife would probably concur. I have checked high and low for beginner GPS classes but no such luck.

15. MEwoods

MEwoods Tracker

Blog Posts:
    One day a friend and I decided to do a hike. It was sunny and warm and early spring. We made the top in time to get caught in a blizzard. We had a hard time getting down, and at one point I slipped on some muddy rocks and fell about 10 feet down some rocks. I stuck my hands out to brace for the fall and my left arm went into a hole! I was at first worried about breaking an arm, and then realized someone had "dropped" a tupperware dish in the hole... I looked through the contents and then did some google research.

Thats my first experience with geocaching!

16. Southeasterly

Southeasterly Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I haven't ever geocached but I've been thinking that it would be a fun hobby to get my kids interested in hiking and scouting. I'm a land surveyor and I've got access to a lot of cool old maps (I work for the USFS). There are literally thousands of interior property corners scattered throughout the National Forests, where the adjacent tract of land was purchased and the old boundary line and property corners remain behind. The old property lines were probably eventually logged, but I stumble upon these property corners all the time. Here in a metes-and-bounds state a property corner can be anything from a pile of rocks to a car axle - but there are lots of concrete monuments with brass caps out there too. In public land states you're likely to find some kind of corner at every section or quarter section corner.

While it's not technically geocaching, looking for these old property corners is a lot of fun. Digging up the old legal description of the tract is sometimes an adventure in itself, along with finding the original plat... In the colonial states I think it's especially fun to look for corners because they typically used geographical features as property lines... so a legal description might read: "...thence 15 chains northerly along the meanders of the ridge to a stone, witnessed by a 12" chestnut bearing N15E .34 ch; thence S13°E 3 chains to a 48" Spanish Oak; thence..." Looking for evidence of this kind of stuff is probably the most fun part of my job.